Tipping question

Tipping is a personal thing. On the Allure in April I left a tip on the table in the MDR when we ate breakfast. I gave the bartender a dollar on almost every drink (had the package) and even tipped others. We always give the steward extra at the beginning to ensure we get ice and plenty of towels and then again at the end. :D

There is no need for you to tip anything beyond the daily gratuities charged by RCI. However, if you believe that you received exceptional service from someone, feel free to provide an additional tip in an amount that YOU feel is appropriate.

My husband and I are confused as to who and when do we tip over and above the gratuties that we pay RC. Thank you

On one of the last evenings your stateroom attendant will leave you some envelopes to tip anyone who you felt went above and beyond. We gave an envelope to our head waiter on the last evening and then left an envelope in our stateroom for our stateroom attendant.

During the cruise we had a couple bartenders that we tipped a little extra each time because of their wonderful service!

Bring a couple of bucks per bag to pay the porter to make sure they don't just throw your bags into the gulf instead of taking them to your room.

Bring $1-2 for each time you feel like you'll call room service.

And that's really all that is "expected" of you. You auto-pay your cabin steward and your MDR staff. Tips are auto charged on all your drinks you order.

You can bring a bit more for the end of your cruise as well. Or maybe someone is really hustling to bring you drinks on the pool deck. Or maybe you feel someone always remembers your favorite drink. Or someone in customer service went above and beyond.

Edited by EntropyGuardian

You do not need to tip additional on the ship. Your gratuities you have paid will cover those. If you choose, you may tip extra if you feel someone has gone above and beyond. If you are in a suite and utilize the concierge, you may want to tip them along with SL servers.

Others you will want to tip are the porters on the dock and any tour guides you have. I am sure if I missed someone, another CC member will chime in.

Your automatic gratuities cover everyone that serves you. For example, waiters who work in the main dining room also work in the Windjammer buffet. So, if you decide to eat in the buffet and not go to the dining room you are covered.

Specialty restaurants include the tip. However, a lot of people do leave extra.

Drinks, including drink packages, include an 18% tip, so again taken care of. People again often tip extra, around $1 a drink, if they like a specific bartender and he takes good care of them.

Room service does not include a tip, so you should tip the delivery person; usually $1-5 depending on the size of the order.

If you are in a suite you should tip the bartenders there - either nightly or at the end of the week - as your drinks are free. Some people tip the concierge if he does a lot for them.

You are, of course, free to tip anyone who you think has provided extra or additional services.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I tip the waiter, asst waiter and drink waiter (even though I don't drink) bc I feel like they work really hard to make sure you are satisfied at every meal. Depending on how many nights the cruise is and the service, I'll divvy up $60 between the three.

I usually tip my room steward a minimum of $40 and have tipped as high as $100.

The porters $1-$2 dollars per bag and tips for any excursions I take.

Tipping is a very personal thing. But I've known people who work off tips for a living so I tend to tip more. One time my bf tipped more than our dinner at Olive Garden bc the waitress was really on point and he wanted to do something nice. I feel if I can help make up for other's who don't tip at all (like those who complain and have the auto-tips removed from their account like many do on Carnival), I will do what I can. These folks are away from home and their loved ones for a very long time.

Edited by erby2283

My husband and I are confused as to who and when do we tip over and above the gratuties that we pay RC. Thank you

Tip over and above the same way you do if you go to a restaurant and want to be extra nice to that exceptional waiter/waitress.

Everything on the ship you will auto pay, except for room service. Drinks, spa etc will all have 18% added to your receipt.

Anything off the ship, to porters (which are not really tipped people) to taxis, cruise tours etc can be tipped extra, but none of that is actually required.

Just think about going out to dinner and paying the bill. I would hope with exceptional service you would tip more and not just the standard tip. Same goes for cruise service should you feel inclined.

We always find great service that we will tip extra.

