Loyal to Royal, but trying out NCL

NECruiser83

I will be going on my 4th RCI cruise in November 2016, and just recently booked Norwegian Getaway for November 2017. I am super excited to give NCL a try, I have heard great things about the line! I am also very much looking forward to checking out the new Harvest Caye private island in Belize.

I was just curious to hear from people that have sailed both Royal and NCL, and find out the differences and similarities between the 2 lines. What are the must "do's" on the Getaway in regards to dining and activities?

Please do not turn this post into a Royal vs NCL debate, although until now I have only sailed Royal, I am excited to try a new line, and over time I would love to also check out Carnival, Celebrity, MSC, Princess, and any others out there that have great itineraries and prices (price is the reason I am not sure I will ever be able to sail with Disney)

I am just curious to hear from people who have sailed both, what their thoughts are. Thanks in advance, and happy cruising!!!

We are Diamond on Royal and Elite Plus on Celebrity and did our first NCL cruise last year on the Getaway and we LOVED it!!!! Getaway and NCL in general. So much so that I came home and cancelled a cruise on my beloved Celebrity Reflection and booked Escape instead. After sailing both we're going on Getaway again in September. Personally, and this was off our second Oasis cruise....I felt the food had gone downhill. Perhaps its just that I was very familiar with the menus.

Anyway, what we loved about Getaway: A MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day, there are coffee machines in the cabins, you can get a cooked to order hamburger 24/7 at O'Sheehans (and not paying extra like at Johnny Rockets where the hamburgers are precooked anyway...), that there are three MDRs, the large one aft and two smaller ones that seem like a specialty restaurant (all three have the same menus), the Waterfront area....not only providing al fresco dining (if you desire) for some of the specialty restaurants but also comfy couches and tables to sit in the shade and stare at the ocean or read.... Love the beverage packages that seem available on all sailings...Royal certainly never offers them as a perk. The entertainment!! Much better IMHO. Getaway will have the two best shows I've seen anywhere: Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor. I think just trying a different ship, a different feel, different menus and different entertainment is always a good idea. You will love Getaway!

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. We also have to beverage package, and also got thr kids sail free promo, so we are in a mini suite, with the drink package, for about $700 less than our Harmony balcony in November. I have heard wonderful things about the food on NCL. I enjoy the formal nights, does NCL have them? I'm thinking with freestyle they don't, but wasn't sure.

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. We also have to beverage package, and also got thr kids sail free promo, so we are in a mini suite, with the drink package, for about $700 less than our Harmony balcony in November. I have heard wonderful things about the food on NCL. I enjoy the formal nights, does NCL have them? I'm thinking with freestyle they don't, but wasn't sure.

No formal nights on NCL. I have been only on breakaway but have reservations for several others. My biggest complaint about the ship was the pool area-- woefully insufficient. I didn't like the food in the MDR but greatly enjoyed the specialty dining. Perks are great! Entertainment was much better than Royal.

I totally agree about trying multiple lines-- I found that I've enjoyed cruises on NCL, Royal, and celebrity. Small differences, but very similar to one another (pretty much the same within lines-- there's no comparing Rhapsody to Anthem).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While there are no "formal" nights on NCL, I saw people dressed up who wanted to. People who like dressing up and getting photos or celebrating an occasion. So you would really not look out of place dressing up or not!

I have heard the same about the pools, and although that is a bummer, with having a port intensive cruise (3 out of the 4 are brand new to me), only 2 sea days. Looking forward to the ropes course and waterslides so hopefully pool won't be too much of a disappointment. I think we will "dress up" one night. We enjoy it as we don't have many reasons at home to get all dolled up, and I enjoy it! I won't break out a sequined evening gown, but I am glad to hear we won't be out of place going on the dressy side one night

We are in the same position, 3 RCL and never thought we'd go on another line but are going on NCL Breakaway in Oct. to Bermuda. The price was right, free drink package, and we love Bermuda. Our son was free also. We can't wait to try NCL.

We are in the same position, 3 RCL and never thought we'd go on another line but are going on NCL Breakaway in Oct. to Bermuda. The price was right, free drink package, and we love Bermuda. Our son was free also. We can't wait to try NCL.

We are excited too!! I still love Royal, but I am the type that needs to shop around. How do I know if I like Royal the best, if I haven't tried any others? And you can't beat NCL's promotions.

NCL does have a dress up night. Norwegian Night Out is the dress up evening onboard. While there is no requirement to dress up, they have made a point to provide an official option. My mother and I tended to dress a bit for dinner and it lead to some very nice photo ops that we were able to use in the photo books we decided to purchase. Frankly more and more I find it easier to toss on a dress and sandals and go.

NCL does have a dress up night. Norwegian Night Out is the dress up evening onboard. While there is no requirement to dress up, they have made a point to provide an official option. My mother and I tended to dress a bit for dinner and it lead to some very nice photo ops that we were able to use in the photo books we decided to purchase. Frankly more and more I find it easier to toss on a dress and sandals and go.

Oh that's good to know! It's nice to have a dedicated night for the people who do like to dress up, yet the people that prefer not to dress up have no obligation or pressure, seems like the best of both worlds!

