All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Do not believe Avalon ships have laundry room for passengers.

The are no laundry or ironing facilities on Avalon. Sailed two weeks in the Illumination. I sent all my laundry out and did it often. Do not remember what I paid, but not much. Given what we paid to sail on that boat, a little bit of laundry was not a big deal.

PS just don't look at the prices, you are in vacation and they did a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Avalon Hotels for April 21 Cote d'Azur to Paris Cruise

Our travel documents just came on line for our upcoming Avalon cruise, and we found out that we'll be staying at the Carlton Intercontinental in Cannes precruise (other options on the web site were the Fairmont and Le Meridien Beach Plaza in Monaco). In Paris, we'll be in the InterContinental Paris Le Grand--not listed on the Avalon web site, but it looks nice with a great location.

Fran & Rachel,

We'll be doing the Cote D'Azur to Paris cruise in late April. Any suggestions for things we shouldn't miss?

We did this 2 years ago and got in Aix en Provence a couple of days early, stayed there in a really nice hotel (not too$$) and rented a car which we dropped 2 days late in Arles to start our river cruise. Spend both days doing our own driving of the local backroads and saw many beautiful and interesting sites within 60 mile radius of Aix....just one more possible thing you could do.

We did this 2 years ago and got in Aix en Provence a couple of days early, stayed there in a really nice hotel (not too$$) and rented a car which we dropped 2 days late in Arles to start our river cruise. Spend both days doing our own driving of the local backroads and saw many beautiful and interesting sites within 60 mile radius of Aix....just one more possible thing you could do.

A note for those who are leery about driving in Europe: it is much easier now with GPS. If you have a portable GPS, you can buy the map of the countries you will be traveling in and thus keep the interface you are already familiar with. We did this in France, and were very glad we had our familiar TomTom instead of having to learn the built-in GPS system in each new rental car.

Optional Tour of Nice

Has anyone done Avalon's optional tour of Nice.We'll arrive at the Nice airport around 10:30 a.m. and have the rest of the afternoon in Cannes. The next morning there's a tour of Nice (see description below). It looks like the bus will head to Arles right after the tour returns. Right now we plan to decide whether we want to do more in Cannes. If we've had enough of Cannes, we'll consider doing the Nice tour.

Love to hear your thoughts if you've done the tour.

fuelscience

Excursion to Nice $48

9:00 a.m. Duration: 3:30, Travel: 1:30, Activity: 2:00

Nice—the “Queen of the French Riviera” is also nicknamed “Nice la Belle”, which means “Nice the Beautiful”. Vieux Nice, the old city, is an area which has changed little since the 1700s. Discover the narrow, winding streets of its history, and its baroque churches. The area of today’s Nice is believed to be among the oldest human settlements in Europe. One of the archaeological sites, Terra Amata, displays evidence of a very early usage of fire. Around 350 BCE, Greeks of Marseille founded a permanent settlement and called it Nikaia, after Nike, the goddess of victory.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on the Impression from Amsterdam to Budapest .

What can I expect on arriving in Amsterdam ? We have a hotel booked for two nights through Avalon.

Do we need to find a cab or will we be met?A shuttle?

janegraybc, you can purchase a transfer from the airport to the hotel from Avalon through either your travel agent or MyAvalon. I think I read somewhere that cabs will cost about 40 Euros, I just checked the transfer for our cruise May 2018, and they are charging $48.00/person.

Edited by Daisi

We are cruising Amsterdam to Basel August 26 and have not yet been notified of our Amsterdam hotel which we booked through Avalon. Where are other summer cruisers staying?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are cruising Amsterdam to Basel August 26 and have not yet been notified of our Amsterdam hotel which we booked through Avalon. Where are other summer cruisers staying?

We're sailing the Rhone in two weeks, and we didn't get our hotel arrangements until about a month before departure when our final documents showed up on the web site. The web site listed 3 possible hotels in southern France and a couple in Paris. Our Cote d'Azur hotel was indeed one of the three, but the Paris hotel was one that wan't even shown as a possible on the web site. So the old caveat, "Your mileage may vary" applies.

April 22 they're putting us up at Radisson blu Amsterdam airport for the night. It has a free shuttle, however, we paid for transfers so it'll be interesting to see if they put us on the shuttle. Kicking myself for taking their hotel & transfers as I assumed we'd be staying in the heart of Amsterdam before our Avalon sailing from Haarlem the next day!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

How helpful will be chef be with dietary needs? Can one ask for oatmeal for breakfast for example?

You need to contact Avalon regarding your Dietary requirements immediately. They have Menus that are very detailed depending on what your needs are the kitchen on these boats are about the size of a closet! They will do everything possible but there is only so much that is possible. Once on the boat you need to contact the Dining Room manager and reconfirm your needs.

• 2 weeks later...
I have booked my first River Cruise with Avalon for May 2017. Will we receive any kind of final paperwork before the cruise or do we just show up on the first day of the cruise? Also, we are doing the cruise only portion of the itinerary. For this particular itinerary Avalon does not have the option of purchasing transfers so we are taking the train from the Munich airport to Passau to start the cruise.

Lisa

Hi Lisa, We may be on the same sailing. We arrive in Munich on May 1 for 3 days before going to Passau. Avalon did the air arrangements so they provide transport to the hotel. Call because maybe you can go to the hotel and get on the bus to Passau with the others.

Terry

Hi Lisa, We may be on the same sailing. We arrive in Munich on May 1 for 3 days before going to Passau. Avalon did the air arrangements so they provide transport to the hotel. Call because maybe you can go to the hotel and get on the bus to Passau with the others.

Terry

Thanks Terry! Unfortunately I already asked Avalon about a transfer from the airport and since we are doing the cruise only portion of the itinerary we cannot purchase the transfer. Not a big deal though. I already purchased our train tickets to Passau. The final documents list the cruise directors phone number and the email directly to the ship so once we land in Germany I will contact the CD to see which dock the Passion is docked at. When we arrive at the train station in Passau we will just take a cab to the ship. All a part of the fun! Hope to meet you on board the Passion! We are a group of 3 women so we will be easy to spot. Enjoy your pre-cruise days in Munich! I would have loved to add that on but we decided to add days on in Budapest after the cruise instead since two of us have already been to Munich.

Hi Gat,

We are booked for Paris -->Budapest on April 30.

We got our final papers on the 16th.

Staying at a hotel in Paris that was not on the list at the website.

Ira

What a wonderful trip! Safe journey and enjoy every mile [emoji4]

Thanks Terry! Hope to meet you on board the Passion! We are a group of 3 women so we will be easy to spot. Enjoy your pre-cruise days in Munich! I would have loved to add that on but we decided to add days on in Budapest after the cruise instead since two of us have already been to Munich.

I will be traveling with my daughter. I am in New Jersey and she lives in Vermont.

We added an extra night in Vienna to take in more of that beautiful city.

See you on board!

Terry

So happy to have found this thread. Booked on June 18 Amsterdam to Basil. Have cruised many ocean cruises, but this will be my first river cruise on Avalon Felicity. I am a solo cruiser and this type of cruise sounds quite different than what I'm used to but I am quite social and enjoy experiencing new adventures. Anyone else on this one?