No More RC for us: Liberty Review

Last week on the Explorer of the Seas in British Columbia, they gave admission to ice shows by the guest assembly number for the muster dill. The rink was open 30 mins prior to allow those with the correct number for the day. All others would be seated 5 mins before if seating was available. I liked it this way but I understand that people with larger parties may not attend the shows together.

Did the same last year on Explorer in the Med, much easier process

Yes I read it. Then you get in 5 minutes before the show starts and what do you think your odds of getting a good seat are then?

I would think somewhat less than with the ticket method that also guarantees you a seat and opportunity to see the show AND a much better chance of getting a good seat without pole obstructions since you can get in much earlier.

Most annoying when you do get there early, find your seat and after the lights go down and the show starts--- in come the people wanting seats!!

Back and forth down the aisles making everyone stand up etc. as they don't like the Seats that are Left?

I still haven't figured this out yet. Some ships require tickets to the ice show and some don't. On our last Oasis cruise, there was no one at the door and we just walked right in. On our previous Allure we needed a reservation. On Navigator we couldn't get a ticket to save our lives but on Freedom we just walked in.

I don't have a good or confirmed answer for for why it's different on different ships. I've always assumed it was at the discretion of the Cruise Director or someone else on board. In the last three years I've had: 1) Pick up paper tickets at "X" location for the show you want 2) Because of your Muster Station you go to "X" show. 3) Book the show you want and they scan your Seapass at the door. 4) also seen no one at the door as early as 15 minutes before show time and walked right in

Good to know as we also sail regularly from Galveston. Yes it is weird and would like to know the reason why.

We don't usually have one at sail away but enjoy plenty later in the cruise and would certainly miss them if that had been the case.

Also speculating on this one, but my thoughts on this. Texas, has a citrus quarantine as previously mentioned. This "Citrus" quarantine is due to Citrus Canker issue. Citrus Canker is disease that effects citrus, including limes. So I'm speculating that the Limes they get for the ship come from outside the quarantine zone they can't be cut/served etc inside the quarantine. Or vise versa they are from the quarantine zone and can't be cut/served in Texas outside the quarantine.

As a separate thought about the OP's comment in regards to tips. I know he mentioned that he changed rooms and lost the OBC. I assume this was because he changed rooms that resulted in a price change. I know he said he always pre pays, but was that confirmed that they were still prepaid on the new confirmation after the room change? If the OBC was lost then it was what they consider a completely new booking, maybe the agent forgot to add them. Just a thought, I do know sometimes mistake happens and they charge the room even if they were prepaid.

Your comments are so right on. I got off the Liberty 5/22. My chicken cordon bleu was dry and very over cooked. The steamed veggies were way too salty. In 21 cruises on a variety of lines we found the food in the MDR on this cruise ranked dead last. I don't eat lamb but others who do at nearby tables said it was delicious. We thought the food in the Windjammer was ok. Chops was exceptional in both taste and service. Maybe that's the plan. Downgrade the food in the MDR so everyone pays for the optional restaurants.

Most annoying when you do get there early, find your seat and after the lights go down and the show starts--- in come the people wanting seats!!

Back and forth down the aisles making everyone stand up etc. as they don't like the Seats that are Left?

No comment has ever been more true. I get so tired of the morons that do this.

Lerin is going to be sorry she did this review. The Royal faithful are going to kill her for weeks. Mark my words on that.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Too bad, because we want all reviews, not just the glowing ones.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

Because it is their money and they have choices...

Exactly.

1.Spend it with businesses that appreciate it.

2. Vote with your money.

3. If you only have a couple vacations a year why waste them.

Can't argue with either of these.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Too bad, because we want all reviews, not just the glowing ones.

Except that's not happening, despite several people predicting it and eagerly anticipating it, so they can say, "I told you so..."

. Maybe that's the plan. Downgrade the food in the MDR so everyone pays for the optional restaurants.

Nah, not the plan at all. There is no way to feed thousands of people in a few venues only designated for a max of a hundred or so guests at a time. The downgrade in food quality seems to be a complaint across all the mass market cruise lines. its simply a cost cutting measure. Of course there are some that think the food hasnt been downgraded at all in the last 10 years. I just agree to disagree.

Edited by ryano

Except that's not happening, despite several people predicting it and eagerly anticipating it, so they can say, "I told you so..."

This has been a very civil discussion I thought. But I still cant find the reasons the OP will never sail RC again :confused: This thread kinda took a different turn as some do around here.

Edited by ryano

This has been a very civil discussion I thought. But I still cant find the reasons the OP will never sail RC again :confused: This thread kinda took a different turn as some do around here.

My take on OP reasons is:

1. The need to make a lot of trips to guest services to resolve a number of different problems. I can see how this happening on one's first cruise with a line can impact their desire to return.

2. Food in the complementary dining rooms.

I think the poster's reason was a whole lot of small things that added up, instead of just one big thing. That was our experience on our cruise on the Liberty too. I had s billing problem too. The credit card I paid for the cruise for was compromised before the cruise. I got a note in our cabin that said it was bad and I promptly went and gave them the new one. I still got a notice 3 days in a row after that including the last night. Each night I went to guest services and each time they said it was fixed. Yet I kept getting the notes.

The rude employees was the worst part. We had some that were exceptional and we raved about them on our review to RCL, but the rude ones really left a bad taste. Especially when we had to see the same coffee guy every day.

The food was surprising as it was so much better on the carnival ships we've been on. We never would have expected that.

Horrible embarkation, dembarkation, and a huge wait for the tender in Belize was too much. They do these every week, they should have it down to a science.

