How would you do a B2B?

vicocala

Hi, I posted this on the MSC board as I am doing our first B2B with them but the question is relevant on most American lines as well.

Hi we are doing our first B2B in three weeks and my wife and I were just discussing why we are doing our cruise the way we are.

I decided to do an Eastern Caribbean first followed by the west. I have two reasons for my logic and wanted your thoughts.

The first reason is that we are unsure how a 14 day cruise will end up working for us. While I am almost always sad to leave at the end of a seven day cruise and would like a little longer, I would prefer that the busiest part of the cruise (more port days) to be after a chance to relax a bit. We start with two sea days. This gives the DW a chance to rest before the activities begin.

The other reason is I would prefer to have port days to look forward to instead of sea days. If we were to start to get antsy, I would prefer activity as opposed to leisure at that point.

What are your thoughts on a B2B in the Caribbean? Would the logic change on north/south Alaska runs or e/w cruises in the Med?

Thanks for your thoughts, I know it is a first world question but I would be interested in what order you have or would of done such a trip.

we have done a few B2Bs ... neither leg were the same.

Go for it! It is up to you to choose which leg to do before the other. I would prefer a sea day at the beginning of the first leg and at the end of the 2nd leg.

I don't think you can do south/north Alaska, only north/south.

ENJOY!!

WE only do b2b cruises for the simple fact that 7 days is not enough when you have to pay the same price for the flight for 1 week verses 2.

We also do it to avoid some of our winter weather. We always make sure that we book the same cabin as to not disrupt our trip and not having to worry about moving.

We have on some done an excursion in between cruise but most often we just like to stay on ship. But you have to remember that you will have to clear ship for security and custom reasons, it can take up to an hour to leave and get back on.

For NCL you would coordinate this with conciegre, or front desk. They will put you in a secure area so that you don't have to do the large line ups through customs.

I doubt that you will be alone doing this process.

We have also done b2b changing ships and ports, getting off in Miami and getting on in Ft. Lauderdale same day. Cost of shuttle I think $20 or $30 using SAS and its about 30 min. ride.

In the end I think it's a bigger bang for your buck

I have done an Eastern/ Western Caribbean on the Norwegian Pearl and The Norwegian Getaway. I loved it so much that I am doing a back2back2back this December on The Norwegian Getaway.

Unlike you, I much prefer Sea days to Port days. Sometimes in port, I only get off the ship to walk down the pier and maybe shop a little.

The important thing is to enjoy your time together, with others you may meet on the ship and enjoy whatever you are on and all that She may offer.

I have done an Eastern/ Western Caribbean on the Norwegian Pearl and The Norwegian Getaway. I loved it so much that I am doing a back2back2back this December on The Norwegian Getaway.

Unlike you, I much prefer Sea days to Port days. Sometimes in port, I only get off the ship to walk down the pier and maybe shop a little.

The important thing is to enjoy your time together, with others you may meet on the ship and enjoy whatever you are on and all that She may offer.

Thanks, both cruises involve Nassau so they will probably be considered as sea days for us, at least one of them for sure. The nice thing about a 14 day is you have a few of both!

We like to do BtoB cruises, however, we like to change ships for the second segment. We've done the Caribbean many times, changing from, say Celebrity western caribbean and then boarding a Holland America ship for an eastern caribbean. Just need to taxi over to the other ship (since this is no-winner for a cab driver, I always give him $20 for his loss of a "real" fare)

In Alaska, we took a RCL ship northbound; spent a week in the mainland area; and a Celebrity ship southbound. Both were in/out of Seward.

This past summer we cruised out of Rome on Celebrity's Reflection and then flew to London and boarded RCL's Anthem of the Seas out of Southampton.

Many ways to put together different ships. We've also cruised the traditional BtoB on the same ship, but prefer having the different experience of different companies.

Have fun with it!

Kel:)

I've done B2B before and enjoyed them. My preference would be: 1) a different route, 2) the same cabin and 3) each segment being 14+ days. My favorite B2B are repositioning cruises. I tend to like staying on board and so it really does not matter to me if I have been to some of the ports before. The "draw" for me is the ship and the water. Of course, there is something to be said the last day of the first segment where you are watching everyone getting ready and leaving and YOU ARE STAYING. Just a great feeling.

Enjoy.

We would rather have ports days for the Caribbean as majority of folks get off the ship.

However with the booze pkg I'm sure more people are staying on-board as we discovered on out Jan cruise. :(

We do b2b's to get as many cruise days as possible during one journey. The exact order of the itinerary isn't that important to us although port days followed by sea days would be preferable.

