Does anybody ever bring a gift for their room steward?

tdavis0990

This is a copy & paste of a CC article WHAT TO EXPECT ON A CRUISE: CABIN STEWARD that I read earlier today...maybe this is where some people get the idea of small cabins & no gifts.??

**"Some people like to bring their room steward a gift to show their appreciation. While this is a nice gesture, keep in mind that crew cabins are small and there's not a lot of room for trinkets. Your room attendant would more likely appreciate cash or perhaps a prepaid phone card to call home."**

I have stopped reading reviews because of the vast amount of misinformation I have seen in them. Some of the other items I see on CC cause me concern because many people come to this website to get information and can be misled by incorrect information that is posted by some who think they know the facts but fail to check the sources for accuracy.

Also, some repeatedly post their opinions hoping that they can further their agenda. That is not fair to those seeking information.

Edited by swedish weave

You speak of crew as mindless robots who all prefer the same things. That is not correct and insults the intelligence of many of my friends who are crew members.

Some crew members have very nice full sized cabins.

Sure some do, like officers, but surely not the cabin stewards and that is who the OP asked about.

I have stopped reading reviews because of the vast amount of misinformation I have seen in them. Some of the other items I see on CC cause me concern because many people come to this website to get information and can be misled by incorrect information that is posted by some who think they know the facts but fail to check the sources for accuracy.

I rarely read reviews but, what you were responding to was not a review. It was posted by Cruise Critic as something to consider, a gentle reminder of the crews' cabins lack of space and take it to heart.

Also, some repeatedly post their opinions hoping that they can further their agenda. That is not fair to those seeking information.

The operative word here is OPINION, you have one and so does everyone else. What possibly could be someone's agenda for posting that they think gifts are unnecessary, useless, and or any of the other reasons for giving cash instead?:confused: Agenda, really? You're grasping at straws now.

If you want to continue giving, whatever gifts they are, that's fine and dandy, everyone who has posted was just also giving their opinion on the matter. Most people do not have the relationship that you seem to have with some crew members.;)

Edited by iheartbda

I saw it suggested on another post to bring a small gift for your room steward. I thought it was a nice idea, I mean who doesn't like gifts?

Replies to that post were surprisingly negative, "They want your money, not a gift" "WHY would you bring a gift??" etc. :confused::(

Anyway, does anybody ever do this? If so what do you give??

Just so its clear, I would NEVER tip less because I gave a gift, in fact I usually tip more than recommended.

Yes, we often provide a small gift along with an extra tip to a staff member if they have gone above and beyond. BTW, we also leave the auto gratuities in place.:D

I'd like to know why giving a gift card or a phone card ( who uses them anymore?) is better than just cash?? If you want something physical, put the cash in a thank you card.

On our recent cruise, we never even met our room steward. It seems some people wish to make BFF with the crew.

Sure some do, like officers, but surely not the cabin stewards and that is who the OP asked about.

I rarely read reviews but, what you were responding to was not a review. It was posted by Cruise Critic as something to consider, a gentle reminder of the crews' cabins lack of space and take it to heart.

The operative word here is OPINION, you have one and so does everyone else. What possibly could be someone's agenda for posting that they think gifts are unnecessary, useless, and or any of the other reasons for giving cash instead?:confused: Agenda, really? You're grasping at straws now.

If you want to continue giving, whatever gifts they are, that's fine and dandy, everyone who has posted was just also giving their opinion on the matter. Most people do not have the relationship that you seem to have with some crew members.;)

OK -- I agree that some stewards reside in cabins with others, but some also share a cabin with their spouse when both work on the same ship.

Space is not an issue when small gifts are given, and they add a personal touch that some crew members remember and cherish.

My agenda comment was meant to point out the numerous posts by some who repeatedly say things like ----DSC is not tips,--- they only want cash,---ad infinitum.

I don't believe I have ever said I give gifts INSTEAD of cash, so I am pointing out the posts that constantly use that to dispute anyone who says they give gifts.

We could go on and on with this, but I believe the crew members all have different likes and dislikes, so it is wrong to try to lump them into one mindset.

Some who post here form an opinion based on one experience and will dispute anyone who doesn't have the same. My experience has been over many cruises and many cruise lines, and it is not pleasant to be called a liar by someone who has cruised once and carries that on forever on these boards.

OK -- I agree that some stewards reside in cabins with others, but some also share a cabin with their spouse when both work on the same ship.

Space is not an issue when small gifts are given, and they add a personal touch that some crew members remember and cherish.

My agenda comment was meant to point out the numerous posts by some who repeatedly say things like ----DSC is not tips,--- they only want cash,---ad infinitum.

I don't believe I have ever said I give gifts INSTEAD of cash, so I am pointing out the posts that constantly use that to dispute anyone who says they give gifts.

We could go on and on with this, but I believe the crew members all have different likes and dislikes, so it is wrong to try to lump them into one mindset.

Some who post here form an opinion based on one experience and will dispute anyone who doesn't have the same. My experience has been over many cruises and many cruise lines, and it is not pleasant to be called a liar by someone who has cruised once and carries that on forever on these boards.

I stand by the FACT, that all crew from maintenance to officers, prefer complementary comments left at GS that leads to promotions and time off. Yes, even a tiny trinket given by a couple of guests times each contract week ends up with a pile of junk.

