Haven getting too expensive?

Ktuluorion

Price increases should not be a surprise. The CEO was talking last year about how NCL rates would be increasing with the new ships. They a expensive and have big mortgages and NCL is starting to look to paying them down.

One reason for all the announced cut backs last year.

AKK

I wouldn't mind paying the price if every perk was guaranteed & the Haven really was a place to relax.

But, our experience on the Breakaway in Oct was terrible.

Since NCL (or anyone) could ever guarantee the type of fellow passengers you will have, every cruise & experience is different.

Although we loved our Aft suite & large balcony, the Haven itself was a nightmare (including the restaurant) Screaming children running all over constantly with parents who just sat & ignored the noise. Outside, inside running everywhere. Just wanted to sit by the bar a few nights to have a drink before dinner & left each time. People were lying all over the furniture & floor, yelling back & forth to one another. Some it seemed never moved from the Haven. Whenever we went in, the same large loud crowd was always there.

Our Butler was almost invisible. I heard the word no too many times to count. One rough night I simply asked for ginger ale & was told they didn't have any. He never asked if I wanted anything else, just said no. Over & over (and even before the cruise) I told the Butler that we didn't want any seafood as snacks. I made it perfectly clear. What did I get each day? Seafood of some sort.

I felt for the almost $6500 we paid for the 2 of us -we didn't receive what was promised. From that bad experience, we've decided to stop cruising for now.

Again, the price was fine with me when I booked, but in the end the services were lacking & impersonal. I really felt the staff was stretched over so many suites that not everyone was going to get good service. And if some suite guests are pushy enough, I guess they took up a lot of time.

For the prices they charge, I expect the services I paid for without having to complain each day of my vacation. The service should just be there -not something I have to beg for.

For us, it wasn't worth the price.

When we went on BA it was over spring break time and didn't have any of the rowdiness in the Haven area but the rest of what you describe is why we won't be on the BA (or GA) again. It just wasn't worth the price and with the jacked up prices they put into place about a year ago, definitely not.

The thing I really don't "get" about the Haven are the teeny-tiny balconies, unless you get one of the big suites or an aft suite on a different deck where your butler service seems to be more of a challenge (not always, but often enough).

What's "luxurious" about paying a premium for a "private" space that you share with a couple hundred people?

We'll probably never sail on the "Away" ships for this reason. Just can't rationalize the cost of the Haven for our needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why NCL has options for everyone from suits to insides. People find value in different things. What I value may not be what you value. I see value in what the Haven offers. I would rather stay home than sail in a inside cabin. Other people would rather take 2 or 3 cruises than 1 expensive one. I do not have the time for 3 cruises a year (wish I did)

The 2 bed 2 bath rooms are perfect for families. Much better than booking 2 balcony rooms for not much more money.

Its all simple supply and demand if no one books the room at the offered price they will lower the price.

I look at Royals new Genie (cough butler cough) program and do not find enough value in that. Their big suites look great but at 15k (Harmony next summer)and up its not worth it for me. We will book 2 balcony rooms and be fine with that. I am sure the people in those suites will enjoy them, they find value in the services offered.

My real money goes to my beachfront home on cape cod I just dont need to nor want to spend it on a cruise lol

I certainly could afford the haven but the last thing I want is a butler and I always get a great seat in the theater so why would I want the roped off area to the side

I like the mdr and interacting with all pax and I always get great loungers one deck up

Oh and when we sailed into and out of Venice in both 2008 on ccl and 2012 on princess we had great space up on deck and incredible conversations with our 4 kids and great scenery and made memories

Not doing a Europe cruise in 2017 just a nice long land vacay abroad

And really looking forward to enjoying our gem Carib cruise in October...great price on that one too

Ncl is not good enough for me to drop a small fortune on a their cruises but they fit the bill in what I'm looking for in a cruise....price...itin...convenient embark port... so that basically was my point but I thought I would brag a little anyway. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My point (not the point where my cottage is), was that you said "the smart money" does what YOU want (mid inside, inexpensive).

And I said "no, the smart money does what THEY want".

That's it, that's all. I have no problem sailing in an inside, if that's what I want that trip. It's unlikely I'd want that, but I have done it before and have no judgement about one thing being better than the other.

My whole post was that the smart thing to do is what that person wants to do. Your way is the best FOR YOU. Not FOR ME.

And yes...the Haven suites are getting expensive. On my upcoming Jade trip, I have a FWD PH with suite amenities. To get access to the Haven (basically a secluded space for the 2 sea days) would cost an EXTRA $2,000 per person! Just insane, considering no other benefits.

