No More RC for us: Liberty Review

People aren't stealing the towels, but not bringing them back from excursions. If a towel is wet and sandy some don't feel responsible enough to lug them back to the ship. So, everyone has to be accountable. A charge of $25 per towel gets their attention.

We were on one cruise during the time when the sign out policy was suspended and another issue was people would be finished with their deck chairs and just leave their towel on it making it look like it was being used. I was very much against having to sign out towels until that cruise where it seemed like they were just being left all over the place on deck.

It helped that we had the free drink package so no real need to go to the lounges anyhow. But my problem was we did not get the paperwork from the concierge telling us about lounge hours etc. We went to the Concierge Lounge on deck 10 and I asked the concierge there about it and he said I had to go up to the Diamond lounge on deck 14 and ask about it when all he had to do was pick up the phone and call up there and he could have taken care of it for us. I went up to the Diamond lounge and I had that concierge print it off and I can't remember the question I had for him but he said I had to go see the Loyalty Ambassador Deck 5 when all he had to do was pick up the phone and call and get my question answered.I just got tired of running all over the ship when they could have handled everything by just picking up the phone. I guess I have been spoiled by the concierges like Mario Reyes that do such a great job on the other ships.

I was in a Junior Suite on the Liberty last week, and was invited to a tour of the Suite Lounge by the Future Cruise Sales Manager as a part of their upsell program. As an enticement to move up to a full suite on our next cruise, he bragged about how helpful the concierges are when you need assistance. I would be very disappointed in a concierge who made me have to run around the ship to get answers, and would probably be more assertive in insisting that the concierge make the call while I'm standing there.

That said, I'm not Diamond yet, so I can't speak from personal experience how inflexible the concierges are when pushed.

Steve

I was in a Junior Suite on the Liberty last week, and was invited to a tour of the Suite Lounge by the Future Cruise Sales Manager as a part of their upsell program. As an enticement to move up to a full suite on our next cruise, he bragged about how helpful the concierges are when you need assistance. I would be very disappointed in a concierge who made me have to run around the ship to get answers, and would probably be more assertive in insisting that the concierge make the call while I'm standing there.

That said, I'm not Diamond yet, so I can't speak from personal experience how inflexible the concierges are when pushed.

Steve

They are normally super helpful on anything we have asked for, we told him we were missing a remote for DVD player and a few minutes later he walked down to our suite and gave us one. We had them make reservations at restaurants, really like how they walk you off the ship to avoid lines. Even if something is sold out he may be able to do something. Of course some are better than others

The OP did a very good job of explaining why it is an issue:

"Pool Towels

So RC has a check out type system that we were never able to make any sense out of. We would get towels and they'd scan our card. When we returned the towel, they scanned again. This sounds simple, right?

However, our room steward sometimes took our towels and when we went to get a new one we were told we already had one. A few times 1 person in our party would take back several towels and they were told they had to bring the original cards the towels were checked out from. At the end of the week 1 person in our party said he'd just been taking towels off some cart and didn't even realize there was a towel check-out. Sheesh! I'm not sure what the purpose of this towel check out program is.

It's not like anyone is going to steal the towels. They are threadbare and small. Nobody wants these towels in their home."

For some reason people think they need to have their card swiped every time they go to the towel station. We just ask to swap our towels out for clean towels and no swipe is required. We take them back to the cabin and have never had a cabin attendant remove them.

Lost interest when the OP mentioned the height of the peep hole as a complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

LOL! I missed that the first time through. I wish they posted a picture. :D

Our last cruise was on the Liberty and it was very disappointing too. We were on the Jewel several years ago and remains our favorite cruise and we thought Royal was the best. However. However our cruise on the Liberty March 20 changed that.

Embarkation was over an hour in line. We didn't one item of luggage until 8 pm and they said they couldn't find another piece. We got it at the guest services after dinner after they said they didn't know where it was. They held it because it had a bottle of Listerine in it. Then they wanted to go through it right there in front of everyone. My wife objected to having all her effects on display to the line of people and they backed down.

