Sharps Container

spcl4cs_gal

I will be taking insulin with me on my cruise next month and wonder if it is necessary to complete the Passenger Health form found on the Princess website.

Regarding a sharps container should I request one prior to the cruise or will it be ok to wait to speak with my room steward about getting one?

Thanks and happy sailing! :)

Fill out the form. Request the sharps container and they will have one in the room. They don't find it a problem as my wife was very ill, had lots of meds and needles and they didn't blink an eye. They deal with it every day.

I've waited until I met my cabin steward, the first day. Within a few hours he provided me with a sharps container, bright yellow, and automatically replaced it when the first one was full. Of course the number of containers will depend on the length of the cruise and how many times a day/injections. It's really no big deal.

I will be taking insulin with me on my cruise next month and wonder if it is necessary to complete the Passenger Health form found on the Princess website.

Why do you wonder if it's necessary? If you take a medication that if stopped could or would result in death, you should not wonder if you should disclose it, you should simply do it.

Or, let me frame it differently: imagine that the ship needs to divert for a medical evacuation for you, the individual who takes insulin but did not disclose it. Now, imagine that the cruise line bills you for the fuel cost of getting the ship to a convenient spot for a medical evacuation, because you didn't disclose it.

Regarding a sharps container should I request one prior to the cruise or will it be ok to wait to speak with my room steward about getting one?

Yes

And

Yes

Speak with the steward.

It is better to request it before hand. Should be on you profile in case something happens to you when by yourself.

I am a diabetic and walk the ships alone sometime. I would hate for something to happen to me and the crew not know I am a diabetic.

Ask for what you need in advance. There may not be an endless supply available for all who did not request in advance. We always request a sharps container, distilled water for two people and extension cords for two CPAP machines.

You can be in any cabin and request a sharps container. Also, if you speak with the maitre' and let him know you are diabetic you can get crudités delivered to your table in the MDR for you to eat instead of the rolls, and a plate of steamed vegetables to augment the main course. I also got permission to bring on Diet Pepsi because I can't have aspartame

• 4 weeks later...

my (grown) daughter is T1 and she doesn't fill out the medical form. its been part of her life forever and well managed, so she doesn't even think about it.

ask the steward for the container. for those worried about no one knowing her condition--she ALWAYS wears her medic alert bracelet.

I am diabetic too (since 1958) & we do put this on our profile. The headwaiter may come over and offer a specialized menu; they will do this for anyone with allergy issues & such.