"Away" class to Jade... Will we be disappointed?

TheTides

Hello all! So our last 4 cruises, 2 have been on the Epic, one on the Getaway (perfect cruise), and our last was on the Celebrity Reflection. You could say we have a thing for new ships! Yet out latest issue, is we are getting tired of the same old itineraries the newer ships cruise to. Its hard to book the Escape for us for the pure fact, for a 7 day cruise, you get roughly 2 1/2 days in port. SO, with that being said, we are looking at the 7 day Jade out of Tampa. This would be our first cruise in a while going on a smaller boat, and wanted to hear your thoughts whether we will be disappointed in the overall experience, or will we enjoy the simpler way of cruising, the way it use to be (kind of).

Thanks again!

I think this is a difficult question to answer, because everybody is different. Some people are wowed by the bells and whistles and the ropes course and water slides. Some people just want good food and relaxation. You will need to ask yourself what it is about Epic and Getaway that you really liked. Was it the big ship and the extra activities (ropes course etc) that you know won't be on the Jade? Or was it the food and entertainment shows? Or did you just like the ambiance?

I do think that one thing is certain... if you go into your Jade cruise expecting the same kind of ship and experience that you had on your previous cruises, you will be sorely disappointed. You will find yourself comparing everything to your previous ships and find it lacking.

If you go in with an open mind and enjoy it (every day on the smallest of cruise ships is better than a day at the office!) then you will have a good time.

Edited by blackwing

I agree with Blackwing above. You have to think about what is important to you in a cruise and on a ship. And if it really is all the bells and whistles of a new ship, be it slides, ropes courses, or a lawn with real grass, you won't find that on the Jade. What made the Getaway the perfect cruise for you?

I think NCL's Jewel class ships (including the Jade) are a perfect size. I love that they have a real promenade deck, and I love the Great Outdoors. I don't care about slides and ropes courses on a ship. But keep in mind that they are older ships in terms of decor. They do not compare well on that score to Celebrity's S-class ships, which are stunningly beautiful.

I think only you can decide what's important to you.

My first reaction is no that it wouldn't be a problem going from BA class to Jewel class but as others have pointed out, it depends what you want.

FYI - the Jade is going into drydock around March of next year but I'm guessing your trip is before that.

I was in the similar boat to you, in that we've sailed the Epic and Escape for our last few cruises, and we'll be sailing the Jade for 10 days next January. I was concerned that we'd be bored for 10 days on a smaller ship. However, while we thoroughly enjoyed the big ships and all the activities they have to offer, I realized my DH and I really just like to relax on our balcony on cruises. That's where we spend the majority of our time. It's nice that the ropes course and all the extras are available on Escape, Getaway, etc...but we never used them on all of our big-ship cruises! So, I think we'll be okay. :-)

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for all the ideas.. Yes I will say one of the biggest things we enjoy would be the specialty restaurants and the ropes course/slides. It really does enhance our vacation. Dining outside during our last sailing was spectacular. Yet we do love the great outdoors, as it is one of our favorite places to relax during the day.

We have been on many different NCL ships and enjoyed them all. We now cruise for itinerary and price. :D:D

Each ship has its own pros and cons, but we do not care anymore. We just adapt to the cons wherever we cruise.

Fact: we love the Jewel class ships.

Edited by bluesea777

I have to admit, I have had the same sort of question. I am going from the Breakaway this past March to the Pearl next August. I am hoping that the fact we will be in Alaska and in a suite will make up for the fact that Pearl is so much older than Breakaway. Then again, I will be on a cruise and not stuck at home doing the same old routine so, I guess it really depends on how one looks at it, right?

For me, I look at it this way: I've been on breakaway and other big ships and enjoyed them. I have an upcoming cruise on the Jade-- Norwegian fjords. Not going on that one for the bells and whistles of the ship. When I cruise from NYC to the Bahamas, I have a much different perspective (next year probably won't even get off the ship!!). If the trip is about the ports, then any cruise ship will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the ideas.. Yes I will say one of the biggest things we enjoy would be the specialty restaurants and the ropes course/slides. It really does enhance our vacation. Dining outside during our last sailing was spectacular. Yet we do love the great outdoors, as it is one of our favorite places to relax during the day.

