Oasis (class) ... ELEVATORS !

Ok, so we've been on a couple cruises... ;) , and I must say that - at least on sea days - the elevators on the Oasis and Allure were the most crowded we've encountered.

On the Allure last week we were on deck 17 and it was pretty much guaranteed that we'd get to stop on virtually every deck (save #13!) while on our way down. By the time we arrived down on deck 4/5/6 we'd be in the back of the elevator practically plastered against the glass... if we were lucky enough to be in one with a view.

We've had similar experiences on almost every other ship we've sailed on, but never with this kind of predictability !!

There, I feel better now. :D

Tom

I was on Allure last month and besides the crowded elevators, I also observed a few elevators that were just wonky as heck. They'd stop on every floor even when the button wasn't pushed, they would altogether skip floors even if the button was pushed (there was one that refused to go to deck 8), it was weird.

There was also one which just kinda sat on deck 9 and didn't move for 20 or 30 seconds while all of us stood crammed in there wondering if we should try to exit....

I found the Radiance class to be much more crowded. The only time I noticed elevators on the big ships being a unmanageable is immediately after dinner or a show lets out.

More reason to take the stairs if you're able to.

That was our experience as well on both the Oasis and the Allure. We found them to be much better than other ships we had been on, with the exception of peak times. At those times we often found it was better to go UP if you were really heading DOWN and vice-versa.:) Also, the forward elevators are often less crowded than the center elevators (except just after a show in the theater lets out).

I was on Allure last month and besides the crowded elevators, I also observed a few elevators that were just wonky as heck. They'd stop on every floor even when the button wasn't pushed, they would altogether skip floors even if the button was pushed (there was one that refused to go to deck 8), it was weird.

There was also one which just kinda sat on deck 9 and didn't move for 20 or 30 seconds while all of us stood crammed in there wondering if we should try to exit....

That is what I was referring to, a virtually empty elevator stopping at every floor for no reason. Nobody getting off or getting on, just stopped at every floor.

I was on your cruise and noticed the same thing. I never took the elevator down (once or twice to debark) and finally gave up using them going up and just took the stairs.

Our experience as well when we stayed on Deck 17. The Windjammer being on Deck 16 is a big part of the problem, but the forward elevators were a pain too when we used those.

We also experienced some wonky behavior but most of the time it was due to people not knowing which floor they wanted to go to or some kid pressing all the buttons.

I found the Radiance class to be much more crowded. The only time I noticed elevators on the big ships being a unmanageable is immediately after dinner or a show lets out.

More reason to take the stairs if you're able to.

Actually , we found the elevators to be really busy before and after dinner. On the big ships a third bank of elevators would be great

I was on the Allure with you and had the same experience. There were at least two elevators on the port side that stopped at every floor going down from 17. Exasperating at times!

I think we may have crossed paths with you a couple of times (near the elevators). Was it you and your wife, wearing the Pinnacle tag/pin? I did notice those!

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

I'm so happy you wrote this!! I swear the whole "skipping" floors happened a couple times to me on the Allure! I kept blaming the drink package ;)

I 100% agree with other posters about the elevators, at least on the Allure. While I get that it will be crowded at peak times, it seemed to be ALL the time! And we commented that this was the youngest demographics we've ever encountered on a cruise, so it was odd. I don't think I've ever used the stairs as much....quite the work out going from deck 3 to our cabin on 14!! But at least it cancelled a couple calories out.

Ok, so we've been on a couple cruises... ;) , and I must say that - at least on sea days - the elevators on the Oasis and Allure were the most crowded we've encountered.

On the Allure last week we were on deck 17 and it was pretty much guaranteed that we'd get to stop on virtually every deck (save #13!) while on our way down. By the time we arrived down on deck 4/5/6 we'd be in the back of the elevator practically plastered against the glass... if we were lucky enough to be in one with a view.

We've had similar experiences on almost every other ship we've sailed on, but never with this kind of predictability !!

Tom

I think you should demand a refund or compensation of some kind. :D

but seriously we booked the sky loft on Oasis in August and my husband is already complaining about the long elevator ride :eek:

I am very thankful that I am mobile enough to take the stairs. This sounds incredibly scary to have the elevators so packed! I'm on the 12th floor on Allure coming up, so I'll just use the stairs as an excuse to have a second lobster tail at dinner :)

I am sure it is due to kids pushing every floor. No surprise there. Really I would rather walk the stairs and get the exercise instead. I am 66 years old.

My husband won't walk . A lot of the times I beat him.

I know in Vegas at the hotel we stay at the elevators will only go up so many floors. If we are in the upper floors we have to take another elevator that skips out say like the first 20 floors. Makes the trip faster for everyone.

I still take the steps if the hotel allows it. And my husband still refuses to walk.

Tom

On most cruises we avoid the aft elevators for that very reason but...if you're on Deck 17, you're out of luck. Then again, the last time we were on Deck 17, it was hard to motivate ourselves to actually leave that deck. It doesn't get much better than that. :D

On most cruises we avoid the aft elevators for that very reason but...if you're on Deck 17, you're out of luck. Then again, the last time we were on Deck 17, it was hard to motivate ourselves to actually leave that deck. It doesn't get much better than that. :D

Agreed !!

i-p8ZWbLV-XL.jpg

Tom

Okay since we are sharing our elevator issues...

IME, Oasis was bad, but Indy was worse for crowds.

As the elevators get busier the problems get worse. People near the top get on an elevator going UP just so they can get a chance at going DOWN.

People start pushing to get on before the pax in the elevator have a chance to get off.

My weird elevator problem was a bunch of us got on an elevator going up (I checked and others said they saw the up light), pushed our various floors and then the elevator went *DOWN*. Went all the way to 1 without stopping and opened the doors. We were wondering if we wanted to risk riding it back up again, or get off and wait for another one. :eek: I had a nightmare like that once, except the elevator kept falling.

Tom

Tom, I might say that problem comes with having a cabin on the 17th floor.;):p:D

We too have ridden in the elevator up from 5 to 17 or down the same amount of levels to experience what you did. I guess we have done it enough times on the Oasis Class that we have adjusted to knowing at certain times of the day that it is going to happen. We just laugh at how they might fit 20 people into one and continue on our way.

The worst elevator ride we actually had was on our March cruise. A "lady" stepped in to join us and then quickly stepped back out before the elevator door shut. It was my family and another couple in the elevator, so there was a lot of space for her and her male friend. About half a floor later, as the elevator started to smell, we discovered the reason why she got out. She SBD farted, and then fled. We were crop dusted. :eek:

Tom, I might say that problem comes with having a cabin on the 17th floor.;):p:D

We too have ridden in the elevator up from 5 to 17 or down the same amount of levels to experience what you did. I guess we have done it enough times on the Oasis Class that we have adjusted to knowing at certain times of the day that it is going to happen. We just laugh at how they might fit 20 people into one and continue on our way.

The worst elevator ride we actually had was on our March cruise. A "lady" stepped in to join us and then quickly stepped back out before the elevator door shut. It was my family and another couple in the elevator, so there was a lot of space for her and her male friend. About half a floor later, as the elevator started to smell, we discovered the reason why she got out. She SBD farted, and then fled. We were crop dusted. :eek:

wow, that is mean, but funny too

Ok I am stupid. What does SBD mean? I am still laughing at your story!