Global entry

RNGALNG

I'm flying internationally on Thursday.....so what happens? You have pre-check on your boarding pass, and get to the front of that line and they tell you to start over in the other line?? :confused: I'm confused by what you are saying....there wouldn't be pre-check in London.

An example ... we recently flew out of Las Vegas and had TSA precheck printed on our boarding pass. There was a very short line but the other line was very long. The TSA agent that was working at the pre-check line roped it off and said it was closed. He must have seen the disappointment on my face as he asked 'Precheck?'. I said yes and he let us through but closed it immediately after us. We had packed everything away as we normally would with the pre-check but were required to remove it all upon screening. The only think we didn't have to do is take off our shoes. We were sent through the x-ray as well ... not just the metal detector. So, you can have pre-check and not reap the benefits ... although the line was much shorter.

I just filled out my application two weeks ago and yesterday got approved for the interview. When I checked the schedule for the Tampa location, the earliest interview was mid September. Make sure to schedule your appointment as soon as you are notified. I'm wondering how long it will take to get the card or will I get it during the interview?

Keep checking there will be cancelations. If you want it earlier may check Orlando. Might be worth the drive if you need it.

We have Global Entry as part of the NEXUS package we pay $50 for every 5 years. We do use it at land crossings and some airports but we have yet to use it at a cruise terminal....but looking forward to it.

Is NEXUS Canadian? We had to pay $100 for Global Entry.

Like someone mentioned - not every airport does the interviews - we had a 3 hour drive each way. Plus arrived early - so it really is an entire day that you need to plan for your interview. Doubt if people that just fly once a year will bother.

We did four international trips last year so it was worth it for us.

We used it in FLL last fall - WONDERFUL!!!!

I am wondering how many people have this access, how difficult it is to get, and if people find that it was worth whatever process was needed in order to obtain the access.

Any info greatly appreciated as I am retiring (June 17!!!) and we will be able to travel more.

Also, does this only work for international flights or does one get TSA Pre-check for U.S domestic flights?

Congrats on your retirement! I know you have been looking forward to that day :) . Would you move to Florida to be closer to all the Ports?

We are thinking about getting the Global Entry too. I must have missed it on the web site but does it expire every 10 years like a passport? Thanks in advance.

I just filled out my application two weeks ago and yesterday got approved for the interview. When I checked the schedule for the Tampa location, the earliest interview was mid September. Make sure to schedule your appointment as soon as you are notified. I'm wondering how long it will take to get the card or will I get it during the interview?

If you don't mind driving a couple of hours each way, Orlando Sanford airport was easy for us to schedule earlier this year.

Are you sure about this? Link to info below says a Global Entry Pass includes TSA Prechek -- that's why the GP is more expensive.

Am I misinterpreting the info? Sure don't want to be in the wrong line!:eek:

https://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart

All I'm saying is, if for what ever reason the "Pre Check" symbol doesn't appear on your boarding Pass you can't just show your GE card at the TSA inspection area to gain access to "Pre" your GE card won't do any good at that point if "Pre" is not on your boarding pass

Hope that helps

Srpilo

Were you notified by US mail or email that it was time to schedule an interview?

We received an email but I had been checking online daily also. When you initiate the process, you choose a login and password and can access the Global Entry website to see where you are in the process.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

I should have spent the extra $15 for Global Entry. But just have TSA pre-check...next time. My disappointment in flying frequently is the lack of TSA Pre-checked lines that are open. Examples: Honolulu doesn't open until 6 AM. In the meantime, people are lined up in a long line....just waiting. Better than the longer other line. At LAX, they close the line in the afternoon. When it works. It's great.

All I'm saying is, if for what ever reason the "Pre Check" symbol doesn't appear on your boarding Pass you can't just show your GE card at the TSA inspection area to gain access to "Pre" your GE card won't do any good at that point if "Pre" is not on your boarding pass

Hope that helps

Srpilo

I agree, the TSA folk could care less about the GE card.

I have read on a Flyer forum that if you have a Known Traveler Number and for some reason Pre-Check doesn't show on your boarding pass, airline agents at the check-in counters have the ability to add Pre-Check to your pass. That's where you would show your GE card to make your case.

'Global Entry' :confused:

"A program to ease immigration clearance into the USA for trusted passengers".

Initially aimed at US/Canadian citizens but since expanded to include those of us in 'friendly' countries. However, to register, we have to attend an interview in the US and not at our local US Embassy.

Excellent program, but - you've just got to laugh at the name 'Global Entry' :)

Edited by Corfe Mixture
minor typo

I have read on a Flyer forum that if you have a Known Traveler Number and for some reason Pre-Check doesn't show on your boarding pass, airline agents at the check-in counters have the ability to add Pre-Check to your pass. That's where you would show your GE card to make your case.