We were supposed to have 2nd seating in the MDR, but when we arrived there for dinner they said we had been moved to my time dining. They wouldn't change us until after dinner when I complained at guest services while we were there for our luggage. The food was so so in the MDR either way. We did have a fantastic assistant waiter though.

We got the drink cards but one guy we always seemed to get at the coffee place was downright rude. A sales lady at the watch place was super friendly until she found u was there to pick up a watch I bought from someone else the day before.

The guys at the waverider were great and I brought them both a cash tip to thank them both.

Dembarkation was a nightmare. We waited with our group in the lounge for over an hour, then in line a couple hours and it was almost noon before we were off. It was so screwed up that only a few people got to use porters because their line was so slow they only made a couple trips inside.

We swore off the ship, but were taking our early 20s kids this July and there is much more to do while at sea. I'm still doubting myself for not booking Carnival instead. We will see if this time is any different. So far Royal has scored an A+ and a D.

Our last cruise was on the Liberty and it was very disappointing too. We were on the Jewel several years ago and remains our favorite cruise and we thought Royal was the best. However. However our cruise on the Liberty March 20 changed that.

Embarkation was over an hour in line. We didn't one item of luggage until 8 pm and they said they couldn't find another piece. We got it at the guest services after dinner after they said they didn't know where it was. They held it because it had a bottle of Listerine in it. Then they wanted to go through it right there in front of everyone. My wife objected to having all her effects on display to the line of people and they backed down.

We were supposed to have 2nd seating in the MDR, but when we arrived there for dinner they said we had been moved to my time dining. They wouldn't change us until after dinner when I complained at guest services while we were there for our luggage. The food was so so in the MDR either way. We did have a fantastic assistant waiter though.

We got the drink cards but one guy we always seemed to get at the coffee place was downright rude. A sales lady at the watch place was super friendly until she found u was there to pick up a watch I bought from someone else the day before.

The guys at the waverider were great and I brought them both a cash tip to thank them both.

Dembarkation was a nightmare. We waited with our group in the lounge for over an hour, then in line a couple hours and it was almost noon before we were off. It was so screwed up that only a few people got to use porters because their line was so slow they only made a couple trips inside.

We swore off the ship, but were taking our early 20s kids this July and there is much more to do while at sea. I'm still doubting myself for not booking Carnival instead. We will see if this time is any different. So far Royal has scored an A+ and a D.

I think a lot of what you wrote is what turns some first time cruisers into one time cruisers. If people want to stand in lines they can go to Disney. Checking in and out of a ship along with 5000 other people can be quite daunting to some.

Our past cruise on Navigator they decided to give out tickets to the ice show on the first evening. I was talking to some first timers and their complaint was they had stood in line for quite awhile to check in and now it was another line to get the tickets. And, of course, that was after dealing with the muster drill. I assured them that this was not a sign of how the entire week was going to be.

I think it was really stupid of the CD staff to give out the tickets the same night that everyone is trying to settle into life aboard the ship and they are already overtired and cranky from their travels to get to the cruise.

I think it was really stupid of the CD staff to give out the tickets the same night that everyone is trying to settle into life aboard the ship and they are already overtired and cranky from their travels to get to the cruise.

I still haven't figured this out yet. Some ships require tickets to the ice show and some don't. On our last Oasis cruise, there was no one at the door and we just walked right in. On our previous Allure we needed a reservation. On Navigator we couldn't get a ticket to save our lives but on Freedom we just walked in.

What does a citrus quarantine involve? I'm curious because I had a drink with GENEROUS lime wedges in a Texas bar the night before the cruise. So evidently land-based bars can serve limes??? (color me CONFUSED!:confused:)

Judy

I'm confused too but most quarantines just mean you can't bring produce into or out of the quarantine area. So it might have something to do with where the limes on the ship came from versus where the limes in the bar came from.

Are you saying you couldn't get mojitos just at sail away, or all cruise long?

Edited to add: Sorry posted as I came to this - didn't realize thread had long since moved on!

