Seapass card is outside stateroom in a sealed envelope???

BOARDING:

Have your SetSail pass in hand. You will use your SetSail Pass to board the ship.

Your SetSail pass will be scanned by the shipboard security officers prior to your boarding.

YOUR SEAPASS CARD:

Your SeaPass card will be placed outside your stateroom in a sealed envelope with your name on it.

Your SeaPass card will be used to open your stateroom, to activate power in your stateroom, for onboard purchases and for identification to get on/off the ship at every port.

What the heck do they mean? The card is stuck to the door or something? I'm not comfortable with the card sitting around for anyone to take.

Someone put me at ease please.

This is only on certain ships...the new ones. (Quantum, Anthem, Ovation, Harmony)

One card is placed in an envelope in the mail slot outside your door. The cards for the remaining family members are left inside the room.

I haven't read about, or heard of, a problem with cards going missing over the past year and a half since this program was implemented on certain ships.

No worries.

Note: you need to place your card in the power slot when you are in your room in order for the AC and lights to be activated. We brought an old card (from a grocery store loyalty program) to leave in the slot throughout the cruise.

Edited by DonnaK

This is only on certain ships. (Quantum, Anthem, etc.)

One card is placed in the mail slot outside your door. The cards for the remaining family members are left inside the room.

I haven't read about, or heard of, a problem with cards going missing over the past year and a half since this program was implemented on certain ships.

No worries.

No worries?

I've had magnets stolen off my door.....A card with charging privileges seems very tempting.....

Note: you need to place your card in the power slot when you are in your room in order for the AC and lights to be activated. We brought an old card (from a grocery store loyalty program) to leave in the slot throughout the cruise.

What???? This is a joke right? ;)

No worries?

I've had magnets stolen off my door.....A card with charging privileges seems very tempting.....

This is before the cruise starts. There are lots of stewards in the hall monitoring comings and goings.

I've been on 3 cruises with this system, and it was really no big deal.

Whether there haven't been any problems with this method yet ;)...I still think it's crazy :eek: I want my SeaPass (s) handed to me at terminal checkin. Is this because they are using an IPad type checkin in some terminals for certain ships....still a bad idea regardless.

This is before the cruise starts. There are lots of stewards in the hall monitoring comings and goings.

Great...another thing for the cabin stewards to have to do, now their "hall monitor's" too. How do they know who you are yet and what someone might be up to :eek:

no, it's an energy saving system. You can bypass it by leaving an inactive card in the slot for the length of the cruise.

I think we all know about this system (that's used in some hotel's too)...it's the delivery of the card that's a concern here ;)

No worries?

Your picture comes up when using it and I imagine it wouldn't be good for very long if it was taken by someone else before the occupants arrived especially if used for a fraudulent charge.

Remember you are onboard a ship with plenty of security cameras so it wouldn't take them a long time to determine who had used a stolen card for an onboard charge as they have a shot of all guests on file. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

I think we all know about this system (that's used in some hotel's too)...it's the delivery of the card that's a concern here ;)
:confused::confused:

I was commenting on (and I quoted) the previous poster who asked if this was a joke. So apparently we all don't know about this system, which is why I explained it to him.

Hi all, when we were on our Anthem cruise we met a couple who accidently entered the wrong room, They unpacked their carryons and were having a glass of wine when the real couple arrived and were quite pissed. The couple that entered the room had switched up a room number and entered room 06 instead of 60. They did not read the name on the card. In their excitement they had made an honest mistake.;)

Donna, I love your idea of using a grocery store card! That is brilliant!!

Edited by Ocean Dancer

no, it's an energy saving system. You can bypass it by leaving an inactive card in the slot for the length of the cruise.

On our two Anthem cruises we put in an inactive card also and simply lifted it up out of the slot slightly when leaving the cabin to turn off all lights.

Edited by robtulipe

This is only on certain ships...the new ones. (Quantum, Anthem, Ovation, Harmony)

One card is placed in an envelope in the mail slot outside your door. The cards for the remaining family members are left inside the room.

No worries.

Does this mean that if you don't have an old card to put in the slot, and you are out of your room all day, there will be no air conditioning in the room all day? It seems like rooms facing the sun could get quite hot.

What is the perceived advantage to this system? On other lines, we receive our cards as we check in. Very quick and efficient, and I'm just wondering what benefits the new system offers,

It allows for very mobile check in agents with iPads. I've read here these are even in the parking garage exit area at Port Liberty in Bayonne, NJ.

Edited by robtulipe

It allows for very mobile check in agents with iPads. I've read here these are even in the parking garage exit area at Port Liberty in Bayonne, NJ.

Is that for all ships? Our first RCI cruise will be next March on the Allure.

Does this mean that if you don't have an old card to put in the slot, and you are out of your room all day, there will be no air conditioning in the room all day? It seems like rooms facing the sun could get quite hot.

It didn't appear to turn off the AC, only the lights, on our two 12 nights Anthem cruises we did this year, which went as far south as Barbados on the eastern and Roatan on the western itinerary. Our cabin temperature remained constant whether the card was in or out of that slot.

Edited by robtulipe

Yes. The first time I was on a ship that utilized this system, I fashioned a card for the slot out of the paper announcements that they leave in the room (some were on heavier card stock as opposed to regular paper). Before I thought of that, I left my card in the slot and made sure that my husband had his card whenever we went out, but then I had to stay with him and use his card around the ship throughout the day

It didn't appear to turn off the AC, only the lights, on our two 12 nights Anthem cruises we did this year, which went as far south as Barbados on the eastern and Roatan on the western. Our cabin temperature remained constant whether the card was in or out of the slot.

On our 2 Anthem cruises, the AC blower did turn off when the card was removed. I wonder if it is cabin specific?

Edited by DonnaK