Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

I have on multiple occasions. Several could've heard by anyone at the bar.

If someone is ranting, raving and making a scene I guess it's hard not to notice.

I'm typically out enjoying the entertainment on the ship. Never really near GS at night.

I'm typically out enjoying the entertainment on the ship. Never really near GS at night.

I'm pretty sure you are out and about telling people how wrong they are and how much more you know about cruising then them. You know, since we are making speculations and all. :cool:

I'm pretty sure you are out and about telling people how wrong they are and how much more you know about cruising then them. You know, since we are making speculations and all. :cool:

Nope. I don't tell people what to do on a cruise; as long as whatever they do doesn't impact my safety I really don't care. And if they choose to cut a tip for no reason at all, that's within carnivals rules.

If someone is ranting, raving and making a scene I guess it's hard not to notice.

We have had this discussion before. Twice is was in relation to a medical emergency they were assisting with and other times in requesting assistance on debarkation for some of our guests. It happens....all the time. All that said, the vast majority do as requested and is customary.

4X fare? I didnt even pay 2X the cost of this trip and it was 10 days instead of 8. Adding the cost of drinks, gratuities and tax, it really isnt going to work out massively different in price.

But what a difference in quality!

And Yes, I'm not disagreeing with the notion, most US Cruise companies use this practice of adding a tip to your bill, I just put forward as a fact they dont all do - and those n the Far East dont either.

Interesting.

If someone does a good job for you, they should be rewarded? No problem about that (apart from would you tip your builder or dentist..... or checkout till girl....)

But in essence, I'm with you. OTOH, if you havent had good service, why would you want to Tip? I know from what you've said you understand the differences in attitudes between the UK and US, but I wouldnt understand why you would unilaterally tip because some has opened a bottle for you but made you wait and served you with a dirty glass.

Like I said in the post above, this 8 day trip for me, the wife and kids has already attracted a $530 bill for gratuities! Thats a tidy sum don't you think? And its all prepaid. And yes I agree its not good that someone removes tips for no other reason than they want the money promised for themselves instead. The term you use "cheapskate" is a correct one.

Fair enough.

You should!

So someone should make up a false reason why they are removing or changing their gratuties and simply not just ask for them to be removed or changed??

That makes no sense :confused:

Does anyone know about the internet on board the pride? I am traveling with a few teenage and was thinking about getting the social media package so they can at least stay in contact threw Facebook and messenger (also, with other in the family who we are traveling with.

16 members total)..so, does anyone know how it work's? Do they need to be in thier cabin or can they use it anywhere on the ship? Any additional advice would be great..thank you

Does anyone know about the internet on board the pride? I am traveling with a few teenage and was thinking about getting the social media package so they can at least stay in contact threw Facebook and messenger (also, with other in the family who we are traveling with.

16 members total)..so, does anyone know how it work's? Do they need to be in thier cabin or can they use it anywhere on the ship? Any additional advice would be great..thank you

Social Media plan works anywhere on the ship. As long as everyone has FB Messenger, you can all communicate. It is very slow at times, though.

So someone should make up a false reason why they are removing or changing their gratuties and simply not just ask for them to be removed or changed??

That makes no sense :confused:

Removing them for any reason which was not presented before the last evening does not. If they waited, they should pay.....

Here's what JH posted in regards to how the gratuities are divided up now.

Tonight here on Carnival Vista we put the gratuity letters in the state rooms. They include the following

The gratuities will be distributed to the teams listed below as they are responsible for ensuring your needs are taken care of and that you return home with a fun and memorable cruise experience.

Stateroom services team $3.90 per day

Dining services team $6.10 per day

Alternative services team $2.00 per day

We appreciate you choosing Carnival for your vacation. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy all the great entertainment and fun activities we have in store for you

---------------------------------------------

So we changed a word there to show "Dining Services " instead of the previous " dining room " wording we had used previously

That's because we feel it's important that for guests who eat only on Lido to realise that those who served them there are part of the gratuity breakdown

Anyway. Let me most importantly thank everyone who does take care of our crew with these gratuities and indeed more

There will be more on this subject I. The weeks ahead so please stay tuned and again, thank you all

Cheers

Tonight here on Carnival Vista we put the gratuity letters in the state rooms. They include the following

The gratuities will be distributed to the teams listed below as they are responsible for ensuring your needs are taken care of and that you return home with a fun and memorable cruise experience.

We appreciate you choosing Carnival for your vacation. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy all the great entertainment and fun activities we have in store for you

So we changed a word there to show "Dining Services " instead of the previous " dining room " wording we had used previously

That's because we feel it's important that for guests who eat only on Lido to realise that those who served them there are part of the gratuity breakdown

Anyway. Let me most importantly thank everyone who does take care of our crew with these gratuities and indeed more

There will be more on this subject I. The weeks ahead so please stay tuned and again, thank you all

Cheers

And here it comes. That slippery slope. Changing what you call something to make you think you should tip equally. There is NO WAY I would tip the same as I would getting my own food, vs. a full hour and a half service where someone does all the work for me. Even in buffets, you tip on drinks and such, things brought to you.

And yet, when they rolled out the additional dollar tip per person per day, we were told that covered you for eating on the Lido, even though you couldn't eat in both places.

Next time you see the poor guy refilling the eggs or the chicken nuggets, ask him if her gets any tips. He will just look at you funny.

And here it comes. That slippery slope. Changing what you call something to make you think you should tip equally. There is NO WAY I would tip the same as I would getting my own food, vs. a full hour and a half service where someone does all the work for me. Even in buffets, you tip on drinks and such, things brought to you.

And yet, when they rolled out the additional dollar tip per person per day, we were told that covered you for eating on the Lido, even though you couldn't eat in both places.

