Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

Gratuities aren't even close to 15% of your cruise fare,

Depends what you pay for the cruise.

I got a steal on the Victory; 3 of us, 4 nights, total cruise fare is around $550 (850 with taxes).

Gratuity is $155.

So the gratuity is about 30% of the cruise fare.

Or a bit over 18% of the total cruise cost.

Last year booked 2 on NCL Sky for $478 in cruise fare (about 750 total with taxes). Gratuity was $108. So almost 23% of the cruise fare. Or nearly 15% of the total cost.

Just got off the MSC Divina. Total gratuity was $168 for 3 (they did not charge gratuity for children under 6 years old). Total cruise fare was $998 and total with taxes was $1375. So gratuity was about 17% of cruise fare, and about 12.5% of total cost.

But if you stay in significantly more expensive rooms, gratuity becomes a MUCH smaller percentage of your cruise fare or total, even accounting for higher rates that suites pay. I mean if you stay in a fancy suite and pay $3K per person, gratuity won't even be 3% of your cruise fare. Even lower when you factor in taxes.

okay, but what does it matter how the money is collected :confused:

if you cancel a cruise you would stand to lose more if the money was buried in the basic cruise charge. while i think everyone should pay that amount of money that covers the wages if you go on a cruise why pay it if you miss the cruise. we're talking the same amount of dollars with the only difference being how it is collected.

It would be more first off as Carnival would be taxed on those wages and they would pass that on to you.

And if you miss a cruise you already pay a lot for nothing, should the portion allotted for the staff still not remain?

I am ok with losing more if I cancel if it means that all staff are paid a better wage and I can just go on my cruise and tip those who actually service me.

$3,90 Cabin Services (cabin stewards)

$6,10 (MDR) Main Dining Room Services (wait staff)

$2,00 Alternative Services (kitchen, entertainment, passenger services, other hotel staff members).

Because why am I tipping Guest services, the dishwasher, the cruise director and the laundry room

Folk? Shouldn't that be part of the cost of the cruise?

Well if you'll get your money's worth, then preorder it. I think you save some cash by doing so. Either way though, if you don't get Cheers they will automatically add 15% gratuity to each individual drink you buy anyway and it's not negotiable. They get you coming and going! :cool:

I know and I hate it. But I also like to have a few drinks and I am certain I can get my money's worth. I just really hate pre-paying or automatic gratuities.

Even as a waiter they sucked because no matter how awesome a job I did, people assumed they already tipped so why bother with more? Then I may at 15% when maybe I could have earned 18% or more.

how the system works is up to neither one of us but i do feel we have an obligation to play by their rules since we are in their home.....so to speak. and i use the word obligated because we do have an obligation, which is the same as an expectation, to pay our gratuities.

It is neither an obligation or an expectation...it is a gratuity or tip, both of which are always optional. Carnivals 'rules' are a recommended amount of now 12.95 pp per day. And they state it can adjusted anytime. I clearly get that you dont' agree, but those are the 'rules'.

I get that and if I had horrible service I would remove them. So far, it hasn't been bad enough for me to go to that length. But I am Canadian and complaining is not something we are good at :)

I believe in rewarding those who provide exceptional service. Our last cabin steward was amazing and he was given a good tip. Our waiters were not great at all and although I left the auto tip, I didn't provide extra like I have in the past.

I agree. I usually give extra on top of the prepaid/auto gratuities as my service has never been bad. I also give extra to those who go above and beyond. There have been a couple times when I didn't give any additional because while they weren't bad in any way they were just, OK. And I didn't feel guilty about it one bit. But overall I would say my service has been excellent.

It would take a lot to make me remove them so I just consider them a part of cruising and don't give it a second thought. I always have my PVP add them in so I can have a zero balance getting on the ship and only have to worry about any beverages I have along with maybe a few other odds and ends.

It would be more first off as Carnival would be taxed on those wages and they would pass that on to you.

And if you miss a cruise you already pay a lot for nothing, should the portion allotted for the staff still not remain?

