Formal nights on princess

ggglo

We have not traveled on princess for quite a while. We are considering the transatlantic on Regal in September. Does princess still have formal nights? So many cruise lines have changed to country club casual, not sure about princess.

If they do, how many nights on 14 day transatlantic?

We have not traveled on princess for quite a while. We are considering the transatlantic on Regal in September. Does princess still have formal nights? So many cruise lines have changed to country club casual, not sure about princess.

Based on this chart from the Princess FAQs there will be 3 formal evenings:

Length of Cruise Number of Formal Evenings

1-4 Days 0

5-6 Days 1

7-13 Days 2

14-20 Days 3

21-28 Days 4

29+ Days 5 minimum

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Yes Princess has formal nights . On a 14 day cruise you'll probably have 4 formal nights and 10 resort casual. Yes most people dress for formal night. Some don't dress even for resort casual and eat all meals in the Horizon court.:)

Formal nights on Princess are way less formal than they once were.

In the MDR on formal nights you'll see quite a few men with long pants and a long sleeve shirt with a collar ... either with or without a tie ... no coat. ;)

In the MDR on formal nights you'll see quite a few men with long pants and a long sleeve shirt with a collar ... either with or without a tie ... no coat. ;)

I agree with OCruiser. I have been on 5 Princess cruises in the last 2 years and it is not very formal. I pack a pair of black slacks and 2 fancy blouses and I fit it fine. Actually, those that show up in gowns and tuxes look way over dressed. A nice sun dress is appropriate. I was on a California Coastal over Christmas and I did see more men in dark suits, but then this was Christmas. On one cruise I returned to my cabin after an afternoon of Bingo and the spa to find out I was locked out of my cabin because my card no longer worked. Went to customer service and the line was around the corner so I said the heck with this and went to the MDR anyhow. No one stopped me and my table mates enjoyed my tale of woe.

Diana

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the last four years, DH and I have done three TA cruises. You will find a lot of European passengers and they normally dress more formally than American Passengers.

DH wears a dark suit and tie, while I wear a cocktail dress (sometimes with a facinator, lol). I felt neither over-dressed or under-dressed. Most passengers will follow the guidelines.

In the last four years, DH and I have done three TA cruises. You will find a lot of European passengers and they normally dress more formally than American Passengers.

DH wears a dark suit and tie, while I wear a cocktail dress (sometimes with a facinator, lol). I felt neither over-dressed or under-dressed. Most passengers will follow the guidelines.

Agreed! I choose to follow the guidelines and dress formally and I have never felt overdressed. While I don't check out all the other tables I've found those around me also dressed formally. That being said, if someone showed up in shorts it wouldn't ruin my evening.

I always wonder which ships this is regarding since I see mostly jackets and ties with the occasional tux.

I agree....

We where on a 19 day cruise. We had 4 formal nights in the first 15 days between FLL and LA. The number of formal nights is at the Hotel managers discretion.

Nope, this isn't a 19 day cruise the OP is asking about. It's three formal nights for the MDR on a 14-day one. When those nights occur may be decided by the itinerary and possibly holidays, but the number remains according to the Princess website.

ggglo, your 14 day cruise could well have 4 formal nights (regardless of the website).

Our July 14 day sailing in the Med. apparently includes 4 formal nights and 10 smart casual nights, according to the personaliser, and we have just two sea days.

A lot of the answers you have received relate to Caribbean or less formal Alaskan cruises, and do not apply to the cruise you asked about.

We've done two Transatlantics on Princess, including this last year, and found that almost all people dressed per the suggested guidelines provided by Princess.

There are, perhaps, more men in dress suits and ties than are in tuxedos, likely because if they travel further in Europe a suit is more versatile.

They still do and it should be 3.

I always wonder which ships this is regarding since I see mostly jackets and ties with the occasional tux.

I do to. Even sitting in a bar for a pre dinner drink I see lots of gowns and dark suits.

Pretty much all of them with only a few exceptions like the Pacific Princess. People on that ship seem to enjoy dressing more formally.

A lot of the answers you have received relate to Caribbean or less formal Alaskan cruises, and do not apply to the cruise you asked about.

We've done two Transatlantics on Princess, including this last year, and found that almost all people dressed per the suggested guidelines provided by Princess.

There are, perhaps, more men in dress suits and ties than are in tuxedos, likely because if they travel further in Europe a suit is more versatile.

hi WE travel for the first time on princess star alaska in july >

Am I right in reading the posts that alaska is more smart casual on dress nights ???:confused:

A lot more men follow the guidelines than women. Most women think black pants and a sparkly top are formal, but no where in the guidelines does it say women can were pants unless a dressy pant suit. Its funny how all these formal dress threads are about men when in actuality most women are against the proper dress codes.:confused:

FWIW, this information was posted outside of both MDRs on the Coral recently.

IMG_20160501_084834.jpg.25ab6a1d94be7c4192df7d74f6337683.jpg

Edited by ar1950

They still have formal nights. Some dress up, lots don't. It only determines getting you into the MDR. Most of the time it's smart casual..slacks/collared shirt/decent shoes. A sport coat & tie will pass muster on formal nights.

They also have the anytime dining option, correct? On the formal nights, are the rules as strict for that in the MDR as with the traditional dining option? Or do they have a "special" section for us? :p

They also have the anytime dining option, correct? On the formal nights, are the rules as strict for that in the MDR as with the traditional dining option? Or do they have a "special" section for us? :p

Formal nights are in the dining rooms including Anytime dining. On some ships Anytime and Traditional are mixed in one MDR. As Anytime becomes more popular they have started to mix the two in on dining room. Most specialty restaurants don't adhere to the requirement of formal night.

It's been a few years since we've cruised, but we will be cruising next year on a 10 day repo cruise from NY to the Caribbean aboard the Regal, and for the first time I think that we will skip formal night because my husband doesn't want the extra baggage of suit and shoes. Now, I am not upset, and while I do enjoy formal night it is not at all important to me so we will not be going to the MDR.

Now, will it be harder to book a specialty restaurant for a formal night? Also, we have never eaten in the buffet for dinner. Would it have a similar menu?

And, last but not least, will we be welcome in most venues that night if we are dressed smart casual? We aren't the type to walk around in shorts and a tee shirt at night on a cruise ship. We are also rule followers. :)

On all my recent Princess cruises, I have been encouraged by some of the waitstaff to attend the formal nights even though I made it clear to them I only brought slacks and dress shirts.

All the confusion about formal nights exists on these boards, but NOT on the ships I have sailed.

I was also told by waitstaff that my sweater and slacks would be fine for formal night. I opted for the buffet.