How do you handle tips on long cruises?

Bra_BE2014

So if the cruise is going in the other direction, to Europe, do you feel it should be based on European standard practice? :confused:

Ha! No, I would assume we are coming from U.S. And would probably think I should tip just the same!

#3. I do get better service, all I have to do is make eye contact with a server and nod yes and my drink will appear in a minute no matter how crowded it is.

Is that worth a couple of bucks to me? Abso-Freaking-lutely!

I agree!! After our 1st/2nd day on the ship, bartenders know us and make sure we never wait for a drink. That is definitely worth a few bucks.

LOL at the poster raving about getting stronger premium drinks via tipping, you're actually a cheap skate by not ordering that drink the normal way and thereby saving 2 bucks a drink? ;)

Plus there are some people that like a consistent drink. The strength of the drink should not be influenced by the amount I tip. The missus hates it when her drinks are super strong. If you like it on the heavy side, just ask. Personal experience tells me that more often than not, they will make it how you ask.

I completely feel that tipping is barbaric. IMO, the sooner we can be done with it - the better. The fact that some service "jobs" get tips while others get nothing should bother people. Pay a fair wage and all will be better!

But having said that - it's the position we're in right now, so I "play the game".

We just got back from a 30 day cruise. We changed cabins near the middle, I don't have a problem with relying on the $27 (?) per day we were paying for the DSC, but in addition, I gave each of the room attendants $20. I thought they were pleasant enough and always greeted us nicely (i.e. doing their jobs). $20 is obviously very little (just over a $1 per day in addition to the DSC), but they seemed happy to get it.

We had the UBP for the last 10 days of our cruise - I usually gave the bartender $1 for each order (in addition to the 18% already paid on the UBP). I rarely saw anybody giving them money - and the bartenders always gratefully acknowledged the extra.

Before we had the UBP, and were paying $$ for each drink - I just left "mandatory" 18% to suffice. IMO - 18% is a GOOD tip.

We made sure that those waiting on us KNEW we appreciated their service (usually with a smile and "thank you"). We also made sure that some staff were highlighted to the managers and senior officers for exceptional service.

We just got back from a 30 day cruise. We changed cabins near the middle, I don't have a problem with relying on the $27 (?) per day we were paying for the DSC, but in addition, I gave each of the room attendants $20. I thought they were pleasant enough and always greeted us nicely (i.e. doing their jobs). $20 is obviously very little (just over a $1 per day in addition to the DSC), but they seemed happy to get it.

Giving $20 was actually a nice gesture because those employees did nothing above what was expected.

Really????? You make no sense at all. Wait staff and jobs like this make very small amounts even on land. When I was a waitress I made $2 an hour I counted on MY TIPS TO HAVE A REAL SALARY. The wage I made for a 5 hour shift was $10 but with tips it was more like $100 or more so obviously you have no clue what your talking about comparing doctors to wait staff is ridiculous think before you type next time please.

Your case is unfair to someone who lives in a culture where tipping is not the norm. Where pay compensation is based on the value of the work they perform. Why is it the a waiter in a diner or a waiter in a more expensive chain don't get same amount of pay for same work. The difference is simply the amount of the check. Let alone you go to a high end Resturaunt spend 400 dollars and tip 80 dollars. The service may be somewhat better but it is not 5 times as good. Tipping is bs and employees should be paid the value of their work by employers and not by the guests. And no my job does not provide tips. I do a great job period because that's what I agreed to do period.

Why does someone in a diner make less than someone in a 5-star restaurant?

Two things:

- the person in the 5 star restaurant is most likely at the top of their craft, with years (decades) of experience. These jobs aren't handed out to anybody, they're the top rung of the server ladder.

- the person in the 5 star restaurant is tipping-out their water server, breadboy, busboy(girl), food runner, Maitre d'hotel, etc. The person in the diner tips out the busboy & dishwasher. More people have a share of the pie at the 5-star.

Stephen

Wow. Talk about TONS of misinformation.