This has happened to us shortly after pre-check became tied to GE. I hadn't properly entered DW's trusted traveler info into her frequent traveler profile (or entered it when making the reservation) so pre-check wasn't annotated upon printing her boarding pass at home. I called the airline (Southwest), they added the number, and I reprinted the pass with the proper notation.

I don't know for sure, but I assume an agent at the airport can do the same.

Our friends in Sarasota faced the same situation. When we went through the interview process in West Palm Beach they had a "walk in" time posted late in the day. You might want to check if Tampa also has this or come on over to the Sunrise Side and see if the Palm Beach marina has open times for you.

I should have spent the extra $15 for Global Entry. But just have TSA pre-check...next time. My disappointment in flying frequently is the lack of TSA Pre-checked lines that are open. Examples: Honolulu doesn't open until 6 AM. In the meantime, people are lined up in a long line....just waiting. Better than the longer other line. At LAX, they close the line in the afternoon. When it works. It's great.

I just flew out of Detroit and they did something that was a new one for me. I entered through the pre check corral and was handed a laminated 8x10 card with Pre check on it in large letters. Then I was directed to the front of the regular line, didn't have to remove shoes or liquids and sailed right through.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

We live in Denver and decided to apply for Global Entry on May 13, 2016. Since I recently retired we plan on traveling more and thought this would make life easier. Hopefully it will, if we ever get it!!!

I received notification today that we are approved and needed to schedule an interview. Here's the catch....NO APPOINTMENTS were available for the 15 minute interview at Denver International Airport until November 9, 2016. :eek: We have two trips before then.

Oh well...nothing you can do but wait! I can only hope that this will help us out in the long run.

Debi

Do they take your passport for any length of time during the application/approval process? I am wondering if I need to co-ordinate this process with a planned cruise. Of course I will not schedule the interview while off at sea.

Do they take your passport for any length of time during the application/approval process? I am wondering if I need to co-ordinate this process with a planned cruise. Of course I will not schedule the interview while off at sea.

You provide your passport number, issue date, etc on the application, but you don't send it in. You do bring it with you to the interview.

DH has bugged me for a while to sign up for GE so I finally did it yesterday while taking a timed online course :D. The application was a bit intimidating (all that official stuff) but not too bad. Interview will be at JFK should be interesting to see the wait time for an appointment. For those that have gone through the interview already what was it like? TIA

We live in Denver and decided to apply for Global Entry on May 13, 2016. Since I recently retired we plan on traveling more and thought this would make life easier. Hopefully it will, if we ever get it!!!

I received notification today that we are approved and needed to schedule an interview. Here's the catch....NO APPOINTMENTS were available for the 15 minute interview at Denver International Airport until November 9, 2016. :eek: We have two trips before then.

Oh well...nothing you can do but wait! I can only hope that this will help us out in the long run.

Debi

When we first applied, we were told it was a four month wait. We kept checking the schedule, found a cancellation and had our appointment within two weeks. So keep checking until you find a cancellation and grab it.:)

When we first applied, we were told it was a four month wait. We kept checking the schedule, found a cancellation and had our appointment within two weeks. So keep checking until you find a cancellation and grab it.:)

Thanks for that advice! I will keep my eyes open.

DH has bugged me for a while to sign up for GE so I finally did it yesterday while taking a timed online course :D. The application was a bit intimidating (all that official stuff) but not too bad. Interview will be at JFK should be interesting to see the wait time for an appointment. For those that have gone through the interview already what was it like? TIA

It will be quite extensive. You can expect it to last at least half an hour. The agent will be very familiar with your application and will likely pick one single part of it to quiz you on details. He/she is looking to make sure you know what you said and that you have told the complete truth. The day my wife and I had our interviews, 2 people were rejected because they were either ignorant of the details of what they had reported in the application or they were caught in a lie. :eek: You don't need to be intimidated, but study your application and be able to provide further details, e.g., about some trip you took or what you do or did in your work. The more open and cooperative the better.;)

BTW, for those struggling with interview dates, you might consider planning a trip around the interview. We found we could interview sooner at ATL than anywhere within driving distance of Lexington, and my mother-in-law is in an assisted living facility near there. So we flew into Atlanta in time to do our interview and then went to visit her.:cool:

Our application went easily. We applied at the same time on our own laptops so we could 'cheat' and put down the same answers. . . We've only traveled in tandem. We quickly received the okay to proceed to an appointment - earliest would be in August. Having plans to fly earlier than that, my heart sunk. DH looked to see what other places had a custom office. We had signed up to get it in Cleveland but found that Sandusky had openings the next weekend. So, we took a lovely day trip there and had our appointments.

So, check online to see what other offices might be doing this as well as the closest. You just don't know. Well worth the trip. While we waited for our appointment, we talked to others who were also waiting. They had come from Pittsburg! The officer told us they were coming from all over Ohio, surrounding states, and further out as they had just opened and were getting started.

Look around!