Global entry

RNGALNG

"it depends" - some members are approved for renewals without an interview; others have to reinterview. The criteria aren't published, but it's believed that moving, job changes or travel to certain countries with links to terror are things that force an interview.

Funny you would mention this, as we have appointments tomorrow, and the directions say...

"Iris capture will be taken at locations which offer this service. Contact lenses MUST be removed to participate in this portion of the enrollment"

We'll find out in the morning if our site has the service or not!

:D

I'm guessing you enrolled via NEXUS; interview sites in the US don't offer the iris imaging for NEXUS Air Mode. If you fly into Canada and in fact have NEXUS, you can get an iris scan without an appointment any time after approval at any Canadian airport location and most other Canadian NEXUS sites.

I'm guessing you enrolled via NEXUS; interview sites in the US don't offer the iris imaging for NEXUS Air Mode. If you fly into Canada and in fact have NEXUS, you can get an iris scan without an appointment any time after approval at any Canadian airport location and most other Canadian NEXUS sites.

Exactly what they told us today! The officer even told us we could just wait and get the scan done on the way to the airport for our next flight out of Canada! :D

We've got a GREAT experience to report!

Applied for NEXUS on 7/22 and should have the card by 8/22!

We were able to take advantage of a special "mobile" interview site that was being set up at the Buffalo Airport for two days this month.

When we submitted our applications, we were instructed to follow-up with an email to a special "mobile" NEXUS Team address to request an interview during the special event.

This prevented us from having to schedule much further out at offices much further away!

Appointment was for 10:15.

We arrived at 10:00. Quickly interviewed and finger printed by the US team....met and spoke with the Canadian team, and we were back out to the car BEFORE our original appointment time!

By the time we got to the car, the "APPROVED" message was already in our GOES account Inbox! Expecting the physical cards in a week!

Very efficient process! If you ever see a special "mobile" unit opportunity in your area, I'd have to recommend going for it! :)

Very efficient process! If you ever see a special "mobile" unit opportunity in your area, I'd have to recommend going for it! :)

I took advantage of a Mobile event in Lincoln, NE. My issue is that when I found about it, I applied right away. Due to news reports in May about how bad the lines are, conditional approval went from getting approved in 7 days to 21 right after I applied. I didn't get my conditional approval until after the 5 day mobile event started. I barely got an appointment but thankfully I did as I am pretty far from an interview site.

I took advantage of a Mobile event in Lincoln, NE. My issue is that when I found about it, I applied right away. Due to news reports in May about how bad the lines are, conditional approval went from getting approved in 7 days to 21 right after I applied. I didn't get my conditional approval until after the 5 day mobile event started. I barely got an appointment but thankfully I did as I am pretty far from an interview site.

We almost missed our opportunity completely, as there was no advertising for it (that we heard or saw).

If it wasn't for the BUF Airport Facebook Page notification, we never would have known about the event.

Fortunately we saw it 3 days before the application deadline and got ours in right away.

During our interviews, the Officer said that this is the first one they ever did at BUF, so I guess we were lucky. There was nobody else around!

Glad you got in for yours, as it sure was convenient!

:)

We almost missed our opportunity completely, as there was no advertising for it (that we heard or saw).

If it wasn't for the BUF Airport Facebook Page notification, we never would have known about the event.

Fortunately we saw it 3 days before the application deadline and got ours in right away.

During our interviews, the Officer said that this is the first one they ever did at BUF, so I guess we were lucky. There was nobody else around!

Glad you got in for yours, as it sure was convenient!

:)

I applied before the application deadline by a day but no one expected the backlog that was going to happen and for conditional approvals to go from a week to 21 days just like that! They did say that several who applied by the deadline couldn't get an appointment and I think they are trying to schedule another one.

Yes - it definitely was convenient. Glad we both got it!

I just filled out my application two weeks ago and yesterday got approved for the interview. When I checked the schedule for the Tampa location, the earliest interview was mid September. Make sure to schedule your appointment as soon as you are notified. I'm wondering how long it will take to get the card or will I get it during the interview?

I had my interview at 8:15am on a Sunday morning at the Pittsburgh airport. The interview didn't start until around 8:25 am and at 8:36 am I already had an email that I was approved!

Edited by CruisingCathy

Had interview Sunday 8/14 and card arrived Sat. 8/20. Activated immediately. Good until 5/2022. EM

Yes I had my interview on Monday received my card today and activated it so I am good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used our new Global Entry credentials yesterday for the first time! So happy we did this! We walked right by the long line at customs, up to a GE kiosk and were out of the customs area in no time at all.

Now we can't wait for our next domestic flight so we can use the TSA PreCheck line.

The staffing/appointment availability disparities around the country are really ridiculous. I checked again today for LAX-- the first available appointment time is now on December 30! (I still have my 11/1 appointment that I made a while back.)

