Global entry

RNGALNG

Coral, you are correct about the renewal. Called and spoke to someone at their office for goes and they said the seldom have you come in and have another interview. We were surprised as we had visited over 75 countries

since getting the goes and some of them were questionable. Maybe our age helped.

Both of us submitted our applications on 5/20/2016 and neither of us approved yet.

Ours changed to conditional approval about 10 PM last night.

We'd listed a lot of countries. Including the countries where we stayed on the ship and didn't set foot on the island, because we didn't know if we'd still be reported to US Customs from the ship's manifest.

We applied after 5 PM on 5/20/2016.

Our interviews are in El Paso (NOT near the Airport) next week.

Austin showed the first available appointment on August 4th.

Edited by knittinggirl

Regarding the GE card, two things it's good for: 1) it can be used as a NEXUS card for entering the USA (but not for entering Canada) and 2) it can be used the same as a NEXUS card for accessing expedited security when departing a Canadian airport (at least in the US departure area which comes after you've cleared US Immigration and Customs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those watching for the email from GOES I applied for GE on May 21, 2016 got conditional approval 20 min ago. Interview at JFK 6/28 in the evening :)

We applied on the 21st as well, and I got my email about half an hour ago. Interviews at PHL are available in mid-August. :)

Renewals without interview are becoming pretty common.

The card shouldn't be required for air or cruise travel, but contracted "Clipboard Dragons" have been known to block passengers from accessing the Global Entry lanes without them, at Port Everglades and some airports, which is annoying as some longtime members have stickers instead. Unless they're wearing CBP uniforms, I don't pay them much heed.

DH & I have had PRE TSA on our latest flights from Arizona to Florida and back. <shrug> Don't know why as we did not pay anything for it, however we are grateful.

After reading 10 pages, the discussion it seems is about another way for the government to make money by having you do an application and then make you travel to them for a 15 minute appointment.

This is to get your picture (which they already have on our passport) and finger print (already on our Federal ID) and to make sure that you are whom you say you are.

To me, its just another gimmick, just like the airlines, to get you to travel faster and pay more. We probably will do this once the hubby retires in about 1 1/2 years. It just urks me to no end is all.

Right now we have a federal government ID (retired), passport and drivers license. The federal government probably knows more about me than I do!! :eek:

Sorry, just my 2 cents worth..

Also with GE you don't have to fill out the form flight attendant pass out on return flights. Those questions are asked on the GE screens after inserting your passport.

You do not have to fill out the forms even if you do not have GE if the airport you are using has the same type screens as GE has to enter the data on. This is true at least in Houston and in Atlanta.

We applied on the 21st as well, and I got my email about half an hour ago. Interviews at PHL are available in mid-August. :)

Did you check EWR for earlier appointments? Nothing like cruising the Jersey Turnpike :D

WOW! Thanks all for your recommendations to continue to check for earlier interview times! Our application was approved on May 13th and the first interview appointment available at DIA was in November. :eek: I checked again minutes ago and was able to secure interviews for my husband and I on July 1st!!! :D What a relief to get an earlier date.

They are evening appointments so I'm assuming with the onslaught of applications being filed they have extended the hours here for interviews.

Thank you all for your information about the possibility of rescheduling to an earlier date.

Yes, having Global Entry generally allows you to use the TSA pre-check lines IF you provide your Trusted Traveler number to your airline a few days prior to your flight. The simplest way to do that is to belong to the airline's frequent flyer program and have the numbers in your profile.

Theoretically, you are never guaranteed pre-check and can be randomly redirected to normal screening. However, that happens at the checkpoint, so you will be next instead of being at the back of the line.

I've found PRE only works on internal US flights, I've never seen it on my international flights.

Edited by Emperor Norton

I've found PRE only works on internal US flights, I've never seen it on my international flights.

I've had Pre-check on every international departure from the U.S. since being approved for Global Entry

Did you check EWR for earlier appointments? Nothing like cruising the Jersey Turnpike :D

We're not flying again until early September, so mid-August works for us...my fiancé, whose application was filed just a few minutes after mine, has yet to be approved...I keep checking his, and it's still pending review...didn't expect this hiccup! :confused: I was going to book my appointment and hope that they'd take us both at the same time, but I don't know if that's a smart move...I'll wait another day or so, then revisit it...

We're not flying again until early September, so mid-August works for us...my fiancé, whose application was filed just a few minutes after mine, has yet to be approved...I keep checking his, and it's still pending review...didn't expect this hiccup! :confused: I was going to book my appointment and hope that they'd take us both at the same time, but I don't know if that's a smart move...I'll wait another day or so, then revisit it...

His came in about half an hour ago...we're all set for mid-August!:D

I've had Pre-check on every international departure from the U.S. since being approved for Global Entry

Interesting, since getting it in 2012 I've only been given PRE for flights within the US or to Canada.

