Are many men still wearing tuxedoes on gala nights?

luxurysailer

You can do as you please, my dh would not leave home with out his tux and white dinner jacket and I am so glad. Love how he looks in them. Makes our cruises extra special... we don't care what others do, we always get a table for two.

Zuiderdam - Northland Highlands and Baltic -Copenhagen to Copenhagen - May/June 2016.

Late seating dinner - first gala night 25% tux, most women gala dress, many dark suits. Second night - 2% tuxes, women still dressed up up but far more men down to very casual.

Uninspired menu, no special dining room decor. One dresses up that night because they want to; not because they have to.Not sure where HAL is really trying to go with this feature any longer. Maybe eliminate the gesture totally. Though most people did "dress up" a bit for dinner each night but this may be more the tradition of the late seating fixed dining option passengers than other dining options. I don't know.

Edited by OlsSalt

You can do as you please, my dh would not leave home with out his tux and white dinner jacket and I am so glad. Love how he looks in them. Makes our cruises extra special... we don't care what others do, we always get a table for two.

My thoughts exactly. My hubby could do without wearing his tux, but since I go gaga over him when he does wear it, he wears it! [emoji16]❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My DH no longer takes his TUX on Caribbean or shorter cruises in the U.S...Instead he wears a dark suit with tie.. I miss that as he looks wonderful in his TUX..:)

However, on the longer cruises such as the one we did on the Prinsendam, he brought both his TUX & his Suit & also wore a dark blue sport Jacket with slacks to board the ship..

Question for those who support the wearing of Military insigna and uniforms onboard:

How would you react if an Iranian couple is cruising and the gentleman is proudly wearing his Republican Guard Nr.1? How would an Israeli passenger react on this?

Or A Russian gentleman wearing his Russian Airforce uniform sitting next to a Turkish family or vice-versa?

An Argentine Officer proudly wearing his medals of the Islas Malvinas (Falkland) operation where he earned the distinction for sinking HMS Sheffield being seated next to the British family that lost an uncle during the Falkland War?

Not only NATO members cruise onboard HAL you know...

Military uniforms have NO place AT ALL onboard International market cruise ships.

One of the first things you learn when enlisted is to be AT ALL TIMES discreet and considerate to your environment, especially when wearing the Uniform.

I know that I will be in the minority here on this mainly North American forum, but that is my opinion, and I stick with it, being ex. Belgian Navy.

I will not dignify last post with an answer,but rest assured that I am very insulted.

I will suggest deletion of all post pertaining to this discussion, where I posted my own personal opinion, remaining polite, an opinion that is,granted ,not the same as a majority of Americans here.

I will also stop posting for now on this forum as a result of this insult as it is clear that opinions that differ from the general "American" view are not appreciated.

Despegue IMO you initiated the supposed insults by insulting those who choose to wear their uniforms on board ships..

Just because the Belgian Military is taught to not wear their uniforms, & be discrete, does not mean that other countries Military are supposed to be discrete & not wear theirs.. The U.S. Military Men & Women are told to wear their uniforms proudly & it is just as insulting for you to tell them otherwise..

My Mothers Cousin attained the rank of rear Admiral in the U.S. Navy & always wore his uniform proudly in both Civilian & Military venues.. If I see a Military Man or Woman in uniform , I also thank them for their service & would certainly not be ashamed of them.. If it were not for our Military we would all be living under the **** rule today! I'm so grateful to all Men & Woman in uniform regardless of what country it is..:)

Edited by serendipity1499

We've been away from HAL and Cruise Critic for a while, but coming back home to both. We'll be on the Koningsdam cruise from Amsterdam to Rome in September, and I'm wondering how men are dressing on gala nights. Are tuxedos still commonly worn, or if I bring my tux will I be overdressed and stick out like a sore thumb?

IMHO you will definitely stick out like a sore thumb. I have always cruised with two tuxes, burt recently I have felt way, way overdressed I will be wearing only sport jackets in the future.

Scott & Karen

Just got off Canadian Veendam cruise today June 11 and did not see any tuxes. No one was turned away from the MDR even those in polo shirts on Gala night. Not giving my opinion but just what I saw. Maybe there were a few tuxes somewhere but not many.

Just got off Canadian Veendam cruise today June 11 and did not see any tuxes. No one was turned away from the MDR even those in polo shirts on Gala night. Not giving my opinion but just what I saw. Maybe there were a few tuxes somewhere but not many.

As polo shirts meet HAL's requirements for Gala Night, I would hope no one would be turned away for wearing one.