First of all, tips are not "in addition to their salary" on a cruise ship. If they are most hotel front-of-the-house crew (stewards, dining room wait staff, bartenders and servers), it is VIRTUALLY ALL THEIR INCOME. It varies from cruise line to cruise line, but most are around $50 PER MONTH. That is for working 70 hours a week, 7 days a week, never a day off until end of contract 7 to 8 months long. Comparing their situation to a US based tip system makes no sense. Yes they get food and lodging but they are making something on the order of .25 an hour. Plus your tips.

It doesn't matter a WHIT what the "custom" is in your country. You are NOT in your country. You are on a US based (but not flagged) vessel where all the above applies. Putting it in the easiest terms possible: If you stiff the crew by not tipping because of some lame excuse, you are cheap, ignorant (meaning totally unaware) or both.

D'ya think stiffing the crew peeves me, LOL?

First of all, tips are not "in addition to their salary" on a cruise ship. If they are most hotel front-of-the-house crew (stewards, dining room wait staff, bartenders and servers), it is VIRTUALLY ALL THEIR INCOME. It varies from cruise line to cruise line, but most are around $50 PER MONTH. That is for working 70 hours a week, 7 days a week, never a day off until end of contract 7 to 8 months long. Comparing their situation to a US based tip system makes no sense. Yes they get food and lodging but they are making something on the order of .25 an hour. Plus your tips.

It doesn't matter a WHIT what the "custom" is in your country. You are NOT in your country. You are on a US based (but not flagged) vessel where all the above applies. Putting it in the easiest terms possible: If you stiff the crew by not tipping because of some lame excuse, you are cheap, ignorant (meaning totally unaware) or both.

The link below is contrary to the figures stated in your post.

http://work.chron.com/average-salary-cruise-ship-workers-1932.html

If you feel the need to call names and disparage those whose tipping habits are different that yours, please be advised that tipping is a personal choice, and you don't need to make those remarks to those who choose not to tip.

If anyone is stiffing the crew, it is the cruise line that pay millions to their executives but choose to pay the crew less than they deserve.

Edited by swedish weave

On my recent cruise on the Escape, I did tip a few people over and above the DSC.

Upon embarking, our Steward was still in the process of finishing up our room. He was very pleasant and my family and I had a quick conversation with him (didn't want to take too much of his time). We had an M6 and I knew from CC that if I asked nicely, he might possibly get us a third lounger for our balcony. I asked. He said no problem, and I thanked him and slipped him a $20. To me, it was a small price to pay to acknowledge how hard he was working and that he did something that he didn't have to do, with a smile on his face.

Given how close we were to 5 o'clock Somewhere, that was our first stop for drinks after dropping off our carry-ons. The two bartenders were extremely friendly and took an immediate interest in me and my family. Given the proximity to our cabin, I knew that this would be our go-to bar for the week, so I had no issue in slipping each of them a $20 that first afternoon. I guess I could have kept giving them $1 every time we had a drink, but this seemed easier.

Did I buy "better service" than someone who didn't tip? Yeah, I probably did, and I think I'm ok with that. I'm a middle aged dude and not a hot 21 year old blonde, so I have to play the cards I'm dealt.

That being said, over the course of the cruise, they proved themselves to be great bartenders and alot of fun to talk with - and my 12 year old daughter loved that they made her a different "special" drink every time we stopped by. I appreciated their service and how well they treated my family, so had no problem giving each of them another $20 our last night.

Did I tip other bartenders and servers? A few over the course of the cruise, but it required more than a disinterested "What do you want?" from them. For those individuals, I felt fine with the 18% that was already included in the package.

On my recent cruise on the Escape, I did tip a few people over and above the DSC.

Upon embarking, our Steward was still in the process of finishing up our room. He was very pleasant and my family and I had a quick conversation with him (didn't want to take too much of his time). We had an M6 and I knew from CC that if I asked nicely, he might possibly get us a third lounger for our balcony. I asked. He said no problem, and I thanked him and slipped him a $20. To me, it was a small price to pay to acknowledge how hard he was working and that he did something that he didn't have to do, with a smile on his face.

