Oooops, just hit the dock in Ketchikan (Several Threads Merged)

Phxazzcruisers

Thank you kindly for your (as always) wonderful insights Despegue. While we truly appreciate the onboard insights from our members.... It's incredible to see that many folks (who were nowhere near Alaska) wish to be judge and jury ! In addition, none of us were on the bridge when this happened. Even if we were ? We would not have the expertise to pass any judgement.

How many of us have have been involved in car accidents, when matters were completely beyond our control ? Did you ever stop to think about actions you took, that made the accident far less than what could have been ? Think about that for a moment.

I'm not about to pass any judgement on what happened in Ketchikan, and feel we should leave that to the experts. What I do know, is that Captain Berdos is a highly experienced and outstanding Captain. I wish him all the very best during this challenging time.

I agree.

I never forget when this happened to us walk down a street by Lake Ontario. The day was warm with a light breeze. All of a sudden a gust of very cold wind came out of no where. There was a cold front that was to come in that day. But the wind and temp change in a second. It went from warm to needing a jacket and windy. It felt like it drop 15 degrees in a second.

That's the day I got to know how fast weather can change.

I agree.

I never forget when this happened to us walk down a street by Lake Ontario. The day was warm with a light breeze. All of a sudden a gust of very cold wind came out of no where. There was a cold front that was to come in that day. But the wind and temp change in a second. It went from warm to needing a jacket and windy. It felt like it drop 15 degrees in a second.

That's the day I got to know how fast weather can change.

Another good point....living on Long Island we tend to take that for granted....but a maritime climate can be very deceiving and turn on a dime!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Oh, the class society will require a more permanent repair as soon as possible, but it does take some time to get everything lined up to make the repair. Hey, Carnival Legend cut a much larger hole down near the waterline, rigged two thruster motors out onto a barge, rigged two new motors back in, and welded the patch back in place in about 30 hours. This repair, above most dock levels, and smaller, should be completed within 8 hours or at most a normal turn around time, with the proper preparation.

Yes, they can be quite productive if everything is in place ready to go. I am just wondering at which port they will do it at.

Guys,

So much blame from so many know all's here...

Unless you were on the bridge at the time of the incident

And have your STCW certificate, may I kindly suggest to refrain from blaming the Navigation crew, including Captain Berdos or the local Pilot? Thank you.

From what I can see, it IS possible that a collision with ms. Zaandam was averted, and it is obvious that the wind was not only very strong, but also gusty.

Berthing a large vessel requires considerable skill, even more so in challenging weather. Just like landing a widebody jet in gusty conditions.

One thing is certain. Celebrity operates a "no blame" policy, as do ALL Safety conscious cruise lines ( and airlines).

The incident will be analysed, conclusions made, recomendations given and if necessary extra or new training given either fleetwide of to those involved on the incident. Lessons will be learned.

Only if there was a DELIBERATE disregard of Standard Operating Procedures and/or Limitations, Diciplinary action will be taken.

Best regards,

Despegue

Captain B747-400

Chairman of TCAS Maritime and Aviation Safety

This.

So many armchair quarterbacks, err captains.

Until you've done the job you can't comment. We saw the same thing on the RCI board after the Anthem storm incident.

Hey guys, what a mess. Will be in Ketchikan in two weeks. Will be wondering what the dock & pier are gonna look like. Sent the video to my bil & friends. Where was the pilot in all this?

Most likely right on the bridge where they are being paid to be.

What's your point?

Alirght, kiddies, for your history lesson do you remember when the QM2 sideswiped the channel wall while departing Port Everglades on her world cruise in January 2006? I watched her departure and return and weather was not a factor. There was considerable conversation over who was at the controls. Coincidentally the much revered Commodore Ron Warwick retired in July of that year. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4645316.stm

So for the folks asking about the dock. We were there 2 days after Infinity on Solstice and the dock took some major damage that will take a while to repair. We could see part of it collapsed into the water.