Next time you see the poor guy refilling the eggs or the chicken nuggets, ask him if her gets any tips. He will just look at you funny.

...........or you could simply do what is the accepted practice, which is not slippery at all.

Cheers

Seems pretty clear cut to me. And....not even a slippery slope.

Seems pretty clear cut to me. And....not even a slippery slope.

Admitting passengers are paying wages instead of their employers is pretty slippery to be fair. But at least you can see it's clear cut what's going down which is something.

Edited by les37b

What is the "alternate services team", and why do they get $2.00? That one is so smokey that you can't even see the mirror.

I'm guessing it's the same people that used to get them before. The amount for them has not changed. This is how it's worded now:

The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as the stateroom steward, assistant steward, dining room waiter and assistant waiter. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I'm guessing it's the same people that used to get them before. The amount for them has not changed. This is how it's worded now:

The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as the stateroom steward, assistant steward, dining room waiter and assistant waiter. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services.

Those are the salaried personel. This mirror is so smoked that a vampire could now we it.

Nothing but cash tips for me from now on. This has gotten absurd.

It's the same at is was before so I'm not sure what the big uproar is.

A someone mentioned unthread, this is the beginning of something else. Why they are confusing a non service eatery with a service one, I have no clue. But I'm not about to fall into thinking that I should tip the same wherever I eat. Even they don't believe that, having different scales for the pay for restaurants.

Edited by ANGELSwithANGLES

A someone mentioned unthread, this is the beginning of something else. Why they are confusing a non service eatery with a service one, I have no clue. But I'm not about to fall into thinking that I should tip the same wherever I eat. Even they don't believe that, having different scales for the pay for restaurants.

Something else like what? If Carnival wanted more money all they would need to do is increase fares and pocket it. If they were lying about where it went, a lawsuit would have been filed long ago. Lawyers live for that kind of stuff.

As far as what JH said is what those of us who have tried to explain time and again for those that can't seem to comprehend how it works. Even if you don't eat in the MDR, your waiters work elsewhere on the ship during the day. You do eat at some point somewhere on the ship, correct? So you are utilizing their services one way or another. Whether through Room Service, breakfast or lunch when the MDR is open, brunch, etc. so by leaving the auto gratuity in place, the dining team will get paid.

No one said the guys in the buffet are getting paid the same as everyone else. Not sure where that came from.

I can only hope that the "more to come" aspect of the gratuities decision is that they will be renamed a service charge and that they are mandatory so people can stop worrying about being scammed out of a couple bucks a day. It really is sad.

Something else like what? If Carnival wanted more money all they would need to do is increase fares and pocket it. If they were lying about where it went, a lawsuit would have been filed long ago. Lawyers live for that kind of stuff.

As far as what JH said is what those of us who have tried to explain time and again for those that can't seem to comprehend how it works. Even if you don't eat in the MDR, your waiters work elsewhere on the ship during the day. You do eat at some point somewhere on the ship, correct? So you are utilizing their services one way or another. Whether through Room Service, breakfast or lunch when the MDR is open, brunch, etc. so by leaving the auto gratuity in place, the dining team will get paid.

No one said the guys in the buffet are getting paid the same as everyone else. Not sure where that came from.

I can only hope that the "more to come" aspect of the gratuities decision is that they will be renamed a service charge and that they are mandatory so people can stop worrying about being scammed out of a couple bucks a day. It really is sad.

But it's not just a couple of bucks a day is it.

So far, for my party of 4 which includes 2 kids, I have been forced to hand over $530 in wages.... Or as you insist on calling it, tips. And that's not enough? Sheesh!

That's pretty funny. They're off working somewhere else not for you, and you want to tip them. That's like eating at mcDonalds and tipping the waiters in the restaurant nest door serving someone else, because someone in the business told you to. I suppose if you ate in the steakhouse every night, you would still tip the MDR people for some reAson. No clue why, but it it serves you, do it.

Carnival does want to raise the fare. They would rather you see $499 for a one week cruise, and not $584. And would love to move more of that fare off the base price and onto your sail and sign account.

And I didn't say the guys get paid the same. I said I would not TIP the same in a place where I served myself, as allowed to being served.

The good thing is you can tip anyone how You wish. I will do the same.

But it's not just a couple of bucks a day is it.

So far, for my party of 4 which includes 2 kids, I have been forced to hand over $530 in wages.... Or as you insist on calling it, tips. And that's not enough? Sheesh!

It is what it is. Call it tips, call it wages, call it whatever. Bottom line is its part of cruising and I would be very happy if it was mandatory just like taxes/port fees. Guess what? I have to pay a port fee even if I don't get off the ship the entire time. That's not fair. Boo hoo!

No one is asking you to give more. If you pay the auto gratuities then you are done. If you give any additional then that's totally on you.

One way or another we are all paying the crew's wages whether it's broken down or rolled into the fare. If someone can't afford the gratuities, then they shouldn't cruise. If your culture isn't used to tipping, well then I'm sorry but ours is. "When in Rome" as they say. Same as if you can't afford all the extra fees when it comes to flying. I'm looking at a fare for one of my friends right now where the actual airfare is $139 and taxes and BS fees are $32. $139 is a whole lot better than $171. Yet if they want to go, they have to pay it. Supposedly the 911 fee and whatever else pays the TSA people who no one likes! I hope they add it all in just like the airlines do so it's not an option and people will know what the cost of cruising really is with all fees included.

Don't punish the hardworking crew by being cheap and skipping out on the gratuities. I feel your pain as far as having a family of 4. We have cruised a lot with the kids and my sister is thinking about trying one out. There are 4 of them as well. When doing research and giving her pricing I automatically add the gratuities in so she won't have any surprises.