Platinum dining certificate

We had two platinum certificates and ordered extra appetizers and paid the very small additional charge last week.

Here's the restrictions. ..

Thank you for posting a copy of the certificate. We'll be on our first cruise at Platinum level in the winter, so I hadn't seen this before, and I don't recall anyone mentioning an added gratuity for the "free" dinner. We are generous tippers, so this question is just to get the info: how much is the gratuity/what is it based on?

Thanks.

Thank you for posting a copy of the certificate. We'll be on our first cruise at Platinum level in the winter, so I hadn't seen this before, and I don't recall anyone mentioning an added gratuity for the "free" dinner. We are generous tippers, so this question is just to get the info: how much is the gratuity/what is it based on?

Thanks.

I've never heard of NCL adding a gratuity either, but I'll leave what I usually do in the specialty restaurants, $5 per person.

I took the extra charge folks are talking about to be the charge for extra appetizers over and above what they can get with the certificate.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Going on the Gem for 10 days in January. Have a 4 meal plan as part of the offer, have Platinum meals (one each for us) which takes us to 6 nights covered. Not really worked up over a possible $2.99 charge for an additional item. La Cucina and Le Bistro from our Breakaway cruise a few weeks ago provided more than enough. A dinner late night by the pool, the buffet prior to a show, MDR just because. I love the passion from all but there has to be something else to get all worked up over rather than this.

No restrictions on apps or desserts or the upcharge items with the dining package. You just have to keep in mind whether you are using the certificate or the package. We had no issue paying the charge for the soup - they use the lowest cost item. The waiters do keep track of whether you are using a platinum certificate or the dining package and will let you know if there are any additional charges when you order.

Thanks for the replies folks. It seems NCL has settled (at least for now) on letting you dine in Le Bistro or La Cucina. I am now going to say something to shock most of you, at least they give us a choice when they really don't have to. The choices in the past were better, but NCL could have changed it to Le Bistro only, and still might in the future. Enjoy it while you can.

Thanks.

Regardless of what the certificate says, no gratuity is added to your bill or onboard account for the platinum perk dinner.

Last month on the Jade we had two dinners on Western Caribbean cruise and two dinners on transatlantic cruise. No gratuities were added to account.

No gratuities are associated with the free dinner. You could add some to the receipt if you want.

The way I read the terms and conditions for the voucher is that gratuities are not included for extra items and beverages and that this will be added to you account for these items. This has always been the case and the current rate, as per just about everything on board is 18%.

So gratuities are included on the free portion of the meal, including the bottle of wine, but a gratuity will be added to anything you order in addition.

Rochelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No gratuities are associated with the free dinner. You could add some to the receipt if you want.

When we recently used our Platinum certificates we received no receipt. We didn't order anything that was not covered by the certificate. To leave a tip we had to do cash, nothing to add a tip too. Need to remember to carry some cash on those nights

Thanks for the replies folks. It seems NCL has settled (at least for now) on letting you dine in Le Bistro or La Cucina. I am now going to say something to shock most of you, at least they give us a choice when they really don't have to. The choices in the past were better, but NCL could have changed it to Le Bistro only, and still might in the future. Enjoy it while you can.

True, they don't have to give a choice of these two restaurants, but IMO, they do that only because it benefits them by spreading out the Platinum reward diners over two venues rather than having us all show up X 2 at the very small Le Bistro which is already packed with SDP users.

If you are correct and they eventually restrict the reward to one restaurant, it is far more likely to be La Cucina, rather than Le Bistro, as LC is half empty on most nights, and on a ranking of NCL restaurants would probably sit at the bottom of the list.

For those who say $2 or 3 dollars is not much to quibble about, and actually it's more like $6 or $8 when you consider it's a meal for 2, in the general scheme of things, I agree. But, this is a loyalty reward from NCL, a "dinner for 2". Except that if I want the escargot for an app, and also a salad I will be charged $3 or $4 for a salad which cost NCL perhaps 10 cents.

So, the message I get loud and clear is that NCL values my loyalty so much that they could not possibly comp me a 10 cent item. So in reality the "reward" has been turned into another revenue stream for those soups or salads, which also makes them look greedy when they try to capitalize on a Reward dinner.