Edited by c-leg5

I am a diamond plus member as well. I love Royal(obviously) but I too have found increased "miscommunications". I attribute a lot of this to their increasing the number of cabins on every ship. I had been on Liberty 2 or 3 times before and just took the ship in march of this year. It was a busy week as kids were off, and the ship was oversold. I found it crowded, tons of miscommunications, and the worst part...one day of the cruise was a tender. It was a one week cruise with 3 sea days, so every one was anxious to get off. Apparently, if you don't take an excursion with Royal you wait till all the Royal excursion people get off, then they let off the non royal excursion people. Bottom line, we arrived at 7 am, no non Royal excursion person was let off the boat till 10 am and it continued till noon. We left port at 4 pm. Needless to say lots of people, myself included although I had a low "number" to get off(they give you numbers) were pretty miffed(we were standing and waiting for 2 hours). So...please keep that in mind if you book a non royal tour in a port were you are tendered from a freedom class ship. I still love Royal, am going on harmony this summer(no tenders), but not sure I would take Liberty again which is a shame because there is so much about the ship I love like the OP said(SNL is great). But the bad things added up and overshadowed. The cruise terminal in Galveston is under construction and is a mess to get out of which doesn't help either.

Edited by Cruiseswithfamilyornot

Just at sail away from Galveston. We were told that no drinks with limes could be served in Texas waters. Weird!!

Judy

Good to know as we also sail regularly from Galveston. Yes it is weird and would like to know the reason why.

We don't usually have one at sail away but enjoy plenty later in the cruise and would certainly miss them if that had been the case.

I still haven't figured this out yet. Some ships require tickets to the ice show and some don't. On our last Oasis cruise, there was no one at the door and we just walked right in. On our previous Allure we needed a reservation. On Navigator we couldn't get a ticket to save our lives but on Freedom we just walked in.

And I had read that Navigator had gone to doing it by muster stations but now it is back to tickets. And they had not advertised the times of the shows so instead of people knowing what they wanted when they got to the front of the line they would have to figure it out when they got there which really slowed things down. Then to make matters worse, there was no mention that tickets would be available in the Diamond lounge so many people who did not have to stand in this ridiculous first night line did.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Over the years we have become frequent floaters with RCCL. Although we enjoy sailing with them, we are not blind to some short comings. There are no responses to the after sailing surveys with suggestions as to how to improve and we along with other "frequent floaters" have noticed no change to the comments. Many now ignore them.

As to the daily Cruise Compass, it is the responsibility of the cruise director. They often use a "Compass" from a previous sailing as a format and we have seen wrong dates, weather, and dress suggestions as well as omissions of valuable info.

When we were first sailing with RCCL, almost all ate in the MDR and the Windjammer was almost empty. To show how this has changed, on our recent Explorer back to backs, we were told by staff that of about 3200 passengers, over 2000 ate in the Windjammer every night. Each has their own reason for avoiding the MDR.

Someone commented about the inability to hear some announcements in the cabins. Although there is a speaker and control knob in each one, unfortunately many do not work and we have been told at guest services several times that they are sorry but nothing can be done.

As to the ice shows they are spectacular. As explained to us, sometimes when a patch of ice begins to melt, it creates a slick spot sometimes resulting in a performer falling. This seems to be a normal part of their occupational hazards.

As to shore excursions, we believe it is better to book onboard where you can get the complete information and based on it make an informed decision.

Tendering has always been problematical from long lines, to ports being missed due to weather issues. We try to avoid sailings with tender ports and when their is one, we simply live with the circumstances. It is part of the cruise experience.

For many of us, the good has always been far greater than the bad. If reversed, we would go elsewhere

Last week on the Explorer of the Seas in British Columbia, they gave admission to ice shows by the guest assembly number for the muster dill. The rink was open 30 mins prior to allow those with the correct number for the day. All others would be seated 5 mins before if seating was available. I liked it this way but I understand that people with larger parties may not attend the shows together.

Edited by Collierln

Last week on the Explorer of the Seas in British Columbia, they gave admission to ice shows by the guest assembly number for the muster dill. The rink was open 30 mins prior to allow those with the correct number for the day. All others would be seated 5 mins before if seating was available. I liked it this way but I understand that people with larger parties may not attend the shows together.

You like being told which show you can go to and not having options of picking the one that more suites your schedule and preferences?

You like being told which show you can go to and not having options of picking the one that more suites your schedule and preferences?

