Dad taking a child on cruise

Reread the website. Nowhere does it say it's required to have a letter. How many people do you think do international travel everyday without a letter from the other parent. It would not hurt to have one, but it is not required.

I am a divorced mother of 2 boys. I've cruised several times with my boys without their father, both before our divorce and after. I always get a letter that he signs and has notarized stating he's aware of our plans and agrees. Whether I am asked for it or not is irrelevant. IF I'm asked and I don't have it, trip is over.

To those who said that the child has a passport and both parents had to agree to it at the time of issuance, what does that have to do with it? Child passports are good for 5 years; lots of things can change. Agreeing to get your child a passport is not an agreement that one or the other parent can take the child out of the country.

I live in NJ and everyone here is aware of the Sean Goldman case (where his mother took him to visit family in Brazil with his father's knowledge) and then decided not to come back, divorced his father and married again. The mother then passed away in childbirth and Sean's father fought for years to get Sean back from his stepfather and family. Sean's father was not aware that there was a problem or that his wife would do what she did.

I am extra careful about having permission letters. My older son is now 18 so no need for one for him any longer. My younger one turns 14 this summer, and his passport will be up. I'm debating getting him another one (and having to deal with his father) or waiting 2 years and letting him get an adult one without needing both of us present. I can use his BC until then but it would be better not to have to get a 5 year passport when he can get an adult one 2 years from now.

Only downside is that we cannot plan a trip out of the country if he doesn't get one.

Edited by njmomof2

You are talking about crossing international borders. If they suspect the child does not have permission from the other parent to travel they can refuse. Why would you even take the chance of the hassle? I get the letters for my 2 oldest all the time. It's no big deal. It's even easier if the parents are still together. If someone doesn't take one and they get hassled or even denied boarding they have no one else to blame but themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm a high volume travel agent, and please take my advice as I see this happen every week, and have had clients be denied boarding !! You HAVE to have a notarized letter from the other parent consenting that the child can go with you. Royal Caribbean has a minor consent form that you can fill out as well and have that notarized and signed by the other parent.

I think if the kids and parents last name is the same then you don't need the letter. Otherwise there is no way for RC or anyone to know if the other parent is involved. It would be presumptuous to assume otherwise, which RC would not do.

Nonetheless, I've always had a letter when I went with my niece and nephew. I think I was asked for it twice.

That letter is for someone other than the parent or legal guardian, plus it's for Australia. Let's try to post stuff that's relevant. No where on the customs website does it say anything about it being required, only that it is recommended. Personally I don't get my legal advice from a travel agent either.

I think if the kids and parents last name is the same then you don't need the letter. Otherwise there is no way for RC or anyone to know if the other parent is involved. It would be presumptuous to assume otherwise, which RC would not do.

Nonetheless, I've always had a letter when I went with my niece and nephew. I think I was asked for it twice.

Niece and nephew are a different story, there it is required. You better get a notarized letter giving you the right to make medical decisions also.

Edited by ATC cruiser

First of all, you do not know what your talking about, and second, it's not legal advice, it's a known requirement, and third, that form is not for Australia, what In the world are you even talking about. My clients use this form every day, I hope people do not take your advice because you have no clue what your talking about !! I sell 900 cruises a year !! BOTH PARENTS HAVE TO BE TRAVELING IF NOT YOU NEED THE FORM IT'S POLICY !! SOMETIMES THEY DO NOT ASK FOR IT BUT IT'S POLICY !!

Halfway down the form it asks for the expected date of arrival back to Australia, plus it's from the Australian website, thus .au in the address. You are the one giving wrong requirements. The customs website even says it's not a requirement, just recommended.

That letter is for someone other than the parent or legal guardian, plus it's for Australia. Let's try to post stuff that's relevant. No where on the customs website does it say anything about it being required, only that it is recommended. Personally I don't get my legal advice from a travel agent either.

You try arguing that with a customs officer. I travel alone with my kids all the time and they don't say it's required because it's up to the discretion of the officer. Why would you ever risk it? In addition every country has different policies. In some countries it is required.

Are you reading of the u.s. Customs site? Because if that's the case you may want to consider what it says there would not apply as you are talking about taking a child out of the u.s. You need to go by the country of destination, not the u.s.

I looked on the site you listed and it actually says this.

Adults traveling with children should also be aware that, while the U.S. does not require this documentation, many other countries do; failure to produce notarized permission letters and/or birth certificates could result in travelers being refused entry (Canada has very strict requirements in this regard).

I never said it wasn't a bad idea, I said it wasn't required. My main problem with what pacruzer posted, was that the page she referred to had nothing to do with a parent traveling with their own child. It was for traveling with a child other than your own, plus it was from Australia.

