Refund or Credit?

scorchestra

Refund or Credit?

We’re taking out first cruise in a few weeks. As it now turns out we may not be able to go. My mother is going in for an angiogram and if things do not turn out well she may end up having open heart surgery, so I will have to stay for that.

I understand that there is, at this point, no refund. Does that mean we loose all of our money or will they give us ship credit to take a trip some other time?

You may want to check your travel insurance policy for this, and refer to the refund schedule which is from X's website and most likely included in information forwarded to you at time of initial reservation through final payment. These conditions do not provide for either a refund or credit. If you do not have travel insurance, you may want to reach out to X directly, as we cannot tell you their response in a situation like this as each case is different.

I hope your mother will not require such drastic surgery and wish her speedy recovery.

bon voyage

If you have no insurance that will cover this event, then you are at risk of losing all your money.

A few cruisers have reported that Celebrity has allowed some allowance toward a future booking, not the full price of the lost cruise, but better than nothing.

If one of you can go, perhaps you can find a roommate who wants to join the trip. As long as one of the original passengers is still on the booking, the second person can be a substitution.

Thank you for your responses and for your good wishes. Sadly, I did not buy travel insurance. I thought it was steep and felt I did not need it, but life happens.

I leave on May 27th form Vancouver on an Alaska curse. My plan was to arrive on May 23rd to Vancouver to enjoy a few days. My mother's appt. is on May 18th, so they'll probably schedule her angiogram shortly after and I really need to be with her. I would feel terrible to ask her to wait or do it sooner just to accommodate my vacation.

I'm sad to loose so much money, approx. $8,600, and sadder to know we will probably not go on this trip that we've so much been looking forward to and dreaming about. It was my son's graduation trip. At the same time I'll trade it all if my mother turns out fine. Hoping for the best, If you have an extra prayer throw it my way.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Thank you for your responses and for your good wishes. Sadly, I did not buy travel insurance. I thought it was steep and felt I did not need it, but life happens.

I leave on May 27th form Vancouver on an Alaska curse. My plan was to arrive on May 23rd to Vancouver to enjoy a few days. My mother's appt. is on May 18th, so they'll probably schedule her angiogram shortly after and I really need to be with her. I would feel terrible to ask her to wait or do it sooner just to accommodate my vacation.

I'm sad to loose so much money, approx. $8,600, and sadder to know we will probably not go on this trip that we've so much been looking forward to and dreaming about. It was my son's graduation trip. At the same time I'll trade it all if my mother turns out fine. Hoping for the best, If you have an extra prayer throw it my way.

Don't give up before trying a phone call to X. Legally they may not be obliged to do anything for you but definately worth a try. If you are going to loose everything if you cancel why not just leave the cruise booked. You do not know until after your appointment with the consultant what the likely time schedules for any possible procedures are. Nothing to loose...

Sincere best wishes for your mothers health...

It was my son's graduation trip. At the same time I'll trade it all if my mother turns out fine. Hoping for the best, If you have an extra prayer throw it my way.

Of course, there are always enough prayers to go around and then some! It is posts like yours that many of us here on CC would do anything to help, were it in our power, but alas, please ring up X to see what they will do for you in this impending event with mother.

Good luck and hopefully a bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

You are allowed to change person in the cabin as long as one person must be the original booking. If just you are not going, you can norminate a substitute.

Honest question here - not being mean or snarky.

How does your mother feel about you canceling the trip because of her?

I know my dad has had some health issues the past couple of years, and he has explicitly told my sister and me that he would never want us to cancel long-anticipated plans just to sit by his bed. He would rather we be out living our life. I may be almost 45, but he would kick my butt if I sacrificed something I'd been dreaming about and planning for (and had already paid for!!) just because of him.

All families are different - that's why I asked the question.

Honest question here - not being mean or snarky.

How does your mother feel about you canceling the trip because of her?

I know my dad has had some health issues the past couple of years, and he has explicitly told my sister and me that he would never want us to cancel long-anticipated plans just to sit by his bed. He would rather we be out living our life. I may be almost 45, but he would kick my butt if I sacrificed something I'd been dreaming about and planning for (and had already paid for!!) just because of him.

All families are different - that's why I asked the question.

I was scared when I got an angiogram, mostly because it was new and unknown. I can understand why she and her mother feel the same anxiety. I had my wife who was there for me and admit it was comforting to know she was there. Still, it was such a non-event that in hindsight, I wouldn't have even had her take the day off work. I'm absolutely the type though that would feel just awful for someone to sacrifice a trip of a lifetime and 8k just to comfort me. WrittenOnYourHeart brings up a good and fair concern. One you might consider Sharing with your Mom. Best of luck on any decisions and hope you come up with a satisfactory conclusion to your dilemma.

Edited by SetU2

First off, prayers for your mom! Hope all is fine with her and maybe there will be some way for you to still enjoy your vacation.

Just curious....you say that the travel insurance was expensive and you chose not to take it. Was the insurance offered by Celebrity?

If it was, there are plenty of other places to buy travel insurance at a much lower price. There is a thread here on CC on the main message board page that is devoted to travel insurance information.

For our upcoming cruise to Bermuda, Celebrity wanted over $1000 to insure the 3 of us (penthouse booking, that's why so expensive)

I went to one of the more popular travel insurance sites and got insurance for a little over $500, quite a savings!

My sister and mom in a sky suite at a cost of $4500 got their insurance for $280.

You just never know what can happen and with travel being so costly, that few extra bucks is well worth it for piece of mind in case of an emergency.

Like others have said, I would definitely call Celebrity or your travel agent and see if anything can be done towards a future cruise.

Good luck!

