Shorts in MDR?

Redtravel

I have never understood why a full grown man or woman would be concerned with what another person is wearing? Why do you care and how did it hurt you? If a person does wear shorts should they be able to complain that you look funny? Do some people just like to complain? I do not care what anyone wears. Yes I do dress up. No, I do not care if you do. Yes I am an adult. They paid to be there. You are not forced to be there. Don't go if it bothers you.

I would only suggest to you that many people including myself expect the rules to be followed. I too in your example paid to be there and I paid to be there under some general expectations. Cruise lines do have rules and regulations that they do expect us customers to adhere to. We too have expectations that the cruise line will enforce/adhere to their policies.

We are discussing evening attire here, but there are numerous other areas that you might not be as easy going.

I see guys who do not wash after going to men's room (my personal problem), chair hogging, cutting in line, touching food and then putting back, saving multiple seats in venues, taking drinks out of venues, etc.

I can only assume that if I pay my fare, then laissez faire is the phrase of the day and you are in full agreement. If not, then it would seem to follow, that it is laissez faire till something you do not like is done or some rule not followed.

As to 'I am not forced to be there' comment, I would suggest neither are they if they do not want to adhere to the suggested attire.

You argue a slippy slope without some standards. What about unbutton shirts? No problem with hairy legs, then hairy chests would seem to be acceptable and a similar situation?!

Edited by shipshape sam

I would only suggest to you that many people including myself expect the rules to be followed. I too in your example paid to be there and I paid to be there under some general expectations. Cruise lines do have rules and regulations that they do expect us customers to adhere to. We too have expectations that the cruise line will enforce/adhere to their policies.

We are discussing evening attire here, but there are numerous other areas that you might not be as easy going.

I see guys who do not wash after going to men's room (my personal problem), chair hogging, cutting in line, touching food and then putting back, saving multiple seats in venues, taking drinks out of venues, etc.

I can only assume that if I pay my fare, then laissez faire is the phrase of the day and you are in full agreement. If not, then it would seem to follow, that it is laissez faire till something you do not like is done or some rule not followed.

As to 'I am not forced to be there' comment, I would suggest neither are they if they do not want to adhere to the suggested attire.

You argue a slippy slope without some standards. What about unbutton shirts? No problem with hairy legs, then hairy chests would seem to be acceptable and a similar situation?!

And so I ask you the same question where most people bail out at answering; do shorts actually bother you, or you just want rules to be followed? If they allowed shorts, you would not be bothered?

Just trying to understand here. Is it rule following or the actual garment?

I don't consider Seattle as a fashion trend setter.

When someone runs a business, they determine what is acceptable wear for their establishment. The cruise line has determined shorts aren't acceptable in the main dining room. They don't have to explain their reasoning, if you don't agree, go elsewhere.

Maybe YOU don't consider Seattle a fashion trend setter, but others do. There are many fine upscale dining venues in Seattle. I never said that the cruise ship had to explain their reasoning, nor do I need you to tell me to go elsewhere if I don't agree. Where I go is not your choice.:rolleyes:

What is all this 'guest' business??

When I am in someone's home, I am a guest. When I am on a cruise ship, in a restaurant, or in a hotel I am a customer.

We do not concern ourselves with what attire others wear vis a vis the guidelines. It is not our business to enforce the guidelines. It is the purview of the cruise line. They, and only they, are responsible for managing the attire guidelines. We are not a couple of busybodies so we make no attempt to do it on their behalf or to second guess them.

Edited by iancal

Seems like most posters are missing the point,it's not about wearing shorts or whatever it's about following the rules as stated by the Cruise Line ..Period

And so I ask you the same question where most people bail out at answering; do shorts actually bother you, or you just want rules to be followed? If they allowed shorts, you would not be bothered?

Shorts do not bother me. Each to their own, but I believe until the rules are changed by Celebrity, then people should adhere to the no shorts rule. It is a slippery slope. What next? Topless dining? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Shorts do not bother me. Each to their own, but I believe until the rules are changed by Celebrity, then people should adhere to the no shorts rule. It is a slippery slope. What next? Topless dining? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I appreciate your honest answer.

When Celebrity finally makes the change people can stop having so much grief over what others are doing.

I won't avoid the question. In its purest form, I have no problem with shorts at dinner IF that is the rule/norm,expectation. For me, in the MDR, it is NOT my expectation nor is it Celebrity's. If it were, you would think the 'suggested attire would NOT exclude it. AND since Celebrity has provided alternative dining options for those who want to wear shorts and not abide by the evening attire for the MDR there should be no problem.

