Star or Grand for Hawaii

SOLIVITA LADY

We are looking to cruise Hawaii in 2018 and our choices are on Star on March19 out of LA or Grand April 14 out of San Francisco.

Which would you choose and why? We have to fly in from Orlando and hope we can get a direct flight to the departure port.

So many choices so little time:)

Thanks

SOLIVITA LADY

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

We are looking to cruise Hawaii in 2018 and our choices are on Star on March19 out of LA or Grand April 14 out of San Francisco.

Which would you choose and why? We have to fly in from Orlando and hope we can get a direct flight to the departure port.

Thanks

SOLIVITA LADY

I would personally opt for the Grand. Just because she has been fitted with an Alfredo's. I am not sure if the Star will be refitted by 2018 to include an Alfredo's. We have enjoyed both ships.

The Los Angeles port is boring. San Francisco is a fantastic place to be docked- and to sail in and out of (very windy at sailaway). I think it's thrilling. I've sailed both ships and had an equally good time on both of them. They are more alike than different. Alfredo's is incredible. It's free and the ambiance is nice. I agree with other posters on this.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I would choose the Star in a heartbeat. She has Skywalker's and the cabins are better laid out. The Grand's cabins are smaller and the closet area 1/2 the size of that on the Star. Yes, she has Alfredo's but to me, a more comfortable cabin, more storage, and Skywalker's on the Star would be my choice.

I think the Star Princess has the best Skywalker's nightclub. Skywalker's was removed from the Grand and replaced with the One Five nightclub. The One Five has kind of a cool art deco vibe, but it's not as nice as Skywalker's.

If you haven't been to San Francisco lately, the port is definitely better for site-seeing than San Pedro. It would be a toss-up for me, but I've been to San Francisco many times. I would probably compare the cruise price and airfare and go with the cheaper one.:D

I would choose the Star in a heartbeat. She has Skywalker's and the cabins are better laid out. The Grand's cabins are smaller and the closet area 1/2 the size of that on the Star. Yes, she has Alfredo's but to me, a more comfortable cabin, more storage, and Skywalker's on the Star would be my choice.

I totally forgot to mention the small cabins on the Grand. There's no closet space at all for a 15-day cruise. On our last Grand Princess cruise, even my DH remarked, "This is the smallest closet I have ever seen on a ship.". Thanks for the reminder because we are thinking about Hawaii for next year too. :D

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm waiting for pricing on both ships. We love Alfredos but could deal without it. I'm just nervous that they will not have a Hawaiian Ambassador group to entertain on the April 14 th cruise as Princess has sent Elua to Japan in April to start the season sailing there. Would be very disappointed not to have a Hawaiian theme to the cruise.

We've sailed out of San Pedro before but not San Francisco.

We're leaning towards Star Princess as this would be a new ship for us, have sailed the Grand multiple times.

Jackie

SOLIVITA LADY

Edited by SOLIVITA LADY

Thanks

SOLIVITA LADY

Star for sure. It is a better version of the Grand. The Star has a larger Lido Pool sitting area, an improved buffet layout, 6 ft.long vs 3 ft. long cabin closets, Skywalker's Lounge and more. Plus sailing out of S.F. is a little more north and may be cooler then the route from L.A.

The only plus for the Grand is the home port of San Francisco, if you are planning to spend 4 or 5 extra days there.

I am with Pam on this one....I would choose the Star over the Grand in a heartbeat! It is just a much nicer ship!

I didn't feel that the cabins were different on Grand and Star. In a standard cabin the closets are the same on both ships.

They are definitely different in size between the Grand and the Star. On the Grand, the closets are about half the size of any other Princess ship on which I have sailed. For a 10 nighter, there was plenty of room in the closet ... don't get me wrong ... but they are definitely smaller.

• 4 weeks later...

We are on our inaugural Princess cruise aboard the Star Princess in October, having only cruised with P&O previously. British Airways have made us a provisional one night room only reservation at the LAX Hilton Hotel prior to cruising the following day. I have read negative local reviews of this area of the hotel for walking out in the evening.

As I have time to cancel this reservation can anyone offer advice, guidance as to a preferred stay location perhaps nearer the World Cruise Centre at San Pedro?

Edited by expc

We are on our inaugural Princess cruise aboard the Star Princess in October, having only cruised with P&O previously. British Airways have made us a provisional one night room only reservation at the LAX Hilton Hotel prior to cruising the following day. I have read negative local reviews of this area of the hotel for walking out in the evening.

As I have time to cancel this reservation can anyone offer advice, guidance as to a preferred stay location perhaps nearer the World Cruise Centre at San Pedro?

Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree in San Pedro is much better...... its about a $65.00-$75.00 taxi ride from LAX to San Pedro... depending on the day and time that you arrive.

I always stay at the Crowne Plaza and walk with my luggage the next day to the ship. Such a beautiful walk along the board walk.

Enjoy your cruise :)

I too would opt for the Star Princess, primarily because she has Skywalkers. The vistas from Skywalkers can't be beat. IMO the Star is just a very nice ship.

I have done many cruises with Princess, but have not been on the Grand, and reading that the closets are much smaller, and knowing that Skywalkers is no longer there , would probably deter me from booking a cruise on her.

