Anthem The Grande skip options

We are booked early classic and my cruise mates don't want anything to do with formal at the grande. Can we choose to do dynamic at any of the other MDRs or are we stuck at the buffet or specialty?

And you have a 25% chance of being assigned to The Grande on the first evening, when the faux formal dress code is waived.

DW and I will be on the 7-day 5/14/2016 Anthem sailing. We have DD Classic 8:30. Is there a way pre-cruise to find out the restaurant rotation? Even if we get Grande the first night we will dine there again on night 5.

Normally I bring a tux for formal nights. Works great when I drive to ports on West Coast. However, I fly to east coast for this cruise followed by 5/28/2016 cruise on NCL Escape out of Miami. Hoping not to need formal wear. Is coat required in Grande? Tie? Are nice slacks with dress shirt acceptable?

Thanks for any help.

Russell

DW and I will be on the 7-day 5/14/2016 Anthem sailing. We have DD Classic 8:30. Is there a way pre-cruise to find out the restaurant rotation? Even if we get Grande the first night we will dine there again on night 5.

Normally I bring a tux for formal nights. Works great when I drive to ports on West Coast. However, I fly to east coast for this cruise followed by 5/28/2016 cruise on NCL Escape out of Miami. Hoping not to need formal wear. Is coat required in Grande? Tie? Are nice slacks with dress shirt acceptable?

Thanks for any help.

Russell

We sailed on Anthem not intending to go to Grande but decided on the spur of the moment to try it. My DH had on a dress shirt and slacks and they handed him a jacket to wear in. Once seated, he hung the jacket on the back of his chair like all the other guys had done. After a while someone came around and gathered up all the jackets to hand out to more guests. It was unbelievable watching guys walk in wearing shorts, tees, and a jacket.

I cannot say if it will be the same on Anthem.

The Grande is for folks who want to dress up. There is no need to partake if you don't want to dress according to the dress code. That's why they did this...so folks who DON'T want to dress up don't have to!

Thanks for any help.

Russell

We sailed on Anthem not intending to go to Grande but decided on the spur of the moment to try it. My DH had on a dress shirt and slacks and they handed him a jacket to wear in. Once seated, he hung the jacket on the back of his chair like all the other guys had done. After a while someone came around and gathered up all the jackets to hand out to more guests. It was unbelievable watching guys walk in wearing shorts, tees, and a jacket.

I cannot say if it will be the same on Anthem.

There is no way to know before your cruise what your rotation will be. There will be a paper in your cabin. This was mine.

Anthem%20Dynamic%20Classic%201%20dining%20schedule_zpsfwcxpqj6.jpg

Note my mention above of the "faux formal dress code". No need for a tux.

The Grande is for folks who want to dress up. There is no need to partake if you don't want to dress according to the dress code. That's why they did this...so folks who DON'T want to dress up don't have to!

For the first time ever, and most likely the last, CB said something that makes sense.

I do agree though. If you don't want to dress formal, why go to the Grande? The casual folks already got away with no ship-wide formal night. Is it really necessary for them to invade the ONE formal venue on the entire ship. And shame on Royal for not enforcing.

For the first time ever, and most likely the last, CB said something that makes sense.

I do agree though. If you don't want to dress formal, why go to the Grande? The casual folks already got away with no ship-wide formal night. Is it really necessary for them to invade the ONE formal venue on the entire ship. And shame on Royal for not enforcing.

I agree with you. But the reality is not what you or I want. Just like everything else, there is NO enforcement of a 'formal dress' policy. Faux Formal is an accurate description, IMO.

I agree with you. But the reality is not what you or I want. Just like everything else, there is NO enforcement of a 'formal dress' policy. Faux Formal is an accurate description, IMO.

It's quite a shame.

I'll still dress formal for the Grande, as well as formal nights. It is easier to ignore those who don't dress up, than it is hoping that Royal will enforce things.

I appreciate the insights and comments from all of the responses. Don't think that I will bring my tux but will take coat/sports coat. Looking forward to restaurant rotation and their respective menus.

From what I've been informed by my TA -the grande is a rotation complimentary -& we won't know what was booked until arrival to cabin -all aware of is early sitting -as party of 17 -with some children

The key to the Grande "formal" dress code is to understand that RCI doesn't mean "formal" as most folks would understand that term. At Grande, no tie is required for men, nor is a dress shirt, not even a jacket. If a man turns up without a jacket, he'll be given a loaner, which he need only carry to his table and hang over his chair. Calling this "formal" is a big joke.

More important, nothing about the food or the service in Grande when we ate there (on the TA) was special enough to warrant any sort of "formal" dress code.

Because it has the strongest menu of all the complementary restaurants.

We booked The Grande on the first and the last night of the cruise, when the formal dress code doesn't apply, but could have eaten there every night because we liked the menu!

Edited by DonnaK