Dive-In burger question

torybruno

Have not been on a carnival ship with Guys but the Dive in burgers seemed about the same as the pre guys burgers on Carnival.

I did not care for the Dive in fries myself. I think I ordered burgers 5 times and it took 10-20 minutes , so a little slow. Also every order they got something wrong. Wasn't a big deal I was just surprised they had so much trouble getting the orders right.

I will be on a Carnival ship with Guys next Saturday so I will be able to compare :)

I've had burgers on HAL ships before & after the Dive In, a burger is a burger didn't taste any different, the fries are excellent. Wait times are still long & on the Maasdam in Jan they did not have the little buzzers.

Allan

I've had burgers on HAL ships before & after the Dive In, a burger is a burger didn't taste any different, the fries are excellent. Wait times are still long & on the Maasdam in Jan they did not have the little buzzers.

Allan

How strange. When we got off the Maasdam Dec. 19 they were still using the pagers.

Allan

Maasdam had the buzzers in June 2014.

We took a family cruise last summer and "had" to use Carnival. I did a great deal of research on all aspects of the ship and frequently read that Guys burgers were wonderful! My husband can eat burgers 24/7, so he was thrilled to hear that but was disappointed when he ate one! We think the Dive In burgers are much better. Wait time ranged from @0-15 minutes; port vs sea days and time of day can make a big difference.

:confused:

Skip the Dive-In fries, and ask for an order of frizzled onions instead.

To die for. :D

OK I give up.. What are "Frizzled onions" ?

Another thing, will they cook the burgers "Rare" at the Dive in? I really enjoyed the Burgers on Oceania, but the last time on HAL could not seem to get a rare burger.. I know the story that you should not eat rare meat, but I'm still doing it.. I have that right since I've lived to a ripe old age.. If I get sick & die they can toss me to the whales but I'm not going to give up a nice Rare burger.. :eek: :D

We think the wait at Dive In is justified :). On some other lines you will not have to wait because the burgers are pre cooked and kept hot (often in a hot water bath). In the Dive In the burgers are usually made to order...hence the delay. My major complaint about Dive In are the use of batter coated fries. While this ensures they will be crispy, we would prefer fries made with freshly cut potatoes (twice friend will make them perfectly crispy).

On our recent Prinsendam cruise the hot dogs were excellent as were the buns. But the buns were much too large for the pretty skinny dog. I found myself wanting either a fatter dog or a skinnier bun. But the dogs were still good....especially with the frizzled onions and lots of mustard.

Hank

:confused:

OK I give up.. What are "Frizzled onions" ?

I haven't a clue how to cook them, but they seem to be onions that are fried, but there's no batter. They are crispy, so not as if they were pan-fried. They are different from onion rings.

Just try them. If you don't like them, no harm done.

I order my burger medium-medium rare, and I get it that way. Much, much better than the old days where it was always a little past well-done. Yuck. :(

I haven't a clue how to cook them, but they seem to be onions that are fried, but there's no batter. They are crispy, so not as if they were pan-fried. They are different from onion rings.

Just try them. If you don't like them, no harm done.

I order my burger medium-medium rare, and I get it that way. Much, much better than the old days where it was always a little past well-done. Yuck. :(

Terrific..thanks for the info Ruth..I'm looking forward to a good burger on our next cruise..

Ah ha..Have to try them some day..Thanks

And you can order off menu or design your own. On Zuiderdam last week, I created a burger with tomato, cheese, and grilled onions. Planning on one tomorrow when I board the koningsdam unless the NY Deli wooes me over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And you can order off menu or design your own.

Oh, yes. I look at the board of available selections as a list of ingredients, and build a burger to my specs with what they have on hand.

Never had a problem with that.

[/b

Okay....so poutine is french fries with a brown gray ladled over it? I live in california so has anyone seen cheese curds here or is it cottage cheese? Saw pictures of it and it looks so good. What do cheese curds taste like? Similiar to feta crumbles ?:confused:

And in case folks don't like burgers, the chicken sandwiches are great!

