Someone missed the ship in Bermuda

hladygirl

Well ... again, all abroad was 2:30 and the ship set aside at 3 PM. Did they waited a little bit ? BA is really on the move, doing 14 knots - last week, 2 pax missed and managed to luckily get a "ride" on the tug/pilot boat to re-join the ship, probably a small price $$ vs. flights - 2.5 days to come & go at will and still managed to miss the sailaway time.

Did you see any tug or pilot boat taking the late pax out to catch up or was it too late already ? Pretty windy with the cam focused on the Summit, maybe that person can get a one-way ride back to NJ instead ... although, I don't believe it's permitted under maritime regs. A slim chance if s/he can catch a taxi/ferry quickly out to St. George's and find a tug/pilot to meet the BA out at sea, assuming that the Capt. would slow down or stop in the waters and allow re-boarding, conditions permitting & safe for the transfer ... big "if's"

We are sailing on the BA this Sunday and looks like ours is fully sold out now - no room for an extra pax to return a week later. Someone on our Roll Call is doing a B2B and on the Summit now, joining the BA next week - let's see if we are going to get an update. Well, one-way airfare isn't too bad to NYC, as long as they got their passport & credit card - and it's a short flight, typically into JFK.

Edited by mking8288

Well ... again, all abroad was 2:30 and the ship set aside at 3 PM. Did they waited a little bit ? BA is really on the move, doing 14 knots - last week, 2 pax missed and managed to luckily get a "ride" on the tug/pilot boat to re-join the ship, probably a small price $$ vs. flights - 2.5 days to come & go at will and still managed to miss the sailaway time.

Did you see any tug or pilot boat taking the late pax out to catch up or was it too late already ? Pretty windy with the cam focused on the Summit, maybe that person can get a one-way ride back to NJ instead ... although, I don't believe it's permitted under maritime regs. A slim chance if s/he can catch a taxi/ferry quickly out to St. George's and find a tug/pilot to meet the BA out at sea, assuming that the Capt. would slow down or stop in the waters and allow re-boarding, conditions permitting & safe for the transfer ... big "if's"

We are sailing on the BA this Sunday and looks like ours is fully sold out now - no room for an extra pax to return a week later. Someone on our Roll Call is doing a B2B and on the Summit now, joining the BA next week - let's see if we are going to get an update. Well, one-way airfare isn't too bad to NYC, as long as they got their passport & credit card - and it's a short flight, typically into JFK.

At 3 pm a group of people sauntered down the pier to the ship. At 3:10 pm what looked like a father and teen son ran down the pier and as soon as they boarded the ropes were pulled. As they were pulling away from the pier a woman holding a shopping bag came walking down the pier looking surprised to see the ship pulling out. I never saw a tug or any boat take her to the ship. Maybe she forgot to set her watch ahead an hour to Bermuda and ship time?

Thanks, 2 full days to do shopping and never once checked the watch or clock or smartphone to sync. the local time with ship time, etc. - what a memorable buying experience.

Next Friday, we will likely be on the Waterfront & watching our sailaway for any pier runners. BA is almost ready to go around St. George's now and out to sea, no tugs or pilot boats on AIS tracking - safe to assume, no transfer being done or arranged.

Meanwhile, Summit sounded her air horns 15 minutes ago & the lines are being released now, looked like all abroad and accounted for, they should be underway very shortly to follow the BA to head for NY. Wow, that webcam surely can zoom in very, very close - yes, she's moving away from the wharf already @ 10 minutes ahead of scheduled 4:30 PM sailaway time.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks, 2 full days to do shopping and never once checked the watch or clock or smartphone to sync. the local time with ship time, etc. - what a memorable buying experience.

Next Friday, we will likely be on the Waterfront & watching our sailaway for any pier runners. BA is almost ready to go around St. George's now and out to sea, no tugs or pilot boats on AIS tracking - safe to assume, no transfer being done or arranged.

Meanwhile, Summit sounded her air horns 15 minutes ago & the lines are being released now, looked like all abroad and accounted for, they should be underway very shortly to follow the BA to head for NY. Wow, that webcam surely can zoom in very, very close - yes, she's moving away from the wharf already @ 10 minutes ahead of scheduled 4:30 PM sailaway time.

Have a great time. We will be on the Dawn to Bermuda in October.