Oh, and Cape Cod is quite lovely, we try to rent at Boatslip in PTown for July 4th periodically.

Stephen

My point (not the point where my cottage is), was that you said "the smart money" does what YOU want (mid inside, inexpensive).

And I said "no, the smart money does what THEY want".

That's it, that's all. I have no problem sailing in an inside, if that's what I want that trip. It's unlikely I'd want that, but I have done it before and have no judgement about one thing being better than the other.

My whole post was that the smart thing to do is what that person wants to do. Your way is the best FOR YOU. Not FOR ME.

Exactly this.

We all pick and choose how to spend our money, regardless of how much we have. Everyone does! Everyone places their own value on different things. That's so basic that I think I lost IQ points just typing the words, yet it's so often misunderstood on this forum.

I've often said I'd likely never sail in the Haven, and I've often been told, "You would if you could afford it." It's very funny, because they automatically assume that money is the reason I don't. Some people can't fathom that others might have different interests than themselves.

As long as people are willing to pay and Haven is full, prices will keep going up. The Haven area is different, the perks that go with it are numerous and unfortunately, out of most of us our reaches. To those who sail in them, congratulations, I do envy you.

The simple answer is yes they are too high, if they weren't they would sell out and upsell opportunities for far less wouldn't exist. It's a matter of personal choice as to whether paying for a particular cabin at the asking price is the right thing to do....and maybe on some sailings, it does pay to book ahead. The fact remains though, that on a lot of cruises there are upsell opportunities at terrific prices and the only thing lost is an additional two freebies that don't nearly make up for the difference in price. You do have to be willing to take what is available, but from my experience there were several cabins to choose from...and that was only a few weeks out. It appears as if they are throwing a price against the wall and seeing if it will stick. When it doesn't, the cost drops like a rocket.

I don't mind the price increases if there is a commensurate increase in perks. Lately we've seen downgrades like generic M&Ms, one overworked Haven valet who can't single-handedly manage the needs of everyone in the Haven (lunch/drink orders as an example), family members not sailing in the Haven being offered key cards to join their family in there, etc..

Also hate to see cheap Haven upsells as that indicates that NCL didn't find the sweet spot for pricing to begin with.

That last piece kind of bothers me too. It makes you have this choice between "overpaying" or rolling the dice on an upsell. If the price was say 3k/pp and there were no upsells i'd pay it every time. At 6k/pp, the value isn't there, however, you can pay 1.5k/pp for mini-suite and hope for a 500-700 upsell bringing it to even CHEAPER than what I value it at. It makes the whole thing frustrating.

Look at it this way -- I value over a mini suite:

Extra Space - $250/pp

Haven Checkin - $50/pp

Butler - $150/pp

Concierge - $150/pp

Haven Restaurant / Haven - $500/pp

Extra "free at sea" perks - $300/pp

So basically i'm willing to pay a $1900/pp delta or so from a mini suite (which i think is pretty fair). I might really be inflating the value of some of these as well.

I agree with Stephen that life is short so enjoy what you can, when you can.

That being said I was pricing Haven cabins for New Year's Eve from Miami and was in sticker shock when I saw the H5's price at $7199 :eek:. Even with my CAS discount that's too high for me.

I love to cruise for New Year but will wait and try for a last minute booking.

Tracy

Now that is almost a deal! It would have cost almost $12,000 for 4 of us in the H4 on the Epic for new years. We took 2 balcony cabins instead!

To me it's not 3 cheap vacations vs. 3 expensive vacations. It's 9+ cruises in a lower cabin vs. 6+ cruises in a balcony vs. 3 in the lower level Haven suite. On the same ship, with the same ports, and 90% of the same amenities available. I just don't see the value at current prices for a room on a ship that I don't spend that much time in.

I'm booked on the Escape for November.

B6 with large balcony = $3528.68

Haven H5 suite = $7168.68

Haven booking advantages

250 Internet minutes

free dining package

extra $225 in OBC

I'm sure free dining is nice, but I can eat quite a bit without doubling my cost. I'm sure I'll try a suite at some point, but it seems like NCL is trying to test the high end of the market currently.

I think they're over priced. Like other's have mentioned if you can control the atmosphere so that you're getting what the Haven is supposed to represent then it wouldn't be all that bad. But when you have as others have posted, kids running around all over the place, cruisers hogging loungers or other public spaces that other Haven guests would like to use, then it's really not worth the $2600-4500 PP for a room.

According to all the literature you read the Haven is supposed to be a getaway spot. A place to getaway form all the hustle and bustle of the rest of the ship. A place where things aren't crowed and guests are treated with personal service. I sure wouldn't want to shell out $3-4000pp and not be able to enjoy what the haven is supposed to represent.