Given how close we were to 5 o'clock Somewhere, that was our first stop for drinks after dropping off our carry-ons. The two bartenders were extremely friendly and took an immediate interest in me and my family. Given the proximity to our cabin, I knew that this would be our go-to bar for the week, so I had no issue in slipping each of them a $20 that first afternoon. I guess I could have kept giving them $1 every time we had a drink, but this seemed easier.

Did I buy "better service" than someone who didn't tip? Yeah, I probably did, and I think I'm ok with that. I'm a middle aged dude and not a hot 21 year old blonde, so I have to play the cards I'm dealt.

That being said, over the course of the cruise, they proved themselves to be great bartenders and alot of fun to talk with - and my 12 year old daughter loved that they made her a different "special" drink every time we stopped by. I appreciated their service and how well they treated my family, so had no problem giving each of them another $20 our last night.

Did I tip other bartenders and servers? A few over the course of the cruise, but it required more than a disinterested "What do you want?" from them. For those individuals, I felt fine with the 18% that was already included in the package.

Like +10000

You speak of misinformation then promptly spew some. Tips are ABSOLUTELY in addition to their salary. They ALL get a salary. Big or small.

As far as the poor, poor crew making no money. Consider they are making a very nice living when that money is taken back to their home country and also consider they usually come back year after year. If the wages and working conditions are as bad as you want us to believe I am stunned why so many keep signing contracts to work so hard for peanuts.

At the end of the day, spend your money how you see fit and quit trying to dictate to others how to spend THEIR money.

If anyone is stiffing the crew, it is the cruise line that pay millions to their executives but choose to pay the crew less than they deserve.

Furthermore, when the executives leave employment, they get a golden parachute. However, when the crew leaves employment, I heard they have to pay for their way back home. :(

I'm not sure where you're flying from, but Aer Lingus might be worth a look. I put in Brussels to Orlando for a random date this fall and got approx 600 pounds. It's about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from Miami and buses run between the cities.

Thanks guys, I do feel more reassured now that I won't be persona non grata on the ship for not being able to tip each drink.

I will follow your advise and save my tipping budget for special occasions to reward good service. I do wish those one-way flights to the U.S wouldn't weight so much on my solo pocket but well, I'm more then greatful That I get to cruise even on a tight budget!

Happy cruising everyone!

I'm not sure where you're flying from, but Aer Lingus might be worth a look. I put in Brussels to Orlando for a random date this fall and got approx 600 pounds. It's about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from Miami and buses run between the cities.

Wow, thank you! I will check this option, I am indeed flying from Brussels!

Edited by Bra_BE2014

Really????? You make no sense at all. Wait staff and jobs like this make very small amounts even on land. When I was a waitress I made $2 an hour I counted on MY TIPS TO HAVE A REAL SALARY. The wage I made for a 5 hour shift was $10 but with tips it was more like $100 or more so obviously you have no clue what your talking about comparing doctors to wait staff is ridiculous think before you type next time please.

I can understand where you are coming from - and also from the original poster.

Here in the UK we have a national living wage - where every company has to pay it for employees over 21 (I think - but could be wrong as I earn over the amount and over the age) which is £7.20 a hour - convert that to US$ - and you get $10.42 a hour.

Because in the UK we don't normally tip unless we have good service sometimes it isn't straight forward over how much etc to tip.

Interesting read, thanks for the link!

I will bypass the whole To tip or Not to tip debate (as a former bartender/server in NYC and San Francisco, my feelings are mixed). Instead, what I would like to suggest as a no-currency yet extremely valuable "tip" - the Vacation Hero award.

The Vacation Hero program is an easy way to recognize people who went out of their way to make your vacation special. Based on the comments we provide, staff gets valuable rewards such as: extra vacation days, better contracts, promotions, etc. Nothing out of your pocket, and yet it has the potential to make the staff member's life that much better. I spent the morning of disembarkation filling out cards for the great servers/maitre d's/hostesses in the MDR on the Pearl because they went the extra (nautical) mile to make us feel super special on our cruise. My fingers were cramping big time by the end of all that writing.

