Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

$1.00 a day x 3000 passengers average/ship x 25 ships x365 days = $27,375,000.

And you really believe it is all going to crew?

And you really believe the existing crew got all the tips for all the cabins they picked up with the new 1x per day norm?

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahhhaaaa!!!!!

Unless you work for Carnival, why does this concern you?

$1.00 a day x 3000 passengers average/ship x 25 ships x365 days = $27,375,000.

And you really believe it is all going to crew?

And you really believe the existing crew got all the tips for all the cabins they picked up with the new 1x per day norm?

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahhhaaaa!!!!!

It has nothing to do with believing it all goes to crew. I don't mind paying tips. Whoever it goes to, it is well deserved and the cost considered part of my expenses with booking a cruise vacation. Period. So I'm not sure what all of the laughing is about. Maybe when you look in the mirror and realize this bit you're trying that so cracks you up has been fleshed out already. I pay my tips. For the whole family. And if I had a problem with the system or who got paid what, I wouldn't book the trip.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is because there are a lot of very angry people that feel they have the obligation to instruct the rest of the people how to spend their money.

No different from the angry people who believe it's their right to tell a cruise line how to run its business and pay its employees.

$27,375,000 divided by 1,000 average participating crew per ship by 25 ships by 365 days per year by 12 hours per day typical working shift = 25 cents per hour more per crewmember.

Numbers seem a little different now, don't they? Keep chuckling, knucklehead.

Keep thinking it is okay as Carnival won't say how the tips are now split up (they used to but not anymore) and enjoy your one time service per day and your waiters at night having more tables.

I care because it affects service.

And everyone thinks the crew is getting most of the increase... I will still laugh at that...

I hope for the day when gratuities become absorbed into the actual fare. I hope for the day when hotels don't charge extra for gym access or other amenities.

I can dream, can't I?

In the meantime, I'll just prepay gratuities and add a little cash here and there when deserved.

I'm going to Australia and New Zealand for 5 or 6 weeks next winter, and will have to adapt to a no tipping or tipping is rude attitude. That will be difficult for this New Yorker who doesn't think twice about reaching for tips.

Personally I'd prefer cruise companies paid their staff a decent wage and not expect customers to fund wages. Tips IMHO is given to people who have given you good service, not because they opened a bottle of beer and passed it to you.

I expect a difference of opinion on this depending on which side of the pond you sit.

Personally I'd prefer cruise companies paid their staff a decent wage and not expect customers to fund wages. .

What is a "decent wage" though? Are you ready for your cruise price to go up to make up that difference? Im not :) I would rather it stay like it is or maybe just call it what is is, a daily service charge, and make it mandatory/non removable.

We all have an opinion when it comes to it for sure :) No one is right or wrong.

What is a "decent wage" though? Are you ready for your cruise price to go up to make up that difference? Im not :) I would rather it stay like it is or maybe just call it what is is, a daily service charge, and make it mandatory/non removable.

We all have an opinion when it comes to it for sure :) No one is right or wrong.

I'm glad you added the last bit! :)

This is a pretty cultural thing really. In the UK employers have to pay at least a set legal minimum wage to its staff (I think currently its just under £10ph) . Its illegal to pay next to nothing and expect staff to beg for tips. I get the concept, I just dont agree with it. Pay a man his worth.

I'm aware that people can earn an absolute fortune in the US on tips. Good luck to them, but that doesnt sit well either...... but thats another story! haha

Anyway - just explaining where my feelings on this comes from - and I expect most Brits will agree and USians disagree.... and before anyone accuses me of being angry or dictating company polices, then I'm not. Look - here's a smiley to prove it. :)

My last two cruises have a no tip policy. Yes, the price is higher, but the quality was too. If you cruise the far east, no tips required there on any to the best of my knowledge.

Personally I'd prefer cruise companies paid their staff a decent wage and not expect customers to fund wages. Tips IMHO is given to people who have given you good service, not because they opened a bottle of beer and passed it to you.

I expect a difference of opinion on this depending on which side of the pond you sit.

Tipping is not wages and vice versa. What do you consider a decent wage? Because IMO there isn't an amount that's decent to compensate for some of the crap they have to deal with, clean and, etc. And would you be willing for your fare to rise as a result?

I have considered this myself but I don't think it would work. What I do maintain is that gratuities should not be so easily removable. There should be a process. And one that is handled post cruise by completing a form or something. Maybe if it wasn't so easy, people would think twice about doing it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Personally I'd prefer cruise companies paid their staff a decent wage and not expect customers to fund wages. .

