Harmony of the Seas Emissions

Hello everyone,

I was just on Instagram and started looking at some recent Harmony of the Seas photos. I noticed a few of the #nofilter photos showed yellow/green emissions from Harmony's stacks. I know that the stacks themselves are wider to accommodate scrubbers, but can any environmental experts or insiders explain why the emissions look more harmful (yellow/green vs. gray) than on other ships? I've included a few photos below as examples.

8d5a01911a7d2f3f5cc4e5a7d232a598.jpg

9dd1f0de215af3eb21278d4305be029f.jpg

20458cb11fd90cbfa5b461adbaf60346.jpg

Thank you,

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

I was just on Instagram and started looking at some recent Harmony of the Seas photos. I noticed a few of the #nofilter photos showed yellow/green emissions from Harmony's stacks. I know that the stacks themselves are wider to accommodate scrubbers, but can any environmental experts or insiders explain why the emissions look more harmful (yellow/green vs. gray) than on other ships? I've included a few photos below as examples.

8d5a01911a7d2f3f5cc4e5a7d232a598.jpg

9dd1f0de215af3eb21278d4305be029f.jpg

20458cb11fd90cbfa5b461adbaf60346.jpg

Thank you,

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ships usually run on a higher level of sulphur diesel. That being said I agree that it may just be the engines being broken in or perhaps a bit of optical illusion from the sun.

Ships like this consume massive amounts of fuel, proportionately though for the amount of passengers it's not horrible per say. But as much as I love cruising, it definitely isn't the most environmentally friendly adventure out there.

The first picture in particular looks out of the ordinary. I think with all the eyes on this thing and everything that has gone into every aspect of the design and the scrubbers that we aren't discovering an issue. I think that it may have to do with being new, could be that is the way it is. I am sure there are people with more knowledge than I that may know how the scrubbers work. I believe that those stacks serve more than just the propulsion generators.

Maybe its coming from the kitchen cooking up those god awful scrambled eggs. That would explain a lot.

I'd be willing to bet those photos have been tweaked. Even if they don't have filters on them, the person who took them could still have played around with the structure, sharpness, color, highlights, etc. In particular, messing with the saturation could turn the smoke a darker color than it actually is. I'm no expert, of course, and maybe it really is that yellow, but to my untrained eye, it looks like some of the Insta "tools" were used.

I'd be willing to bet those photos have been tweaked. Even if they don't have filters on them, the person who took them could still have played around with the structure, sharpness, color, highlights, etc. In particular, messing with the saturation could turn the smoke a darker color than it actually is. I'm no expert, of course, and maybe it really is that yellow, but to my untrained eye, it looks like some of the Insta "tools" were used.

The color saturation seems tweaked to me too. Probably an HDR effect that most smartphones have these days..

New Pope?:eek:

Or that.:D

You know, I thought the same thing, but the vast majority of photos (clearly taken at the same time/place) looked similarly! You very well could be right, but it's the first time I saw this phenomenon and figured I should inquire if there was another explanation.

Edited by DJan07

Harmony does have scrubbers (according to the latest international environmental laws). Those scrubber do "filter" the sulphur but they do not "filter" the sooth or anything else.

Anyway it needs some time until those devices do work properly (they have to do tests and make adjustments). Parts of this is done during the sea trials but the rest has to be done during a regular cruise (more energy needed when you have passengers onboard).

steamboats

While I agree that the photos look like they could have been tweaked with a filter, Harmony emissions was a definitely "story" on the interwebz this weekend. I've only skimmed the article, but there are several more out there like it.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/21/the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-and-its-supersized-pollution-problem

It's actually normally yellow. Walk around the ship on clear day, and you can see the plume trailing the ship, and it's nice and yellow.

What you see is NO2- Nitrogen Dioxide, a byproduct of combustion. Every diesel makes it, as it's when NO (typical of high temp combustion) mixes with O2. Both of which are in abundance in a diesel exhaust.

Not many RCI ships have the scrubbers running, yet.

I think what is going on here is that relative to the ship, there is no wind. So the exhaust is gathering in a close space- and the NO is in a higher concentration in that area.

IMHO, this is a place where the "save the waves" program should have been doing something for years. But that's just me.