The OP cites a number of issues which, cumulatively, have led to the decision not to sail RC again. Unlike so many people posting reviews, however, she has composed a nicely balanced assessment of the cruise and presented the negatives in a factual, dispassionate manner instead of penning the usual strident rants. So the negatives are there, but they just don't jump out and hammer you over the head. Kudos to her for the review and her decision.

I think the poster's reason was a whole lot of small things that added up, instead of just one big thing. That was our experience on our cruise on the Liberty too. I had s billing problem too. The credit card I paid for the cruise for was compromised before the cruise. I got a note in our cabin that said it was bad and I promptly went and gave them the new one. I still got a notice 3 days in a row after that including the last night. Each night I went to guest services and each time they said it was fixed. Yet I kept getting the notes.

The rude employees was the worst part. We had some that were exceptional and we raved about them on our review to RCL, but the rude ones really left a bad taste. Especially when we had to see the same coffee guy every day.

The food was surprising as it was so much better on the carnival ships we've been on. We never would have expected that.

I have to agree. The food was definitely better on Magic than our last time on Freedom. More included options too like Guys burgers, Guys BBQ, and Blue Iguana Cantina as well all of which I really enjoyed. Prime was a lot better than Chops in both food quality and service. Sorrentos pizza is horrid. I REALLY liked Carnivals fresh made pizzas. I could go on ;)

That wont keep me from cruising Royal again though. Just waiting on Oasis prices to come down a little more. I love sailing from Port Canaveral and really want to experience an Oasis class ship one day.

Edited by ryano

Because it is their money and they have choices...

No kidding. They wouldn't give me a towel on the pool deck on Princess after 8pm. Had to save them up from early in the day. That was enough to annoy me not to sail with them again. Doesn't have to be a big thing. Lots of options.

Just at sail away from Galveston. We were told that no drinks with limes could be served in Texas waters. Weird!!

Judy

I wasn't even aware you could get a cocktail period in port in Texas. We always had to get like a bug light or something until we are far off coast and can get the hard stuff.

... I wasn't even aware you could get a cocktail period in port in Texas. We always had to get like a bug light or something until we are far off coast and can get the hard stuff.

Royal does serve drinks while in Texas, both individual and as part of beverage packages. However, while in Texas waters, they only serve a subset of their normal alcohol selection, which is that alcohol with Texas stamps.

I wasn't even aware you could get a cocktail period in port in Texas. We always had to get like a bug light or something until we are far off coast and can get the hard stuff.

Yes, you've always been able to get cocktails and beer, but the labels are limited to brands distributed and taxed in Texas. So there are spirits (hard stuff!) available for cocktails, but a limited selection of brands/labels until you're out of Texas waters. Same goes for beer and wine - only certain brands available in Texas.

I could have gotten rum on the rocks or rum and coke or whatever - just not rum made into a Mojito with lime!:eek: We've sailed from Galveston 12-13 times over the years and this was the first time we've encountered the "Lime Laws."

Judy

Royal does serve drinks while in Texas, both individual and as part of beverage packages. However, while in Texas waters, they only serve a subset of their normal alcohol selection, which is that alcohol with Texas stamps.

I *definitely* knew they only sold a small selection while in Texas waters, but I definitely did not know there were spirits among them. I'll have to pay more attention next time. Limes I can give or take.

I *definitely* knew they only sold a small selection while in Texas waters, but I definitely did not know there were spirits among them. I'll have to pay more attention next time. Limes I can give or take.

Here is a post from an RC cruise out of Galveston with regard to alcohol in port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45457488&postcount=4

I know you have all been waiting for me to weigh in on this. Wait, who the heck is this Geocacher guy? No idea. I think his posts number in the single digits. lol. Anyway, Lerin, you clearly had a sub-par cruise. I'm not going to try to minimize that fact. Where I have an issue is the blanket statement "No more RC for us." I am no cruising guru, I will be doing only my third cruise in September. However, based on my two cruises with RC and also on numerous reviews by other users, I know that is not the norm for RC. And I would bet a large sum that you could find someone from a cruise on every singe cruise line that had the stars align in such a way that this kind of accumulation of problems occurred. Would I be very disappointed if I had a cruise like that? Of course I would. Would I ever throw out a blanket "never again" based on that one cruise? Of course not. Now, if I had a history of cruises like this with RC (and being pretty new here I have no idea what your past history is with RC Lerin) or in addition to my bad cruise read story after story on a site like this claiming similar bad cruises, then maybe I could do that, but not based on one cruise. I liken this to someone saying something like "I will never eat at McDonalds because I used to work there and I know the terrible things they do there." guess what, there is someone from every fast food chain out there that will say the exact same thing. Ok, I'm done now lol. Lerin, wherever you cruise I hope your next one is amazing. </soapbox>

Firstly, Lerin thank you very much for your candid review. I read way more reviews than I probably should..I generally really enjoy reading them. I am thinking of making the cruise after my next booked on a different line and just starting to do the research.

One of the reasons I am cautious about trying a new line is fear of the unknown. Saying "I'll never do that again" over one bad cruise is DEFINITELY something I would do. My family is comfortable but by no means well off and we save and plan quite a bit to do a cruise. Would we spend the money to try another line a second time after a bad experience, when we could go with a familiar line and have better odds? Nope, not on your life. Comparing a $15 fast food meal to the investment of a cruise vacation is just..silly.

So as a new RC cruiser, Lerin I totally get where you are coming from.

This one review, of course, doesn't mean I am writing off RC as the next line I try, but had to chime in here about how the post I quoted is just ludicrous.