Radiance JS 1100 or OS 1062

Hello All!

I have JS 1100 booked on the Radiance for next month. I can upgrade to an Owners Suite - 1062 - in particular and wondered if we were crazy to give up the amazing aft balcony we have - for the bigger OS cabin.

This is my for my hubby's 40th birthday, so I want him to have the best trip. We see photos of the OS, but can't see any of the balcony, and would hate to be squished out there.

We don't care so much about the lounge/drinks/etc...as we have kids and drink packages. Mainly, we want a great cabin and a nice balcony to enjoy the Alaskan surroundings.

WWYD?

A nice feature of the OS is a full size dining table inside the stateroom. If you thing you might like room service from the MDR menu one of more evenings, then the OS might be a consideration.

I haven't sailed in either cabin but have found the disadvantage to Deck 10, is the overhang, from Deck 11. For Alaska, I might prefer to stay in the aft cabin where you have the larger balcony. If you plan to have family members or friends over you would lose the mini bar so you will need to ask yourself do you need the extra space. We have been in a JS on the Radiance but Mid ship.

Upgrade for how much????

Bill

Bill-WI - $600

There certainly are other things we could do with that money - but we already have drinks and excursions covered - so this would just be a fun splurge. My main concern is giving up that large aft balcony.....and then I will have wasted the $600:(

I haven't sailed in either cabin but have found the disadvantage to Deck 10, is the overhang, from Deck 11. For Alaska, I might prefer to stay in the aft cabin where you have the larger balcony. If you plan to have family members or friends over you would lose the mini bar so you will need to ask yourself do you need the extra space. We have been in a JS on the Radiance but Mid ship.

Yes, we are traveling with friends who we would certainly have over to the cabin, as they have no balcony...We have no choice but Deck 10, so either way, we'll have above noise and all that comes with being under Deck 11.

A nice feature of the OS is a full size dining table inside the stateroom. If you thing you might like room service from the MDR menu one of more evenings, then the OS might be a consideration.

Yes! We love room service and the table would be so handy!

WE LOVE deck 10! No cabin is soundproof....and a deck 10 cabin is SOOOOOO convenient!

I don't know the price difference, but a JS doesn't get the "suite" perks.

Edited by cb at sea

A few other differences to consider:

Limited benefits with the JS v full suite benefits with the OS. OS is quite a bit larger (532 sq. ft. v 299 sq. ft.). Central location to the elevator banks with the OS v full aft with JS. Separate shower and whirlpool bath tub, double sink and bidet with the OS v standard shower/tub combination an single sink with the JS. The only other larger suite on the ship is the RS.

Depending on the upgrade cost, IMO the OS is the much better suite and for a special occasion would be my choice hands down.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

$600.00 can buy a lot of specialty dinners, excursions, or one spa visit;). I love cabin 1100 and it does have a great balcony. The OS suite will actually have a smaller balcony by sq footage.

Whenever I am lucky enough to score 1100 or 1602 (the other JS on the aft), I always make sure to mark my reservation "do not upgrade".

It is a very close call for just $600, but I would stay with 1100.

By the way...part of the extra space in an OS is because they use some of the balcony space for more space in your cabin. I sleep in my cabin, but I spend more time (when I am awake) on my balcony.

If you love a big balcony stay in 1100, but if you want to be soiled with the suite package, drop the $600 and upgrade...

BILL:)

We had 1044 & 1042 on the Radiance and never noticed any noise from above. My only complaint as I mentioned was the overhang and had to zoom out some to get past it when photographing. Loved the extra room in the JS and walk in closet, great for storing luggage.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Bill-WI - $600

There certainly are other things we could do with that money - but we already have drinks and excursions covered - so this would just be a fun splurge. My main concern is giving up that large aft balcony.....and then I will have wasted the $600:(

I'd stick with the JS for that $600. Not worth that much to me for an inside dining table.

Edited by clarea

The Radiance is a beautiful ship. We enjoyed cruising on her in a Grand Suite for our anniversary in 2012.

We booked a junior suite once on a last minute Caribbean cruise and although it was nice, we missed the perks we were used to while cruising in full suites.

I would do the upgrade in a heartbeat especially since it's for a special occasion.

Cruising is a great way to celebrate a special occasion.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Having experienced JS 1100 on the Radiance, and a midship JS on the Jewel (with the overhang), I would keep JS 1100 for the location and amazing balcony. As we know, it is a coveted stateroom that is tough to book! You could put the $600 toward a helicopter or floatplane excursion, etc. Have a great cruise! :)

Whenever I am lucky enough to score 1100 or 1602 (the other JS on the aft), I always make sure to mark my reservation "do not upgrade".

BILL:)

Thanks for the "do not upgrade" note as we have JS 1100 booked for our cruise to New Zealand next year and we are thrilled to have this cabin. Thanks for the reminder.

We did 1100 on the sister ship Serenade, and loved it. Huge balcony! One day I had a rainbow off the back, and the sunrise around the corner on the side. Inside of the room is also larger than your typical JS.

Edited by knittinggirl

Thanks for the "do not upgrade" note as we have JS 1100 booked for our cruise to New Zealand next year and we are thrilled to have this cabin. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi Kimberly,

May bump into you we're on the same New Zealand cruise.

We are currently in owner suite 1568 on jewel and it is twice the size of our JS last cruise. Definitely go for it!! The balcony has 2 loungers and a table and 2 chairs and another small table we could have 15 out there with no problem!! Go for it. Many suite benefits as well.

Hi Kimberly,

May bump into you we're on the same New Zealand cruise.

How fun. It would be great to meet you. I started a thread for our sailing in the Roll Call Section. Please come join me...I know it is early, but it is so quiet there.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello All!

I have JS 1100 booked on the Radiance for next month. I can upgrade to an Owners Suite - 1062 - in particular and wondered if we were crazy to give up the amazing aft balcony we have - for the bigger OS cabin.

This is my for my hubby's 40th birthday' date=' so I want him to have the best trip. We see photos of the OS, but can't see any of the balcony, and would hate to be squished out there.

We don't care so much about the lounge/drinks/etc...as we have kids and drink packages. Mainly, we want a great cabin and a nice balcony to enjoy the Alaskan surroundings.

WWYD?[/quote']

we have sailed 4 times in cabin 1100 biggest balcony on the ship usually first cabin sold. great views, impo i would keep this cabin. have a great trip