Oh that's good to know! It's nice to have a dedicated night for the people who do like to dress up, yet the people that prefer not to dress up have no obligation or pressure, seems like the best of both worlds!

It works well. On the Norwegian Night Out or Dress Up or Not nights they have photographers set up and often the Captain is in the atrium at one; you can get a nice pic of your family with the Captain.

Dressing up isn't normally our thing so we enjoy NCL's Freestyle atmosphere. One thing that is notably lacking on NCL is any kind of judgement about whether your formal wear is not formal enough, or shock that you wore white before Memorial Day. You will still get plenty of compliments from staff and other guests too (at least that's our experience).

We have taken 5 NCL cruises and 1 RC. I have to admit that the Oasis of the Seas was my favourite ship of all time. I absolutely loved the layout, the "neighbourhoods", the specialty restaurants and the entertainment was the best I've seen, next to Disney.I look forward to another cruise with them in the future. But we have also enjoyed our NCL cruises too. Their specialty restaurants are very good. We really have not had any complaints. The one thing I do wish NCL had was a dedicated Adult area. We aren't much for the pools, but I do like to relax with a book. It's pretty hard to find a quiet area. My daughter has taken two solo cruises on NCL and she loves the dedicated solo rooms. That is something that NCL does really well. On the other hand, the Epic had the weirdest layout of any ship I've been on. I really didn't like it at all.

We have taken 5 NCL cruises and 1 RC. I have to admit that the Oasis of the Seas was my favourite ship of all time. I absolutely loved the layout, the "neighbourhoods", the specialty restaurants and the entertainment was the best I've seen, next to Disney.I look forward to another cruise with them in the future. But we have also enjoyed our NCL cruises too. Their specialty restaurants are very good. We really have not had any complaints. The one thing I do wish NCL had was a dedicated Adult area. We aren't much for the pools, but I do like to relax with a book. It's pretty hard to find a quiet area. My daughter has taken two solo cruises on NCL and she loves the dedicated solo rooms. That is something that NCL does really well. On the other hand, the Epic had the weirdest layout of any ship I've been on. I really didn't like it at all.

Spice H20 is adults only on the newer ships until after dinner. Nice up there and on the EPIC it has a small dip pool.

Spice H20 is adults only on the newer ships until after dinner. Nice up there and on the EPIC it has a small dip pool.

Yep-- breakaway is only spas, but considering I'm doing a school holiday and last time we had 1600 kids, I will live!

Dressing up isn't normally our thing so we enjoy NCL's Freestyle atmosphere. One thing that is notably lacking on NCL is any kind of judgement about whether your formal wear is not formal enough, or shock that you wore white before Memorial Day. You will still get plenty of compliments from staff and other guests too (at least that's our experience).

This is what I think I am really going to like about NCL. Although I am one of the people that enjoy getting dressed up, I totally feel that no one should feel obligated to do so. It is your vacation, that everyone spends their own hard earned money for, you should be able to enjoy it the way YOU feel fit. I am not one to get offended or upset if people are not dressed up on "formal" night. Don't even get me started on "those people" I am just glad we won't receive similar looks for getting dressed up one night! Thank you everyone for the feedback, we are very excited, even if the NCL cruise is still a year and a half away! 😆

I am looking forward to Harmony in November, my first cruise in 10 years!! I am just in awe when I look at her photos. It is nice to hear from people that enjoy both lines, as opposed to hearing why one is better than the other. I truly feel I am going to thoroughly enjoy both, and in my opinion, the perks of the Crown & Anchor society are not great enough to keep me cruising solely with RC.

Enjoying reading all these comments as I too am trying NCL for the first time in January 2017. Cruised Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity and love them all.....just depends on what cruise "mood" I am in as to which I book. Thanks for starting the thread, I am learning a lot.

I just don't like the idea of having to pay a cover charge to sit on a deck chair.

I just don't like the idea of having to pay a cover charge to sit on a deck chair.

You have to pay to get in H2O?? I never knew that, and that is crazy!! I have a 7 year old, so I probably will not be able t utilize this space, but this is not something you should have to pay extra for, unless there are some perks that come along with it.

We are excited too!! I still love Royal, but I am the type that needs to shop around. How do I know if I like Royal the best, if I haven't tried any others? And you can't beat NCL's promotions.

Yeah I agree, how would you know? We are gonna try Anthem of the seas too in the future. Gonna do both lines. We sail from the NY/NJ area all of the time so its these two lines for the most part because we like the huge ships.

You have to pay to get in H2O?? I never knew that, and that is crazy!! I have a 7 year old, so I probably will not be able t utilize this space, but this is not something you should have to pay extra for, unless there are some perks that come along with it.

There is no extra charge to use Spice H2O. The other poster was mistaken about that.

Background: we are at the "top level" of all three lines you earlier mentioned. So, lots of "experience" ;)

We have "only" cruised NCL for the past 12 months and have had a wonderful experience each time. As to the formal, there is a night where you are "invited" to dress and then the Captain is available for a handshake and picture. However, you can dress casual and still have the picture... just gives the "opportunity.

And... you will never feel uncomfortable if you chose to dress "up" especially if going to a specialty restaurant.

Have to admit... while we did enjoy our many, many "formal nights" .... we do not miss them ;-)