With all that being said though we did do an upsell from our mini suite to an

H6 aft penthouse for $750pp. That brought our out of pocket pp cost to $2,033.51. I think that's a super deal even with all the above down sides. I wouldn't want to pay $3,000 for our room. But considering the perks and the price I feel we got a better deal than on other cruises where we've spent $15-1700pp and had just a spa balcony with no Haven perks.

I think there's a fine line for everyone as to what they want to spend vs the rewards. In the end regardless of where you are staying on the ship you still may have to deal with unpleasantness.

It's just too bad that todays society has turned into a lot of all about me scenarios. I don't know where it comes from.

I will add that this is a cruise to celebrate our 40th anniversary so we are splurging a bit. Had it been just a regular getaway cruise then we wouldn't spend the extra for the Haven.

Edited by goducs

To me it's not 3 cheap vacations vs. 3 expensive vacations. It's 9+ cruises in a lower cabin vs. 6+ cruises in a balcony vs. 3 in the lower level Haven suite. On the same ship, with the same ports, and 90% of the same amenities available. I just don't see the value at current prices for a room on a ship that I don't spend that much time in.

I'm booked on the Escape for November.

B6 with large balcony = $3528.68

Haven H5 suite = $7168.68

Haven booking advantages

250 Internet minutes

free dining package

extra $225 in OBC

I'm sure free dining is nice, but I can eat quite a bit without doubling my cost. I'm sure I'll try a suite at some point, but it seems like NCL is trying to test the high end of the market currently.

I agree with the nine cruises example. While those in Haven suites get free meals in specialty restaurants, I can be in an inside cabin and get eighteen specialty meals for two because of the platinum status. I get this for far less money than by booking a Haven suite.

I believe three hots and a cot are adequate for me and I have many dollars left to enjoy other things on the ship or in the ports.

But again, it's a function of what you want. Years ago I spent $8,000 as a charity donation to an event including a meet & greet with Elton John. I wasn't even that big of a fan, but the cause was good & what they heck.

I justified it as "only 2 months of mortgage payments". So instead of paying the mortgage off in 16 years & 2 months....now it will be 16 years & 4 months. :)

It's the easiest way to get away with spending for today.

I've had too many friends die far too young, and not taken the time to enjoy themselves to the extent they could have.

I will not make that mistake. Both the driveway, and the mortgage can wait.

Stephen

Financing two tickets to Elton John for 16 years? Doesn't sound like smart money.

The simple answer is yes, when you have 20-30% of Haven suites unsold 30 days prior to most sail dates, the market says they're over priced. If they were priced correctly they would sell out (or at least 90%+ sold). Look at Royal Caribbean - even with their higher prices and lower perks their suites almost always sell out (you can argue whether the value is worth it, but the market is saying the price is fair). Norwegian, on the other hand, has to resort to upsells at a steep discount (usually 50-60% of "retail") in order to fill these rooms. We're sailing in 9 days on Escape and grabbed an upsell from a balcony guarantee to an H6 for $1,700 additional - total cost was $3k less than the $7,500 rack rate. Sure, we miss out on double points, 250 minutes of wifi, and $50 per port excursion credit, but it ended up being way cheaper than connecting rooms for the 4 of us and we have access to The Haven. Those "perks" we're missing out on don't have $3,000 in value to anyone. I personally would not book The Haven at retail pricing. Instead we would either sale a "luxury" line or a land-based AI.

For me the Haven is pointless. I really enjoy "the simple life" at the buffet (I don't get these at home) and I'm still capable of finding the theater by myself. The last thing I need is a butler bringing me a bowl of M&Ms in the afternoon.

It's not a matter of price; we can afford it. We don't need it and don't want it. I like being with the masses.

But, as long as people are willing to pay, NCL will continue to charge.

I agree. Is the same food, same itinerary etc. I think is better to pay the money somewhere else whether is excursions, drinks, spa etc. If you want or need the space because of family size then i get it, but if its only for two people to me 6 thousands and above means 4-5 cruises in the future. Again for us is not a question of money is just being practical. I do say if you like the extra space knock yourself out. We don't spend much time in our stateroom at all just to sleep.

We have to agree, especially re: certain Haven stateroom classes. I contact NCL re: a second cruise to Bermuda on Breakaway for us, comment about the empty staterooms, offer a reasonable price, and get "book the cruise and hope for the upgrade."

So, we just keep cruising elsewhere.

Our first Breakaway cruise was $3,500 in total for two.

The current Haven Spa's are $3,000 more; and they are quite empty just a couple of weeks away.

Haven_Spa.PNG