The link below is contrary to the figures stated in your post.

http://work.chron.com/average-salary-cruise-ship-workers-1932.html

Some here have never worked in the service industry (restaurants, hotels, bar tenders, cruise ships, etc).

Having been a struggling student and working as a bartender, tips were indeed the majority of my income at the time. I understand that tipping in other parts of the world is unusual. But, hotel staff, cruise ship staff (who are managed out of the U.S.), restaurant wait staff, bartenders etc rely on tips for probably 90%-95% of their income.

Call it unfair. Say it's not your responsibility. Rail on why it shouldn't be that way. But, in the end, it is reality.

In all honesty, in the U.S. we tip based on our own norms. That is, if service was good, we usually tip 20% of the total bill. If it was outstanding, 30% or even more. Conversely, if service wasn't good, tips are adjusted downward from there.

I'm not asking anyone to steal for me (which was a statement I read earlier that made me shake my head). I get better service when I tip. Bartenders keep me engaged and my drinks full. Waitstaff is more attentive. Stewards are more accommodating, etc

Plus, regardless of what you think of the wages and how much a crew member makes to send to his/her own country, by western standards, we wouldn't work in such conditions, nor for the wages they make (even with tips included). Ordinarily, their opportunities are so limited in their home countries, that working a cruise ship, living in cramped quarters, working 70-80 hour weeks, with few breaks, would instill a riot in Western countries. Yet, they do their jobs gladly.

Don't tip if you don't want to. Don't admonish me for tipping regularly or generously. I get value in my tips.

Tipping is also customary and the norm for U.S. headquartered service industries (i.e. most cruise line companies).

Edited by graphicguy

Why does someone in a diner make less than someone in a 5-star restaurant?

Two things:

- the person in the 5 star restaurant is most likely at the top of their craft, with years (decades) of experience. These jobs aren't handed out to anybody, they're the top rung of the server ladder.

- the person in the 5 star restaurant is tipping-out their water server, breadboy, busboy(girl), food runner, Maitre d'hotel, etc. The person in the diner tips out the busboy & dishwasher. More people have a share of the pie at the 5-star.

Stephen

Actually that tipping out thing varies by state. I've been following local news here in Charleston and apparently it's against the law for waitstaff to share their tips. A debate going on here is whether to stop tipping and pay everyone fairly, as the restaurants are having a hard time keeping cooks because they can make more money waiting tables...

Plus, regardless of what you think of the wages and how much a crew member makes to send to his/her own country, by western standards, we wouldn't work in such conditions, nor for the wages they make (even with tips included). Ordinarily, their opportunities are so limited in their home countries, that working a cruise ship, living in cramped quarters, working 70-80 hour weeks, with few breaks, would instill a riot in Western countries. Yet, they do their jobs gladly.

Try enlisting in a military service. All those horrible things you mention are the norm on a daily basis. Not to mention these young men and women are putting their lives on the line to protect our way of life. I appreciate the ship's crew, but our military service members are my heroes.

Call it unfair.

I'm not asking anyone to steal for me (which was a statement I read earlier that made me shake my head). I get better service when I tip. Bartenders keep me engaged and my drinks full. Waitstaff is more attentive. Stewards are more accommodating, etc

If you had read my comment, you would not have mis-interpreted it.

If a bartender pours extra booze for someone because of their tips, it has to come from either the company or another patron. That means he is stealing it !!!!

Shake your head if you must, but read before you comment.

Depends on where you live. Plenty of state laws require waitstaff to make at least min wage exclusive of tips. The $2 per hour everywhere perception is a myth.

Try enlisting in a military service. All those horrible things you mention are the norm on a daily basis. Not to mention these young men and women are putting their lives on the line to protect our way of life. I appreciate the ship's crew, but our military service members are my heroes.

As are they mine, but military people enlist knowing what their pay will be. Wait staff take jobs knowing that the majority of their pay is from tips. Apple's cannot be compared to oranges beyond the fact that they are fruit.

Edited by MommaBear55