I'm looking at booking a cruise for January and my pick would be the Grand. We've been on the Star 3 times and I have named her the sausage ship. I can't bear to go to the buffet and see several dishes with sausage in them. Even the meatloaf had a hot dog shoved down the center of it. Served hot one day and cold the next. I think the chef got a deal on sausage. Skywalkers is no big deal to us. It's a nice quiet scenic lounge, a place to hang out if you didn't book a balcony. The Star is a beautiful ship, I'd book it if I could be assured that sausage isn't the main theme at the buffet.:eek:

I would definitely go on the Star. Since Sky walkers has been removed from the Grand that would be a deal breaker for me for a Hawaii Cruise. I spend much time up on sky walkers on sea days. It is great to sit and watch that beautiful view of the sea. I was on the Grand in January. She is beginning to show her age a bit and I really missed Sky Walkers.

Been on both, 100% prefer the Star, but the Grand is OKAY. Pricing would make my choice, whatever is cheaper, cruise and airfare considered.

I don't like that the spa doesn't have showers on the Grand.

We did Hawaii on the Star previously and loved it. Enjoyed Vines better on the Star too.

I have The Grand booked for a future cruise because of the departure port. So I do like it.

There isn't much to do in Long Beach, but SF has a ton of things to do there!!

Good Luck!! You will be fine either way :)

I've done both ships to Hawaii and would probably choose the Grand for next year because a) they have their drydock in December so should have the new beds (to be fair I haven't paid attention to when the Star gets theirs as San Francisco is only an hour from home) b) the weather in April will more likely be warmer and calmer (no guarantees of course). Their should still be a Hawaiian theme - we usually get Kimo and Lokelani on the San Francisco sailings and they are great. If you are planning to look around the port San Francisco is a much better port (although more expensive!). On the other hand, going on the Star in March you will probably have more whale sightings if that is a factor for you, Either way it's a great cruise

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm waiting for pricing on both ships. We love Alfredos but could deal without it. I'm just nervous that they will not have a Hawaiian Ambassador group to entertain on the April 14 th cruise as Princess has sent Elua to Japan in April to start the season sailing there. Would be very disappointed not to have a Hawaiian theme to the cruise.

We've sailed out of San Pedro before but not San Francisco.

We're leaning towards Star Princess as this would be a new ship for us, have sailed the Grand multiple times.

Jackie

SOLIVITA LADY

We cruised to Hawaii in April of this year on the Grand Princess and the Makena E duo were the Hawaiian Ambassadors onboard. Kimo and Lokelini were great and I liked her hula classes and music so much that we have become friends on Facebook. There was lei making, hula class, ukulele classes, language classes, concerts in the piazza etc. Both the hula and ukelele classes performed in the Princess Theatre on the last sea day and were included in the Relections video. I had a blast in the hula class. Pictures can be found here:

http://www.websailor.org/gallery/Cruises/Hawaii_Cruise_April_2016/

Edited by cflutist

Now Pam... We all know that Grand is your least favorite Princess ship. :)

I would take either ship. I do like Alfredo's on Grand - a big plus for me. I have never had a decent slice of pizza on Star.

I don't really care about Skywalker's as every time I go there in the day to read I end up leaving because I freeze and, at night, I despise the "music" they play and they play it at an incredible volume.

I do prefer the cabins and closets on Star and the fact that the center staircase isn't truncated. I still don't get that on Grand and can't understand why they repeated the silliness on the brand new ships.

What would decide me between the two doesn't apply to the OP. I would take Grand because SF is 3 hours from home and LA is 8 hours from home. That is thedeciding factor for me.

Now Pam... We all know that Grand is your least favorite Princess ship. :)

I would take either ship. I do like Alfredo's on Grand - a big plus for me. I have never had a decent slice of pizza on Star.

I don't really care about Skywalker's as every time I go there in the day to read I end up leaving because I freeze and, at night, I despise the "music" they play and they play it at an incredible volume.

I do prefer the cabins and closets on Star and the fact that the center staircase isn't truncated. I still don't get that on Grand and can't understand why they repeated the silliness on the brand new ships.

What would decide me between the two doesn't apply to the OP. I would take Grand because SF is 3 hours from home and LA is 8 hours from home. That is the deciding factor for me.

Exactly my sentiments. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would chose one ship over the other because of a difference of space in a closet. I've cruised both ships and enjoy them both. I've cruised the Grand three times to Hawaii and never found a lack of space in the closet. Perhaps if there were more than two people sharing a cabin but certainly not an issue for two.

As someone has already mentioned, there definitely is a representation of Hawaiian culture and they are wonderful at what they do.

Even though we have tried the clubs at night, we've never enjoyed Skywalkers or One5 and only used them for the Meet & Greets. Perhaps a good place to read a book on a cold/cloudy day if you don't have a cabin with a window or balcony.

Skywalkers creates more shade on the aft pool area. This is not a problem on the Grand. It also has more open space to sit and to enjoy the wake than the Star with its Skywalkers. It's much prefered because it is quieter than the other pools. (no kids)

But more important than any of this, San Francisco is such a beautiful city. If the time is not a factor it is so worth spending some time exploring, even if only one day. Sailing out past Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate bridge is always exciting. I've never tired of it and have cruised under her a dozen times, at least.

To be perfectly honest, if the Star cruised out of SF and the Grand went to LA, I'd be perfectly happy with the exchange. It's the beauty of the city, the cruise port convenience, and the sailaway that makes San Francisco so much better (IMO) than San Pedro. The ships are more alike than different.