Harmony is NOT a construction site

I guess people see what they want to see.

She looks good to me.

I was reading through the other threads and it seems that many , not all, of the complaints are around limited food options and long waits in the dining room. People being told things that should have been available weren't because the ship wasn't stocked correctly.

I have just got off Harmony yesterday, and can also confirm it is definitely not a construction site - but Starbucks was closed! maybe they had an issue with something inside - but that was the only thing that was closed - yes there are a few guys going around doing maintenance, but every cruise i've ever been on you have on going maintenance :)

I did see two guests going around all the deck sides and "nooks and crannies" taking photographs - obviously trying to show that masking tape hadn't been used correctly whilst painting!! lol why don't these people just enjoy the cruise instead of trying to pick fault! Surely a small paint smudge in a corner isn't going to ruin your cruise and warrant a refund! I'd love to see the insides of some of the complainers homes! :-)

Great ship :-)

From some of the pictures people have posted on various threads regarding her initial sailing, it could be perceived as much more than issues with masking tape being ineffectively used.

By the time I sail on her in February, I am sure I will see only normal routine maintenance, which is going on all the time.

My own reasons for complaint (and, I suspect, the reasons of others) were quite legitimate and certainly not an exaggeration:-

The banging and clattering of works being carried out - noise which intruded into my cabin - unacceptable;

The toilet not flushing - unacceptable;

The entire ship running out of supplies (e.g. orange juice) - unacceptable and very poor planning;

Cables sticking out which I almost tripped over - unacceptable, not to mention a health and safety hazard;

2 Aqua Theatre shows which I had booked cancelled - because the theatre steps/flooring construction was not finished yet - unacceptable;

Whirpools closed intermittently with no explanation given as to why when I asked staff - unacceptable;

Room service complimentary menu reduced to just 3 soups, two wraps and 1 salad. A fee charged to have eggs and/or pancakes from the room service menu - unacceptable, and a blatant example of "nickle and dime" mentality taken to extremes; (and when my room service order was delivered after a 50 minute wait, not everything was I ordered was there);

Rude and confrontational behaviour from a customer services representative (fortunately her manager stepped in and corrected her, but the damage was done, reputation-wise, for Royal) - most certainly unacceptable;

And finally, Royal attempting to explain all the problems away by stating the 2 mini cruises were just preview-cruises. They were not sold as such and I paid full price as a solo cruiser - £781 for the 4 night cruise in an oceanview cabin, and £940 for the 3 night cruise in a junior suite. Even Royal cannot surely pretend that these were "shake-down cruise" prices.

Watch this space to see if Royal come good on the compensation offered to me for the problems I experienced. Regardless, compensation notwithstanding, Royal has gone down in my estimation by a long chalk and I speak as a Diamond C&A member.

Edited by April_2000

My own reasons for complaint (and, I suspect, the reasons of others) were quite legitimate and certainly not an exaggeration:-

The banging and clattering of works being carried out - noise which intruded into my cabin - unacceptable;

The toilet not flushing - unacceptable;

The entire ship running out of supplies (e.g. orange juice) - unacceptable and very poor planning;

Cables sticking out which I almost tripped over - unacceptable, not to mention a health and safety hazard;

2 Aqua Theatre shows which I had booked cancelled - because the theatre steps/flooring construction was not finished yet - unacceptable;

Whirpools closed intermittently with no explanation given as to why when I asked staff - unacceptable;

Room service complimentary menu reduced to just 3 soups, two wraps and 1 salad. A fee charged to have eggs and/or pancakes from the room service menu - unacceptable, and a blatant example of "nickle and dime" mentality taken to extremes; (and when my room service order was delivered after a 50 minute wait, not everything was I ordered was there);

Rude and confrontational behaviour from a customer services representative (fortunately her manager stepped in and corrected her, but the damage was done, reputation-wise, for Royal) - most certainly unacceptable;

And finally, Royal attempting to explain all the problems away by stating the 2 mini cruises were just preview-cruises. They were not sold as such and I paid full price as a solo cruiser - £781 for the 4 night cruise in an oceanview cabin, and £940 for the 3 night cruise in a junior suite. Even Royal cannot surely pretend that these were "shake-down cruise" prices.

Watch this space to see if Royal come good on the compensation offered to me for the problems I experienced. Regardless, compensation notwithstanding, Royal has gone down in my estimation by a long chalk and I speak as a Diamond C&A member.

I do not doubt what you experienced. A cruiser should never be treated rudely or end up in some confrontational exchange with a staff member. What confuses me, is that even after a manager stepped in and corrected the staff member, you are holding it against Royal. I could see, if there was no corrective action taken, but clearly the manager wants to instruct/train the employee in a better way to handle whatever the situation was.

Absolutely so. The buck stops with Royal.