I'd like to know why giving a gift card or a phone card ( who uses them anymore?) is better than just cash?? If you want something physical, put the cash in a thank you card.

On our recent cruise, we never even met our room steward. It seems some people wish to make BFF with the crew.

Because people can buy gift cards at a discount or from a place where they can get fuel points, credit card discount, etc so a $5 gift card may only cost them $4 or even nothing.

I have had a crew member tell me she has the gifts from me in her room and even told me what year I gave them to her. Maybe she has a larger room than you see in the videos.

And I get stopped regularly by crew who remember the year, month and ship I last sailed with them.

Of course, any Entertainment Level and those of similar rank (,or friends with Guest Services staff) crew can find out when the last time you sailed..

Because people can buy gift cards at a discount or from a place where they can get fuel points, credit card discount, etc so a $5 gift card may only cost them $4 or even nothing.

Then they have to go to that store to use them. I keep it simple, hand them money.

You speak of crew as mindless robots who all prefer the same things. That is not correct and insults the intelligence of many of my friends who are crew members.

Some crew members have very nice full sized cabins.

Would you then please show us the photos of the nice full sized cabin the the level of service staff that has it? Officers do not count. Need proof, just like we have been shown other staff quarters…

Not mindless robots. Unless you live or have unlimited access to the back of the house, you will not know how staff truly react to your trinkets. WE are paid to always have on the happy face and exude thankfulness when we are in front of guests. Part of working front of the house positions requires a person to be an actor - we actually stress this in our interview process. No matter how pompous or self-important or rude someone is, we must behave like they are just like every other "normal" guest we have. We exuded a thankful smile and thoughtful "thank you" to the guest who gave us the magnets. Then, we all went to the back office and had a hearty laugh and commented how stupid this was. When you are making less than minimum wage because your position is listed as a tipping position, you scratch for every penny. To have some people think giving out trinkets instead of cash in an effort to make a friend, is well, self-absorbant IMHO.

A gift IN ADDITION to tips is fine. I've had some nice ones (bottles of wine, leftover swag bags from events or weddings, the annual King Cake one of our unit owners brings, the Hawaiian shortbreads another unit owner brings, the pounds of Georgia pecans from another, a gift bag with lavender products from a guest who owns a fragrance business…), but they are never given in lieu of a cash tip. Also, I own a house, I don't live in a 8x10 dorm, so I do have a little room for junk ;)

What are these treasures that you bring with you that crew flock to like birds on a table-full of leftover food...

On a recent cruise just before Christmas, we decorated our cabin with strings of lights, a small tabletop tree and some battery operated candles. Looked so pretty and the steward commented on how beautiful the cabin was.

When we were packing up to leave, I told him that I wasn't taking them home and he asked if he could have them. I said "sure" and he was so happy because he said that the staff didn't have decorations for their upcoming Christmas party and these would be great. :D So he gladly took them to help make their party nicer.

Otherwise, the only gift I have given or would ever give to them is cash. King of gifts! ;)

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I stand by the FACT, that all crew from maintenance to officers, prefer complementary comments left at GS that leads to promotions and time off. Yes, even a tiny trinket given by a couple of guests times each contract week ends up with a pile of junk.
I think folks that give gifts probably think they are the only one doing it. Think about it, if even a few passengers a week give a gift, whether it be a hat, t-shirt, etc., you are looking at a lot of junk. Also, how many times has one received a gift that they neither wanted or needed, but have given the giver a huge thank and have said how much they appreciated it and then it gets thrown away or given to someone else. If a crew member needs or wants something, they can purchase it if one gives the gift of cash. I don't give gifts, I will, however, give cash tips for service above and beyond the norm.

Some of this reminds me of one of the times I went to Africa. A couple brought pencils along to give to the children for school. Instead of waiting for us to be at a school, they stood in the middle of a village and started giving them out. The locals (children and adults) were taking them like they were gold, but the funny thing was our guide told us that they didn't have paper to write on, it was just that they were getting something. Our guide said that the adults wouldn't give them to the school, but would probably just put them in the fire when they found out they had no use for them. Now the couple thought they did a great thing, because as they said "everyone loved us".

Edited by NLH Arizona

I totally agree w you. The crew is there to make your cruise enjoyable, not to be your friend. They have a job to do and the best gift that you can give to them is to make their job easier by letting them work, keeping out of their way, and keeping your cabin reasonably neat. Also, if they do a good job, praise them in writing on the comment cards that you will receive. They will never be your BFF although they realize that making you think that they are your BFF gets them bigger tips.

When they smile and say that the cheap trinket that someone (not you) is wonderful, I am sure that this is part of their training - make the guests happy and feeling wanted regardless if you really feel that they are beyond redeeming.

Call me cynical but that it what I feel.

DON

It is interesting that you know ALL the crew from all the ships. That is quite a wide range, isn't it ?????

I do not think that it is a negative opinion.

We do not need another BFF. We are just one of hundreds of people that our stewards meet each rotation. Don't forget...they are trained to be friendly. This does not mean that they want you for a BFF either.

This is a business relationship. You can make it personal by treating them with the utmost respect, being pleasant and not demanding, and by thanking them with something that you are absolutely certain that they need and want...CASH. I cannot imagine them preferring something from your home town or a gift card of some sort to folding cash that can be used anywhere, anytime. Or easily transferred back to their family members.

Edited by iancal