We did this transition last year from Getaway to the Jade. Truthfully, we liked the smaller ship more in some ways. For example, I preferred the magicians and stuff over the production shows on the getaway. Most specialty restaurants on the Getaway are on the Jade. I really want to sail on the Escape which I think has some bigger differences in that area with respect to restaurants and bars. We did miss eating outside at Cagney's and watching the ocean so that was a small bummer to not have that on the Jade. My nephew loved the ropes course and slides, but didn't really seem to miss them. I think if the trip is port intensive than the ship is less important so keep that in mind.

I'm in the same situation. I've only sailed the GA and the Escape and am booked on the Jade for Nov. we don't do shows or specialty restaurants, but did like the Vibe and water slides. I keep telling myself even if there is nothing to do, we can always just lounge and stare at the ocean!

Hello all! So our last 4 cruises, 2 have been on the Epic, one on the Getaway (perfect cruise), and our last was on the Celebrity Reflection. You could say we have a thing for new ships! Yet out latest issue, is we are getting tired of the same old itineraries the newer ships cruise to. Its hard to book the Escape for us for the pure fact, for a 7 day cruise, you get roughly 2 1/2 days in port. SO, with that being said, we are looking at the 7 day Jade out of Tampa. This would be our first cruise in a while going on a smaller boat, and wanted to hear your thoughts whether we will be disappointed in the overall experience, or will we enjoy the simpler way of cruising, the way it use to be (kind of).

Thanks again!

Well if I'm to be honest, my past NCL experiences have caused me to never book again anything older than Away Class. In fact, I cruised Dawn out of Tampa a couple years ago and it was awful. Some will say there's a big difference between Jade and Dawn, but there really isn't. I recommend finding a different cruise, especially if you like the newer, bigger ships.

This has been a concern of mine also. We have cruised on the Pearl, Jewel and POA then came the Epic and the Getaway. We loved all of them but favored both the Epic and the Getaway. Our upcoming cruise is on the Gem, it is 11 days with 3 sea days before we reach San Juan. I am afraid we might get a little bored after the first two especially since we were in the Haven on our last two cruises.

We did the Jade in March after doing Breakaway in July.

We were in the Haven on Breakaway and after that cruise I thought that was probably the only way I would do a mega ship again.

I was very worried about the Jade decor but was pleasantly surprised it wasn't an issue at all.

My 12 yr old son really enjoyed the slides and rope course on BA, but still had fun on the Jade. He really liked the kids' club.

We all really enjoyed the entertainment. Plus, the theater seats were comfortable! I'm not one to sit and listen to live music on a cruise ship, but Carlos in the martini bar area was so good we saw him most nights.

The spa on the Jade is great.

We went not expecting the same experience as BA and really enjoyed ourselves.

We did the Jade in March after doing Breakaway in July.

We were in the Haven on Breakaway and after that cruise I thought that was probably the only way I would do a mega ship again.

I was very worried about the Jade decor but was pleasantly surprised it wasn't an issue at all.

My 12 yr old son really enjoyed the slides and rope course on BA, but still had fun on the Jade. He really liked the kids' club.

We all really enjoyed the entertainment. Plus, the theater seats were comfortable! I'm not one to sit and listen to live music on a cruise ship, but Carlos in the martini bar area was so good we saw him most nights.

The spa on the Jade is great.

Carlos is fantastic!

I think this is the key-- know what to expect and have realistic expectations for each ship. I wouldn't necessarily go on the jade for the ship itself (especially having to fly to Europe first) but I am really looking forward to that trip.

We cruise NCL and Celebrity and prefer the smaller, older ships. The Epic was our least favorite ship. We felt crowded while on Epic. Also, the pool area was unusable due to the masses of people and loudspeaker blaring.

I prefer the smaller ships (Dawn, Jade, Spirit, etc) for the simple reason that when I disembark I don't feel like I've missed anything:) I get to experience everything the ship has to offer & that's what works for me!

Cheers,

Sandy