Princess A "Juggernaut" says Stein Kruse CEO

need2cruisesoon

From the story:

"' I see Princess continuing to grow. I don't see Princess limited to just being a cruise line. You can brand other things. The brand works in Asia, the UK, Australia, China,' Kruse said."

Interesting.

I guess the cost cutting can now end as he boasts all the cruise lines are a huge success.

He does state they will deal with more redundancies so I guess more people / staff to cut.

" For us now, it's continuing the journey and advancing new technology that can eliminate some redundancies, and tightening some of the organizational structure."

"Princess leads international growth in booming markets like China,"

"The 2017 new build Majestic Princess is being tailored for Chinese cruisers."

RCI has already positioned a new build the Quantum the 1st of her class permanently in China a year ago.

All cruise lines are doing well in the current environment of increased boomer demand, cuts to staff and amenities plus cheap oil so cruising will continue to boom in spite of managements best efforts.

A ship load of corp speak with this guy taking credit for all the success?

Edited by baldercash

Interesting article about HAL, Princess, P&O and Seaborne. I would be interested in what "Princess not being just a cruise line" means. I did not realize P&O had such old ships so it certainly is time for some new ones down under. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

... I would be interested in what "Princess not being just a cruise line" means... It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

IMHO Princess may be able to morph themselves to become more of a all-encompassing vacation/education/travel/entertainment provider. They could be considering all sorts of things such as more extensive land tours combined with a cruise and air, maybe resorts in attractive and/or exotic locations, and so on.

They already do the land package in Alaska. It makes sense to expand this into other areas or to do something similar to "Adventures by Disney." ABD is very costly and while they have had some struggles with some of their "land only" programs, their programs that are tie ins to the cruises always sell out.

They already do the land package in Alaska.

Yes, well aware of the land packages in Alaska. They are on my list.

I said "more extensive land tours", envisioning places like Africa where you could do a multi-week overland safari which leads to joining a ship or vice versa. That would be unlike the overnight excursions already offered where you leave the ship for a couple of nights leaving your cabin paid for but empty. Being longer and more involved, it would also be different from the pre- and post-stay packages already offered.

It could also be something like coupling a river cruise with a land package and an ocean cruise in Europe and Asia. Don't know if they'd partner with an existing river cruise line that doesn't compete, purchasing an existing line or start with new builds. The last two options would easily allow them to use the Princess name.

Princess resorts - don't know what scale would work. Could be something as extensive as Atlantis, something as small as Princess Cays with accommodations or something in between like the all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Heck, if you're talking about branding, it could even be their own airline but I doubt it as existing airlines are having so much difficulty these days.

Anyway, think about the Virgin brand. They are in space, records, airlines, trains and more. Think travel, entertainment and lifestyle for Virgin. Princess could be right in the same market space.

They do land packages now in various parts of the world, but I think all are add-ons for cruises. No reason they could not run them without the current cruise requirement

Yes, that is likely one of their considerations.

These comments aren't exactly coming from an un-biased source. The guy is CEO of Holland America. Though when I read the title of the post, I thought there was a company called Stein Kruse and cruise had just been spelled wrong:o

Now I just think that Stein Kruse is simply the coolest name for the CEO of Holland America... but it would still make a great name for a cruise line;)

These comments aren't exactly coming from an un-biased source. The guy is CEO of Holland America. Though when I read the title of the post, I thought there was a company called Stein Kruse and cruise had just been spelled wrong:o

Now I just think that Stein Kruse is simply the coolest name for the CEO of Holland America... but it would still make a great name for a cruise line;)

Technically,he is CEO of the Holland America Group which includes Princess as one of its lines.

These comments aren't exactly coming from an un-biased source.

Of course he's biased. Articles like this serve a purpose. They can "telegraph" upcoming moves for both the general public and stock market analysts to consider. Mr. Kruise is only going to put the corporation's best face forward. On the other hand, sometimes things like this are "red-herrings", intended to mislead the competition. So, everything does have to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.

Perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought CCL was the main holder of HAL, Princess, Carnival, P&O, Seabourn and more. :confused:

Yep.

But not CCL it's Carnival Corp, which owns among other things CCL, Princess, HAL and P&O.

Edited by GUT2407

Perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought CCL was the main holder of HAL, Princess, Carnival, P&O, Seabourn and more. :confused:

Yep.

But not CCL it's Carnival Corp, which owns among other things CCL, Princess, HAL and P&O.