I am ok with losing more if I cancel if it means that all staff are paid a better wage and I can just go on my cruise and tip those who actually service me.

$3,90 Cabin Services (cabin stewards)

$6,10 (MDR) Main Dining Room Services (wait staff)

$2,00 Alternative Services (kitchen, entertainment, passenger services, other hotel staff members).

Because why am I tipping Guest services, the dishwasher, the cruise director and the laundry room

Folk? Shouldn't that be part of the cost of the cruise?

I would propose that the cabin stewards make more money under the tip system than they ever would if they were salaried. If they get ALL of their tip money as JH claims, they should be making nearly $50,000 a year based on the 35 cabins a day that they are claiming that they service now and double occupancy.

I know and I hate it. But I also like to have a few drinks and I am certain I can get my money's worth. I just really hate pre-paying or automatic gratuities.

Even as a waiter they sucked because no matter how awesome a job I did, people assumed they already tipped so why bother with more? Then I may at 15% when maybe I could have earned 18% or more.

It's a dilemma for sure. I think I would be inclined to order it online to save some money. It's all about the deal for me!

M

It's a dilemma for sure. I think I would be inclined to order it online to save some money. It's all about the deal for me!

Most likely will as its more on the ship. Final payment is due the end of June and I may do it then.

Depends what you pay for the cruise.

I got a steal on the Victory; 3 of us, 4 nights, total cruise fare is around $550 (850 with taxes).

Gratuity is $155.

So the gratuity is about 30% of the cruise fare.

Or a bit over 18% of the total cruise cost.

Last year booked 2 on NCL Sky for $478 in cruise fare (about 750 total with taxes). Gratuity was $108. So almost 23% of the cruise fare. Or nearly 15% of the total cost.

Just got off the MSC Divina. Total gratuity was $168 for 3 (they did not charge gratuity for children under 6 years old). Total cruise fare was $998 and total with taxes was $1375. So gratuity was about 17% of cruise fare, and about 12.5% of total cost.

But if you stay in significantly more expensive rooms, gratuity becomes a MUCH smaller percentage of your cruise fare or total, even accounting for higher rates that suites pay. I mean if you stay in a fancy suite and pay $3K per person, gratuity won't even be 3% of your cruise fare. Even lower when you factor in taxes.

Well, true. I should have said "as of lately". I did get some good deals a couple years ago and the taxes/port fees/gratuities were almost as much as the fare itself. Sadly the really good deals are gone now especially for a solo cruiser like me :(

I would propose that the cabin stewards make more money under the tip system than they ever would if they were salaried. If they get ALL of their tip money as JH claims, they should be making nearly $50,000 a year based on the 35 cabins a day that they are claiming that they service now and double occupancy.

Your assuming that they get every single tip from every customer which we know is not true. They also don't work for a full year. Most contracts are 6 months or 8 months with time off in between where they are not paid.

Also, I have seen too many employees on Jim walker cruise law news refute the statement by JH that they get 100% of that. Not sure who to believe to be honest.

Your assuming that they get every single tip from every customer which we know is not true. They also don't work for a full year. Most contracts are 6 months or 8 months with time off in between where they are not paid.

Also, I have seen too many employees on Jim walker cruise law news refute the statement by JH that they get 100% of that. Not sure who to believe to be honest.

I've seen them on JW's page too. That's why I said if they get ALL of the tips that they're supposed to be getting. LOL.

Dear Non-Tippers,

Are you thinking about going out tonight or a cruise soon?

Why should you have to tip, you ask?

Well, you don’t. You aren’t required. Just like you aren’t required to hold the door open for an elderly woman or offer a beverage to a thirsty house guest. You don’t HAVE to do these things. Most of us partake in these conventions because we’re civilized and decent. You don’t HAVE to be civilized and decent. But maybe you can at least do me this favor: if you aren’t going to tip, and you know that from the outset, have the courage of your convictions and inform your waiter upfront. When your server comes to welcome you and give you the daily specials, kindly inform him of the situation. “Good evening, Brad. I’m happy to be here. I won’t be tipping you tonight. Anyway, do we get free refills on the house salad?”

