Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

How nice that Jim Walker is trying to blame the cruise line for not having a man overboard detection system.

It's just a factual statement; the ship is not equipped with a man overboard detection system. No where in the article did I see that Jim Walker is blaming Carnival for the woman going overboard and in fact Jim Walker's name is not mentioned in the article at all.

How nice that Jim Walker is trying to blame the cruise line for not having a man overboard detection system.

Every incident that guy brings up the MOB system! [emoji35] I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to pay for these systems in way of an increased fare.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to pay for these systems in way of an increased fare.

Agreed.

I think it is safe to say Carnival has done a cost / benefit analysis of these systems already and has concluded that it was not worth the additional costs to add them.

Cruisers pay for all retrofits and upgrades via increased fares. Drydock additions aren't freebies.

I think it is safe to say Carnival has done a cost / benefit analysis of these systems already and has concluded that it was not worth the additional costs to add them.

Cruisers pay for all retrofits and upgrades via increased fares. Drydock additions aren't freebies.

Really? Carnival? Really?

Every incident that guy brings up the MOB system! [emoji35] I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to pay for these systems in way of an increased fare.

So, better too waste hours ($$$$) searching around the vessel, not to mention the ocean for a body?

A very "cheap" remark on your part. Also, one way or the other you ARE paying. Maybe someday it might be a loved one or friend of yours. Then, let's see how quickly you change your tune and cheap, selfish attitude. :cool:

So, better too waste hours ($$$$) searching around the vessel, not to mention the ocean for a body?

A very "cheap" remark on your part. Also, one way or the other you ARE paying. Maybe someday it might be a loved one or friend of yours. Then, let's see how quickly you change your tune and cheap, selfish attitude. :cool:

Having being affected by two suicides in one week, all this would do is make the victim find a workaround. But until they install nets around the ship, they would still obviously jump. Oh yeah, and Congress, who wants to raise the highs of the railings. Huh?

Who said these people are usually dead during impact? And survival is rare?

Edited by MCFTJCH2V

If the systems could be proven to work, and provide an actual benefit in saved lives, I'd be the first one to advocate for them.

The problem is that even if every cruise ship was outfitted with these systems, the statistical sample would be so small that it would take decades to determine if the system actually resulted in recovering more people alive than other means. And once you mandate something like this, it becomes even harder to implement anything else, if and when a better solution comes along.

I have reservations about the manufacturers' claims for the systems, as previously noted, and there are doubts about the reliability, and robustness of the systems.

I find it interesting that Walker doesn't say anything about the USCG's rulings that the automated MOB systems aren't required. Even more than the cruise lines, if he felt the systems were obligatory, why not castigate the agency that regulates this?

Having being affected by two suicides in one week, all this would do is make the victim find a workaround. But until they install nets around the ship, they would still obviously jump. Oh yeah, and Congress, who wants to raise the highs of the railings. Huh?

Who said these people are usually dead during impact? And survival is rare?

Exactly, if a person really wants to do it, they will find a way. If not jumping, they will have another way. I was affected by one and my daughter another. All the "what ifs" in the world cannot fix it. This family is probably doing a lot of "what ifs" right now.

I was on that sailing as well, and that is exactly what my mind turned to when I heard about this incident.

My prayers go out to this woman's family.

I was also onboard. What saved that guy's life is he jumped during the day and a lot of people saw him take a swan dive. Regardless, we thought the ship did a fantastic job getting him back onboard.

Just my thoughts too when I read that post you were replying to, but you put it more politely than I would have!

Edited by Arzeena

Ok. So according to those on board the ship didn't stop or turn around. They kept going. Could they have been released without turning around or even stopping?

Having been on a ship doing a full turn in the ocean, 99% of passengers were oblivious to the fact the sun had changed sides of the ship.

she warned people and they didn't lock her up so she couldn't do it :confused: or did the people she warned not tell the crew :confused:

You can't lock people up for talking about jumping overboard. Why did Princess keep selling her booze? She wasn't cruising alone, she had another man with her. How many really took her seriously? It was the booze talking, people drink and do stupid things. Passengers were really ticked off at her for ruining their vacation. We missed the first port. No one seemed to care about her, they had waited and spent money for their vacation and a stupid act ruined it. My thoughts go for the family, they're left holding the bag.

Well then, we might as well take all guns away, pills away, booze away, close all bridges, stop all trains from running, etc. Those objects all contribute to someone doing themselves in. The Golden Gate Bridge is now equipped with a netting barrier to prevent people from jumping off, but it doesn't prevent them from jumping in front of a car or train. A member of our family blew his brains out with a gun, and the other one OD'ed. Where there's a will there's a way.

/just saying

snip......" We missed our first port, people were furious about it. They never found her. No one knows what goes on in people's head or their circumstances to make them want to do themselves in. It makes it a bad day for everyone. So sad.

IMHO, How sad that a person would be furious about missing a port when someone lost their lives. Just makes me think how uncaring the human race can be.

IMHO, How sad that a person would be furious about missing a port when someone lost their lives. Just makes me think how uncaring the human race can be.

Suicide is a selfish already, now they do it on a full cruise ship. These people don't care that they are affecting 3000 peoples vacation, why do we have to care about them? Typical liberal mentality, we need to care about 1 persons feelings and not 3000 peoples, because that person chose to be selfish. I care for the women's family and friends because they have to suffer for her uncaring act.

I understand what you are saying, however, after 3,000 other passengers aboard a cruise ship have saved & invested lot of time, effort & money for many months or even a year or more for their sailing, that if one wishes to commit suicide, I certainly hope they would find another method instead of disrupting the hard earned & planned vacation of 3,000 others. During my last voyage I actually uttered the words, "I hope no one jumps overboard"... During my plane ride to the ship I said, "I hope no one acts up" in anyway that closes the airport or cancels/diverts our flight. You mentioned an uncaring human race. Suicide is just as uncaring & selfish.

JUST to play Devil's Advocate NOT my own feelings:

We are talking about a person who didn't value their own life or their own family's feelings and chose to affect the vacation of the thousands of other people on board.

People are losing their lives all the time. Not going to stop my life to morn everyone who dies. Guess I'm just heartless and have no empathy...

What a loss. Meaning liberty. With a little l. The CCL Liberty as well.

I have no elagant platitude, but all you people wanting some magical world in where everyone is safe and protected are the lifeless and uncaring. Grow up already. Cost is everywhere and in every form. Nothing is free you ignorant masses.

I would think that those of you that think that she's being selfish, have not dealt with someone with depression. It is a disease, and they can't see any other way out when they think of suicide. My son tried last year overdosing (wasn't quite 18) and trust me they are not trying to hurt their families and friends, but don't see any worth in themselves.

Thankfully my son survived and is doing fairly well. Who knows what was going on in this woman's life, but I'm fairly sure she wasn't trying to ruin anyone's vacation. Please don't judge her, when we have no clue as to what was going in her life and how much she may have been suffering.

I hope her family and friends find some closure and peace.