Galveston is a nightmare

kruzerci

This is not a way to start a vacation. We are trying to board Liberty. Traffic is backed up for miles down Harborside Dr due to poor traffic directing. We have friends in the traffic who have been trying to drop off luggage for over an hour and a half.

We got to the terminal at 10:45 and have not made it to check in yet. Boarding started at 11:15 but this is one bottle neck after another. Priority Suite check in is almost no help.

Heads up to anybody leaving from Galveston soon or is considering it. The drive from Houston wasn't bad at all, but the entire port situation here is brutal.

Must be something unusual going on, as it's not usually that bad. We didn't have any trouble at all, when we went at the end of March. That was spring break season, so I wouldn't expect it to be that much different from now, which is start of summer break season.

Everybody at the port seemed to say that it is always more of a hassle than the Florida ports, but that today was worse than usual. It took well over two hours for us to board with priority boarding.

I think this will be our first and last trip from Galveston. Other than the port experience, all is good onboard. Ready for a great week!

I never arrive in Galveston till noon, lets the previous cruiser traffic out. Next time take 45/Broadway and turn left to 21st street. This will take you right to the port and avoid harborside.

21st st? Don't you mean 25th St?

I agree, Galveston is terrible for Royal Caribbean. Carnival handles their Embark/Debark much better in Galveston. When we sailed the Liberty on May 1st, traffic wasn't the problem but the process inside and outside the terminal was very unorganized. The staff were giving different directions and people were confused.

Yes 22nd is the street that takes you straight in but it can backup at that light also. The police directing traffic seems to ignore the cars on 22nd so I would go one street over and come in the backside on Harborside. 22nd is the direct street in.

Sorry for your trouble. That time frame is unusual. Many years ago it was terrible boarding in Galveston. However, for the past 3-4 years it has gone well for us, and we have cruised from there many times. Carolyn has described the problem as the machines to check in. That could happen at any port. Just for those reading and planning to drive from Houston; do NOT go down Harborside Dr. toward the terminals. As posted above, continue on HWY45 as it becomes Broadway to either 22 St. or 21 st. I would take 21, then turn left on Harborside one block to right turn into the terminals. This is the back way in and avoids a lot of hassle.

This is not a way to start a vacation. We are trying to board Liberty. Traffic is backed up for miles down Harborside Dr due to poor traffic directing. We have friends in the traffic who have been trying to drop off luggage for over an hour and a half.

We got to the terminal at 10:45 and have not made it to check in yet. Boarding started at 11:15 but this is one bottle neck after another. Priority Suite check in is almost no help.

Heads up to anybody leaving from Galveston soon or is considering it. The drive from Houston wasn't bad at all, but the entire port situation here is brutal.

I gotta say there has to be something behind it today. we came down during Dickens on the Strand to board and even with the reroute of traffic it only added about ten minutes to the drive.

We are just glad to be on and settled at this point. We have definitely gotten spoiled with the Oasis/Allure terminal in Ft Lauderdale and Port Canaveral, they both have it down to a science.

Just wanted to give a heads up for those anticipating their sailings. Be prepared for chaos and hope for the best. It seems like they just aren't equipped/prepared for a ship like Liberty.

The ship is just as beautiful as I remember it was when she was new. It was fun to see downtown Galveston. But once on Royal Caribbean here is enough!

Cruised out of Galveston twice already. No real problem to speak of. One was a large group coming in separate vehicles. The only wait we had was customs clearing the ship for cruisers to board. That's not a RCI problem. Like most avid cruisers you have to roll with changes and remain fluid.

Galveston was the worst port.

Complete chaos when disembarking.

My luggage wasn't together.

I saw that chaos and got a porter immediately.

Embarkation wasn't much better.

But this was in May of 2014, I'm sure it is better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know....

We are at Park N Cruise. If planning to just walk with our luggage to the terminal after walking:

1. Will it work to take Broadway to 25th straight up to the Park N Cruise?

2. Where is the best crosswalk to get across to the terminal? I remember getting across traffic was a challenge.

3. What time would you suggest arriving? We would rather be early since we are driving down that morning.

Thanks!

Does anyone know....

We are at Park N Cruise. If planning to just walk with our luggage to the terminal after walking:

1. Will it work to take Broadway to 25th straight up to the Park N Cruise?

2. Where is the best crosswalk to get across to the terminal? I remember getting across traffic was a challenge.

3. What time would you suggest arriving? We would rather be early since we are driving down that morning.

Thanks!

1. Not sure since I always come in from Harborside

2. There's a crosswalk right there on the corner of Harborside and 25th. Last time I parked there they had a Sheriff's Deputy doing traffic control to help people cross.

3. Earliest I've arrived was 1030 and had no problem getting in and parked right away.

CIRCUMSTANTIALLY major thunderstorms with massive lighting moved thru Galveston yesterday Sunday, mid to late morning , and Mother Nature caused power outages , flooding , and slow downs of services at the port.

We can tell you horror stories from Florida and other parts of the world also.

We had power outages and flooding at our home , and traffic lights were out all over town during the day.

IMPORTANT

cruisers on days with two ships in port do NOT use cruise ship exit to Harborside from Freeway.

CONTINUE on Freeway straight into town on Broadway and turn left on 19th to 22nd back over to Harborside and enter from east rather than from west into Port with NO TRAFFIC.

( this has been posted many times on this forums or your help and benefit) :)

Edited by ssb

We just got off Liberty yesterday. Fastest boarding/disembark ever for us, including various Florida ports. We had our son and daughter in law with us to pick up and drop off at Hobby. Terrible rain on embark weekend to pick them upwith a ground stop and devert to DFW for several hours, then on to Hobby. On debark day, terrible rain again. We had a 8:30 depart time , had a short delay for the hordes of self-debarkers. Once they called our number (5) we walked right off. Great porter, bags right where they were supposed to be. Very short line (2 in front of us) for customs, friendly guy. Then we hit the outside -- again terrible rain and wind. Waited in shuttle tent for an hour getting soaked due to driving rain coming at us sideways.

This was an eye-opener for our son with tough Texas weather.

Altogether, a great cruise. With planning, Galveston is no more problematic as other ports. The driving directions above should help some. Next time, we will debark at 8:30 and take a taxi to our hotel where our car is parked and not wait for the hotel shuttle. They are not going to come pick up passengers until they have a full load from the hotel.

By the way, we have had problems with the "dingers " at other ports/ships. This can happen anywhere and anytime.

Happy sailings.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app