Edited by ATC cruiser

I never said it wasn't a bad idea, I said it wasn't required. My main problem with what pacruzer posted, was that the page she referred to had nothing to do with a parent traveling with their own child. It was for traveling with a child other than your own, plus it was from Australia.

I am a parent who travels alone with their children and the letter that my ex husband signs is that same as if someone who is not their parent. It has nothing to do with who has the child, it is showing the parent gives consent for the child to leave the country.

And your posts about what u.s customs requires is useless as the poster is talking about leaving the u.s. And yes many countries do require this. I'm pretty sure if they were coming to Canada it would be required.

I have never been asked to see the letter but the u.s. isn't as strict and I'm not asked coming into Canada as my kids and I live in Canada.

Why do you need to get nasty towards others who are actually providing information that is more accurate then yours? And yes a travel agent would likely know more about travel documents needed then a lawyer.

I think that the problem here is that you are looking at it from the perspective of what the US requires and not the perspective of other countries and their requirements. Travel documents and related requirements such as visas are dictated by the country or countries that you are visiting, not by the US. You keep saying that documentation isn't a requirement, but you have no idea which country the dad cited by the OP is visiting.

Your divorced, entirely different story than the OP. All I'm saying, and the customs website backs me up on this, it isn't required. Now entering different countries may be a different story. I didn't get nasty until pacruzer started YELLING. The part of the customs page you quoted even says it's not required.

I think that the problem here is that you are looking at it from the perspective of what the US requires and not the perspective of other countries and their requirements. Travel documents and related requirements such as visas are dictated by the country or countries that you are visiting, not by the US. You keep saying that documentation isn't a requirement, but you have no idea which country the dad cited by the OP is visiting.

I'll bet a hundred bucks it's a closed loop cruise in the US, but you are correct.

Edited by ATC cruiser

Your divorced, entirely different story than the OP. All I'm saying, and the customs website backs me up on this, it isn't required. Now entering different countries may be a different story. I didn't get nasty until pacruzer started YELLING. The part of the customs page you quoted even says it's not required.

Actually it is no different if the parents are divorced or simply travelling alone.

And the op is talking about a cruise which means most likely different countries so the U.S. Customs information is actually useless for him. The part of the page I quoted says the US does not require it but other countries do.

You are the one posting incorrect and irrelevant information yet getting snotty with those who have actually posted information that is correct.

I don't think you are getting it. The u.s. Customs regulations are irrelevant to the poster. If they are not leaving the country then customs isn't an issue. If they are then it's that countries regulations that matter, not the US.

I don't understand how you don't think being divorced is different. I may of read to much into the OP's post about where they are going, but I'll bet it's a closed loop cruise in the US. A divorced parent can't leave the country with the child unless the other parent approves, not so if not divorced.

I don't understand how you don't think being divorced is different. I may of read to much into the OP's post about where they are going, but I'll bet it's a closed loop cruise in the US. A divorced parent can't leave the country with the child unless the other parent approves, not so if not divorced.

I know because I have traveled alone with my kids before and after being divorced.

And you need to stop talking about being "able to leave" the country. What you are not getting is that it has nothing to do with what country you are leaving but what country you are entering.

And yes there are countries where they will not allow you to enter with a child without permission of both parents regardless if they are still married or not. Canada is strict on this. They don't care if there is a divorce or not. The laws are set up prevent child abduction to another country. This can happen while people are still "married". So yes customs officials of various countries scrutinize a parent travelling alone and want to see that the other parent is aware of and approves the trip.

You don't know it's a closed loop. You are saying that to try and prove your point. Well I'm sorry your wrong.

In many countries a parent traveling alone is REQUIRED to have a letter. And yes people do get refused boarding because they don't have one.

I hope the OP comes back and asks if they need a passport for their cruise, then we can start a whole nother argument.

No worries, as long as you recognize that it's the passport requirements of the countries visited and not those of the US that dictate whether or not you get to embark on the cruise! :)

Edited by Fouremco

I find the argument put forward by some that they were never asked so don't bother is a bit specious.

I don't think any post prior to yours said not to get one. Several people said they hadn't been asked for it, but I don't recall anyone saying, "I didn't need it so therefore don't bother." :rolleyes:

RC does not care. It is Customs and Border Patrol. Until they are satisfied that both parents allow the travel they can detain you. It is for the very reason of NOT knowing what the involvement of the other parent is that will cause this delay. If you miss the ship, that's your own fault for not having the documentation to satisfy CBP. And if you fail to have proper documents and miss the ship there is NO travel insurance that will reimburse.