Uh-Oh, just broke my leg, cruising in 9 days....any tips.

candigirl

Thank you cruise critic friends for all for your suggestions. Some good food for thought. I broke the tibia right below the knee. If I am in a cast, (fiberglass sounds awesome, I've never heard of that kind) I doubt the knee scooter is an option. Even without a cast I think that would be way too painful. I'll have at least 1 Dr. appt. before next Friday and will ask. Although I was mentally fighting the idea of a wheel chair, you all have made some excellent points. My mom has a collapsable one I could certainly borrow. I've been to Ensenada too many times to count so I am perfectly fine just staying on the ship. I will call again, but Carnival special needs department sounded like they checked cabin availability out pretty thoroughly. There are not many handicap cabins on the Inspiration to begin with and it sounded like most of them were being used by people with motorized scooters. They did offer to have a wheelchair on board, but because I have access to one I passed on that offer. I am platinum but my son who will be assisting me is not and he is in another cabin so priority check-in if he is in another line in another building isn't going to help. I figured I would have to go with him into the dome. However perhaps I can call and they would allow my son and nephews to check in with me. Honestly, if they weren't going with me I would really question even going. I'll make another call today, double check on cabin availability and check-in. Again, thank you all for your suggestions.:)

Accept wheelchair assistance, whether in your own WC or their's. The pushers know how to get thru the crowds and coordinate the different loyalty levels.

The wheelchair also needs to be stored in the cabin.

Medical supply has special waterproof bags for casts. Could also get a waterproof cast.

Edited by SadieN

Thank you cruise critic friends for all for your suggestions. Some good food for thought. I broke the tibia right below the knee. If I am in a cast, (fiberglass sounds awesome, I've never heard of that kind) I doubt the knee scooter is an option. Even without a cast I think that would be way too painful. I'll have at least 1 Dr. appt. before next Friday and will ask. Although I was mentally fighting the idea of a wheel chair, you all have made some excellent points. My mom has a collapsable one I could certainly borrow. I've been to Ensenada too many times to count so I am perfectly fine just staying on the ship. I will call again, but Carnival special needs department sounded like they checked cabin availability out pretty thoroughly. There are not many handicap cabins on the Inspiration to begin with and it sounded like most of them were being used by people with motorized scooters. They did offer to have a wheelchair on board, but because I have access to one I passed on that offer. I am platinum but my son who will be assisting me is not and he is in another cabin so priority check-in if he is in another line in another building isn't going to help. I figured I would have to go with him into the dome. However perhaps I can call and they would allow my son and nephews to check in with me. Honestly, if they weren't going with me I would really question even going. I'll make another call today, double check on cabin availability and check-in. Again, thank you all for your suggestions.:)

Go to the special assistance person at the port. If you haven't gotten it ahead of time, just ask someone who works there when you arrive and they will point it out. They will get you a wheelchair (first come, first serve), and you and your party will check in on a special line and board right at the beginning.

I broke my leg while on a cruise, so I had to learn quickly! I strongly recommend a wheelchair! Some of the bathroom floors (in the public areas) were so slippery that my crutches wouldn't "grab." The whole ship was accessible in a wheelchair-- amazing!

I have mobility issues and always rent a scooter for our cruises. The price is reasonable and allowed me to get everywhere on the ship. They drop the scooter in your room before you get there. You leave it in the room when cruise is over.

Call and get wheelchair to enter and exit cruise.

Happy Sailing

Hoping your mom's wheelchair has the big rear wheels so you can push yourself at least some of the time. Otherwise, there is a wheelchair rental place in Anaheim right off the freeway. Shoot....can't remember the exit, but you should be able to easily Google it.

As for Ensenada, if you do get off the ship, beware that the exit ramp is not wheelchair friendly. My sister got stuck. However, we did the winery tour and the bus driver and tour guide were very helpful and there wasn't anywhere she couldn't get to on the tour.

Also, we were on Imagination and her wheelchair didn't fit through the door. She got hurt two days before the cruise so we were in a regular cabin too. Just a caution.

Good luck! Enjoy the Serenity deck!

Go to the special assistance person at the port. If you haven't gotten it ahead of time, just ask someone who works there when you arrive and they will point it out. They will get you a wheelchair (first come, first serve), and you and your party will check in on a special line and board right at the beginning.

I often wonder. If a person is waiting for w/c assist, where do they wait?

See a Blue Coat. We've seen HC assist wait at the planter closest to the Little Building. It's the first seating you come to after crossing the street from the parking structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I often wonder. If a person is waiting for w/c assist, where do they wait?

I don't know at all ports, but in Miami when you go through the door. You have people to screen you to the side (for security), and then the special waiting area is to the right before you have to get stuck on the lines.

I don't know at all ports, but in Miami when you go through the door. You have people to screen you to the side (for security), and then the special waiting area is to the right before you have to get stuck on the lines.

The OP is going out of Long Beach. I've seen people waiting for wheelchair assistance in the Captain's Lounge (used for Platinum/Diamond/Suite people). But with LB, they usually don't do the same thing every time.:rolleyes: Best to ask a Carnival employee that is usually standing by the check-in lines.

The OP is going out of Long Beach. I've seen people waiting for wheelchair assistance in the Captain's Lounge (used for Platinum/Diamond/Suite people). But with LB, they usually don't do the same thing every time.:rolleyes: Best to ask a Carnival employee that is usually standing by the check-in lines.

But, how does one needing assist get to the waiting area once they arrive curbside in a car?

Those pax are Priority, others wait out at the planter. Best to ask a Blue coat.

But, how does one needing assist get to the waiting area once they arrive curbside in a car?

Never seen curbside assist. Guess they could wait on one of the two benches while another in their party gets assist. But the OP is mobile enough to get to the Dome on her own.

This is probably a no-brainer, but if you are bring prescription pain pills with you, make sure you keep them all in a Rx labeled bottle. If any dogs sit down next to you in any ports, bringing out the labeled bottle and the cast on your leg should answer the dog handler's questions..

Edited by Homosassa

• 1 year later...
I agree that you should rent a wheelchair. It will help you get around the ship and also you have your own wheelchair to use in ports. You should look into renting a transport chair. This is lighter weight than a regular wheelchair.

My husband uses a transport chair and they are great - most fold up to a very compact size and take very little room in a cabin.

Im pretty tough, just advil no narcotics

My husband uses a transport chair and they are great - most fold up to a very compact size and take very little room in a cabin.
You do realize that this thread is 22 months old. The OP's leg has long healed and has probably cruised multiple times since. :)

You do realize that this thread is 22 months old. The OP's leg has long healed and has probably cruised multiple times since. :)

Nope didn't catch that, but I always appreciate people who have nothing better to do with their time who police this type of thing to remind offenders.

Nope didn't catch that, but I always appreciate people who have nothing better to do with their time who police this type of thing to remind offenders.

I appreciate those who remind people that bringing up old threads is a waste and takes from those who are seeking current information.

I appreciate those who remind people that bringing up old threads is a waste and takes from those who are seeking current information.

LOL - if you know they're old - why are you on them?

LOL - if you know they're old - why are you on them?
You should have asked yourself that same question when you responded to an inquiry from 2 years ago.

Attention to detail is sometimes amiss on these boards, so you're in good company with missing the time parameters of the OP's original post.

We cruised on the Carnival Conquest a few years ago, and my wife had a bum leg and was in a wheelchair. It didn't slow us down at all on the ship. People were very nice about letting us on elevators, and we got special priority when boarding. We didn't have a handicapped-accessible cabin, and didn't need one. It was a fun cruise. Don't worry! But I do suggest a wheelchair.