Flying my MIL Out to Dog sit

WesternBroncoCruiser

We are thinking of flying my MIL from Dallas to LA to dog sit since the prices are so good right now.

I priced out Love to LAX on South West and their lowest fare came out to around $190. However she lives closer to DFW and has an american airlines credit card that gets her free bags - I think she has to use it to pay for the tickets, so we would reimburse her, but anyway do you think there is any chance I'll find a price close to that on American?

Dog sitter would cost us $30 a day and MIL just the cost of the plane ticket.

Are there still days of the week that are better than others Like Tues to Tuesday with a weekend stay, I though all those fares went away when the airlines restructured after 9/11.

I just don't know how much it fluctuates and changes from day to day.

Nobody does.

You can easily price out different date and time options online so not sure why you need to ask if flying on one day is cheaper than another. :confused:

If you like what you see then buy it. I'd pay significantly more than that to fly AA and avoid the WN cattle car experience.

Yes she knows. She likes to come out to LA to visit us - Beach is her favorite place to go. So we are thinking we'd have her come out on Wednesday, we leave for the cruise on Saturday and then Return the Following Sunday. Then she'd stay until Wednesday the next week and spend some time with my wife.

Doggies love her. She has come out before the stay with teens when we went on cruise, but teens are now grown, but doggies still havn't left the nest. I guess it probably makes sense to have her come out as long as the prices are less then the dog sitting service charges. :)

So it would be mid September which is about 120 days, is there a magic number of days for pricing flights on a well serviced route like DFW to LAX?

Magic hour -- no -- magic is very rare these days. Generally speaking there tends to be lower fares late Monday to early Thursday but not always and not on every route. I think that currently with so many flights flying at capacity or even over-booked that waiting for "the price to go down" might mean no ticket or a higher ticket. As is often said here. Watch for a price you can live with, and buy and don't look back. Often times it is worth paying more for an air ticket for convenience. (I don't do 6 AM flights having to be at airport at 4AM Not doing it unless that is the only option). There are many factors to choosing a flight -- price is not the only thing. Also be sure to understand the additional costs if any for bags, seat selection, etc.

Can't get my head around this conversation. If you're MIL is willing to come... same price as dog sitting - therefore zero - she gets to visit before and after - loves the area - and the dog gets 24/7 care.... Where does price come into it?

I would easily pay for my MIL to come here to pet-sit (which she has done) for 2X the price of an airline ticket. MIL's happy, pet's happy, I'm happy. What is wrong with this picture?

I already checked AA.com and got $216.

Can't get my head around this conversation. If you're MIL is willing to come... same price as dog sitting - therefore zero - she gets to visit before and after - loves the area - and the dog gets 24/7 care.... Where does price come into it?

My thoughts as well, after seeing that the OP has already found a good fare on AA.

OP: Your MIL lives closer to DFW and that is worth something in terms of both cost and convenience. If all of this is over a difference of $26, I say buy the dang ticket already, on AA, for $216. Surely that is worth it to YOU for what you are getting from her in return!

If you wait for AA to drop a few bucks, you may well find that both AA and WN prices go UP, possibly significantly.

Edited by waterbug123

Is it worth it for a few dollars to be cheap and inconvenience your MIL by making her get to Love instead of DFW????

Man up and buy her the AA ticket. She is willing to come and dogsit - that should be enough to have you pay to get her there by the most convenient means to her...

If I was your MIL, I would be hassling you to take me with you not leave me with the dog! You have already pushed the limit:D Don't add cheap and "unthoughtful" to the mix. Oh and leave some nice groceries in the fridge.

I guess I didn't give enough details.

I already checked AA.com and got $216. which seems pretty good, I just don't know how much it fluctuates and changes from day to day.

$216 is a good price. Just buy. While it might be possible to get a cheaper price (marginally) on another carrier and/or waiting it out on AA, we're talking perhaps a $20-30 savings. Not worth it, just get it done.

It shouldn't matter who buys the ticket to get the free bags. Her credit card benefit is tied to her AA number. But if she buys it, she'll get double AA miles on the purchase, so that would be nice for her. I have the AA card but usually don't purchase flights on it, but still get the free bags.

Edited by sr4mjc

I would easily pay for my MIL to come here to pet-sit (which she has done) for 2X the price of an airline ticket. MIL's happy, pet's happy, I'm happy. What is wrong with this picture?

and while you are at it, you might want to look at First Class....we just purchased tickets from HOU>CLT and it turned out that flying roundtrip First Class was only $50 more than what we were going to be paying for our MainCabinExtra seats. Due to our height (I am 6'7" and DH is 6'-3") we have determined that the cost of MainCabinExtra ( or Econ+ or Choice or whatever each airline calls the section of the plane that they haven't reduced the legroom in less than minimal) is just part of the airfare now and not really an extra...for us. Anyway, take a look at first...it might not be that much more expensive....then again it might:eek:....you never know where the airfare wheel of fortune is going to land!:eek:

Edited by Clay Clayton

• 4 weeks later...

So my wife sends me a reminder today "What about flying my Mom out to dog sit?"

I went to see what the prices were on on the flights, and found a RT from Dallas to LA for $70.20. I hope it is real, cuase I called My MIL, got her Frequent Flyer stuff and booked it on the spot!!!

I hope I don't get a call saying it was a computer glitch because I am really flabbergasted!!! at that price.

... and booked it on the spot!!!

I hope I don't get a call saying it was a computer glitch because I am really flabbergasted!!! at that price.

If you've got a ticket number (a 13-digit number starting 001, assuming you've booked the AA fare that I can see), you should be fine.

Well it says "Ticketed", I have a record locator number that pulls up the reservation saying "ticketed" shows seats we selected and a price of $70.20.

At the time I booked it showed 7 seats at that price $70.20 and another flight that was right around $100, Wednesday to Wednesday flights in Sept.

Do you have a TICKET number? It's a long series of digits not to be confused with the record locator number which is only six digits and often is made up of letters. If you have an actual ticket number you should be all set.

Sorry Globaliser I didn't see your post before I wrote mine.

I think the message does merit repeating. So many people don't understand the difference between a confirmation number and a ticket number.

Edited by plane2port

Do you have a TICKET number? It's a long series of digits not to be confused with the record locator number which is only six digits and often is made up of letters. If you have an actual ticket number you should be all set.

Sorry Globaliser I didn't see your post before I wrote mine.

I think the message does merit repeating. So many people don't understand the difference between a confirmation number and a ticket number.

Yay, thanks for the help. :) I was able to locate an actual ticket number!!! So I think she's good to go.

Southwest is having a big sale right now, and usually AA doesn't match it, but they must have made a few tickets available at sale prices to compete. My MIL lives much closer to DFW than Love so it is much better for her to fly on American out of DFW.