As to the second question, yes it might bother me too! I always enjoyed packing/wearing a tux. It was fun, and there was an expectation that others would be wearing tuxes or dark suits. Then some opted for sports jackets, some for shirt and tie with no jacket and I actually had a young man at our table on Sovereign many years ago come to formal night in MDR wearing a black t-shirt. It was a nice black t-shirt, but a t-shirt. Did it bother me? Yes. Not that I was uncomfortable per se, but that it was not the same experience, same cruise expectation I paid for.

What seems to ALWAYS be the issue is someone does NOT want or NOT care for the rules or expectations of Celebrity or others, just THEMSELVES. What it seems is that if ONE out of 1,000 want something, that makes it right/okay for them to do what they want.

Personally, I think if I want to wear shorts in the evening, I would go to the buffet. If I were in Bermuda and that was the norm/expectation, I would most likely dress per the norm/expectation or seek other dining options. NOT force my view/desire.

I do like rules/expectations.

I would ask you, 'Do you sail Celebrity, pay your fare with the expectation of great service in MDR'?

What are your thoughts if they decided in MDR to eliminate uniforms and allow service providers to wear tank tops/t-shirts/shorts/etc and create a bread/salad self serve table and desert self serve buffet tables and decided to do this without notice and without any recourse on your part. If you don't like it, move on the buffet line or room service Buddy?

I can see it now, a hairy waiter reaching pass you exposing a hairy armpit over your plate as he adjusts or serves something. I like that visual!

I would bet that you too, if your expectations and cruise reality become separated, you would quit sailing at some point. You may be okay with whatever happens, others aren't and that does not make others wrong/bad or narrow minded.

Edited by shipshape sam

Seems like most posters are missing the point,it's not about wearing shorts or whatever it's about following the rules as stated by the Cruise Line ..Period

How many of the people who complain about what others wear choose to break other cruise line rules. How many times have they saved seats in the theater, which is not allowed. Have they ever been chair hogs, another no no. It seems like sometimes people who use the rules excuse only when it fits their agenda.

Rule following and the actual garment are only 2 pieces of the equation.

How about RESPECT for your fellow passengers? Just like everywhere you

eat on land, there should be some expectation of what is appropriate in

a restaurant. Granted, the 'me' generation thinks they are the exception

to everything.

Rule following and the actual garment are only 2 pieces of the equation.

How about RESPECT for your fellow passengers? Just like everywhere you

eat on land, there should be some expectation of what is appropriate in

a restaurant. Granted, the 'me' generation thinks they are the exception

to everything.

RESPECT is shown by how one behaves and communicates with others, not by what they wear. Would you prefer to sit at your table with a well dressed man in his tux, although well on his way to being drunk, talking inappropriately to your spouse and maybe even groping her under the table or with a well mannered man who was wearing the dreaded SHORTS, What about showing RESPECT for others opinions by not being so judgemental in their choice of dress or place to eat.

How many of the people who complain about what others wear choose to break other cruise line rules. How many times have they saved seats in the theater, which is not allowed. Have they ever been chair hogs, another no no. It seems like sometimes people who use the rules excuse only when it fits their agenda.

I think most people, in general, follow rules.

I for one do think some rules are stupid, but I follow them for most part. I would not suggest I have never broke or bended a rule or expectation.

What is clear is that those who seem to not like a particular rule think breaking the rule is the way to get the rule changed. I write a few letters and try to get things changed. I also call. Finally, I promote those companies that do have great customer service and work to listen to logic.

Customs have changed and evolved over many years. I started sailing in 1998 and it is much different now in many ways and still there are some things still the same.

What I guess that does bother me more is as some have mention, they decide to sail knowing the expectations for dining attire in MDR for example and then feel compelled to not follow and complain when someone calls them out on it.

Seems a little odd to me.

Kinda like no smoking policy, they smoke and then complain when caught about their treatment with being caught or of the stupidity of the policy. NEVER that they were doing something they were requested NOT to do. It is the cruise lines policy. If they want a smoking ship, sail on one or invest in one or create one.

I do believe that there are policies and practices that seem odd and not customer friendly, but the better way is to work to get them changed vs ignoring and/or breaking the policies.

Edited by shipshape sam

RESPECT is shown by how one behaves and communicates with others, not by what they wear. Would you prefer to sit at your table with a well dressed man in his tux, although well on his way to being drunk, talking inappropriately to your spouse and maybe even groping her under the table or with a well mannered man who was wearing the dreaded SHORTS, What about showing RESPECT for others opinions by not being so judgemental in their choice of dress or place to eat.

