Chef's table dining experiences?

Last couple of Chef's Tables we have attended they were very very stingy with the wine - nearly like it was a wine tasting! About an inch in your glass and then you have to wait a while until it gets topped up again.

The last one we did was on Emerald Princess recently and it was the poorest, the photograph was taken from way back and you could hardly see who anyone was in it, the wine was very sparingly poured, the food was good as usual but as always seems to be the case now they were big on veal - which a significant minority of people do not eat.

I have found that if you tell them in advance you don't eat veal then you are blacklisted from the event. Just like admitting to food allergies. There are usually enough passengers applying who are omnivores to make up 12 diners for a Table so why would they cater to anyone specially?

Wow, not on the one I did. Just during the canape session in the galley I know I had three glasses of Champagne. At the dinner table I know my white wine was replenished once and my red wine was replenished twice. All the pours were appropriate.

However, this does speak to service level inconsistencies that I have seen on Princess. Your experience on one cruise does not necessarily translate to the next one.

Hi griller

When we did the chefs table last year on the Emerald there was no lack of

Champagne or Wine if your glass was empty it got refilled constantly, to the

point that we had to say no more,

yours Shogun

Please know that they may require closed toed shoes. I've posted about this before. I was caught by surprise after being accepted for Chef's table, thought I didn't have any with me since it was a warm weather Caribbean cruise, only sandals (forgot I had boots I wore the day before with me - duh). They told me they would not make an exception so I freaked out. Then it was cancelled due to Noro. So if you're planning to do it make sure you've go the right closed toe shoe. The galley has safety requirements. It's a worthwhile experience and we were lucky to meet really nice and interesting people. Do not eat a bite before this meal! Wear stretchies. ha ha

I'm another one that felt the wine pours to be quite adamant. Unlike Steve I didn't have to say no mas, but that was only because by the time I finished a second glass of wine, they were bringing out the next course, and it's attendant pairing of wine, and of course the oh so appropriate stemware. Me, I would have been fine with a jelly-jar glass.😎

Not done on cruises shorter than 7 days.

Is this an absolute rule? We just booked our first ever 6 day cruise and I was actually thinking of trying to get the Chef's Table for the first time as we will be celebrating a birthday.

We did the Chef's table on a TA on the Ruby. It was fantastic. I have food allergies and had no problems, aside from a single awkward moment when the chef (we actually had Chef Alfredo himself as he was onboard travelling back to his home in the U.S.) tried to pass me a shrimp appetizer, but the Maitre d'Hotel handled it very diplomatically.

I haven't been able to make risotto since, I think I have to wait a little longer for the memory to fade or mine will still seem pathetic in comparison.

Is this an absolute rule? We just booked our first ever 6 day cruise and I was actually thinking of trying to get the Chef's Table for the first time as we will be celebrating a birthday.

I have heard of the "not on cruises less than 7 days" rule, Jimmy, but the only way to know for sure is to call the DINE line as soon as you get to your cabin. That is when you will get a definitive answer.

Good luck.

I have heard of the "not on cruises less than 7 days" rule, Jimmy, but the only way to know for sure is to call the DINE line as soon as you get to your cabin. That is when you will get a definitive answer.

Good luck.

Thx. The worst that can happen is a "no", and heaven knows that it won't be the first time I've heard that. The new 6 day Western Caribbean is being paired with an 8 day Southern Caribbean to make a 14 day option so I am hoping that they will treat the 6 and 8 the same way they have treated the 7 and 7 in the past and not "short change" the shorter cruise.

Thx. The worst that can happen is a "no", and heaven knows that it won't be the first time I've heard that. The new 6 day Western Caribbean is being paired with an 8 day Southern Caribbean to make a 14 day option so I am hoping that they will treat the 6 and 8 the same way they have treated the 7 and 7 in the past and not "short change" the shorter cruise.

In speaking with a Maitre d' he explained that they do not normally offer Chef's Table on port days, and then there is the Welcome Aboard evening and Captain's Circle, and Farewell..........it gets complicated on less than a 7 night cruise.

I'm another one that felt the wine pours to be quite adamant. Unlike Steve I didn't have to say no mas, but that was only because by the time I finished a second glass of wine, they were bringing out the next course, and it's attendant pairing of wine, and of course the oh so appropriate stemware. Me, I would have been fine with a jelly-jar glass.😎

That should have been adequate, not adamant. That's what I get when I don't proof my posts adequately 🤓

That should have been adequate, not adamant. That's what I get when I don't proof my posts adequately 🤓

And here I was thinking by adamant, you meant you were required to accept and consume the pour!

Having done 5 chefs tables in the past I have to say that the quality of the wine pairings has gotten much poorer over the last few years to the point where I no longer book the dinner.