I was about to add that, too. They were good last month on Zuiderdam. (Yet for some unknown reason on the now-gone Ryndam last year they had no chicken sandwiches at the Dive-In.)

You've been on Maasdam 27 times since they rolled out the Dive In concept?! That's close to a dozen cruises a year. Very impressive!

there's always a wise guy.. and the answer is nope..been on the Maasdam a total of 27x

.how many for you....if you digress with reading every post word by word I got a bridge from my old home town to sell you..

you want to come on strong you'll get it back the same way

Sure wish I could get my hands on the recipe for the Dive In sauce!

I asked what was in it when we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the crew member at the serving window said it was mainly barbecue sauce and mayonnaise, with a few other things. I think the other things were a little mustard and spices. I'm going from memory here, but I'm positive he said the base was bbq and mayo.

I asked what was in it when we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the crew member at the serving window said it was mainly barbecue sauce and mayonnaise, with a few other things. I think the other things were a little mustard and spices. I'm going from memory here, but I'm positive he said the base was bbq and mayo.

I think I've heard there was some mustard in it. I sure do love it on my fries!

[/b

Okay....so poutine is french fries with a brown gray ladled over it? I live in california so has anyone seen cheese curds here or is it cottage cheese? Saw pictures of it and it looks so good. What do cheese curds taste like? Similiar to feta crumbles ?:confused:

It's more than feta or cottage cheese. The curds are larger and aren't as squeezed during production as what you're thinking of. From Wikipedia:

In the basic recipe for poutine, French fries are covered with fresh cheese curds, and topped with brown gravy.[23] In a traditional Quebec poutine:

French fries: Usually of medium thickness, and fried (sometimes twice) such that the inside stays soft, while the outside is crispy.

Cheese curds: Fresh cheese curds are used to give the desired texture. The curd size may vary but is usually slightly smaller than bite-sized. Poutine cheese curds are different from regular ones in that they are not produced by cheddaring (weighting and pressing to squeeze out whey and to firm them). Instead, poutine's "squeaky" cheese curds are cooked, then allowed to cure to develop tanginess.

Brown gravy: Traditionally a light and thin chicken, veal, or turkey gravy, somewhat salty and mildly spiced with a hint of pepper, or a sauce brune which is a combination of beef and chicken stock, a variant originating in Quebec. The gravy should be substantial, but still thin enough to easily filter down into the mass of fries and cheese curds.[15] These sauces typically also contain vinegar or a sour flavouring to balance the richness of the cheese and fries. Traditional poutine sauces (mélange à sauce poutine) are sold in Quebec, Ontario, and Maritime grocery stores in jars or cans and in powdered mix packets; some grocery chains like Sobeys even offer their own house brand versions. Recently, some outlets have begun to offer vegetarian gravy as an option to cater to vegetarians.[24]

Heavy beef or pork-based brown gravies are rarely used. To maintain the texture of the fries, the cheese curd and gravy are added immediately prior to serving the dish. The hot gravy is usually poured over the room-temperature cheese curds, so that the cheese is warmed without completely melting.[15] It is important to control the temperature, timing and the order in which the ingredients are added, so as to obtain the right food textures which is an essential part of the experience of eating poutine.

You have not truly lived until you've eaten true Quebec poutine.

I lived most of my life in Quebec and now live a few minutes drive away. Over the years, I've eaten my share (and perhaps more than my share :) ) of "true Quebec poutine", but the poutine I had aboard the Maasdam last September was the best I've ever eaten!

It's more than feta or cottage cheese. The curds are larger and aren't as squeezed during production as what you're thinking of. From Wikipedia:

Mu husband wants our next cruise to have some Canada stops and you can bet the first thing I want to try is the poutine......it sounds to die for!!!!:p

[/b

I have seen cheese curds in Costco here in the Bay area. There are other places I have seen around here as well. Curds is cheese, just not pressed into shapes like blocks.