See what I mean? My OPINION of 'respect' is to go by the rules and dress appropriately for dinner and I get flamed for being 'judgemental'. Hey, if the cruise line says 'no shorts' for dinner in the MDR, then abide by their rules or go to another cruise line where you can wear whatever your heart desires. If you get turned away from the MDR in shorts, don't complain.

I have never understood why a full grown man or woman would be concerned with what another person is wearing? Why do you care and how did it hurt you? If a person does wear shorts should they be able to complain that you look funny? Do some people just like to complain? I do not care what anyone wears. Yes I do dress up. No, I do not care if you do. Yes I am an adult. They paid to be there. You are not forced to be there. Don't go if it bothers you.

[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji568]

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Why am i surprised.... I'm not. :rolleyes:

AND since Celebrity has provided alternative dining options for those who want to wear shorts and not abide by the evening attire for the MDR there should be no problem.

Let me know when they also provide the service I have paid for in those venues.

As to the second question, yes it might bother me too! I always enjoyed packing/wearing a tux. It was fun, and there was an expectation that others would be wearing tuxes or dark suits. Then some opted for sports jackets, some for shirt and tie with no jacket and I actually had a young man at our table on Sovereign many years ago come to formal night in MDR wearing a black t-shirt. It was a nice black t-shirt, but a t-shirt. Did it bother me? Yes. Not that I was uncomfortable per se, but that it was not the same experience, same cruise expectation I paid for.

What was the experience? In 25+ years of cruising I just never paid that much attention to others unless their outfit was really outlandish (to attract attention). If a guy wears shorts I don't care. If a woman wears shorts the cruise line most certainly does not care. Maybe they should end the double standard so everyone has the OPTION to have the vacation experience they want?

I would ask you, 'Do you sail Celebrity, pay your fare with the expectation of great service in MDR'?

I expect good service in all areas and they expect me to pay for those services. I'm good with that agreement.

What are your thoughts if they decided in MDR to eliminate uniforms and allow service providers to wear tank tops/t-shirts/shorts/etc and create a bread/salad self serve table and desert self serve buffet tables and decided to do this without notice and without any recourse on your part. If you don't like it, move on the buffet line or room service Buddy?

I can see it now, a hairy waiter reaching pass you exposing a hairy armpit over your plate as he adjusts or serves something. I like that visual!

What are my thoughts? My thought is it won't happen. They want money. They have to compete with their industry peers. That level of dress is unacceptable by SERVICE staff anywhere.

Why am i surprised.... I'm not. :rolleyes:

You'll have to expand on that; can't make heads or tails of what you are driving at there. Do you have anything to add to the discussion?

This thread just reminded me what I loved about my NCL cruise. I have been debating on trying Celebrity or going back to my new fav NCL. Being I do not remember any dress police and even felt comfortable walking into the Haven dining room in shorts one night. [yes, what I consider dress shorts] Freestyle really appealed to me.

I just don't get why what people wear is always a big deal on Royal and it seems on Celebrity.:(

RESPECT is shown by how one behaves and communicates with others

Right on. Look at this thread. Any man that has said they want to wear shorts at dinner has been ridiculed and chastised; not by all, but by many. We are painted as slobs who wear stupid t-shirts and don't believe in rules.

How about not all of us like vacationing in clothes that we wear to business mixers and want to just kick back and relax? Just because my "pants" end at my knees does not mean I wear t-shirts with idiotic sayings, flip flops, don't bathe, etc.

It's not practical to go on vacation with 2000-4000 others and expect them all to do as you do.

This thread just reminded me what I loved about my NCL cruise. I have been debating on trying Celebrity or going back to my new fav NCL. Being I do not remember any dress police and even felt comfortable walking into the Haven dining room in shorts one night. [yes, what I consider dress shorts] Freestyle really appealed to me.

I just don't get why what people wear is always a big deal on Royal and it seems on Celebrity.:(

My NCL cruise was great in that respect; less packing, less luggage, really enjoyed myself, was comfortable and yes, I too wore nice shorts. I think some people feign ignorance at what "nice shorts" are as if such a thing does not exist.

Celebrity eliminated Formal Night; a step in the right direction. It does not mean you can't wear formal wear; it just INCREASES options for everyone. Never a bad thing.

Our experience on Celebrity and on RCI is that it is only a big deal for the very slight minority who post on this site. On board we find people very gracious. Seldom hear comments about how people are dressed. Don't judge Celebrity cruisers by some of the comments your read on this board.

Still not enough "choices" for everyone? It seems that some seem to think that they should be the only ones with choices. The one good thing is they make it easy to tell who they are.;)

Everyone should have choices and be provided good service they pay for.