So the entire meal, rather than thinking how great NCL is to reward us with a free dinner, I am thinking how cheap they are to charge me for a 10 cent salad and how greedy they are in trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of us. It's just not a good message to be sending when trying to "Reward" someone.

For those who say $2 or 3 dollars is not much to quibble about, and actually it's more like $6 or $8 when you consider it's a meal for 2, in the general scheme of things, I agree. But, this is a loyalty reward from NCL, a "dinner for 2". Except that if I want the escargot for an app, and also a salad I will be charged $3 or $4 for a salad which cost NCL perhaps 10 cents.

So, the message I get loud and clear is that NCL values my loyalty so much that they could not possibly comp me a 10 cent item. So in reality the "reward" has been turned into another revenue stream for those soups or salads, which also makes them look greedy when they try to capitalize on a Reward dinner.

So the entire meal, rather than thinking how great NCL is to reward us with a free dinner, I am thinking how cheap they are to charge me for a 10 cent salad and how greedy they are in trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of us. It's just not a good message to be sending when trying to "Reward" someone.

Agreed, that was the point I made earlier. It's just the opposite of what a business should do in terms of corporate goodwill. It's not about whether any of us can afford to spend those few extra dollars.

When we recently used our Platinum certificates we received no receipt. We didn't order anything that was not covered by the certificate. To leave a tip we had to do cash, nothing to add a tip too. Need to remember to carry some cash on those nights

That was out experience too last month and also a year ago.

If i remember correctly the certificate states that you could use it for Le Bistro, La Cucina and Moderno . It does not apply for Cagneys and Teppynniaki, however that was when the specialty restaurants went by cover charges. The Certificate is worth $20 cover charge any restaurant over that it wont apply. I am wondering if it has changed.

Edited by qtaromar1970

LeBistro or La Cucina on the Pearl 2 weeks ago. We also had the UDP so we used the platinum certificates for the wine and used our UDP for the Le Bistro meals. Easy peasy....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We tried that on POA (same sailing punkincc was on) and told no by the waiter. He said it would be a problem with "accounting" - I told him to get supervisor which he never did and I just let it go and we went with the 1-1-1 program.

It seems to have changed to only the two restaurant options when the ala carte restaurants were introduced.

No it changed much earlier. On the Gem in January 2015, we only had the two options, and it may have been the same a year earlier. It seemed to change when the prices for the specialty restaurants increased a few years ago. That's when it went down to only 2 choices.

Glad to still have the dinners, but annoyed they take away from loyal returning customers.

Safe sailing

No it changed much earlier. On the Gem in January 2015, we only had the two options, and it may have been the same a year earlier. It seemed to change when the prices for the specialty restaurants increased a few years ago. That's when it went down to only 2 choices.

Glad to still have the dinners, but annoyed they take away from loyal returning customers.

Safe sailing

this is the only cruise line when instead of adding stuff for loyal customers they take away. I remember when i used to use that certificate to eat at Moderno, and the asian restaurant before it became a complimentary restaurant. I even made a suggestion that Platinum members should be able to use that certificate at Cagneys but alas no one in NCL heard me..LOL.. I was on the Jade last year and i used it in Le Bistro and La cucina.. I have to admit i can't eat at le Bistro more than once is just to rich and becomes monotonous.

Safe sailing

That's interesting. In March 2014 on BA they had the three options and when we went in Dec. 2015 on Spirit the certificate listed LaCucina, LeBistro, and Moderno (which there isn't one on the Spirit).

That's interesting. In March 2014 on BA they had the three options and when we went in Dec. 2015 on Spirit the certificate listed LaCucina, LeBistro, and Moderno (which there isn't one on the Spirit).

When we were on the DAWN in Nov 2015 the choices were LaCucina, LeBistro and Moderno then on our past cruise (May 8) it was just LaCucina and LeBistro.

Edited by pathubia

When we were on the DAWN in Nov 2015 the choices were LaCucina, LeBistro and Moderno then on our past cruise (May 8) it was just LaCucina and LeBistro.

On the Jewel in April 2015 our choices were only Le Bistro and La Cucina.