Regent's trip protection plan covers only up to $50K

This is a concern..... Our 2018 WC exceeds that per-person limit....so if we used Regent's coverage we have to pay a premium of 20% of the trip cost and they STILL only cover up to $50 K. That's not acceptable. What companies/policies do the rest of you use that DO cover 100% of your per-person prepaid/no refundable trip costs if you had to cancel at the last minute for a "covered reason?"

We also use Steve at trip insurance store.com. He is excellent. He takes all the factors into account. Their customer service has been outstanding. We need a pre-existing condition waiver and he find us a strong company at the most reasonable cost. Travelguard is one of the companies he deals with among others.

Edited by Eager2Travel

Another type of insurance to think about is MedJetAssist. Not that expensive and very helpful if you need it.

Peggy

Yes, we maintain our MJA membership but they would not refund what we paid for our cruise if we had to cancel our trip due to a "covered reason."

I'm 76 and pay $750 for the year.

I fell and broke my hip in Mexico in November. MedJet flew me and my son from Puerta Vallerta to New York in a small Lear Jet with a Paramedic, a Nurse and 2 pilots. I don't know what it would have cost me if I'd had to arrange for it - or paid for it.

Just the facts - everyone gets to do as s/he sees fit. For me, it was money well spent.

Peggy

FYI your regular travel agent should be able to recommend and buy you insurance. And travel insurance is commissionable. So on long, expensive trips my agent will rebate me a portion of the commission. I have used CSA and Travel-guard. I had a major claim once for the full price of a 5 week cruise with CSA and they paid without any hassle.

Most cruise lines as well as airline included paid insurance have terrible benefits.

j

We never buy the cruise line insurance which is very expensive. Travel Guard and CSA are great.

Peggy, a private jet would cost you about 8k per hour without MedJet. We have it and will not leave home without it. Some people rely on AMEX evacuation policy which has too many holes in it and evacuation is just to the nearest hospital facility. MedJet will work with your doctor to get you home to a hospital of his choice. Glad we have it and hope never to use it.

I also buy our insurance from Steve (or one of his agents) at TripInsuranceStore.com. We have been using them for years. They are wonderful and follow through. You get the choice of several companies and they all cover your trip 100% for valid cancellations (medical, etc). I never use the cruise's insurance. It's too expensive and not as good.

We use chase sapphire preferred included trip insurance ($10,000 pp), trip insurance store (Steve) for excess, med jet if traveling outside of Europe, and geo blue for medical and evacuation. Hope this helps.

+1 on TravelGuard - we had to cancel once due to a home catastrophe and they were quick and easy to deal with.

Money well spent - one claim and you're ahead of the game. And if you never have to make a claim, consider yourself blessed.

One thing to check out before you buy trip insurance is the pre-existing condition waiver relating to cancellations for medical reasons. For most trip insurance, there is a waiver only if you buy the insurance within a short time after you make your initial deposit. CSA, and one or two other companies, have policies that will give you a pre-existing condition waiver if you purchase the insurance within a short time (I believe, a 24 hours for CSA) after making the FINAL payment. We use CSA, even though it costs more than some other insurance companies, because we don't have to buy it until we make our final payment.

One thing to check out before you buy trip insurance is the pre-existing condition waiver relating to cancellations for medical reasons. For most trip insurance, there is a waiver only if you buy the insurance within a short time after you make your initial deposit. CSA, and one or two other companies, have policies that will give you a pre-existing condition waiver if you purchase the insurance within a short time (I believe, a 24 hours for CSA) after making the FINAL payment. We use CSA, even though it costs more than some other insurance companies, because we don't have to buy it until we make our final payment.

A simple method for avoiding paying the full amount when making initial deposit to get pre-existing waiver is to buy a minimum amount of coverage at deposit, we bought $500 coverage each for about $100, depends on age and insurance company and then will increase that amount to cover cancellation policies as they occur and only buy full coverage when making final payment. This way if you have to cancel for a non covered situation, you don't lose much money for the insurance and you get full pre-existing coverage.

Another tip to reduce your insurance costs is to find out if your cruise line will refund port fees and taxes as they should so you can reduce your full coverage. We just booked Seabourn and they do refund the port fees and taxes in full for any cancellation and in our case, this amounts to about another $400 saved when we finally increase our coverage to the full non-refundable amount.

Talked to Steve about the above tips and he told me that he developed the minimal coverage at the start and increasing your coverage as the cancellation amount goes up. He really liked my finding out we didn't have to fully cover any refundable amount.

Strongly recommend everyone make sure how much coverage you need and for sure ask if port fees and taxes are refunded upon cancellation as it can save you significant bucks.

We just used the above method for a cruise upon Steve's suggestion. We booked a trip to Alaska while onboard the Mariner in March. We need pre existing condition waiver but weren't positive we would take the cruise. Steve found us insurance at a reasonable cost with a solid company and had us insure just the deposit amount. When we entered penalties before final pay we increased the premium to cover those penalties. We just did final pay and increased insurance to cover full trip. Steve is excellent.

I wish we had know to do this when we booked our Explorer cruise in January. It would have given us more choice for plans with the pre existing waiver at a reduced cost when we buy insurance at final pay.

Does anyone know if Regent returns port fees if cruise isn't taken?