Over the door shoe holders

I know this was somewhere on the boards (can't find it) I used this on my last cruise and yes it was very helpful I know lots of you don't find the need

but some of us do. Now I can't rememeber how I held it up lol. I know it was somekind of magnetic hook.. any suggestions...

I have never seen magnetic hooks and I do not think magnetic would hold what I put in my behind the door shoe organizer. I use the command hooks and they are perfect.

This year I am bringing duct tape and attaching regular sticky hooks to the duct tape which will stick to door. The sticky adhesive from the duct tape can easily be removed with baby oil. No damage and all is good;)

I think those are great when you have multiple people in one cabin. I don't think we can post links here (is that right?) but I have purchased something called "Clear Vinyl 12 Pocket Shoe Caddy with Hanger" from Amazon. I can always find something to hang it on in the bathroom. I will include the link in the hope that CC doesn't delete it:

http://www.amazon.com/Richards-Homewares-Clear-Pocket-Hanger/dp/B000KJZ2J0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This item is currently around $15 from this vendor. I have purchased these for myself and others and never paid more than $10 each. Just FYI.

k.

I have one and I LOVE it. I can't stand a messy closet floor and there are never enough cubbies for my shoes. Mine has some flat metal hooks that go over the door. The other utility that I cannot do without is the collapsible laundry bag. It doesn't take up much room is not heavy. I love these utility items.

Command strip hooks are great and easily removable with no damage. Figure the bag to be about 5lbs so get the correct weight hooks with tape.

I do not use over the door cause the door never closed and was afraid to cause damage to the door jam.

There will be several C.C members that think this item is ridiculous but I love mine cause I am much more organized w/o counters and shelves being a mess.

We put ours on the outside of the bathroom door. Shoes and some toiletry items is what we use it for. The hooks that came with ours (from Wal-Mart) are just the right side for the bathroom door....they would work over the closer door, too, but it's not as thick as the bathroom door.

Got mine at Dollar Tree five or so years ago. We hang it from the hooks on the inside of the bathroom door or use the over the door hooks that come with it. Depends on ship and cruise line. It is so lightweight it takes up no space in my luggage. It is really convenient not to dig in drawers looking for stuff. It takes me half the cruise to remember what I put in what drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In the past I've always used the over-the-door hooks that come with the organizer, and I always place it on the outside of the bathroom door so the contents are always available to the person not inside the bathroom. The hooks never compromised the door's ability to close completely because there was plenty of empty space between the door and the header.

I think I might bring Command Hooks next time but still place it on the bathroom door -- I'm super short, so getting the hooks up on top of the door is a PITA if my taller teenaged son isn't available to help, so the Command Hooks would be easier. (Love Command Hooks, have them all over my house!)

The only way to put the organizer on the closet door would be to use Command Hooks... the closet doors are on sliders, not hinges, so there isn't an easy way to hook over the top of the closet door.

RFerrington, on royal what door do you do...bathroom??? can you do it on the closet doors? thanks

It depends on the closet. Usually it will go on the inside of the closet door so it is out of sight. On the allure we were in the new "added" 1 BR Aqua Theater Suite and I had to hang it on the outside of the closet b/c there wasn't clearance on the back side of the closet door. It was not attractive but it was effective.

I have never had to hang it on the bathroom door....but Isolde if I had to.

I have never seen magnetic hooks and I do not think magnetic would hold what I put in my behind the door shoe organizer. I use the command hooks and they are perfect.

Use one or two hooks? The magnets I have are rated at 9 pounds so if you are hanging with two of them you could have 18 pounds in the holder.

I have a five dollar one from Walmart. It attaches over the clothes pole in the closet. It has Velcro strips. Doesn't need hooks or magnets. I found it great for shoes and accessories. I always knew where everything was. Used it on a fourteen day cruise.

This year I am bringing duct tape and attaching regular sticky hooks to the duct tape which will stick to door. The sticky adhesive from the duct tape can easily be removed with baby oil. No damage and all is good;)

Here's just one example of magnetic hooks with holding power of up to 26.5 lbs each: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73796&cat=1,42363,42348

I used one last cruise but can't remember how I held it up lol. It was so worth it didn't have to keep answering where stuff was as DH never knows where stuff is so definitely getting for this trip going to get for my daughter with the little ones too

I used one last cruise but can't remember how I held it up lol. It was so worth it didn't have to keep answering where stuff was as DH never knows where stuff is so definitely getting for this trip going to get for my daughter with the little ones too

I travel with 16yo DS, and it's the same with him.... even though there are lots of cubbies to store stuff in (for those not familiar, there are narrow shelves behind the side mirrors at the vanity, like medicine cabinet shelves), that would mean it's all out of sight and would require a scavenger hunt to find everything.

With the OTDSO, I have a section that is just for DH's stuff (cell phone, charger, sunglasses, SeaPass/lanyard, earbuds, hair goop, antiperspirant, aftershave, hairbrush, etc.), a section that is just for my stuff (similar to DH's list plus hairpins, barrettes, ponytail holders, and hairsticks for buns), and a shared section for things like body powder (as DS says, NOTHING ever fully dries in the Caribbean!), sunscreen, Q-tips, ibuprofen / decongestant / allergy tablets, hand lotion, fingernail clippers, etc.

I also leave one pocket for things like excursion tickets/info (I book independently prior to the trip rather than using ship excursions), invites to the Meet-n-Mingle, etc.

My OTDSO has clear pockets, and everyone can easily see what is in which section. By having one side be my stuff and one stuff be his stuff (and I keep that the same on each cruise), that minimizes the search time, too -- you know the rough vicinity of what you're looking for before you even start.

The bathroom door is the first thing you come to as you enter the room, so it's just automatic to dump the sunglasses and Seapass there as you enter, then pick them up again on your way out the door.

It may not "look attractive", but it's generally only me and DS who see it, and that's only when we're right by the bathroom door. We don't entertain in our room, other than participating in the Cabin Crawl.... and everyone who has seen in during a Cabin Crawl has commented on how handy it was to have everything available at a glance! :)

With the exception of my first cruise, I have always taken an over the door shoe organizer. I put all kinds of things in mine from lotion, to hairspray to brushes...and of course shoes. I like that it keeps it tucked away and everything organized. The counters in the bathrooms on many cruise ships are very narrow and tiny and I don't like clutter. This keeps everything put in one place!

Mine hangs with hooks that go over the door.