Explorations cafe

I find it depends on the day. There are pastries (like eclairs and small cakes) and sandwiches (ham, cheese & tomato or tomato, Basil & fresh mozzarella).

I have found they run out quickly some days and there is nothing left by 2:00 pm. Other days, I see the sandwiches there when I'm getting a hot cocoa for bedtime.

On the NA several weeks ago they had little, bite-size chicken salad and egg salad sandwiches, raisin scones and chocolate and pistachio biscotti. And different types of cookies - I didn't notice what kind.

Thanks crew news. Do you know if they are available on embarkation day? We are planning to have a late breakfast before going to the port about noon (San Diego). We may need a snack by mid afternoon and I was thinking of an alternative to the lido.

Thanks crew news. Do you know if they are available on embarkation day? We are planning to have a late breakfast before going to the port about noon (San Diego). We may need a snack by mid afternoon and I was thinking of an alternative to the lido.

They were available on Embarkation in both San Diego and Vancouver on the NA.

FWIW there is a giant chocolate chip cookie available. There is no charge for snacks even if you don't purchase anything.

There is also the Dive In by the indoor pool open on Embarkation Day.

They were available on Embarkation in both San Diego and Vancouver on the NA.

FWIW there is a giant chocolate chip cookie available. There is no charge for snacks even if you don't purchase anything.

There is also the Dive In by the indoor pool open on Embarkation Day.

I found it depends on the staff/ship whether you can have the cakes/sandwiches without making a purchase. Sometimes there is no issue, other times a drink purchase is required. I've always made a purchase, but I know other passengers who have been told the cakes/sandwiches are for customers only.

I have noticed the same thing -- on some ships there has been a note that pastries and sandwiches are available with the purchase of a drink.

In our 4 HAL cruises we have experienced the same thing. We've never been able to have one of those items without a beverage purchase. This area really needs a uniform policy.

Many of the snacks in the Explorations are the same as those served in the Neptune Lounge. Especially the small sandwiches. Just not the same variety as available in the Neptune Lounge.

There is a cinnamon bun that is only served in the Explorations Cafe and it disappears quite quickly in the morning. They are the best cinnamon buns on the ship and you need to be there as soon as they come out.

I am assuming I can use my signature beverage card with explore 4 as my purchase and still get the pastries/sandwiches.......and how is the Neptune lounge set up (see thru glass areas served by staff ??) This is our first time on HAL thanks

I am assuming I can use my signature beverage card with explore 4 as my purchase and still get the pastries/sandwiches.......

That should work for you. It's supposed to work that way, and has for me.

I am assuming I can use my signature beverage card with explore 4 as my purchase and still get the pastries/sandwiches.......and how is the Neptune lounge set up (see thru glass areas served by staff ??) This is our first time on HAL thanks

The SBC is not an actual card, you simply present your rmm-key-card as all other pax do and it's handled in the accounting.

The Neptune Lounge is serve yourself.

As I type this post, I am munching on a huge chocolate chip cookie from the Explorations cafe here on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

The electronic menu at the back of the bar has a statement that "Pastries and snacks are complimentary" showing at the bottom of the screen. Two previous patrons requested lattes and asked for pastries. My request for a cookie was not questioned.

Chicken salad on whole wheat and egg salad on sourdough sandwiches were available.

As I type this post, I am munching on a huge chocolate chip cookie from the Explorations cafe here on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

The electronic menu at the back of the bar has a statement that "Pastries and snacks are complimentary" showing at the bottom of the screen. Two previous patrons requested lattes and asked for pastries. My request for a cookie was not questioned.

Chicken salad on whole wheat and egg salad on sourdough sandwiches were available.

This makes it sound like other posters who have experienced being asked to make a purchase for the treats are lying.

As we well know, nothing is consistent from ship to ship on HAL, and sometimes things aren't even consistent two cruises in row; sometimes they're not even consistent two days in a row.

I would recommend to the original poster to ask about the treats on their cruise.

This makes it sound like other posters who have experienced being asked to make a purchase for the treats are lying.

As we well know, nothing is consistent from ship to ship on HAL, and sometimes things aren't even consistent two cruises in row; sometimes they're not even consistent two days in a row.

I would recommend to the original poster to ask about the treats on their cruise.

(bolding mine)

That's one of the most sensible things I've heard today :)

Edited by CowPrincess

• 9 months later...

Just off a cruise and all the treats in the glass case in the Explorations cafe were without extra charge. The little sandwiches and mini scones with cream and jam were my favorites. It was like going to Tea , but without having to go at the actual tea time. They also had full size sandwiches many days, also delicious , and without charge.

I was on the Zuiderdam earlier this month. They had the complimentary sign up about the pastries and other snacks. The only ones they charged for were the commercially produced cookies that came in wrappers. I don't remember exactly what they were, but it was some sort of Dutch cookie, I believe. We never purchased beverages and had no problems getting a snack the few times we wanted one.

Just off a cruise and all the treats in the glass case in the Explorations cafe were without extra charge. The little sandwiches and mini scones with cream and jam were my favorites. It was like going to Tea , but without having to go at the actual tea time. They also had full size sandwiches many days, also delicious , and without charge.

It would help OP if you stated what ship you were on.

Why the late breakfast??? Show up hungry and devour! :-)

You can do better than cookies from the Exploration Cafe. We usually board late and have no trouble getting a meal from the Lido (open until 2pm, I think) or a hamburger from the grill. Pizza and other items are often available from the Lido buffet after normal hours.

If this fails, there is always room service.

igraf