Shoe organizers

I took one when I was on 3 B2B cruises. And I also bought some magnets at Home Depot to help hold it into place when I put it on the door so it didn't swing around when opening and closing the door.

My stateroom attendant asked me where I got it cause he said it would be great for him since he was married and his wife was on the ship also. So... I gave it to him at the end of that cruise. :)

Plastic shoe over the door organizer is a must cruise with item. On our last cruise I gave ours to one of the Guest Service people who had been into our stateroom to see a problem we were having. She commented on what a great thing the plastic shoe organizer was. The staff share staterooms with not much storage space available - women seem to have more needs than the guys for space for items. I just knew I going to give her the organizer with the over the door hooks at the end of our cruise. She was so thankful. I was happy to do this. I can easily buy another one at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
False!

Female here who sees no need for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree; took one on my first cruise and haven't found the need for another one. There is plenty of space in the bathroom for all items. I don't leave anything out on the counter. The desk space has a small drawer perfect for makeup and all the accessories. Hairdryer goes in the cabinet about the tv/safe. There is also storage on the sides of the mirror at the desk. We use only one side.

Originally Posted by WrittenOnYourHeart View Post

False!

Female here who sees no need for one.

I agree; took one on my first cruise and haven't found the need for another one. There is plenty of space in the bathroom for all items. I don't leave anything out on the counter. The desk space has a small drawer perfect for makeup and all the accessories. Hairdryer goes in the cabinet about the tv/safe. There is also storage on the sides of the mirror at the desk. We use only one side.

Sigh- There are many people who like to be contrary on Cruise Critic. Some argumentative. Some want to post just for the sake of building their personal posts.

Have been following this thread and enjoying all for the great feedback. I had heard about the shoe organizers and thought perfect, should take one, but though they do not take up a lot of luggage room, when I folded one up found could put several sundress or at least one (maybe 2) outfits in same amount of space. I am one that does not like clutter and also not one for things hanging or out in sight. We have found plenty of room in the vanity and bathroom cabinets to hold those type of things ....though there is just DH and myself ....but we do take quite a bit of products. But, if it works for you ....great! And love the many ideas from CC ... I did take a magnet clip and worked perfect, will take several next time.

That being said .... as I was packing for our past cruise I thew in a 9x9x8 collapsible non-wovan storage container I had (got at 99cent store).....took up no room in luggage and it was great for all those things that just seem to collect on counters ....chargers glasses, books, camera, just stuff, etc. Worked so well, I bought another as well as an 11.5x8.5x4.75 thinking it will hold all those cruise compasses/flyers/papers we all seem to collect. Just wanted to share this as really do appreciate all the great ideas from CC.

I travel with a friend and don't want to leave my toiletry bag hanging in the bathroom. I just hang it in the closet and grab it on my way into the bathroom. I use one like panda3 posted pictures of. It is necessary on Princess since their cabins have very little storage space. I haven't used it on Royal Caribbean but may on my next cruise. It is convenient. I would never hang one over the door because of the damage they cause.

I travel with a friend and don't want to leave my toiletry bag hanging in the bathroom. I just hang it in the closet and grab it on my way into the bathroom. I use one like panda3 posted pictures of. It is necessary on Princess since their cabins have very little storage space. I haven't used it on Royal Caribbean but may on my next cruise. It is convenient. I would never hang one over the door because of the damage they cause.

We have hung ours outside the bathroom door as well as hooking over hangers and hanging in closet. The top has 4 or 5 holes into which hooks that come with it go and you hook those over top of bathroom door. I do not understand why people have written they do damage to doors.

We used this on our last cruise and hung it over the closet door. Very helpful for the odds and ends- sunscreen, hairbrushes, shoes etc. there were four of us in the room so space was at a premium.

I will also add that the small magnetic hooks were very helpful. Hung them on the main wall and used it to organize the daily compass, hang lanyards, hats etc. now we have them at home on our washer/dryer. Bought for under $10 on Amazon.

Do people really need shoe organizers? I bring more shoes than many guys and get by just fine. I bring dressier shoes,running shoes and at least 1 pair of sandals.

They fit fine under the bed or in the closet or under the desk..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Do people really need shoe organizers? I bring more shoes than many guys and get by just fine. I bring dressier shoes,running shoes and at least 1 pair of sandals.

Top of the closet for us.

Most use them to store small bathroom items. Also helps to keep the sink area clear. Cabin stewards probably appreciate that when they clean the bathroom daily.

Most use them to store small bathroom items. Also helps to keep the sink area clear. Cabin stewards probably appreciate that when they clean the bathroom daily.

If you need an organizer for toiletries than you are bringing too much stuff.

the shoe organizer is not for shoes - it is for toiletries, cosmetics, lotions, meds, extra sun glasses, etc...