You will not stick out like a "sore thumb" if you wear a tux, but you will stand out. In all the right ways. DH continues to wear his and the few other men who chose to also wear them on our last cruise looked terrific.

Why not, if you like to wear it. It is meant to be a special night. But since so many chose not to, there is no pressure to do anything special on these nights any longer.

Plus we like to dress up for our Pinnacle nights too, esp if it is the end of a long cruise. It is our private way of celebrating something that has been very, very special for us. We appreciate there are still places where wearing a tux (and formal gown for women) is still okay, and even expected. Go for it.

Zuiderdam - Northland Highlands and Baltic -Copenhagen to Copenhagen - May/June 2016.

Late seating dinner - first gala night 25% tux, most women gala dress, many dark suits. Second night - 2% tuxes, women still dressed up up but far more men down to very casual.

Uninspired menu, no special dining room decor. One dresses up that night because they want to; not because they have to.Not sure where HAL is really trying to go with this feature any longer. Maybe eliminate the gesture totally. Though most people did "dress up" a bit for dinner each night but this may be more the tradition of the late seating fixed dining option passengers than other dining options. I don't know.

We were on the same 24 night b2b but had anytime dining. On the 3rd Gala night (Baltic sea day 6th June) I only saw 2 men in tuxes. Very few in dark suits or suits on any kind for that matter. Mainly casual jackets.

It may well be that more people dress up for the fixed dining option.

As polo shirts meet HAL's requirements for Gala Night, I would hope no one would be turned away for wearing one.

Incorrect.

Polo shirts do not meet HAL's requirements on gala night and not on non-gala nights either for that matter.

From outside the Zuiderdam MDR on Gala night (a similar statement regarding polo shirts appeared on the smart casual night signs):

DSCF5215.JPG.67a68e6c626af668168cd0fdbe86e282.JPG

Edited by clivep

Incorrect.

Polo shirts do not meet HAL's requirements on gala night and not on non-gala nights either for that matter.

From outside the Zuiderdam MDR on Gala night (a similar statement regarding polo shirts appeared on the smart casual night signs):

As we all know, what happens on individual ships and what corporate HQ says don't always match. Sometimes it's just a question of the ships catching up to changing policies.

The current dress code reflected on HAL's website as well as in the Know Before You Go document sent to passengers both state "collared shirts" with no prohibition on polo shirts. I stand by my original post, where I addressed HAL's requirements, not those of the Zuiderdam.

As we all know, what happens on individual ships and what corporate HQ says don't always match. Sometimes it's just a question of the ships catching up to changing policies.

The current dress code reflected on HAL's website as well as in the Know Before You Go document sent to passengers both state "collared shirts" with no prohibition on polo shirts. I stand by my original post, where I addressed HAL's requirements, not those of the Zuiderdam.

These inconsistencies really bug me. For ages, they had formal nights with a jacket-required dress code. But enforcement varied from ship to ship. Sometimes maître D's gave out loaner jackets or turned jacketless men away. Sometimes jacketless men were welcomed as if it was not a formal night.

Now they've relaxed the dress code, but still enforce it unevenly (someone reported seeing a man in jeans and t-shirt on gala night). And now even the relaxed rules are changing from ship to ship.

Someone might read the website and think, OK, all I need are some polo shirts. They do have a collar, after all. Then he gets up to the doorway of the MDR and discovers that he has the wrong kind of "collared shirt."

The whole change to "gala night" is silly. Who do they think they're kidding? "Evoke past traditions." Really? Polo shirts are traditional??????????? (except on Zuiderdam, apparently) "Dress to impress." Again, really?????? I am not "impressed" by trousers and a collared shirt.

I like a formal night where everyone dresses up. That's one of the things I love about Cunard. But this is HAL. Their ships, their rules. DH still wears a suit and tie or sportcoat and tie. I wear a cocktail dress. (We save the "posh frocks" for Cunard) But if others don't dress up as much, as long as they meet the minimum dress code, they have as much right to be in the MDR as we do.

Come on, HAL, decide what your minimum is and make it clear and consistent so that passengers know what to expect.

While I wish HAL's rules were more consistent with shipboard practices, I find the obsession with what others are wearing a bit strange.

I was pleasantly surprised on my recent NCL cruise by their "Night Out", informally also called "dress up or not". There's no set dress code but people are encouraged on one night to get dressed up if they wish, and the Captain is available for photo ops. I really enjoyed the night.