I feel your pain. My husband and I had to cancel an Alaska cruise with Princess two years ago due to my own health problems. When we first realized we might need to cancel, we could have gotten 25% back from Princess, which didn't seem like much, so we decided to let it ride and see if my health improved. It didn't, and since we didn't have travel insurance we lost everything we'd paid for the cruise and flight. Fortunately, we were able to get some money back from shore excursions and our pre- and post-cruise hotels. We'd committed $6000 and got $2000 back, which means we lost $4000. It was a valuable lesson. I'd thought we were too young to need travel insurance, but I was wrong. Now we always get it, and we're hoping to be able to afford another try at Alaska one of these years.

OP, please come back with your update...life can change in an instant with little or no warning...[emoji120][emoji120] for your Mom! Also, call Celebrity and find out your options like others have said above on your thread. Good Luck!

I would advise you to sit back and wait. First of all, your actual cruise is nine days after your mom's test. I'm a nurse that has open heart experience, and unless your mother is emergent, she may have the angiogram, and then be scheduled for surgery an entire month later! Also, if you cut back some of the time in Vancouver, you could still go on the cruise. Her tests may come back without the need for surgery at all. Or maybe just a stent. You didn't mention if you have other family members, but perhaps if you stick around for the testing, you'll find you can still fit your vacation in after any possible surgery, as long as she has a little help after she goes home. I know this is a scary time for you and her, but take it one step at a time. A prayer that all goes well, and you still make your trip with your son.

Oh, wow everyone! I’m so impressed! I did not know I had any more replies because I did not get a CC notice like I usually do. I read all of your responses and I must take a moment to say that this is exactly what made me sign up for a cruise - all of you!

When I first thought of taking a cruise I started looking for reviews, that is how I found cruise critic, which I did not know existed before. I am actually a DE on TripAdvisor (Hawaii) so I am familiar with how generous the travel community can be, but you guys are beyond awesome! I commented to my husband what an incredible tight knit and helpful community there was in cruisecritic and that is what really convinced me to book a cruise.

Well, I do have an update and I will say that prayers work! I went to a doctors apportionment with my mother today and it seems like she will have an angiogram, but she does’t seem like she needs it right away. I gently asked her to please not schedule it when I am away and she said she would not. So, I think we’re good! All prayers are appreciated and I hope that she will come out fine and not need major surgery.

I am taking the cruise with my husband and son. I won’t cancel as some of you suggested and will hope for the best. We’re scheduled to sail on the Mille.

Once again, I am truly moved by your comments and care. Wish I could take all of you with me! Want to go? : )

Oh, wow everyone! I’m so impressed! I did not know I had any more replies because I did not get a CC notice like I usually do. I read all of your responses and I must take a moment to say that this is exactly what made me sign up for a cruise - all of you!

When I first thought of taking a cruise I started looking for reviews, that is how I found cruise critic, which I did not know existed before. I am actually a DE on TripAdvisor (Hawaii) so I am familiar with how generous the travel community can be, but you guys are beyond awesome! I commented to my husband what an incredible tight knit and helpful community there was in cruisecritic and that is what really convinced me to book a cruise.

Well, I do have an update and I will say that prayers work! I went to a doctors apportionment with my mother today and it seems like she will have an angiogram, but she does’t seem like she needs it right away. I gently asked her to please not schedule it when I am away and she said she would not. So, I think we’re good! All prayers are appreciated and I hope that she will come out fine and not need major surgery.

I am taking the cruise with my husband and son. I won’t cancel as some of you suggested and will hope for the best. We’re scheduled to sail on the Mille.

Once again, I am truly moved by your comments and care. Wish I could take all of you with me! Want to go? : )

So happy to hear the news about your mom and that you will still be going on your cruise. I, like many others, never used to purchase insurance when I was younger....but I lucked out and never had to cancel a trip for which I didn't buy it. Now, I purchase it every time and know it is an extra expense that just leads to the overall total cost but have seen many reasons other than cancelation to purchase it. One trip, for which I had purchased it, had to be canceled. I bought it because my parents were elderly but I used it after coming down with a ruptured appendix .... thankfully, right before our trip and not while onboard.

Best of luck to your mom and hope you are able to have a wonderful cruise with your family.

Hello Friends,

Remember me? Just an update here, my mother is fine, but I’m not. I broke my foot! I had a little accident; wrong floor, wrong shoes. My foot twisted and I felt a lot of pain and and actually heard a snap. After an X-ray it was determined that I broke my 5th metatarsal, it completely broke, not jut a fracture, but all the was thru.

Needles to say I’m in a lot of pain. Regardless of the break, the doctor said that he does not think that I will need surgery, so that is the good news. It should heal, he said it would be a bit unusual that it would not heal in someone healthy as I am (knock on wood). I am wearing a boot (soft cast) and am on crutches and still in a lot of pain, but hoping that the pain is a little less each day.

The Doctor said I could still go on the cruise, but not on any walks. As you all already know, I do no have trip insurance, so if I cancel I loose all the money. I am bummed about it because I was planning some nice hikes and I love to walk. I pictured myself walking around the town Ketchikan and enjoying the scenery.

Have any of you ever been in this situation? Any suggestions? Do you think I’ll still enjoy the cruise. We are supposed to leave in 2 weeks to Vancouver for a few nights before starting the cruise.

Sorry for this new situation, yet I vote for going, you will tour 'differently' and not as planned. I Am sure there have been and will be other cruisers who have been in a similar situation and adjusted to it.

This means, you will not be walking around as much as you wanted, but there will be other activities on ship and at port(s) which you can do.

Please go and enjoy, this will help you plan for a return visit when you are fully healed!

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953