Global entry

RNGALNG

When we went through the interview process, the agent told us, that the cards were only for land crossings between the US and Mexico and Canada. That if we were flying to keep them safe at home. When traveling by air the passport is automatically linked to the global entry information.

We drive to Canada at least once a year and the GE card has no use whatsoever. However, if you want to pay extra (and go through additional procedures) you can opt to also participate in NEXUS (being in the GE program makes it easier to get into NEXUS) which does get you into a faster lane when driving in and out of Canada. Personally, we have no need to spend extra money for Nexus since it would only save us a few minutes once or twice a year.

Hank

We drive to Canada at least once a year and the GE card has no use whatsoever. However, if you want to pay extra (and go through additional procedures) you can opt to also participate in NEXUS (being in the GE program makes it easier to get into NEXUS) which does get you into a faster lane when driving in and out of Canada. Personally, we have no need to spend extra money for Nexus since it would only save us a few minutes once or twice a year.

Hank

You may want to reconsider come renewal time Hank - NEXUS has the same basic application process as GE, the only difference is a more limited selection of offices you can do the interview in since both Canadian and US agents interview you.

Since NEXUS includes all GE and TSA Pre benefits plus faster access into Canada for arrivals by air and land, the ability to fly passport-free between major US and Canadian airports, and costs half the price (even less if you pay in CAD as it's $50 regardless of which currency you pay in), anyone who can get to a NEXUS office for the interview conveniently would both add additional benefits and save money compared to GE.

Hank

A Global Entry card can be used as a Nexus card for entering the U.S. (but not for entering Canada). It also gets use expedited security at Canadian airports when returning g to the U.S. (perhaps at all airport checkpoints but I've only tried when boarding a cross-border flight).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to reconsider come renewal time Hank - NEXUS has the same basic application process as GE, the only difference is a more limited selection of offices you can do the interview in since both Canadian and US agents interview you.

Since NEXUS includes all GE and TSA Pre benefits plus faster access into Canada for arrivals by air and land, the ability to fly passport-free between major US and Canadian airports, and costs half the price (even less if you pay in CAD as it's $50 regardless of which currency you pay in), anyone who can get to a NEXUS office for the interview conveniently would both add additional benefits and save money compared to GE.

Its good you posted this as many folks may not be aware of the advantages of NEXUS. In our case we opted for GE because our credit card covers all the costs (AMEX Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve both pay the $100). But otherwise getting NEXUS makes sense for many folks. The funny thing about GOES is that do offer an option (once you are in GOES) to also get NEXUS....

But here is a question. I just happened to look on the US Nexus site and they now talk about an additional $129.99 IVT fee IN ADDITION to the usual $50 NEXUS Fee. Not sure what this is about...of if it only applies on our side of the border.

And finally, as you mentioned, there are a limited number of NEXUS interview sites which are not very helpful for folks who live far from the Canadian border. GOES does have a lot more sites scattered all over the USA.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Well, according to the CBP website YVR does have GE kiosks:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/locations

It would make sense. All cruise passengers pass thru US customs as they board a ship in Vancouver to visit Alaskan ports. GE would be a great advantage for entering the US that way.

Grrrr, took me 10 minutes to type a post and I touched the I DON'T KNOW button and poof - gone - left the building - no longer exists :mad:.

Making it shorter - could anyone that has an appointment set up please ask a question for me. In the past I have received answers both ways so wanting to see if there is an updated answers.

I want to know: do my minor grandchildren traveling with just us (no parents) need to get GE on their own OR can they latch on to us. The rules, like anything with the government, changed or are not enforced the same.

I have no problem forcing my children to spend the money, take time off work and go to their perspective airports for the interview if they don't need to. On the other hand, if it will hasten our time at the airport/port I have no problem making the parents do it. Even for 5 minutes of my time :D. I just want to know if I need to get it done.

There have been discussions about family traveling with a GE holder. So a wife and/or kids with a husband who might have GE, for example. (I know, a sexist example...)

How far out do we need to extend this? 22nd cousins?

Edited by CruiserBruce

Lets clarify something. The only USA Port that has GOES (GE) is Port Everglades! And we do like the term "GE Lite" which is apropro to Port Everglades....since they have no Kiosks like the airports.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I want to know: do my minor grandchildren traveling with just us (no parents) need to get GE on their own OR can they latch on to us. The rules, like anything with the government, changed or are not enforced the same.