I like knowing that I'm guaranteed a seat/ opportunity to see a show. Rather than waiting in a line and finally getting in only to have a bad seat or no seat available. A guest can still choose which show to attend, did you not read that part?

I like knowing that I'm guaranteed a seat/ opportunity to see a show. Rather than waiting in a line and finally getting in only to have a bad seat or no seat available. A guest can still choose which show to attend, did you not read that part?

Yes I read it. Then you get in 5 minutes before the show starts and what do you think your odds of getting a good seat are then? I would think somewhat less than with the ticket method that also guarantees you a seat and opportunity to see the show AND a much better chance of getting a good seat without pole obstructions since you can get in much earlier.

Yes I read it. Then you get in 5 minutes before the show starts and what do you think your odds of getting a good seat are then? I would think somewhat less than with the ticket method that also guarantees you a seat and opportunity to see the show AND a much better chance of getting a good seat without pole obstructions since you can get in much earlier.

None of the shows were crowded 3 weeks ago even the ice show could have gotten good seats when show started ( 1st time I ever saw empty seats for ice show)

So aside from what I've already written nothing TERRIBLE happened on this cruise, but enough things went wrong that we simply have no reason to cruise RC again.

We did not in any way, shape or form get our monies worth. Each day it became a joke of I-wonder-what-will-go-wrong-today?

Little things add up, you know? Dirty dishes, rude staff, having to ask several times for the same thing, lack of information... There were some good things, but they were no better than on other lines. No better than what we could've gotten on the cheaper Carnival cruise that we decided against.

Previously the only cruise we had an issue with was Celebrity. That was due to them changing our cabin when we checked in at the pier. They stated it was an upgrade, but we found the location to be quite undesirable. It was by the atrium which was VERY noisy. Because we travel with young children, they were unable to sleep so we would take them out which was met with rude stares and comments from passengers. We didn't 100% write off Celebrity, but find it ironic that now the only other cruise we've had an issue with is RC which owns Celebrity.

We've sailed on lines that cost much more than RC, but always felt you get what you pay for. Not only did we not get what we paid for, we were overcharged...

We prepaid gratuities as we almost always do when we sail.

On about day 4 we checked our bill and saw that they had added gratuities to it. I went to guest services not once, not twice but FOUR times to get this taken care of. The final time just so happned to be on Saturday where I was rudely informed that there was nothing they could do because their office in Miami was closed.

As I'm speaking with them about the gratuities I overhear people in line mocking me because, "I was removing my tips."

If those people happen to be here on CC I'll have you know, no I was not removing my tips, RC charged me TWICE for tips. I was removing their added tips.

Since returning home, I've had to call twice and write once to RC main office about these additional charges. We still have not received confirmation from the credit card company that the additional tips have been rightfully returned.

We left this cruise feeling like we'd been ripped off. In fact if they do not return the double tips, we have.

Yes, we liked Sabor, we liked SNF, we liked Adventure Ocean(even with the dining confusion). Were those couple things so much better than an NCL or Carnival cruise to justify the added cost. Not at all. Plus there were so many things that went wrong and added stress that we have not experienced on even the lower budget lines.

We have no reason to return to RC, they simply didn't sell us a good product as other lines have.

We had a similar issue with tips (sailed 5/15-5/22 out of Galveston). We prepaid the tips in mid April and then noticed on the ship we were being charged. When we went to guest services, they said they did not show we had prepaid but would remove the gratuities and they did. However, after leaving the boat I noticed they had charged us for them again.

I went to my credit card statement and could clearly see the prepayment on 4/9/16. However, just a couple days later our card was credited back the gratuities. So I guess we really hadn't paid them after all but no idea why they were credited back. We had prepaid them bc they said they were going up in their gratuity price and so now I'm not sure if I paid the old rate or the new rate (the amount they charged us included a bunch of different items and credits so not sure what is what in the $112 charge).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't get the "We ate at the Windjammer instead of the MDR" business. When we cruise we typically eat at the Windjammer when it opens, go to MDR, and then catch the Windjammer before it closes.

Then promenade trips in between.

No stops at a bar along the way :D