We have hung ours outside the bathroom door as well as hooking over hangers and hanging in closet. The top has 4 or 5 holes into which hooks that come with it go and you hook those over top of bathroom door. I do not understand why people have written they do damage to doors.

It's the door FRAME that sustains the damage. The doors are made to fit snugly. You throw something over the top, and those hooks that hold it there bang into the door frame which leads to chipped paint and eventually dents which cause the door to not close properly.

Speak for yourself, oh judgmental one. :rolleyes:

I travel with my teenaged son. Other than toothpaste, body powder, cotton swabs, and sunscreen, none of our toiletries do double-duty for each of us.

We use different hair cleansing products and different hair styling/conditioning products.

We use different antiperspirant.

We use different scented products.

I wear contact lenses and have saline solution for that.

I'm a redhead and must bring copious amounts of sunscreen; my son inherited a decent amount of my melanin-deficit and also burns easily.

I have very long hair and use a variety of functional and decorative hair accessories to keep it contained, and my son and I each have a hairbrush.

We each have sunglasses, lanyards, and phone chargers.

I bring a tiny first aid kit with bandaids, allergy meds, ibuprofen, etc.

I also bring hand lotion, nail clippers, nail file, lip balm, etc., plus the aforementioned cotton swabs and body powder.

It's very rare that we don't use every item that is hanging in the organizer, therefore each item is useful/necessary to us.

And because everything is easily visible and organized (my stuff on the left, kid's stuff on the right, shared products in the middle), my kid never has to ask me where the sunscreen is, or where the ibuprofen is, or whatever. He doesn't have to wonder if it's in the cubby in the bathroom, in the cabinets behind the desk mirror, in one of the desk drawers, or somewhere in the closet. If he's in the bathroom and I need hand lotion or sunscreen, I still have access to it hanging on the outside of the door.

If you don't want to use an organizer, don't use one. It's that simple. But for people who find it useful, it's an extremely convenient tool.

It's the door FRAME that sustains the damage. The doors are made to fit snugly. You throw something over the top, and those hooks that hold it there bang into the door frame which leads to chipped paint and eventually dents which cause the door to not close properly.

Shows what you know -- the doors do NOT fit that snugly, and neither the door nor the frame are damaged to the point of causing the door to no longer close properly. I can actually move the hooks from side to side when the door is closed, there is so much space between the door and the frame.

It's theoretically possible for the hooks to swing back and forth along the door, causing some crescent-shaped scratches, but I've never experienced it myself. All my hooks have a vinyl coating on them to prevent that from happening, or a small section of tape placed on the hook would provide the necessary cushioning effect for uncoated hooks.

We usually hang ours somewhere in the cabin and not necessarily on a door. We use ours for everything small. Chargers, makeup, hair clips, sunscreen, medication, etc. Although there is a lot of storage in the cabin I dislike having to rummage around in each drawer etc. to find where I put what I am currently needing. It also saves me from having to rummage around trying to find where I put what my husband is needing at the moment. Everything is in one place and in plain sight. It makes it easier to pack up at the end too since you can just empty the hanger and have everything packed except for clothes and shoes. The shoe organizers really work for us even for land vacations.

Never found the need for one. Plenty of drawer storage and plenty of bathroom storage

For us it is more for the organization of 'stuff' and less about storage. If I put it in a drawer I will not find it again[emoji15]

I'm never used one on a cruise, although I have given it some thought. I like to hang robes, coverups, etc on the inside of the bathroom door and it seems to me, if you hang it on the outside of the door it would make that area look cluttered & crowded and be in the way. Just my opinion. Personally, I have found plenty of storage for those type of items and I guess we have cruised enough that I have it all down to a science & organized so that I know exactly where things are, but out of sight. I do enjoy reading other people's tips & tricks because you never know when you'll find one that works for you!

Edited by CMurph

We hang ours on the outside of the door, and it's not just for toiletries. Sticky notes, pens/highlighters, sea passes, sunglasses, excursion tickets, hair brushes, clips, chargers, etc. Things that are easy to forget or that clutter up the counter. I often travel with a sister or my daughter, so there are twice as many girly things around the room. Hair spray, suntan lotion, or other things that are accessible if somebody is in the little girls room while the other is getting ready.

Add a third woman to the room, and it's darn near essential.

If I'm traveling solo, it stays home.

Edited by Goes Cruising

and it seems to me, if you hang it on the outside of the door it would make that area look cluttered & crowded and be in the way. Just my opinion.

In the way, how exactly? :confused:

Only way I see something 2 inches deep that is hung on the door to be "in the way" would be if you come back to the room so drunk that you need to slide yourself along the wall to get to the bed... in which case the bathroom door handle is going to give you a heck of a hip bruise every single day! :D