To withhold this information is a lie by omission. You know that Brad will be working under the assumption that a tip is forthcoming. You, therefore, benefit from the illusion of a potential tip, even though there isn’t any potential for a tip at all. This is a lie. You’re lying. You’re being manipulative. Stop it.

And what is this principle on which you stand?

I often hear that the owners of the restaurants or Carnival should pay a decent wage and then nobody would have to tip. Why should YOU have to pay the server’s wage, you insist.

Good point. Let’s require all restaurant owners to pay their wait staff, what, like 12-15 dollars an hour? Yes, now we don’t have to tip and everyone is ha-

Oh. Wait. What’s this? All of prices on the menu just doubled? No more 2 for 20 deals? No more free refills? No more 9 dollar burgers and 12 dollar steaks? No more obscenely humungous portion sizes?

What’s going on here? You’re telling me that the financial resources of the restaurant’s owners are finite, and a massive increase in operating costs must be logically offset by a hike in prices and a reduction in services?

Oh no! Now my favorite joints are closing earlier! Hold on — no more happy hour?!

This has gone too far.

I want good food, low prices, huge portions, unlimited refills, happy hour special, fast service AND I don’t want to be expected to tip! Kindly point me to the wormhole that will transport me to the dimension where such a thing is possible.

See, non-tippers benefit from the tip structure, and would not be willing to forfeit those benefits, yet they don’t want to pony up the tips themselves. They reap the rewards of the tip system while simultaneously pretending to protest it. They’re hypocrites.

Of course, the main justification offered by non-tippers is not so much based on principle as it is on punishment. They say they will not tip when the service is “bad.” But you’ll notice that these people somehow encounter “bad” service almost every time they go out to eat. What an odd thing. They must be cursed.

Personally, I tip. I almost always tip well. Twenty percent is the baseline minimum. But, where some customers complain about how they “can’t find good service,” I am usually quite pleased with the wait staff I encounter at most establishments. Where non-tippers constantly find excuses to punitively withhold tips, I generally find reasons to add an additional 5 or 10 percent to the pot. This isn’t because I’m lucky or generous, it’s because I’m not a pompous, picky, spoiled brat; constantly looking for the smallest reason to feel slighted by customer service workers.

I’d like to hear the thought process when the bill comes and you non-tippers go through your cheapskate mental checklist.

Hmmm. Well, my glass remained empty for 97 seconds while my waitress handled a party of 27 two tables down. Sorry, I don’t care what else she’s doing. I need prompt refills. That’ll cost her 3 percent. Oh, and I didn’t think she was smiley enough. There goes another 3 percent. I asked for ketchup but it didn’t come. And then I had to ask again! The horror! That shaves another 5 percent. The fries were warm but a little soggy. There goes 2 percent. My meal was late by like a thousand hours! Well, almost. It took 26 minutes or so to come out. I have absolutely no reason to believe that this inconvenience was the fault of my server, but she’s going to have to pay for it. Minus 10 percent. OK, so according to my calculations, she now owes me about 12 dollars.

From what I’ve seen, the server is usually punished for things that have nothing to do with her. But you non-tippers know this. You’re not out for justice; you’re out to save a few bucks. You tell yourselves stories about how you were victimized by the wait staff just so you can leave no tip and still sleep like a baby at night.

But we all know the truth about you. You can’t hide your motivations.

Stop the madness, non-tippers.

Tip your server. Just tip.

Trust me, you’ll feel better.

Edited by LaCal

LaCal- Very well said, however, I don't recall reading one poster on here stating that they don't tip at all. :confused:

Everyone has different opinions on how much to tip, who deserves a tip for what services, and making gratuities(on cruises) mandatory or not.

LaCal- Very well said, however, I don't recall reading one poster on here stating that they don't tip at all. :confused:

Everyone has different opinions on how much to tip, who deserves a tip for what services, and making gratuities(on cruises) mandatory or not.