Hi All

From the point of view of being able to give you all up to date info l might have to try the chefs table on Emerald in a few weeks just to see how much wine l can get before chef or wife becomes adamant

Yours Shogun

Turned out no good for us, Mrs Gut is basically a Vegan and that just wasn't catered for, now different chefs may be prepared to be more accomodating.

I have not done the Chef's table but my impression is that it is over-the-top ostentatious eating. Wouldn't that be pretty difficult to do with a Vegan meal where there is basically nothing that you can eat?

DON

Hi All

From the point of view of being able to give you all up to date info l might have to try the chefs table on Emerald in a few weeks just to see how much wine l can get before chef or wife becomes adamant

Yours Shogun

Your sacrifice is deeply appreciated ;)

I have not done the Chef's table but my impression is that it is over-the-top ostentatious eating. Wouldn't that be pretty difficult to do with a Vegan meal where there is basically nothing that you can eat?

DON

Don, do you mean that it would be difficult for a vegan to enjoy the Chef's Table. The answer to that is, "Yes."

Do you mean that if they were to prepare a vegan meal, then most non-vegans would find it difficult to enjoy? The answer to that is, "Yes."

I think the Chef's Table should be considered like a Prix Fixe meal at any restaurant where you pay a fixed price and dine on what is sent out.

It is not all things for all people. Anyone who is not comfortable with the lack of choice should not sign up for it.

Regarding "over-the-top ostentatious eating," I suppose there is a certain amount of truth to that. Most people at our table did not eat everything on every plate. As I said, I had just two tastes of the dessert. On the other hand, the highlight of cruising for many people is the "over-the-top ostentatious eating"--whether it is in the Dining Rooms, the Buffet, the Specialty Restaurants, "snacks" at the International Cafe, Tapas at the Wine Bar, burgers and pizza at the Pool-side Grills or the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. :D

Hi All

Yours Shogun

Yes, please, do that research for us. And thank you for your dedication to the sciences.

Don, do you mean that it would be difficult for a vegan to enjoy the Chef's Table. The answer to that is, "Yes."

Do you mean that if they were to prepare a vegan meal, then most non-vegans would find it difficult to enjoy? The answer to that is, "Yes."

I think the Chef's Table should be considered like a Prix Fixe meal at any restaurant where you pay a fixed price and dine on what is sent out.

It is not all things for all people. Anyone who is not comfortable with the lack of choice should not sign up for it.

Regarding "over-the-top ostentatious eating," I suppose there is a certain amount of truth to that. Most people at our table did not eat everything on every plate. As I said, I had just two tastes of the dessert. On the other hand, the highlight of cruising for many people is the "over-the-top ostentatious eating"--whether it is in the Dining Rooms, the Buffet, the Specialty Restaurants, "snacks" at the International Cafe, Tapas at the Wine Bar, burgers and pizza at the Pool-side Grills or the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. :D

I did not mean "over-the-top ostentatious eating" in a negative sense. I was just suggesting that it probably would not fit the available Vegan menu options. I have nothing against occasional "over-the-top ostentatious eating" as long as I do not make a habit of it.

DON

. . . When I called I was advised that we could not participate if we had any allergies . . .

Things have changed. Back in 2010, they took note of allergies, and gave me a dessert w/o nuts. At the time we did it, we had a couple that wanted the alcohol free version, and they said they'd adjust their rate.

Edited by knittinggirl

Things have changed. Back in 2010, they took note of allergies, and gave me a dessert w/o nuts. At the time we did it, we had a couple that wanted the alcohol free version, and they said they'd adjust their rate.

I have been at chefs tables with vegetarians, people with seafood & nut allergies. They have all been accommodated. Actually they seemed happy to provide different appetizers and main meal courses. That also was a few years ago. They may have changed or it may depend on the chef if he want to be bothered arranging for a special meal for just 1 person.

That is excellent, KG. It might be a case where the Chef/Maitre d' has discretion, and you found one that was flexible.

Also, the couple sitting next to me, who, I might add, were charming people, were not drinking wine. I assume they were charged $80, not $95.

I have been at chefs tables with vegetarians, people with seafood & nut allergies. They have all been accommodated. Actually they seemed happy to provide different appetizers and main meal courses. That also was a few years ago. They may have changed or it may depend on the chef if he want to be bothered arranging for a special meal for just 1 person.

Interesting. That is even more liberal than KG's experience.

As I think I reported, I was quizzed about allergies when I called the DINE line and made our request. Then, included in our invitation envelope were documents for my wife and I to sign indicating that we had no food allergies.

Again it might be that the Chef/Maitre d' do have the discretion to be flexible.

I will add, though, that there are many "flavors" of vegetarians, but when the word "vegan" is used, that means that that person is VERY STRICT. So, I think Don right.

My late sister-in-law was vegetarian before she became a vegan. Believe me - there is a really big difference.

DON

Edited by donaldsc