As to not needing the card - In Vancouver I was told it was necessary to access the GE line. I've also heard that in some sea ports they demand the card. Not sure the point of this as it should be in the passports RFID chip.

If you're cursed with flying domestic airlines, you can get Pre on international itineraries. The airline drives the availability of Pre, in part, and the foreign airlines that offer Pre are ones operating from hubs with CBP Preclearance facilities*. The exception is Aeromexico, who offers it for US departures only. It's a Faustian bargain - share expanded Secure Flight information on *all flights*, not just those to and from the US, extend Pre to your customers.

Aeromexico

Air Canada*

Alaska Airlines

Allegiant Airlines

American Airlines

Cape Air

Delta Air Lines

Etihad Airways*

Hawaiian Airlines

JetBlue Airways

Seaborne Airlines

Southwest Airlines

Sun Country

United Airlines

Virgin America

WestJet*

If you're cursed with flying domestic airlines, you can get Pre on international itineraries. The airline drives the availability of Pre, in part, and the foreign airlines that offer Pre are ones operating from hubs with CBP Preclearance facilities*. The exception is Aeromexico, who offers it for US departures only. It's a Faustian bargain - share expanded Secure Flight information on *all flights*, not just those to and from the US, extend Pre to your customers.

Aeromexico

Air Canada*

Alaska Airlines

Allegiant Airlines

American Airlines

Cape Air

Delta Air Lines

Etihad Airways*

Hawaiian Airlines

JetBlue Airways

Seaborne Airlines

Southwest Airlines

Sun Country

United Airlines

Virgin America

WestJet*

Thanks for the good info. Do you know if it applies to code share flights? For example, we booked through EZ Air and are taking Virgin Atlantic from SFO to Heathrow. The booking shows a Virgin Atlantic flight number, but there is also a Delta number. What is your guess re the availability of pre-check?

Not sure the point of this as it should be in the passports RFID chip.

Even if you've got an older passport that doesn't have RFID, GE is connected to your passport number, not the chip.

Edited by beg3yrs

I've also heard that in some sea ports they demand the card. Not sure the point of this as it should be in the passports RFID chip.

The point may be that they want to be sure you do not belong in the long line for those without GE.

Thanks for the good info. Do you know if it applies to code share flights? For example, we booked through EZ Air and are taking Virgin Atlantic from SFO to Heathrow. The booking shows a Virgin Atlantic flight number, but there is also a Delta number. What is your guess re the availability of pre-check?

Operating carrier drives. So a Virgin Atlantic codeshare flight operated by Delta would be eligible, but the Delta codeshare of the Virgin flight won't. For connecting flights, have the operating carrier enter your KTN number and reprint your boarding pass - for example, if you fly HND-SEA on ANA and then SEA-ORD on UA, you won't get Pre on the boarding passes ANA issues, but UA can load the KTN and reprint, and that should work.

My wife and I had consecutive appointments on Monday. We were taken together. We both had our known traveler numbers the next day. I was impressed.

I was just looking over the letter that they said to bring to the appointment and in the next to the last paragraph says that the known traveler number will become the membership #on the first page of the letter (also appears there too). So you had the number already just waiting for the official approval :)

Curious about the docs the ask for regarding evidence of residency did they bother with any of it? I hate when you put a whole package of stuff together and then they don't even look.

My interview was at 9:00 am this morning.

I showed up at 8:15 or so and they brought me in at 8:40.

I brought with me an energy bill, my conditional approval letter, passport and drivers license. He only wanted Passport and Drivers License. He may have wanted more if my drivers license didn't have my correct address. He did not look at the other papers I brought with me.

My interview lasted 5-7 minutes. He did tell me he was approving me at the end of the interview and gave me 3 pamphlets. I drove home and checked the status online and it did show I had been approved. 20 minutes later, I had an email saying my status had changed.

So interview done by 8:50, email at 9:23 am.

Edited by Coral

DW and I applied for Global Entry on March 18th and our letters were dated April 1st. Without driving down to the US/Mexico border, the earliest appointment we could get was today at LAX. The trip is almost 2 hours without traffic so we allowed plenty of time and as a result were at the office at 9:30 for our 10:30 and 10:45 appointments. They told us to wait outside and we were called back in 2-3 minutes and they interviewed us separately at the same time. We only needed our passport and one other ID with our address which was taken care of with our driver's license. They also asked for our letter but all they did was circle our KTN. They asked each of us if we had traveled to Canada or Mexico and then took our pictures and fingerprints. We were out of there before 9:45 and we got our e-mails just a little after 11:00.

My wife and I had consecutive appointments on Monday. We were taken together. We both had our known traveler numbers the next day. I was impressed.

This was our experience as well. But actually, you already had your known traveler number even before the interview; it's the number on your provisional approval. We received our card within a few days.