What Should First Timers Bring??

NoDak Lady

Take the same things you take on any other vacation. :) You'll get all kinds of suggestions, but if you take everything people suggest you'll need an extra suitcase! I don't bring shoe holders or highlighters or clips or the other things people suggest and have never missed them. :D

OTC meds including Immodium. Limited selection and expensive onboard.

Packing is an evolving process.

Carry on (don't give these to the porters) documents, meds, extra set of clothes, electronics, soda cans and wine.

Edited by SadieN

I do take a highlighter for noting events I want to do in the newsletter and found that a few of those battery operated tealight candles made getting up in the night less of a shock from the brightness of the bathroom lights. Also one or two of those little canned car air freshener fragrances from the 99 cent store made the bathroom a bit fresher. I also bring a very small notebook-to keep track of crew names --so I don't have to remember later.

For my grown step kids- 4 of them in an inside cabin-I brought a clear plastic hanging shoe organizer-did not take up much space and was a life saver keeping shoes, hair and beauty items organized and easy to see. Just be sure to protect the door from scratches by placing a folded piece of paper between the hooks and the painted door. But I agree with everything else-maybe 2 swimsuits and shoes, a positive attitude and just have FUN!

I agree with many of the posters who suggest not taking all the doo-dads that are suggested on CC. I started taking so many little things that my luggage was getting so heavy! And I rarely used them anyway.

If your ship has a self serve laundry and your cruise is longer than 7 days, you can bring minimal clothing and wash them halfway through the cruise.

I try to pack as lightly as possible and am so much happier while traveling. You'll probably never see your fellow cruisers again and you won't see those in ports again either, so who cares if you wear the same things several times? ;)