Brilliance of the seas formal nights on 12 day Europe cruise??

We are booked on Brilliance 12 night cruise in September out of Barcelona, few questions on formal nights, I am very familiar with dress code for Caribbean and in past always had a Tux, but do people dress up on cruises with many very long port days, only 3 sea days. Does any one know what nights and how many? Thinking of going just having a sports jacket on this one.

We are booked on Brilliance 12 night cruise in September out of Barcelona, few questions on formal nights, I am very familiar with dress code for Caribbean and in past always had a Tux, but do people dress up on cruises with many very long port days, only 3 sea days. Does any one know what nights and how many? Thinking of going just having a sports jacket on this one.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Ive got same question George....which 3 nights of the 12 nights in Med will be formal nights....need to make speciality restaurant rezzy's around them....anyone know yet??

Mark

Edited by txcowboy10

Thinking of going just having a sports jacket on this one.

Sounds perfect.

Some men will take or rent tuxedos, but it's definitely a small percentage. Some women wear long gowns, but again, not many. Given the weight allowance of suitcases these days, some choose not to do formal at all. On our Med cruise, we did not and it was fabulous. We ate in the Windjammer every single night, on Brilliance, and sat outside in the aft outdoor eating area. So many glorious sunsets...

Sounds perfect.

Some men will take or rent tuxedos, but it's definitely a small percentage. Some women wear long gowns, but again, not many. Given the weight allowance of suitcases these days, some choose not to do formal at all. On our Med cruise, we did not and it was fabulous. We ate in the Windjammer every single night, on Brilliance, and sat outside in the aft outdoor eating area. So many glorious sunsets...

We'll all be wearing a long dress at least once on the cruise. As it will be my Special Birthday, we're all going glam and hopefully booking a table in one of the fine diners.. No tux though, as we're all girls....

Have sailed many times in the Med. My husband has not taken a tux./dinner suit for last 4/5 years. He wears a black cord. jacket white shirt and black trousers. The formal nights are usually on sea days.

Margaret

Does Royal tweak their MDR menus for European cruises or are the normal menus.

A ship might have a different entree here and there, but the menus are basically the same.

We've sailed on that same route twice on Serenade in 2013 and 2014 on the Western of the 2 itineraries and we only had 2 formal nights. Although a 12 night cruise often has 3 formal nights these Med cruises are very port intensive and the first 4 or 5 days are very full-on. We had formal nights on day 5 (Salerno) and day 11 (sea day).

If you are on the Eastern route the port and sea days are more spread out so there may be 3 formal nights, but I would doubt it as the first one is unlikely to be before day 5, which is the first sea day.

Edited by Bobal

Thanks for asking this George, as you know we are on the same cruise we also wanted to know.

We've sailed on that same route twice on Serenade in 2013 and 2014 on the Western of the 2 itineraries and we only had 2 formal nights. Although a 12 night cruise often has 3 formal nights these Med cruises are very port intensive and the first 4 or 5 days are very full-on. We had formal nights on day 5 (Salerno) and day 11 (sea day).

If you are on the Eastern route the port and sea days are more spread out so there may be 3 formal nights, but I would doubt it as the first one is unlikely to be before day 5, which is the first sea day.

Ooops sorry miscalculated. It was day 6 and day11 (both sea days)

Have sailed many times in the Med. My husband has not taken a tux./dinner suit for last 4/5 years. He wears a black cord. jacket white shirt and black trousers. The formal nights are usually on sea days.

Margaret

So if we have 2 sea days in a row that means 2 formal nights in a row? Seems kinda weird... (Not that I've ever dressed formally - except when I was a Junior Marshall at high school graduation and was required to wear a formal white dress.)

So if we have 2 sea days in a row that means 2 formal nights in a row? Seems kinda weird... (Not that I've ever dressed formally - except when I was a Junior Marshall at high school graduation and was required to wear a formal white dress.)

No will not have formal nights 2 days in a row! Will be either day 2 or 3 and sea day later on.

Margaret

No will not have formal nights 2 days in a row! Will be either day 2 or 3 and sea day later on.

Margaret

On this particular itinerary the first formal night will most likely be day 6. It will not be day 2 or 3. This is a very port intensive cruuse and the first 4 full days of this cruise are long and full-on. They don't hold the formal night until the first sea day which is day 6

On this particular itinerary the first formal night will most likely be day 6. It will not be day 2 or 3. This is a very port intensive cruuse and the first 4 full days of this cruise are long and full-on. They don't hold the formal night until the first sea day which is day 6

Thanks! Good to know!

We are on May 26 sailing and sea days are 3 and 4

We are on May 26 sailing and sea days are 3 and 4

Ah yes, looking at that itinerary it's not like the others and has earlier sea days so your cruise probably will have a formal night on day 3.

Neverthless I was answering the OP and WrittenOnYourHeart, both of whom are on sailings whereby the first sea day is on day 6 and why I said the formal night will not be until then.

This is also based on the fact that I have done that same itinerary twice before :)

I am presuming formal nights are for particular areas of the ship? Are there spots where, if one didn't wish to go formal, they could still wear informal outfits?

Formal wear is suggested for the Main Dining Room.

• 2 weeks later...
Formal wear is suggested for the Main Dining Room.

"Suggested" being the operative word! At least 50% of people will not be dressed in actual "formal" wear but will be dressed in smart casual wear. I certainly will be!

We just returned from the May 14 Mediterranean sailing, and we had 2 formal nights - Day 6 and Day 11 - both sea days.

All other nights were listed as Casual - there were no Smart Casual days during the 12 night cruise.

Truthfully, with the very port intensive itinerary and many of us choosing to experience the local cuisine off the ship, we and quite a few people chose the Windjammer for a bite, rather than sit for a full meal.