In many third world countries, what cruise lines are paying is indeed a decent wage.

Tipping is not wages and vice versa. What do you consider a decent wage? Because IMO there isn't an amount that's decent to compensate for some of the crap they have to deal with, clean and, etc. And would you be willing for your fare to rise as a result?

I have considered this myself but I don't think it would work. What I do maintain is that gratuities should not be so easily removable. There should be a process. And one that is handled post cruise by completing a form or something. Maybe if it wasn't so easy, people would think twice about doing it.

Sorry, but I disagree with your first comment in respect to it being a substitute for wages. Tips are relied on because they are paid so poorly. By definition, tips are to make up the shortfall from their employers.

Like I said previously. Its a cultural thing. Staff in Restaurants and bars for example in the US (and I'm speaking from experience of chatting to a few waitresses on this exact subject) were paid an absolute pittance and only get by through their tips. In the UK, I'm not suggesting they are high paid, but they will earn an income. They have to, because no one will tip them for serving a beer to someone. Its the way it is. If that means my beer costs a little more as a result, then so be it. I'm in no way suggesting staff dont get a fair income. Far from it. I'm advocating they do. And yes, in respect of what you said about combining it with your cruise fair, thats fine.

I expect we'll never agree on whats right about it - i'm just explaining where my thoughts come from. And no, generally I dont tip unless I have been given good service. Ironically, I'll always give a 10 - 15% tip in a restaurant - unless the service is bad, the they'll get nothing.

I expect many will think its being tight. Maybe it is. Can I ask if you tip a builder who has just built an extension at your house? If not, why not? Assuming he did a good job, surely he's worth it? (I expect youre going to shoot me down in flames now and say you would! lol)

Anyway - this isnt a Brit dictating how it should be - just sharing some thoughts....

I sit on the other side of the 'pond' from you and I totally agree with you!

I sit on the other side of the 'pond' from you and I totally agree with you!

Oh! I didnt expect that to happen! hehe

Is that you, or is it shared by others in Canada do you think? I know the majority of Brits will agree with me

And before anyone asked - I have already prepaid gratuities.... so no - not an option for me to remove. All paid in full. :D

Oh! I didnt expect that to happen! hehe

Is that you, or is it shared by others in Canada do you think? I know the majority of Brits will agree with me

And before anyone asked - I have already prepaid gratuities.... so no - not an option for me to remove. All paid in full. :D

Can't really say if I speak for all Canadians or even some or any?? But like you stated, here in Canada, lile the UK, we pay our restaurant staff/servicers an hourly wage that is the same as that of any other minimum wage job(retail, gas station, grocery, etc). I know in the US they are paid quite poorly and depend on tips for a huge portion of their income. This IMO is very wrong.

Can't really say if I speak for all Canadians or even some or any?? But like you stated, here in Canada, lile the UK, we pay our restaurant staff/servicers an hourly wage that is the same as that of any other minimum wage job(retail, gas station, grocery, etc). I know in the US they are paid quite poorly and depend on tips for a huge portion of their income. This IMO is very wrong.

Actually in the United States minimum wage is controlled by the states. Some states have a lower minimum wage for service positions. Many states do not permit this however and they have the same wage requirements as any other position. Despite this change in the law don't expect there to be any push to do away with tipping.

Actually in the United States minimum wage is controlled by the states. Some states have a lower minimum wage for service positions. Many states do not permit this however and they have the same wage requirements as any other position. Despite this change in the law don't expect there to be any push to do away with tipping.

Similar here in Canada, the provinces each have their own minimum wage. I guess it may come down to what that minimum wage is. Here in Manitoba it is $11 for all employees of any job. In US $ that converts to approx. $8.55.

Well it isn't going away anytime soon. Joe's Crabshack did a test where they converted 18 restaurants to no tipping with a higher base pay.

The result? The customers AND employees complained and they are reverting back to the old system.

http://www.eater.com/2016/5/10/11651954/joes-crab-shack-no-tipping

Some complain it is an unfair system but most servers will say they make more with a tipping system then they would if it went away and base wages were raised.

Edited by BeachChik

Well it isn't going away anytime soon. Joe's Crabshack did a test where they converted 18 restaurants to no tipping with a higher base pay.

