Galveston is a nightmare

kruzerci

Like many other posters here, we had such a chaotic, horrible experience at the Galveston port that we will never cruise out of there again, either. It was soooooo unorganized at the port, let alone the horrible Houston traffic. When we left, we drove to the end of the island, got on the ferry, and bypassed Houston altogether. Galveston is a cool place, but getting there is one major headache. I'm sure it can and does happen at other ports, but once was enough for us. :(

We go down there a lot during the weekends around that time and that is a bad time to get on Harborside. Better to wait until after 11:30 or get there very early. Between 10-11:30, it does get crazy on that road. We take 45/Broadway to 25th -- never any cars. Straight shot in and never an issue.

You have two very large cruise ships going out at the same time. Sometimes it is best to take the road less traveled.

When we were in Galveston in April, we got to the port about 10:15 and had no problems at all except for some reason the previous cruisers were late getting off and they told us we wouldn't be able to board until about 1:30. We were able to start boarding at a little after 12:00.

I believe the new terminal will be of great benefit to the boarding process.

We love going to Galveston because it is a small town and very easy to get around in. Since we like to drive to port, Galveston and New Orleans are about our only choices. We much prefer Galveston.

I'm so glad to hear so many folks will not return to Galveston. I can see the lines getting shorter and the rates going down. Thank you all.

I wish. Texas always commands high prices!

I fell in love with Galveston the first time I sailed from there. I love it.

have sailed out of Los Angeles, FLL, Galveston Puerto Rico and Houston... have had good and bad at all. Last trip was out of Los Angeles...embarkation was a disaster, longest lines ever, no porters, then disembark was a breeze and quickest ever. Things happen everywhere. We have had a mess in FLL, chaos. It is part of travel. I hopefully would not limit my cruise itineraries or choices based on a bad port experience. Usually the cruise lines do not control the port or it's workers. Glad you are on board and now can relax and enjoy your trip.

We have a cruise planned for July 2, 2017 with friends, our first out of Galveston and right not we will probably shuttle down from Houston. When is the new Terminal suppose to open.

June 2016

have sailed out of Los Angeles, FLL, Galveston Puerto Rico and Houston... have had good and bad at all. Last trip was out of Los Angeles...embarkation was a disaster, longest lines ever, no porters, then disembark was a breeze and quickest ever. Things happen everywhere. We have had a mess in FLL, chaos. It is part of travel. I hopefully would not limit my cruise itineraries or choices based on a bad port experience. Usually the cruise lines do not control the port or it's workers. Glad you are on board and now can relax and enjoy your trip.

Agreed! BTW - when you say Los Angeles do you mean Long Beach? That is the worst embarkation IMO - long lines in the hot sun, not moving. It still wouldn't hinder me from going - it's just something we have to go through to get to the fun.

Agreed! BTW - when you say Los Angeles do you mean Long Beach? That is the worst embarkation IMO - long lines in the hot sun, not moving. It still wouldn't hinder me from going - it's just something we have to go through to get to the fun.

the most recent one was San Pedro...embark was awful. Still I would go back just with low expectations of the process, and maybe I would be pleasantly surprised.

Galveston is so bad that I have only sailed out of there about 25 times.

So, Gary, If you don't want to wait in Galveston.. do you get there real early or at noon?? My party is very excited!

thanks for the input!

The good news is that disembarkation was a breeze.

Lots of talk about Galveston throughout the cruise. A lot of people said that Carnival has Galveston departures down to a science and Royal Caribbean hasn't quite figured it out, partly due to the delayed terminal expansion.

I can totally see doing a Galveston cruise if it were within driving distance. And I might be defensive too if it was my home port.

However, it's just not nearly as practical to those of us who are flying anyways and the roads/parking situation down by the terminals in Galveston is not convenient.

There is nothing comparable to Port Everglaves being five minutes from the airport!

So, Gary, If you don't want to wait in Galveston.. do you get there real early or at noon?? My party is very excited!

thanks for the input!

We usually get there around 11 to 11:30, but we have been diamond plus for a while and are starting to stay in more sites, which lets us bypass some lines.

Sorry I couldn't help anymore than that.

We drive down the day before, stay at the Harbor House Hotel there at Pier 21.

How did you manage a one night reservation? Each time I have tried to make an reservation for one night prior to a cruise, I've been told there is a 2 night minimum. :confused:

How did you manage a one night reservation? Each time I have tried to make an reservation for one night prior to a cruise, I've been told there is a 2 night minimum. :confused:

Keep calling and call all

Have stayed at HH several times pre and post remodel

Looking at his sig

He cruised on the Triumph last

If it was a Thursday/ Monday departure that is normal

When sailing on the weekend alot more difficult and usually 2 night min

Also depends on what is going on that wknd in Galveston

Your sailing in mid Dec is that Dickens faire time?

Have stayed at HH several times pre and post remodel

Looking at his sig

He cruised on the Triumph last

If it was a Thursday/ Monday departure that is normal

When sailing on the weekend alot more difficult and usually 2 night min

Also depends on what is going on that wknd in Galveston

Your sailing in mid Dec is that Dickens faire time?

Dickens is always first weekend . It will not impact them.

• 2 weeks later...
Dickens is always first weekend . It will not impact them.

Thanks Lee

didn't for sure

ONe of these years we will get down there to experience it:o

• 3 weeks later...
I'm so glad to hear so many folks will not return to Galveston. I can see the lines getting shorter and the rates going down. Thank you all.

Agreed! We've only sailed from Galveston 31 times, experienced traffic a few and times. If you arrive at virtually any cruise port (and we've been to 8 of them) between 11 am and 1pm it's crowded.

Galveston is so bad Disney is coming back and Royal is adding a second ship. Keeping score? That's six ships.

If you arrive at the peak times stay on Broadway, go down past 21st and come back Harborside the other direction. Works every time.

Edited by BallFour4

Agreed! We've only sailed from Galveston 31 times, experienced traffic a few and times. If you arrive at virtually any cruise port (and we've been to 8 of them) between 11 am and 1pm it's crowded.

Galveston is so bad Disney is coming back and Royal is adding a second ship. Keeping score? That's six ships.

If you arrive at the peak times stay on Broadway, go down past 21st and come back Harborside the other direction. Works every time.

Incidentally Princess has wanted back in Galveston also!

Edited by ssb