From the Frequently Asked Questions on the Global Entry website (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions):

My travel companions (children, spouse or co-travelers) are not Global Entry members; can they come through the Global Entry kiosk with me?

No, only Global Entry members can use the Global Entry kiosk.

Port Everglades, where there are no kiosks, isn't specifically addressed but you are supposed to show you GE card there and if the grandchildren don't have one, they shouldn't be allowed to go to go through the GE line.

Edited by capriccio

From the Frequently Asked Questions on the Global Entry website (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions):

My travel companions (children, spouse or co-travelers) are not Global Entry members; can they come through the Global Entry kiosk with me?

No, only Global Entry members can use the Global Entry kiosk.

Port Everglades, where there are no kiosks, isn't specifically addressed but you are supposed to show you GE card there and if the grandchildren don't have one, they shouldn't be allowed to go to go through the GE line.

Last time we went through a man asked to bring his wife into the line (she didn't have one) and they wouldn't let her through. Told them they had to wait on the regular line.

But here is a question. I just happened to look on the US Nexus site and they now talk about an additional $129.99 IVT fee IN ADDITION to the usual $50 NEXUS Fee. Not sure what this is about...of if it only applies on our side of the border.

And finally, as you mentioned, there are a limited number of NEXUS interview sites which are not very helpful for folks who live far from the Canadian border. GOES does have a lot more sites scattered all over the USA.

Hank

Where did you see the bit about the additional fee (and what is IVT?) We just submitted Nexus applications, and had to pay $50 each, no mention of other charges.

Where did you see the bit about the additional fee (and what is IVT?) We just submitted Nexus applications, and had to pay $50 each, no mention of other charges.

IVT appears to be a 3rd party service to "assist" you with the application. No need for such a service and definitely not required.

So the airport has GE, not the port. "GE lite" is a nice thing too.

YVR has kiosks that everyone uses. If you aren't NEXUS, you wait.

Canada Place had a sign for Global Entry off to one side. A very small sign that was visible after you were in the long line.

I noticed the sign, called the port lady that was standing there over. Showed her our GE cards and were brought to the side. Got the next kiosk, and agent. Boom, the 45 minute line for us went away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IVT appears to be a 3rd party service to "assist" you with the application. No need for such a service and definitely not required.

Here is a link to where I saw this fee:

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/travel/nexus-pass

And you are right...and I guess my search was hijacked by a private site masquerading as a US Government site. Should have known better :(. Have to wonder how many folks do not notice and actually pay their fee.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 1 month later...

We submitted our Nexus applications on Oct 22, and received our conditional approval yesterday (Dec 6). I looked at the schedules for interviews. First available in Seattle (3 hour drive): May 12! First available in Blaine, WA (4.5 hour drive): tomorrow! I think we are going to schedule for April though, as we will make a vacation out of it.

Just flew out of LAX on AA but the flight departed from the Bradley international terminal (AA has 4 gates ther, perhaps overflow). Anyway, there is no pre-check line at that terminal but TSA said if pre-check is on your BP you don't have to take your shoes off and you can leave your liquids in your carry on. A little nice anyway.

We submitted our Nexus applications on Oct 22, and received our conditional approval yesterday (Dec 6). I looked at the schedules for interviews. First available in Seattle (3 hour drive): May 12! First available in Blaine, WA (4.5 hour drive): tomorrow! I think we are going to schedule for April though, as we will make a vacation out of it.

Hang in there. Take the next reasonable appointment you can get. Those that said other earlier appointments will open up were wrong in our case. I checked almost every day and they finally shut down all future appointments 2 weeks after we made our appointments.

There was a walk-in next to us as we had our interviews and they told her, "Sorry. We have no idea when we'll open back up for appointments." So, many times they'll do that and you just have to drive farther. Book it while you can!

Does anyone have any idea if there are plans in the works to open a Global Entry line at the Port of Miami like they have at Fort Lauderdale?

The last voyage of the Ocean Princess (now she's Oceania's Sirena) terminated at the Port of Miami in March of this year. When we disembarked there was a separate line for GE but no kiosks.