Sushi on 5 for all of X

I think there might be, Gut.

Speciality restaurants don't seem to be all that popular on cruises with a high percentage of Aussies onboard.

That said, there's always been a lot of demand for Salt on the P&o ships.

Thanks, Mic.

Note the fine print down the bottom - those prices don't include the 18% gratuity.

I reckon you'd end up paying around $20 incl grats, for lunch there. That's double what it cost when it was Bistro on Five.

The menu looks interesting though. Might try it for our embarkation lunch when we board Solstice next February.

Thanks for the menu MicC. Do you know if the 18% grat added is for the whole amount or only for the drinks (a la bars on the ship)?

It looks a bit like Izumi on RCI, though there you paid a 'cover charge' when prebooking which was deducted from whatever the total cost was. Unfortunately they had a more limited menu for lunches.

We loved the free sushi as a snack in the buffet each night from 5.30pm but that is no longer and no way would we go to a paid restaurant for a full sushi style meal on the ship. Shame. Enhance something so that its no longer useful. Surely they saw the Princess experiment not work?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks, Mic.

Note the fine print down the bottom - those prices don't include the 18% gratuity.

I reckon you'd end up paying around $20 incl grats, for lunch there. That's double what it cost when it was Bistro on Five.

The menu looks interesting though. Might try it for our embarkation lunch when we board Solstice next February.

I would think it (the 18%) is only on the drinks (page 2).

Thanks for the menu MicC. Do you know if the 18% grat added is for the whole amount or only for the drinks (a la bars on the ship)?

It looks a bit like Izumi on RCI, though there you paid a 'cover charge' when prebooking which was deducted from whatever the total cost was. Unfortunately they had a more limited menu for lunches.

I would think it is just on the drinks like elsewhere on the ship. I am not sure of portion sizes so I really cannot tell if it is worth it or not. I will just have to try it to find out.

We loved the free sushi as a snack in the buffet each night from 5.30pm but that is no longer and no way would we go to a paid restaurant for a full sushi style meal on the ship. Shame. Enhance something so that its no longer useful. Surely they saw the Princess experiment not work?

They have piloted the new Sushi restaurant on several ships and are happy enough to roll it out to the whole fleet. Perhaps the quality is there to warrant popularity.

Edited by MicCanberra

I am not a Sushi person, Sea Weed and boiled rice, Ugh. 500 gm T Bone Steak, Pepper Sauce with Chips and Salad is my forte and the odd Mixed Grill, plus of course the 'Full English Brekkie daily on the ships. !!

Sushi is not real food in my opinion anyway, sounds too healthy.

Edited by NSWP

I am not a Sushi person, Sea Weed and boiled rice, Ugh. 500 gm T Bone Steak, Pepper Sauce with Chips and Salad is my forte and the odd Mixed Grill, plus of course the 'Full English Brekkie daily on the ships. !!

Keep the salad, but the rest sounds good.

I don't mind it every now and then but I wouldn't want it everyday.

They have piloted the new Sushi restaurant on several ships and are happy enough to roll it out to the whole fleet. Perhaps the quality is there to warrant popularity.

People report the Sushi restaurant on Diamond Princess (I haven't checked other ships) is always empty.

People report the Sushi restaurant on Diamond Princess (I haven't checked other ships) is always empty.

Perhaps the passengers on the X ships are into it more than the passengers on the Diamond. The Diamond passengers may find that they do not want to pay those prices for sushi (which they may have at home all the time) and want some western dishes instead).

Perhaps the passengers on the X ships are into it more than the passengers on the Diamond. The Diamond passengers may find that they do not want to pay those prices for sushi (which they may have at home all the time) and want some western dishes instead).

I assume you were thinking of passengers on Diamond's Japanese itineraries, but I think that statement is a fair comment for Aus/NZ passengers as well. Good sushi is easy to come by locally so why would people pay high prices for it on a cruise when they have plenty of free food choices.

For me, yes, I'd pay for it for an embarkation lunch on Solstice rather than battling for food and a table in the buffet. I doubt I'll try it again on Princess, especially on Sun where I can get a very nice, simple lunch for free from the International cafe, or more substantial fare in the MDR. And, since we love the ambiance of MDR dining in the evenings, sushi wouldn't tempt me for dinner.

I assume you were thinking of passengers on Diamond's Japanese itineraries, but I think that statement is a fair comment for Aus/NZ passengers as well. Good sushi is easy to come by locally so why would people pay high prices for it on a cruise when they have plenty of free food choices.

For me, yes, I'd pay for it for an embarkation lunch on Solstice rather than battling for food and a table in the buffet. I doubt I'll try it again on Princess, especially on Sun where I can get a very nice, simple lunch for free from the International cafe, or more substantial fare in the MDR. And, since we love the ambiance of MDR dining in the evenings, sushi wouldn't tempt me for dinner.

I was referring to the Princess passengers generally (Asia or Australia itineraries). I too will still utilise it rather than the Buffet madhouse.

Perhaps the passengers on the X ships are into it more than the passengers on the Diamond.

Celebrity has always offered sushi in the buffet as well.

That said, Sushi on 5 does have some non-sushi items as well.

That it does. ;) I foresee Ramen in my future :D. Mind you, it better be good, we have some seriously good Ramen restaurants in Sydney - see today's Good Food in the SMH.

But I read that with the new Sushi restaurants, there will be no more free sushi in the buffet.

Correct, and while there were complaints that the standard wasn't great, it was still well received. Sushi on 5 was trialled and it doing so well that they are going fleet wide, which must mean they are happy with the attendance so far.

But I read that with the new Sushi restaurants, there will be no more free sushi in the buffet.

It makes sense that they would get rid of it in the Buffet if they want patronage in the restuarant.

Correct, and while there were complaints that the standard wasn't great, it was still well received. Sushi on 5 was trialled and it doing so well that they are going fleet wide, which must mean they are happy with the attendance so far.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens when Celebrity ships are in our waters.

It makes sense that they would get rid of it in the Buffet if they want patronage in the restuarant.

Well that spoils our post port routine. We did this in the buffet every night. For free. I dont eat sushi but my husband does so no way would we dine and pay for it.