Fortunately there was still room for us, but they did say that on busier days one of the ships will have to tender now.

Interesting note, when we were in port that morning on Solstice they started doing safety drills for the crew basically re-enacting the scenario the Infinity experienced. Started with a "Bravo Bravo Bravo to Deck 3 forward stores." A couple minutes later there was a "Kilo Kilo Kilo" which I had never heard of before, tried finding it on google on my phone at the time and got nothing but then started seeing crew all over the ship in their life vests and then shortly there after they sounded the entire emergency system normally only heard during the muster drill. So "Kilo Kilo Kilo" is a signal to the crew that something VERY serious has happened that could lead to an abandon ship and for them to report to their muster stations to prepare for passengers if the full abandon ship signal is given. So if you ever hear "Kilo Kilo Kilo" and it isn't a drill then you better prepare for the worst!

So for the folks asking about the dock. We were there 2 days after Infinity on Solstice and the dock took some major damage that will take a while to repair. We could see part of it collapsed into the water.

Fortunately there was still room for us, but they did say that on busier days one of the ships will have to tender now.

Interesting note, when we were in port that morning on Solstice they started doing safety drills for the crew basically re-enacting the scenario the Infinity experienced. Started with a "Bravo Bravo Bravo to Deck 3 forward stores." A couple minutes later there was a "Kilo Kilo Kilo" which I had never heard of before, tried finding it on google on my phone at the time and got nothing but then started seeing crew all over the ship in their life vests and then shortly there after they sounded the entire emergency system normally only heard during the muster drill. So "Kilo Kilo Kilo" is a signal to the crew that something VERY serious has happened that could lead to an abandon ship and for them to report to their muster stations to prepare for passengers if the full abandon ship signal is given. So if you ever hear "Kilo Kilo Kilo" and it isn't a drill then you better prepare for the worst!

:eek::eek::eek:

GREAT! Thanks for the helpful info! I hope we don't hear "kilo kilo kilo" in 2 weeks when we're onboard the Infinity LOL Well it's good to know that they are practicing precautions. It's always good to brush up on that! Thanks for the update I appreciate it :)

So we are sailing on the Infinity from Vancouver on June 19. Which ship scheduled to arrive in Ketchikan during that week will be diverted from the piers and have to tender their passengers to shore?[/qu

The website I use to see what ships are in port shows your ship getting to Ketchikan after the other two ships leave.

I didn't double check the accuracy of that site with any others, so I won't say it is 100%, but the site usually is pretty accurate.

So we are sailing on the Infinity from Vancouver on June 19. Which ship scheduled to arrive in Ketchikan during that week will be diverted from the piers and have to tender their passengers to shore?[/qu

The website I use to see what ships are in port shows your ship getting to Ketchikan after the other two ships leave.

I didn't double check the accuracy of that site with any others, so I won't say it is 100%, but the site usually is pretty accurate.

Dodger can you share that site? We sail out of Vancouver on the 26th and I would like to check also.

This is a site I use

http://www dot cruisetimetables dot com/

Sam

I remember Infinity fondly as it was the first cruise my wife and I took. We sailed from Vancouver on June 1, 2001 so we were in Ketchikan at about the same time of the month as this incident took place. One of my memories of Alaska was how fast the weather changed - from rain/snow in Juneau to warm sunshine in Ketchikan.

On our cruise we experienced a mechanical problem with one of the stern azipods. As a result Celebrity had to cancel subsequent cruises and put the ship in dry dock at Victoria, BC.

Infinity is a wonderful ship and got us hooked on cruising.:)

Everyone also has to keep in mind that even at the start of the video filming, it was to late to do any major changes in ship direction/speed. Ships don't have that much power or can move that much water to have a major change in velocity. Yes they can scrub off a few knots but becasue of the ships mass, it takes a long time to change anything. She started docking back in the channel and was pretty much committed.