The result? The customers AND employees complained and they are reverting back to the old system.

http://www.eater.com/2016/5/10/11651954/joes-crab-shack-no-tipping

Some complain it is an unfair system but most servers will say they make more with a tipping system then they would if it went away and base wages were raised.

Oh I believe it, I just don't agree or believe I should supplement someone's wage/income. I guess it comes down to what you are used to doing....I do tip good service, just likely not what may be 'expected'.

From the Carnival website: Please note, effective for all cruises departing on or after September 1, 2016, the recommended gratuities amount will increase from $12.00 USD to $12.95 USD per person, per day for guests in standard stateroom accommodations and to $13.95 USD per person, per day for guests booked in suites.

Looks like everyone is getting a raise.:)

No one getting a raise except a bonus for Arnold

Sorry, but I disagree with your first comment in respect to it being a substitute for wages. Tips are relied on because they are paid so poorly. By definition, tips are to make up the shortfall from their employers.

Like I said previously. Its a cultural thing. Staff in Restaurants and bars for example in the US (and I'm speaking from experience of chatting to a few waitresses on this exact subject) were paid an absolute pittance and only get by through their tips. In the UK, I'm not suggesting they are high paid, but they will earn an income. They have to, because no one will tip them for serving a beer to someone. Its the way it is. If that means my beer costs a little more as a result, then so be it. I'm in no way suggesting staff dont get a fair income. Far from it. I'm advocating they do. And yes, in respect of what you said about combining it with your cruise fair, thats fine.

I expect we'll never agree on whats right about it - i'm just explaining where my thoughts come from. And no, generally I dont tip unless I have been given good service. Ironically, I'll always give a 10 - 15% tip in a restaurant - unless the service is bad, the they'll get nothing.

I expect many will think its being tight. Maybe it is. Can I ask if you tip a builder who has just built an extension at your house? If not, why not? Assuming he did a good job, surely he's worth it? (I expect youre going to shoot me down in flames now and say you would! lol)

Anyway - this isnt a Brit dictating how it should be - just sharing some thoughts....

I respect your thoughts. Different points of view are welcomed when they are presented with respect and not trying to be a wise guy/girl.

And yes it is a cultural thing. I also think for me, part of why I'm so adamant about tipping is because I worked tipped jobs before. It is not easy cleaning up after and waiting on people, so I'm always going to be pro-tipping. I also have cruised enough to know that tips typically increase every two years. Carnival was due and IMO the increase is minimal with plenty of advance notice so that no one can say they were caught by surprise.

I really don't know how good or poorly staff is paid on ships - or how it relates to what they would make at home. I suspect it's decent in comparison to local jobs. But none of that matters to me or is a factor when I pay my tips. Just like I don't get why people bring up how much the porters make. I pay them because I appreciate what they do and because these are tipped positions. For me it's not optional and not for me to worry about whether they are paid well or not. I do it because of the service they render to me and my family.

I don't think you're dictating and it's nice to hear your thoughts from another country. My uncle lives in Europe after living his whole life in the states and there is an amazing difference with many things. ;)

I respect your thoughts. Different points of view are welcomed when they are presented with respect and not trying to be a wise guy/girl.

And yes it is a cultural thing. I also think for me, part of why I'm so adamant about tipping is because I worked tipped jobs before. It is not easy cleaning up after and waiting on people, so I'm always going to be pro-tipping. I also have cruised enough to know that tips typically increase every two years. Carnival was due and IMO the increase is minimal with plenty of advance notice so that no one can say they were caught by surprise.

I really don't know how good or poorly staff is paid on ships - or how it relates to what they would make at home. I suspect it's decent in comparison to local jobs. But none of that matters to me or is a factor when I pay my tips. Just like I don't get why people bring up how much the porters make. I pay them because I appreciate what they do and because these are tipped positions. For me it's not optional and not for me to worry about whether they are paid well or not. I do it because of the service they render to me and my family.

I don't think you're dictating and it's nice to hear your thoughts from another country. My uncle lives in Europe after living his whole life in the states and there is an amazing difference with many things. ;)

We can agree to disagree and have different views that are polar opposites. It doesnt make the other person wrong. Often written word can be taken out of context and seem condescending. It's good that we've avoided that and is clearly seen by both of us. So big respect for appreciating this.

And like I've said - I have pre-booked gratuities x 4 for our party and will tip onboard at the end of the cruise to staff I feel have gone the extra mile for us.