Edited by brenderlou

Here's some valuable info. In dry dock the bartenders I talked with get a flat $700 a month. While underway, they are guaranteed $1200 a month, plus tips. That is so sad for the work they do. In the Concierge Lounge, you get drinks and hors d'oeuvres free. We leave $5 a night and more if they go above and beyond like scoring a special request bottle of wine or unobtanium mixer. At the end we also give them an envelop with a decent amount. In the suites or DP breakfast, we leave $2 each breakfast. We save all our ones and fives during the year to ensure folks that take care of us, are taken care of by us. If you have it to share, do so. They seriously appreciate it. Waiters and room stewards also get a decent envelop at cruise end. Many send the majority of their money back to families. One concierge bartender was so good to us and know she liked watches, we got her a nice watch at the end of the cruises. Since we do many back2back2backs we are with them a long time. On one cruise, one of the crew that cleaned the restrooms always had one sparkling and always was smiling and pleasant to us. We gave her $20 and she was crying. She never received a tip before. Cash in a crews hand is more personal than the standard gratuity that RCCL sucks out of the passengers to compensate for their meager wages. Plus, they don't have to report it. It's only money. What's in your wallet?

I make sure I give them cash thats money in their pockets I never tip extra on receipts. I budget $150-200 dollars for extra tips per week long sailing. I feel I spent thousands whats a little more.

I know we pay automatic gratuities but thats only $14 bucks divided by three people per day per stateroom / Tables thats assigned to them, and you pay a 18% service fee on just about everything you will buy. I feel sometimes a little extra is worth it to me.

I tip porters I give them about or $2-5 dollars per luggage if i only have one bag $5 dollars and if I had 3 bags i just give an even $10 once I gave a 20 for one bag never had a bag arrive so fast.

I tip the room attendant $20-30 on the first day when they greet us in the room. I request things to be done to my stateroom on the first day like extra pillows and an extra blanket put on the bed. I ask for things to be done every day like extra towels. Also let them know i don't need towel animals things of that nature. I tip them because I'm asking them to do more than whats required even tho they should do it anyways with a smile seems to have a lot bigger smile when i give them that little extra on day one and I get much more personable service.

I tip the guy that walks around pool or in one of the lounges asking for drinks $1-5 If I'm going to be in the same place for a few hours they seem to come by more often and ask me for a drink at the right times. If I don't tip I never see them again.

If I see a bartender I plan on using most of the trip like the one in the solarium i'll drop them a $10-15 right of the bat I spend 80% of the cruise in the solarium and same bartender is assigned their during the day and at night when it closes you will see the same bartender wandering the ship either in one of the lounges or in the promenade during events and for some reason they recognize me and I'm never thirsty.

MDR staff I drop $10-15 to each one just a little bump on the first night because I love that cheese bread and tea on the table when i sit down and when I tip on the first day they seem to be little bit more on top of my requests and I see my food arrives before others around the room even before people that were seated before me.

At the end of the cruise you get WOW envelopes I load $20-40 in each envelope or how ever much i got left from my budget and basically divide whats left. For both MDR staff and the room attendant depending on how friendly, personable and their performance as far as service.

Some might not agree personally I think these folks deserve way more than I can afford. For the hours they work every day for 7 months straight without a day off. They stand to make a good living in their countries standards on the ships but not by my personal standards. Those American owned ships are registered in Nassau and Panama for a reason.

Edited by ceistre

Here's some valuable info. In dry dock the bartenders I talked with get a flat $700 a month. While underway, they are guaranteed $1200 a month, plus tips. That is so sad for the work they do. In the Concierge Lounge, you get drinks and hors d'oeuvres free. We leave $5 a night and more if they go above and beyond like scoring a special request bottle of wine or unobtanium mixer. At the end we also give them an envelop with a decent amount. In the suites or DP breakfast, we leave $2 each breakfast. We save all our ones and fives during the year to ensure folks that take care of us, are taken care of by us. If you have it to share, do so. They seriously appreciate it. Waiters and room stewards also get a decent envelop at cruise end. Many send the majority of their money back to families. One concierge bartender was so good to us and know she liked watches, we got her a nice watch at the end of the cruises. Since we do many back2back2backs we are with them a long time. On one cruise, one of the crew that cleaned the restrooms always had one sparkling and always was smiling and pleasant to us. We gave her $20 and she was crying. She never received a tip before. Cash in a crews hand is more personal than the standard gratuity that RCCL sucks out of the passengers to compensate for their meager wages. Plus, they don't have to report it. It's only money. What's in your wallet?