Has anyone done an interview at Vancouver? Our home airports are Milwaukee and O'Hare. We've gotten our preliminary approval but couldn't get into Milwaukee (actually just off site from the airport) until Halloween evening (O'Hare was mid-November). We're on a coastal cruise next month (Vancouver to LA) and was hoping to get it by then. Attempted to do a walk-in interview last week (not sure if they'll do it, was told no by someone on the phone the week before but figured it's still worth a shot) but they were closed when we got there. If I can't get in to Milwaukee before we leave, has anyone done interviews at Vancouver? If so, is it on-site at the airport? Before or after security/customs? Milwaukee rarely has much of a wait for security- I'm dreading security at LAX for the return trip

Thanks for any input

dogdoc2002

Has anyone done an interview at Vancouver? Our home airports are Milwaukee and O'Hare. We've gotten our preliminary approval but couldn't get into Milwaukee (actually just off site from the airport) until Halloween evening (O'Hare was mid-November). We're on a coastal cruise next month (Vancouver to LA) and was hoping to get it by then. Attempted to do a walk-in interview last week (not sure if they'll do it, was told no by someone on the phone the week before but figured it's still worth a shot) but they were closed when we got there. If I can't get in to Milwaukee before we leave, has anyone done interviews at Vancouver? If so, is it on-site at the airport? Before or after security/customs? Milwaukee rarely has much of a wait for security- I'm dreading security at LAX for the return trip

Thanks for any input

dogdoc2002

Can't answer all of your questions, but this has good information....

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-centers/canada

Thanks for any input

dogdoc2002

The YVR location is on level 3, US Departures area, before security, open 8am-6pm 7 days a week.

The downtown location is 1611 Main Street, super convenient for SkyTrain and Amtrak, but open for fewer hours (8-4 M-F only).

They both use the same contact number - (604) 666-4598 - so if for some reason you can't get into the GOES schedule online to look for slots you can call to ask about both simultaneously.

Edit - sorry, just noticed thinfools link was to the very page I confirmed the info above so you may already have seen it!

Edited by martincath

The YVR location is on level 3, US Departures area, before security, open 8am-6pm 7 days a week.

The downtown location is 1611 Main Street, super convenient for SkyTrain and Amtrak, but open for fewer hours (8-4 M-F only).

They both use the same contact number - (604) 666-4598 - so if for some reason you can't get into the GOES schedule online to look for slots you can call to ask about both simultaneously.

Edit - sorry, just noticed thinfools link was to the very page I confirmed the info above so you may already have seen it!

Thanks, that was exactly the info I was looking for. I had come across the link before but didn't notice the US departure part before. Was hoping I could catch it when we deplane on the way to customs. Oh well. I'm trecking back to Milwaukee at some point tomorrow to try again, worst they'll do is tell me no.

dogdoc2002

The staffing/appointment availability disparities around the country are really ridiculous. I checked again today for LAX-- the first available appointment time is now on December 30! (I still have my 11/1 appointment that I made a while back.)

John, I was checking LAX several times as well and finally decided to check San Diego and was able to get an appointment this month. For us it is about the same distance to go to San Diego versus LAX(from South Orange County), for you it would be further but maybe worth it to get your interview done.

There are two San Diego options, I chose the one not at the airport.

Doug

Global entry is for international flights but not ever airline or airport has it. TSA is domestic and again not all airport s have them. We got global entry for free via our credit card. Used it coming back from London and loved it. TSA pre check is included as part of global entry.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to report back the great experience we had with our application process.

We applied online on 8/8 and received approval on 8/14. We booked the first available interview appointments at SFO, which I believe were in March or April of 2017, but, following the great suggestions here, kept checking for cancellations. We were able to move up our appointments incrementally. A multitude of daily appointments opened up in November for some reason so we got a couple of those.

Finally, we were able to grab slots on Sept 3 a 9:15 p.m. and Sept. 4 at 1:15. Went to the interview last night at SFO and sat in very comfortable chairs in the hallway with about 10 other people. When my husband checked in, I asked if there was a possibility of them squeezing me in, and they said they would try as there were several no-shows.

My DH was called in 1/2 hr early, mentioned I was waiting, and the very kind agent called me in shortly after my husband was finished. (He didn't make me wait until the line emptied, since they were already ahead of schedule!) Had a nice conversation with him about a variety of things (he did ask me if I had ever had trouble with customs or been arrested) and told me I was approved. Both of us had our email approvals before we left the waiting area!

As an added bonus, traffic going into the City was great (maybe because of the holiday weekend), and the only downside was paying for parking. ($2 every 15 minutes)

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions here. Checking for cancellations or newly released dates really makes a difference.

Edited by ams cruiser
spelling

John, I was checking LAX several times as well and finally decided to check San Diego and was able to get an appointment this month. For us it is about the same distance to go to San Diego versus LAX(from South Orange County), for you it would be further but maybe worth it to get your interview done.

There are two San Diego options, I chose the one not at the airport.

Doug

What's the other location? I only saw SAN as an option. :confused:

What's the other location? I only saw SAN as an option. :confused:

Look for "Otay", I think it was Otay Mesa.

When we did it, could have gotten an appt for the next day, but opted to wait a week or so to fit our schedule. The agent took both of us at the same time. Don't get there too early, they were sticklers about checking in no more than 30 minutes (maybe it was 45) before the appt time.