I dressed relatively formally for the evening in my black Travelsmith blazer with matching slacks, a formal shirt, bow tie, and cumberbund. It was the same outfit I wore on the Veendam. It was not quite a tux (the main visual difference is that a tux would have a darker collar) but it was easily mistaken for a tux and I got some nice compliments:

nightout.jpg

While there were few others similarly dressed I did not feel at all out of place. If HAL would adopt this practice (preferably more than once per cruise) I would very much enjoy it. I also would much prefer to dine with my tablemates more casually dressed than with their empty chairs.

Roy

We've been away from HAL and Cruise Critic for a while, but coming back home to both. We'll be on the Koningsdam cruise from Amsterdam to Rome in September, and I'm wondering how men are dressing on gala ?

Very few

But it sounds like more do on the longer World cruises.

Edited by Jade13

While I wish HAL's rules were more consistent with shipboard practices, I find the obsession with what others are wearing a bit strange.

I was pleasantly surprised on my recent NCL cruise by their "Night Out", informally also called "dress up or not". There's no set dress code but people are encouraged on one night to get dressed up if they wish, and the Captain is available for photo ops. I really enjoyed the night.

While there were few others similarly dressed I did not feel at all out of place. If HAL would adopt this practice (preferably more than once per cruise) I would very much enjoy it. I also would much prefer to dine with my tablemates more casually dressed than with their empty chairs.

Roy

Essentially, Gala Nights are "dress up or not". Coat and tie preferred. Smart casual required.

• 3 weeks later...

Elegant nights are those I look forward to because it affords the opportunity to don one's finer apparel. Regardless of whether anyone else dresses, I'll be in a tux or the equivalent.

We gents don't have many occasions to compliment the ladies - this is one of them.

Rep

Elegant nights are those I look forward to because it affords the opportunity to don one's finer apparel. Regardless of whether anyone else dresses, I'll be in a tux or the equivalent.

We gents don't have many occasions to compliment the ladies - this is one of them.

Rep

Amen, brother!

We like the change from formal night to gala night. HAL is providing us with choice. That is a plus for us.

We are among those who really do not know what all the fuss is about.

Agree completely with rafinmd...the obsession about what others are wearing is very strange to us. Most especially in a leisure travel environment. Is it conformity, insecurity?

Edited by iancal

Rep

Now, that's what I'm talking about!! Many ladies love to dress up, but we love it even more when our men do!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We like the change from formal night to gala night. HAL is providing us with choice. That is a plus for us.

We are among those who really do not know what all the fuss is about.

Agree completely with rafinmd...the obsession about what others are wearing is very strange to us. Most especially in a leisure travel environment. Is it conformity, insecurity?

Some see 'dressing up' as enhancing the environment of a grand evening with dinner, drinks, and a show. Many crave putting on tuxedoes, black suits, and grand gowns since, for many, their social events are all casual 'come as you are', The ship opportunity to 'dress up' means a lot.

Anyone riding Cunard's fabulous Queen Elizabeth 11 for the 7-8 days on the Atlantic knows the dress codes very well. They are strict. Banquet evenings are black suits and fabulous gowns and those not wearing suitable attire are stopped from entering. I have observed this personally when a couple behind us were turned away while wearing country club level clothing - gay colors and rather smart attire. The maitre d' was gentle but firm and he offered to have one of his assistants guide the pair to other on board eateries.

HAL has never held to their dress suggestions and I have seen all manner of clothing coming to dinner in the main dining room. Personally I would not wear a tuxedoe to a dinner on a HAL vessel. On 'The Queen' I would do it every night.

Edited by 2old4this

Some see 'dressing up' as enhancing the environment of a grand evening with dinner, drinks, and a show. Many crave putting on tuxedoes, black suits, and grand gowns since, for many, their social events are all casual 'come as you are', The ship opportunity to 'dress up' means a lot.

Anyone riding Cunard's fabulous Queen Elizabeth 11 for the 7-8 days on the Atlantic knows the dress codes very well. They are strict. Banquet evenings are black suits and fabulous gowns and those not wearing suitable attire are stopped from entering. I have observed this personally when a couple behind us were turned away while wearing country club level clothing - gay colors and rather smart attire. The maitre d' was gentle but firm and he offered to have one of his assistants guide the pair to other on board eateries.

HAL has never held to their dress suggestions and I have seen all manner of clothing coming to dinner in the main dining room. Personally I would not wear a tuxedoe to a dinner on a HAL vessel. On 'The Queen' I would do it every night.

I wear mine to dinner on Gala nights, but we eat in the Pinnacle Grill or Tamarind on those nights.