We are doing our first B2B in September aboard the Jade, justifying the airfare to Europe, with an extended 4 day land tour in Italy.

I'm a little worried my DH will be bored on the four sea days. He likes to move a lot and might complain and want to cancel our 11 day Panama Canal on the Pearl in March, which also has 4 sea days.

• 5 months later...
we have done a few B2Bs ... neither leg were the same.

Go for it! It is up to you to choose which leg to do before the other. I would prefer a sea day at the beginning of the first leg and at the end of the 2nd leg.

I don't think you can do south/north Alaska, only north/south.

ENJOY!!

You can do B2B* on the same ship except for the first voyage of the season and

the last. Beginning of the season the ship sails north from Vancouver to Seward or Whittier depending on cruise line and turns around for the south

bound sequence. The end of the season the ship returns to Vancouver to do a repositioning cruise to another cruise market.

* the B2B would not be defined as a B2B but as two connecting cruise trips.

One advantage to doing a B2B is staying on board (best if in the same cabin)

and not having to disembark with all baggage in tow - to reboard and go thru all that razmataz of waiting to recheck in etc. it is just like a port stop.

And disadvantage the short turn around time 6-10 hours does not leave much of an opportunity to visit (especially at Anchorage or even Vancouver).

These Alaska cruises are designed as one-way voyages with land packages before or after the cruise.

The voyages out of Seattle are NOT designed as B2B as they begin and end at Seattle (Closed Loop).

But nothing says that you can't do the repeat of the voyage.

Another exception at the beginning and end of the season a B2B could be constructed with a repositioning cruise

i.e. end of season Alaska -Vancouver- Seattle Victoria BC Astoria San Francisco Los Angeles (Long Beach/San Pedro) San Diego and various cities along the Mexican Rivera.

This was using Alaska as point of constructing cruises.

The Caribbean has the Western Southern and Eastern elements as connecting cruises with potential B2B possibilities.

For the OP (vicocala) unless you stay on the same vessel it is not usually a B2B.

Getting off one having been on for 7 days and then to board another is two different cruises.

You may have to overnight for one or more nights to make the connection. That can be a lot of baggage hauling around to do this and extra lodging; meals and cab/taxi transportation expenses.

There are also other cruises with the Bahamas and Bermuda as port stops.

Then too are the TAL cruises tied with Mediterranean and Baltic cruises.

Compare the merits of doing a B2B - the financial side of the equation is there is not a great deal to be gained unless NCL is offering a real special promo or your TA has something to offer Credit Card points/miles OBC etc.

B2B cruises are usually 2 or more voyages using the same ship - Beginning and end of a season the port stops may offer different possibilities better than same-ole same-ole !

We are doing our 1st b2b in January, 1st leg Getaway, 2nd leg Pearl, both from POM. Do they still do the secure area thing with NCL for sailing different ships at the same port? Anyone who has done this I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Can't answer that fully - but noted I think that with two different sailings NCL would not use a COMMON boarding area.

NCL would for certain with it's new beverage and silly water restrictions use the same format in each boarding areas.

I boarded the STAR Oct 2014 and the SKY was just in front of us.

The two of us taking up about a half mile of pier/berth space - way too much space for a common check-in.

But the secure common area check-in would be the same for both.

You first pass thru the security area where one is given the n'th degree to check for weapons of mass destruction and nuclear beverages and water

as well as micro miniature small tools (leatherman craftsman) to dismantle the ship innerts (poke a hole in the hull) .

After that the grand hall for getting your documents documented and financial arrangements settled cabin room key card and photo taken - then the seemingly

wait for ever to board to stand further hours in the gangplank/way line for the computers to do their work recording you are on board.

NCL does a fairly good job of all this but unlike Disneyland the progress does not have signs saying you have an hour to board from this point and must be this tall to fit into the gangway ! LOL !

Really folks it is not all that bad just only in your mind !

B2B's for me, are itinerary based- ONLY. Never to just stay on a "ship". My preference is not sea days, a price dump bargain is also attractive. A few times, I have stayed on the same ship, but some times I move between ships, sometimes having days in between. I'm doing a same ship b2b next month on the Sun for 20 days, and another with the Glory and Splendor in January with a day in between for my snorkel priority trip. In March, was on the Sun for 28 days, May, Radiance for 14. Not a "real" b2b in August since a week in between, but 14 days on the Dawn. 3 other single 13/14 day cruises also thrown in, this year:)

Take advantage of late booking price deals and of being in areas you like. :) Enjoy!!