Jewel of the Seas - First time in the Caribbean

My wife and I are considering a Jan. 15, 2017, cruise to the southern Caribbean and are wondering if this cruise would be right for us. We've never been to the Caribbean but we have been to the Bahamas and Bermuda.

We are both in our late 60's and not beach people. However, we do like to explore new places and get bored when we have too many sea days (as we did on our last cruise).

We were on the Grandeur of the Seas last October and found the passengers to be annoyingly loud and raucous, more so than on any other cruise we've taken. I'm hoping the passengers on the Jewel will be more controlled. We don't mind kids on the cruise - to a degree. 50 kids would be fine, but 500 would be too many.

The ports look interesting - San Juan PR, Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas, Basseterre St. Kitts, St. Johns Antigua, Castries St. Lucia and Bridgetown Barbados. We wouldn't go to any of the beaches but there seems to be enough to do otherwise.

Do you think we'd enjoy this cruise?

Jewel is a beautiful ship and you cannot beat the Southern Caribbean itinerary. Can't predict the demographic, but the fact that it's a 7-day cruise out of San Juan in January should help.

Edited by clarea

Great itinerary. Even though You stated you are not much of a beach person there are some private island excursion that are great for relaxing, and reading. Try some of the private guest tours and dine in some of the homes.

You will love the radiance class ship. RCI does a real good job with the children. Yes, you will see them splash and play in the pools, but for the most part we have had no problem. Can't answer about the adult party people. The Radiance ships seem to be most civilized, but parties there are. Book a balcony room and you can Isolate yourself. We personally like to be around people, and are active in our sixties.

My wife and I are considering a Jan. 15, 2017, cruise to the southern Caribbean and are wondering if this cruise would be right for us. We've never been to the Caribbean but we have been to the Bahamas and Bermuda.

We are both in our late 60's and not beach people. However, we do like to explore new places and get bored when we have too many sea days (as we did on our last cruise).

We were on the Grandeur of the Seas last October and found the passengers to be annoyingly loud and raucous, more so than on any other cruise we've taken. I'm hoping the passengers on the Jewel will be more controlled. We don't mind kids on the cruise - to a degree. 50 kids would be fine, but 500 would be too many.

The ports look interesting - San Juan PR, Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas, Basseterre St. Kitts, St. Johns Antigua, Castries St. Lucia and Bridgetown Barbados. We wouldn't go to any of the beaches but there seems to be enough to do otherwise.

Do you think we'd enjoy this cruise?

Book it. Great ship and itinerary.

We're going on the same cruise with our friends so I assure you the company will be good! Seriously though, it's an excellent and interesting itinerary, which is what drew it to us in the first place.

Southern Caribbean routes has quickly become my favourite. My first one was on the Jewel and I had an amazing time. I also don't remember there being that many children on the sailing.

All those islands are amazing and I'd definitely recommend going into San Juan early - no better way to start your vacation.

We have been on the Jewel twice and once was this exact itinerary. Lots to do besides beaches. My in laws are in their 70s and don't do the beach and love the Caribbean routes

The time your looking is good for low volume of kids on board. Most school will be back in session by then.

There are always tours you can do around the island so as to not hit the beaches.

Do a trip report when you get back.. We sail on her 4/2/17 also. I need reading material lol. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app