You're all right. Carnival Corp owns it all but what's confusing is the executive reporting structure. Holland America Group (HAG :D) is headed by Stein Kruise. The presidents of the lines within HAG (Princess, Seabourn and some others) report to Mr. Kruise. Mr. Kruise and the presidents of the lines not in HAG report to the head of Carnival Corporation.

Edited by beg3yrs

It's exciting to learn that 2 more ships will debut following the Majestic! I hope they come to the U.S.!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Seems from reading the article that one new build is going to Australia.

'P&O Cruises is synoymous with cruising in Australia,' he said, adding that while other companies have moved in and out, P&O is there year-round and sails from diverse homeports including Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Auckland, New Zealand.

P&O's five ships are refurbished and perform well, but the youngest is 20 years old. 'To really take advantage of the power of that brand and unleash its potential,' Kruse advocated a newbuild. It will be an 'incredible ship' that leads the field in Australia for the next decade, he said. 'I'm very bullish on Australia.'

Yep.

Technically could be correct, CCL is the stock symbol for Carnival Corp, but I know that people often use CCL to describe the Carnival Cruise Line so I know where you were going with it.

You're all right. Carnival Corp owns it all but what's confusing is the executive reporting structure. Holland America Group (HAG :D) is headed by Stein Kruise. The presidents of the lines within HAG (Princess, Seabourn and some others) report to Mr. Kruise. Mr. Kruise and the presidents of the lines not in HAG report to the head of Carnival Corporation.

Wow! That's interesting! Thanks for furthering my knowledge.

I would love to see their reporting structure!! :D

Yes, well aware of the land packages in Alaska. They are on my list.

I said "more extensive land tours", envisioning places like Africa where you could do a multi-week overland safari which leads to joining a ship or vice versa. That would be unlike the overnight excursions already offered where you leave the ship for a couple of nights leaving your cabin paid for but empty. Being longer and more involved, it would also be different from the pre- and post-stay packages already offered.

It could also be something like coupling a river cruise with a land package and an ocean cruise in Europe and Asia. Don't know if they'd partner with an existing river cruise line that doesn't compete, purchasing an existing line or start with new builds. The last two options would easily allow them to use the Princess name.

Princess resorts - don't know what scale would work. Could be something as extensive as Atlantis, something as small as Princess Cays with accommodations or something in between like the all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Heck, if you're talking about branding, it could even be their own airline but I doubt it as existing airlines are having so much difficulty these days.

Anyway, think about the Virgin brand. They are in space, records, airlines, trains and more. Think travel, entertainment and lifestyle for Virgin. Princess could be right in the same market space.

Princess used to have a resort in California--the San Diego Princess Resort, in Mission Bay. I stayed there back in the 90's. The Seawitch logo was everywhere, and there was a model of the original Pacific Princess in the lobby...and remember Carnival Airlines?

Hi All

Overall I find the statement rather sad, HAL looks like the Premium brand,

Princess is going to be the mass market brand, with Virgin cruises due to start

soon Princess may well follow a similar model, most Virgin things are often

marketing brands with Virgin holding 51% and an experienced operator the rest,

so Princess Ships, Planes, Trains, Condoms, and Holidays, Banking, Insurance,

yours Shogun

Hi All

Overall I find the statement rather sad, HAL looks like the Premium brand,

Princess is going to be the mass market brand, with Virgin cruises due to start

soon Princess may well follow a similar model, most Virgin things are often

marketing brands with Virgin holding 51% and an experienced operator the rest,

so Princess Ships, Planes, Trains, Condoms, and Holidays, Banking, Insurance,

yours Shogun

I found the wording surrounding HAL to be very carefully worded. Everything was how great Princess was and then when it came to HAL there was some marketing spin. It talked about how well the Koningsdam was received but nothing really about how they're doing as a cruise line. I found it interesting.

Also missing from the article was any mention of plans for reciprocity between the loyalty groups of the various lines, even within the HA Group.

Hey, if reciprocity was allowed within the HAG, all the scary vomiting tattooed wife-beater wearing biker college spring break types from Carnival Cruise Lines would not be included ... :D

Hi All

One thing I find interesting with the way the brands are grouped is

P&O, they are the closest to Princess shared history, ship types etc

But more than that target group is the same apart from P&O is

heavy advertised as British and is grouped with Cunard.

But P&O Aus is grouped with HAL

yours Shogun