I know I just thought it was a great article on non tipping in general

Just curious....if your cruise fare went up by say 20-25% and carnival removed gratuities and paid their staff a better wage. Any issues?

The staff would still want a tip because they are conditioned to expect one from guests. Once given, it is very hard to change the thinking and take it back.

When was the last time Carnival raised the gratuities? I have been sailing with them since 2001 and can not remember an increase. Seriously ... If this increase stops you from vacationing with them then so be it.

The last increase was two years ago, but it was only 50 cents/person/day so you may not have noticed. A larger increase occurred four and a half years ago, when it went up by $1.50/person/day. Before that, gratuities had not gotten up for a long time.

Not quite. In the U.S. a tip-earning worker is guaranteed to receive at least minimum wage. When they turn in their timecard they have to report their tips earned. If that amount, added to their hourly guarantee, doesn't reach the statutory minimum the employer has to make up the difference. Some will not claim their full tips to avoid taxes. This results in them appearing to only make the minimum. Depending on the employer, demographic served and skills of the server they can do quite well. My experience in the past is restaurant management.

This is totally not true. My daughter worked as a server, it didn't matter how much she earned in tips, they still paid her the less than $3/hour. Not sure where you got this, but she has worked at several different restaurants and what you described has not happened at any of them. I also know several others who worked at different restaurants and same thing.

This is totally not true. My daughter worked as a server, it didn't matter how much she earned in tips, they still paid her the less than $3/hour. Not sure where you got this, but she has worked at several different restaurants and what you described has not happened at any of them. I also know several others who worked at different restaurants and same thing.

You are Correct.....Here's info directly from the US Dept of Labor:

What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the Federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the Federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the Federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions which provides the greater benefits.

The staff would still want a tip because they are conditioned to expect one from guests. Once given, it is very hard to change the thinking and take it back.

So tip those who personally serve you. I am all for tipping those who provide amazing service.

When was the last time Carnival raised the gratuities? I have been sailing with them since 2001 and can not remember an increase. Seriously ... If this increase stops you from vacationing with them then so be it.

2014. And this increase is substantial, percentage-wise: much higher than the rate of inflation for the past two years.

But apparently everyone just LOOOOOVEES it, along with the reduced service.

You may want to consider that Carnival now does NOT specify how much of the tip allocation goes to cabin steward, waitstaff, etc. They changed this verbiage right around the time the cabin stewards began picking up more cabins. There's a shell game going on here, that's what is happening.

No one is begrudging a tip to the staff. I have never been really disappointed. I had no problems with the auto tip in the past. I have a problem with the service reductions in the dining room, the 1 time per day cabin servicing that they are obviously moving to, and then... the friggin' tips increasing while Carnival puts them wherever they want.

I have been told on this board, "If you don't like it... you don't have to go..." and yep, that is true. I surely wish some things had not changed... with 23 cruises with Carnival... I really hate to see the experience I loved for years being reduced.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

You may want to consider that Carnival now does NOT specify how much of the tip allocation goes to cabin steward, waitstaff, etc. They changed this verbiage right around the time the cabin stewards began picking up more cabins. There's a shell game going on here, that's what is happening.

No one is begrudging a tip to the staff. I have never been really disappointed. I had no problems with the auto tip in the past. I have a problem with the service reductions in the dining room, the 1 time per day cabin servicing that they are obviously moving to, and then... the friggin' tips increasing while Carnival puts them wherever they want.

I have been told on this board, "If you don't like it... you don't have to go..." and yep, that is true. I surely wish some things had not changed... with 23 cruises with Carnival... I really hate to see the experience I loved for years being reduced.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

No one would want to believe that a cabin steward could actually be making more money than they are. And what rational person would believe that Carnival would be letting them make that kind of money? But, if Carnival's previous numbers were to be believed and applied now, the stewards are not poor, downtrodden, third world savages. They're making pretty good money, heartbreaking tales of poverty aside. And they dodge the long arm of the IRS. What could be better?