The representative argued with the manager, saying "We've changed our policy then?" but he overruled her. Royal should make sure that all their staff are singing off the same hymn sheet - to challenge her supervisor in front of a customer is very poor show.

The manager was however very apologetic and gave me his card. In my complaint to Royal I made sure to mention his name to say that he had handled what was a difficult situation very well. It was the offending representative who needed a lesson in customer relations.

Room service complimentary menu reduced to just 3 soups, two wraps and 1 salad. A fee charged to have eggs and/or pancakes from the room service menu - unacceptable,

The room service menu was changed back in 2014 on Quantum and Anthem, so it is nothing new.

While I can't speak to the 3 & 4 day cruises, I can speak to the current Southampton-Barcelona cruise and I have not encountered any Disney-like long lines, issues with service, closed facilities, or inoperable toilets. They seem to have worked out the kinks in operations. That doesn't help the previous passengers, but should calm the fears that people may have for upcoming cruises.

I agree with 13_jane that the cosmetic issues people "documented" do not affect my cruising at all. Some people just enjoy finding fault. The ship looks great.

While I can't speak to the 3 & 4 day cruises, I can speak to the current Southampton-Barcelona cruise and I have not encountered any Disney-like long lines, issues with service, closed facilities, or inoperable toilets. They seem to have worked out the kinks in operations. That doesn't help the previous passengers, but should calm the fears that people may have for upcoming cruises.

Hi Jamie, has the Aquatheatre opened? Do you know if the Dreamworks character breakfast is going on? We sail next week and I have been unable to book the latter for DD via the Cruise Planner.

Thanks!

Room service complimentary menu reduced to just 3 soups, two wraps and 1 salad. A fee charged to have eggs and/or pancakes from the room service menu - unacceptable,

The room service menu was changed back in 2014 on Quantum and Anthem, so it is nothing new.

Same on Ovation too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on the Brilliance in May 2015 and the Explorer in October 2015 and there were full room service menus available. So it seems that Royal are cutting the menus (again "nickle and dime" mentality) on a ship by ship basis. It's the fact that people just accept this type of thing that allows Royal to get away with it.

While I can't speak to the 3 & 4 day cruises...

Well I can speak to the 3 & 4 day cruises. Whether or not the ship has now rectified the problems that were encountered earlier does not in any way help the "guinea-pig" passengers.

If you are onboard the Harmony now and are having a good time then that's great - it's what you paid for and you deserve to enjoy it. But those less fortunate then you (on the 3 & 4 day cruises) will continue to pursue Royal until proper compensation is forthcoming for a sub-par holiday.

Edited by April_2000

We were on the 22May 4 night from Southampton. Yes, there was work going on and engineers were around.

We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! We are not diamond members but regular NCL cruisers with the last being the NCL Escape. Thought we would try Royal Caribbean and were very impressed with Harmony. Loved all the extra restaurants which we are used to with NCL.

We had also booked the Aqua show but it didn't ruin our trip.

Difference of opinions.......

Well I can speak to the 3 & 4 day cruises. Whether or not the ship has now rectified the problems that were encountered earlier does not in any way help the "guinea-pig" passengers.

If you are onboard the Harmony now and are having a good time then that's great - it's what you paid for and you deserve to enjoy it. But those less fortunate then you (on the 3 & 4 day cruises) will continue to pursue Royal until proper compensation is forthcoming for a sub-par holiday.

Relax, I never downplayed the first two cruises' issues nor did I say they should drop it. As I said, I was telling future cruisers to not worry. I actually agree that they didn't advertise those cruises as shakedowns and they should address the people affected by "non-cosmetic" issues.

I would like to weigh in that the Harmony is definitely not a construction site. Yes a few things need some attention, but has there ever been a ship that doesn't need some work done in some places?

The first day we were on (May 29) all the water slides and great abyss were running. All the kids pool activities appeared up and running. The teen dance club opened last night. The diving show opens tonight.

We have noticed an adults only hot tub that was roped off. Our room safe needed batteries but that was quick you resolved within an hour after we told our room steward.

One of if not the biggest positives RC has is their people. If I had to deal with some of the complainers I hear onboard day in and day out, I would not be nearly as kind as they are. Yes, you might find an exception every now and then, but maybe they just hit their limit. Yes I understand we all paid good money for this cruise, but seriously people let's remember which side of the cabin door we sleep in when the night is done.

So enough of "be a little more appreciative" rant. We are having a FANTASTIC time. Definitely not a construction zone!

**People that are figuring out if the glass is half full or half empty are missing the point. The glass is refillable. Especially if you have the drink package. And it is totally fun to have Mix and Mingle (the robot bartenders) mix your drink**

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by cindivan

Actually it looks like the first show is tonight at 9:30. They are calling it a preview performance of The Fine Line. At least that is what is on the compass.

Sounds like things are really coming together. Enjoy your time onboard!