Divorced bringing son what do I need

ARI421

It's been a while since I have sailed carnival, I am.bringing my 12 year old. I am remarried with a different last name what do I need for my son to travel with me?

You need a minimum of his birth certificate or officially recognized picture ID.

However, without starting a huge debate, I'm a firm believer in taking a passport when I cruise, so my recommendation would be to take a trip to the post office or courthouse (whoever processes passports in your state!) and get one each.

The fact that you are divorced and remarried should make absolutely no difference to the process.

You need a minimum of his birth certificate or officially recognized picture ID.

However, without starting a huge debate, I'm a firm believer in taking a passport when I cruise, so my recommendation would be to take a trip to the post office or courthouse (whoever processes passports in your state!) and get one each.

The fact that you are divorced and remarried should make absolutely no difference to the process.

This is not correct. To get a passport for a minor, you need both parents in person to get it. In addition, they may or may not need a notarized letter from the other parent.

You will need the other parent to get a passport. There are procedures if they are unidentified or you are no longer able to locate. All info is on the passport website.

I also always travel with a notarized letter; certain ports like Mexico claim that you need it. In 10 plus cruises I have never been asked for it. But Murphy's law - the one time I don't have it, I will need it.

Wrong.

Wrong.

no picture id needed under 16 years of age

Bill

You are required to have a letter of consent from the other parent, which I believe has to be notarized. I was only asked for it once when I checked in, but my kids have my last name.

I can tell you that I had a problem coming back into the US from Canada with them once when I didn't have a letter with me.

It's best to check with the cruise line directly. Everybody will have a different story on Cruise Critic. There are many types of family dynamics now. Single parents, both male and female, by choice.

I was a single mother, by choice, and was never asked for any documentation when my kids were younger.

In Jan, my daughters and grandkids went on a Disney cruise and neither daughters were asked for any notorized anything, and oldest daughter has different last name than my granddaughter.

Check with the cruise line and see what they want. You may or may not need it.

We sailed on Royal Caribbean last June and Disney Cruise last month with our granddaughter.

Both times we had to produce the consent letter not only at checkin but also when we left the ship and went through Customs!

I would take the letter!!

You definitely need the notarized letter with the other parent's approval to take the child out of the country. Not only may you be asked for this by the cruiseline or customs, but the airline you are flying in on may also request it. I used to work for Delta Airlines and we were required to request it.

Unfortunately, people in custody disputes have taken their children to foreign countries to keep them from the other parent. So this is to prevent those situations from occurring.

When we took my husband's children on a cruise a couple years ago, we had the letter with us. We were never asked for it. But it's best to be prepared, just in case!

You definitely need the notarized letter with the other parent's approval to take the child out of the country. Not only may you be asked for this by the cruiseline or customs, but the airline you are flying in on may also request it. I used to work for Delta Airlines and we were required to request it.

Unfortunately, people in custody disputes have taken their children to foreign countries to keep them from the other parent. So this is to prevent those situations from occurring.

When we took my husband's children on a cruise a couple years ago, we had the letter with us. We were never asked for it. But it's best to be prepared, just in case!

I was lectured for a while about it when coming back across the border from Canada when I didn't have a letter on it. They also interviewed the kids individually to make sure I was telling the truth.

It's been a while since I have sailed carnival, I am.bringing my 12 year old. I am remarried with a different last name what do I need for my son to travel with me?

His certified birth certificate will suffice for Carnival. Notarized letter is recommended by both Carnival and Border patrol but not required ( contrary to above posters claiming it is required.) If your son can articulate that you are his mother you have no worries.

His certified birth certificate will suffice for Carnival. Notarized letter is recommended by both Carnival and Border patrol but not required ( contrary to above posters claiming it is required.) If your son can articulate that you are his mother you have no worries.

Not quite true. See the link to the border patrol. I experienced this first hand coming across the border from Canada. Yes it was an odd, rare incident, but for whatever reason we got hung up until they could verify that I was telling the truth. I have traveled across borders north and south and cruised with the kids and nobody said a thing, except that one, rare time.

I took my niece last year. I found a template online and added her and her parents info and they signed and notarized it. I also grabbed a copy of her health insurance card. No one ever asked for it, but I wanted to be prepared since she was a minor and not traveling with either parent. Not sure if I'd do it with my own child. My daughters father died more than 10 years ago, so there wasn't much I could give them, but again...never asked

I was awarded sole legal custody of my 3 kids 6 years ago. The mother moved cross country to AZ and has failed to provide a physical address all this time (she's 20,000+ in arrears of child support so she doesn't want to be found and served for contempt of court here in SC) so it's a virtual impossibility getting a notarized letter from her. I make copies of the court documents showing custody status, and a copy of a letter from a process server in AZ who attempted to locate her unsuccessfully. Haven't been asked yet to produce a letter from the mother yet...doesn't mean I won't in the future but the court document establishes my legitimacy as the custodial parent.

I was awarded sole legal custody of my 3 kids 6 years ago. The mother moved cross country to AZ and has failed to provide a physical address all this time (she's 20,000+ in arrears of child support so she doesn't want to be found and served for contempt of court here in SC) so it's a virtual impossibility getting a notarized letter from her. I make copies of the court documents showing custody status, and a copy of a letter from a process server in AZ who attempted to locate her unsuccessfully. Haven't been asked yet to produce a letter from the mother yet...doesn't mean I won't in the future but the court document establishes my legitimacy as the custodial parent.

Sole custody doesn't necessarily matter when taking a child out of the country.

I am in the same situation. So I called Carnival. The rep that I spoke with said its nice to have a letter, but as long as you are the child's parent, and there are no custody restrictions saying that you can not leave the country, you do not need any type of letter from the non custiodial parent.