There's always a local pilot in Bermuda, so there will have to be a pilot transfer at some point (unless the pilot is handling next poc as well, which can happen)

Does anyone know why it seems to be Bermuda and Nassau in particular that people keep missing? You don't hear about runners in Juneau, for example.

Cozumel has more than its share, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Highly unlikely the pier runner with the shopping bag, as reported earlier, was confused. Probably not mistaken - it could've been :D

Very difficult to mistaken the Summit for the Breakaway or vice versa, and, the Summit was scheduled to sail at 4:30 PM (BA was 3 PM) ... all local times in Atlantic Time Zone.

Well, two lucky ones managed to get back on the BA 10 minutes past 3 PM so the Captain did waited for those them, 40 minutes later than the posted all abroad time.

Last week, it was the shoppers that missed the BA - same for the GEM in Nassau last week too, runners with shopping bags. IMHO, got very little to do with Senor Frogs ... cause, there ain't any at Port Canaveral when we're on the BA the last time, they ran like rabbits on fire with shopping bags in both hands as we're on the Waterfront watching as the ship's PA repeated their names over & over before sailing time. And, two of the same last names were called again as we're ready to leave Nassau 2 days later ... couldn't tell if they're shopping as we didn't stick around due to early dinner reservations.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the shoppers were too busy stopping at Del Sol and/or DI, etc. along the way, collecting their free & exclusive gifts for NCL pax :eek: - just a wild & random guess.

Edited by mking8288

Does anyone know why it seems to be Bermuda and Nassau in particular that people keep missing? You don't hear about runners in Juneau, for example.

Hmm, now that I think about it, my friend and I worried about missing the ship in Skagway back in 2005. It was our first cruise, and we took the train ride up and rented bikes for the ride back down, and then we still had energy left to burn because riding a bike down the mountain is not much exercise. :D So we decided to go for a short hike. And then my friend kept saying that if we kept going, surely the hiking trail would loop back into town. Only it never looped back into town. We ended up hiking about 6 miles, not 1/2 mile as originally intended. :eek:

We ended up getting back to the ship with half an hour to spare, but I remember being very, very worried for a while! And I remember heading straight to the spa for a foot massage once we got on the ship. :D

My guess. More and bigger ships doing Bermuda and the Caribbean. Thus just more chances for someone to miss.

We saw a guy miss the boat in Cozumel in 2014. We were on the Sun, and we were docked next to the Epic. I think we were leaving at 5:00 and the Epic was leaving at 6:00. My family and I were on the aft promenade deck watching the Epic's welcome back party, which was still going strong (and looked like a lot of fun). The Sun's staff had rolled up all the gear - chairs, water coolers, tents, etc - just the gangplank was left. We saw a lot of pier joggers - it wasn't so late that they were actually running yet, lol. They also didn't seem to realize how late they were until they turned the corner, and realized that the party was all Epic's and instead of a welcome back party, the Sun just had some grim-faced officers waiting at the gangplank.

About 30 minutes after we were supposed to leave, we finally started pulling out. Not a minute or two later - we weren't more than 20 - 30 yards out - we saw a guy, who was strolling along, drop his bags, drop to his knees, and look at us in utter disbelief as we pulled away. We think he saw the Epic festivities and, thinking he was okay time-wise, just kept walking at a leisurely pace. He got up and started looking around - then he started walking back, and then he turned and started walking to the Epic's staff. You could almost see the wheels spinning as he tried to figure out what to do.

Cozumel was our last stop, as it was the Epic's, though we were going back to Tamps, and they were going to Miami. I have no idea what he ended up doing, but I do wonder how he got home.

Missing the ship is always a worry of mine. Last year, my ex and I were on a cruise. I kept emphasizing to him the importance of getting back on board in time. In Key West, he was lolly gagging around, and I kept rushing him, but he was having nothing of it. I looked up and saw a gangway getting pulled into the ship, so I started running. I looked back and saw he didn't have the sense of urgency that I did. I didn't care, I kept running. I got back on the ship and after I got through security, I heard someone yell "RUN!" I looked back just in time to see my ex running on board. They pulled the gang way immediately after him. I remember he said, "You were going to leave me?!" I was like, "Yep!" It's a wonder why we're no longer together :rolleyes:

I don't believe Senor Frogs is in Juneau :D

OMG Sauer-kraut, I'm laughing so hard right now, you nailed it!!! The Senor Frogs patrons barely able to walk to the cruise ship are always some of the best people watching !! The hats are always fun and the people drunk!