Ok, I did it. I calculated that a bartender gets paid $6.92 an hour, plus tips. With a beer that's $1.17 and a fruity drink that is $2.16 per drink. Pour an average of 10 drinks an hour, and they are getting $10 - 20 more per hour. Not bad for a bartender. I see nothing sad.

We tip porters 10 dollars on embark and disembark ( we always have 4 bags)

bartenders normally 1 dollar extra

a few dollars if we get room service

We normally tip 20 or more extra to room steward - depending on service

5-10 specialty restaurants

we bring 50 in 1's and 50 in 5's on cruise for tipping

Normally do not tip mdr extra ( only eat 1/2 our dinners there)

Ok, I did it. I calculated that a bartender gets paid $6.92 an hour, plus tips. With a beer that's $1.17 and a fruity drink that is $2.16 per drink. Pour an average of 10 drinks an hour, and they are getting $10 - 20 more per hour. Not bad for a bartender. I see nothing sad.

Sounds right.

2080 hours a year / 12 = 173 hours a month

$1200 / 173 = $6.93/hr

Average of $1.66 tip per drink. Average 10 drinks per hour = $16.6 per hour.

$16.6 + 6.93 = $23.53 x 173 hours = $4070.69 a month.

No idea if they pay income taxes or not but that's pretty good.

That's assuming they work 40 hour work weeks of course. Or if the grats are split on the drinks.

IF I get service that is above and beyond, I will tip extra. However, my standards have been set extremely high by amazing cabin attendants and servers on DCL, so the bar is EXTREMELY high. (And I am about as low-maintenance as they come. I don't need ice a zillion times a day. I don't care if you empty the fridge or not. I don't care if I get towel animals at all. I keep everything picked up, and even pull the covers up on the bed and leave the towels on the rack (supposedly the "don't wash it and thereby conserve water sign - have yet to have any cabin attendant or hotel housekeeper follow that one), etc. So "the basics" for me is pretty darn basic.)

I'm sure someone will say I shouldn't hold RCCL (or HAL or any other line - those are just the other 2 I have been on so far) to the same standards, but the service industry is the service industry. It shouldn't matter what line it is - outstanding service is outstanding service.

Do what is expected and you get the auto-grat. Blow my socks off, and you'll get extra

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly what do you mean by your statement?????? NOT??.....:rolleyes:

Maybe who they meant when they said no need to tip anyone NOT suggested to tip is... The Captain maybe? (Tongue firmly in cheek.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your automatic gratuities cover everyone that serves you.

If you are in a suite you should tip the bartenders there - either nightly or at the end of the week - as your drinks are free. Some people tip the concierge if he does a lot for them.

We booked our first suite (Junior Suite) for our upcoming cruise. What I am hearing you say is we get drinks for free. How does this work? Neither RCI or my travel agent has mentioned a thing about it and you have me very excited. ;)

Where is the bartender for the suites that gives out these free drinks? Thank you!

Free drinks are in the Suite Lounge. However, the Suite Lounge is only available to those in a Grand Suite and up and Pinnacle. Depending on the ship, it may also be available to D and D+. If you upgrade to Grand Suite, there are several additional perks.

Your automatic gratuities cover everyone that serves you.

We booked our first suite (Junior Suite) for our upcoming cruise. What I am hearing you say is we get drinks for free. How does this work? Neither RCI or my travel agent has mentioned a thing about it and you have me very excited. ;)

Where is the bartender for the suites that gives out these free drinks? Thank you!

Junior Suite is suite in name only. You get to queue in a different line during embarkation but that's it. The room is essentially a slightly larger balcony room.

We had JS on our honeymoon. Let me assure you that you are not invited to mingle with the ivory tower elite behind the velvet rope. lol